(Topic ID: 177042)

LEDs for Gottlieb System3 (Surf 'N Safari)

By CrocRod

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by CrocRod
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160406_112339 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrocRod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello,

I recently bought a Surf 'n Safari and am doing some minor cosmetic work on it. The game is playable, but looks a little worse for wear. I'm interested in brightening it up by swapping out the lightbulbs for LEDs.

Looking for some advice on what LEDs would be good to use in this machine. I checked out cometpinball.com and was quickly overwhelmed with choices I see that "ghosting" can also be an issue on system3 machines, so I'm curious what others' experiences have been like and if it's worth paying more for "non-ghosting" bulbs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#5 7 years ago

Thanks Frank! Sorry for the newbie questions, but here goes:

1. www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050ng.htm. Are these the bulbs that you used? Do you recall what color you went with? I don't see a sunlight white option; just "natural" or "warm". Also, to confirm, did you use these same white bulbs everywhere except under the yellow playfield inserts?

2. Which bulbs did you use for the GI? I see that the link (above) on Comet's page says "These bulbs are slightly wider than our standard bulbs and do not fit into the GI of 90s Gottlieb games, which use smaller holes than all other manufacturers.", so not sure what would be the preferred bulbs to use on the GI.

Thanks again.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks guys! This definitely steers me in the right direction. I'll do a bit more research and put in my order on comet pinball next week.

Cheers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrocRod.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-for-gottlieb-system3-surf-n-safari?tu=CrocRod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.