Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3615.jpg
blue.jpg
firepower=led.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Who has done this? What looks good? What looks like crap?Playfield and backglass wise. Recommendations and opinions please.

#2 9 years ago

Maybe I should have put this post in the Modding section?

#3 9 years ago

I have LEDs in my Firepower. GI, backbox, and under PF. I have Cointaker frosted cool white in the GI and Backbox. Cointaker retro and 180 wide mostly color matched in the inserts. I have green in the opaque white inserts to add some color to them.
I like the way they look, they bring out the colors in the inserts, and the frosteds in the backbox brighten up the BG and bring out the details that you can't see with the incandescent bulbs.

Phoebe

#4 9 years ago

I added blue to the top left and right. I think the blue is a nice contrast with all that red.
I tried blue LEDs for the flipper GI lights, but I did not like that. Most of my GI lights are frosted white. For the BK, I only use half of the available sockets. Using all the sockets made the BK very bright and caused a nasty glare on the PF glass.

firepower=led.jpgfirepower=led.jpg

blue.jpgblue.jpg

#5 9 years ago

I don't know how to wire a pin and I'm scared of frying my Firepower boards. But I always thought a blue and red under cabinet LEDs would look great. They would lite with the Fire and the Power.

#6 9 years ago

Hey thanks for everyones suggestions! Keep them coming. The beauty of LED's, it seems, is the endless amount of combos you can try to suite your own tastes. Are single diode lights more than enough for any application?

3 months later
#7 8 years ago

Thought I'd jump on this thread rather than starting another.. I just LED'ed my FP and have come up with an issue I didn't expect:

Has anyone else had problems with the LED insert lights and staying on when they shouldn't be on? I guess this might be extreme ghosting (or just ghosting in general? I thought that ghosting was when there was some flicker going on, not the LED being full on when it shouldn't be) ? Not all the inserts I did are problems, but for example the bonus inserts, kickback light, and the power targets all have issues. I changed the bonus inserts back to incandescent and the problem went away on those.

I'm assuming that maybe I should have gotten higher quality bulbs..ie non-ghosting? Anyone else have issues like this or suggestions?

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#8 8 years ago

I swapped out most of my under-playfield bulbs a couple of nights ago. I have a few that have some ghosting but it's very faint. Everything else works just fine. Not too helpful for you but at least you know that someone that has done the swap hasn't run into the same issues.

Dino Z.

#9 8 years ago

Well i have converted my Firepower to LED'S and really like the way it turned out. I went with Comet single diode (frosted)Underside bulbs are color matched to insert colors. Red ones under the lane guides, red behind the left side "Fire" targets and blue behind the right."Power" side targets. I really like the back glass using blues behind the spaceships and the use of red at the top where it says Firepower. The only flickering problem I have is in the pop bumpers.

#10 8 years ago

My Firepower has LED and looks great.
But yes I did have some inserts that refused to turn off completely.
For me it was the I in FIRE, the 20 White bonus light, the 3X Green bonus light, and the orange 5 standup target light. Had to put incandescents in all of those.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

But yes I did have some inserts that refused to turn off completely.
For me it was the I in FIRE, the 20 White bonus light, the 3X Green bonus light, and the orange 5 standup target light. Had to put incandescents in all of those.

huh. that's so weird. I wish those ones were the only ones I was having issues with though haha.. got quite a few more. I thought maybe it could have something to do with a couple color changers I was testing out but I haven't delved into it further yet.

Yeah the blues and reds really do pop now though.. wired in reds under the 3 multiball saucers that turn on with the arrows -- love the way it looks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-for-firepower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.