Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_0163.JPG
    IMG_0748.JPG
    #1 8 years ago

So, stupid question..

For replacing a light in a game that uses a bulb condom, how come none of the LEDs come with colored domes, so that these sleeves don't have to be used?

Or am I missing something (like, people just leave them white?, or they are available somewhere I didn't see?) or are they just not made with colored domes?

#2 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

So, stupid question..
    For replacing a light in a game that uses a bulb condom, how come none of the LEDs come with colored domes, so that these sleeves don't have to be used?
    Or am I missing something (like, people just leave them white?, or they are available somewhere I didn't see?) or are they just not made with colored domes?

I think most people just leave the white domes. I'm not sure how the colored domes would look and I don't believe a condom will fit over the LED domes.

Personally I have always preferred the "classy" look of colored incandescent bulbs in those type of locations.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I think most people just leave the white domes. I'm not sure how the colored domes would look and I don't believe a condom will fit over the LED domes.
    Personally I have always preferred the "classy" look of colored incandescent bulbs in those type of locations.

Condoms can fit just fine over certain LED bulbs. I have green condoms over LED bulbs in my Creature Feature on MB and they look great (the green is not blown out/white as it appears in the picture):

IMG_0748.JPGIMG_0748.JPG
    #4 8 years ago

Condoms will fit over the LEDs - but it's a tight squeeze. I use a frosted dome LED and it disperses the light well.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

I've never used the clear colored bulbs before - I've always stuck with the sleeves before. How's the clear colored ones look?

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Condoms can fit just fine over certain LED bulbs. I have green condoms over LED bulbs in my Creature Feature on MB and they look great (the green is not blown out/white as it appears in the picture):

IMG_0748.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Quoted from Damonator:

Condoms will fit over the LEDs - but it's a tight squeeze. I use a frosted dome LED and it disperses the light well.

Thanks guys - know which LEDs you used? All of the ones I got as a trial (from Cointaker) were too large for my sleeves.

Was there a reason they didn't color any of the domes, regardless?

#7 8 years ago

There Are colored dome leds from caretaker.....when lit they are fully colored.

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=A975EC958A945DB876313FF6DF0BD62E.m1plqscsfapp04?categoryId=6

If the aesthetic doen't bother you when the machine is off that is these are great. I have them in my STTNG and FH.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Ditto . Try Novus 1 to slide condom over bulb. LED change form year to year even from the same vender. If I recall CoinTaker frosted looked horrible . The domes were white not frosted . They were also short . I used them on STAR WARS . And there was space / air between the condom and bulb . But it worked . Hell just spit on the damn bulb and slide on . I may have cut a small slit at the condom bottom even . The LED above the ramp are clear frosted. But the CoinTaker are above the drop targets and are yellow with the condom over them.

100_0163.JPG100_0163.JPG

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I've never used the clear colored bulbs before - I've always stuck with the sleeves before. How's the clear colored ones look?

...as I said, classy. I like them.

I have never noticed anyone putting a sleeve / condom over a frosted dome LED, but from the pics it looks better than just the white (when not lit) frosted domes.

#10 8 years ago

One can put a condom on an 8mm or 10mm domed LED to get as close as possible to a condom on an incandescent.

It can be done to a SMD as well.

The reason for the lens not being colored, is up until a 1 SMD 5050, they reduce the light output too much, and its only purpose would to be aesthetic.....so you see color when not lit.

With newer and brighter LEDs it is now possible to color the lens, and have good brightness.
    We will be releasing Purple with a purple lens and a write up soon. It took 5 or 6 revisions.
    Id say 6 months, and maybe about $1K out of pocket to develop plus time.
    I did so, because of the never ending emails on Purple, and it has broader use.
    To do each bulb, in each color, in both bases, in all colors, is around 10K in an investment.

I will grant you, they will look nice, but with people only buying a couple for external signs, it will take
    somewhere between 15-18 years to sell out initial stock, and maybe 10 years to break even.

While we may want it, and I get lots of emails to make things that are needed and wanted, it just doesnt make business sense to invest the money and time to produce.

I am not certain, but I think pinballcenter.eu may have some.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

One can put a condom on an 8mm or 10mm domed LED to get as close as possible to a condom on an incandescent.
    It can be done to a SMD as well.
    The reason for the lens not being colored, is up until a 1 SMD 5050, they reduce the light output too much, and its only purpose would to be aesthetic.....so you see color when not lit.
    With newer and brighter LEDs it is now possible to color the lens, and have good brightness.
    We will be releasing Purple with a purple lens and a write up soon. It took 5 or 6 revisions.
    Id say 6 months, and maybe about $1K out of pocket to develop plus time.
    I did so, because of the never ending emails on Purple, and it has broader use.
    To do each bulb, in each color, in both bases, in all colors, is around 10K in an investment.
    I will grant you, they will look nice, but with people only buying a couple for external signs, it will take
    somewhere between 15-18 years to sell out initial stock, and maybe 10 years to break even.
    While we may want it, and I get lots of emails to make things that are needed and wanted, it just doesnt make business sense to invest the money and time to produce.
    I am not certain, but I think pinballcenter.eu may have some.

Okay, well that explains why I don't see them then..! Thanks for the info!

#12 8 years ago

I use bulb condoms on my LED bulbs for my F-14 divertor. The condoms are a tight fit at the base of the bulb. I find there is still an air gap around the bulb too. I have tried multiple types of bulbs. The 1 LED 6.3V AC/DC 8MM DOMED-BULLET SUPERIOR PINBALL LED ( http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/8mm-led.htm?1=1&CartID=0) from Comet worked best for me. I found them to be a little short, but not enough to bother me.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks.

The 8mm work with some signs that are thin, or how the socket is positioned.
    Otherwise one can use a 10mm

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1ledbullet.htm

Equally, in the opposite direction, using frosted color, we have sold and used 6mm.
    Short, like a lit "bubble". Clear as well.
    Any sign....its a neat look.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1retroled.htm

Ill have to add that to my pictures list.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-bulb-sleeves and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.