Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pafasa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    IMG_20130710_192220.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Been thinking of adding white LEDs around the score reels on my EMs. Was just thinking of placing them in the holders that light up the reels.

Not looking to do the rest of the backglass, or playfield..just a thought I had.

Games range from 1961-78.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

#2 10 years ago

Until there is an LED that is the same color temp. as an incandescent bulb, I will not use them for GI. I do use them for under play field inserts and occasional accent with a slow fade color change, but that's it.

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Until there is an LED that is the same color temp. as an incandescent bulb, I will not use them for GI. I do use them for under play field inserts and occasional accent with a slow fade color change, but that's it.

There is.

The warm white frosted from Pinballbulbs.com.

#4 10 years ago

Stick them in, see what you think. You can take them out if you like!!

#5 10 years ago

I use the Retro Led from coin taker. Honestly I cant really tell too much of a difference

--Jeff

#6 10 years ago

Xenon, I have tried both Cointaker and recently the Pinballbulbs. I still think they are too blue. Do a side by side comparison and you will see. I used them under the play field, but the color is not as 'warm' as an incandescent bulb. We have gone over this several times on other discussion threads. If there is enough feedback, perhaps one of these companies will develop one that really is a direct replacement. I wouldn't use them on the play field anyway, I want the originality of the old fashioned bulbs where you can see them.

#7 10 years ago

Hmm... I have had several "anal" Bally guys over and until I pointed out the GI was LED, they didn't even notice with the PB Warm White Frosteds. I am totally in favor of having a LED that is an EXACT match to the color temp of the incandescent. I am really happy the PB version and have them in about half of my games now.

I know many people still have to have that "look" of the incandescent bulb and respect that. It took me a long time to even think of converting.

#8 10 years ago

Xenon, I have tried both Cointaker and recently the Pinballbulbs. I still think they are too blue. Do a side by side comparison and you will see. I used them under the play field, but the color is not as 'warm' as an incandescent bulb. We have gone over this several times on other discussion threads. If there is enough feedback, perhaps one of these companies will develop one that really is a direct replacement. I wouldn't use them on the play field anyway, I want the originality of the old fashioned bulbs where you can see them.

I agree, PinballBulbs and Cointaker frosted LEDs come from the same supplier and are identical besides some slight variations in dome type and ring type. As for color, when I got my sample pack from PBB it had 2 really warm odd ball ones that looked exactly like incandescents. Others are more of a pure white with a slight hint of pink/blue, with noticeable variations. They look like fluorescents to me. I was hoping there would be more of those spot-on looking ones in future orders but that doesn't seem to be the case. But it's China, you can't really complain. To clarify the LED on the left is the best one, compared to the rest on the right. The one on the bottom has more of a pinkish look to it.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#9 10 years ago

Has anyone seen the retro LED bulbs at the Silverball Museum. All of his machines use them. Just think of the power savings not only from the lower current bulbs, but also from the reduced heat.

They look pretty realistic. They sell them from their online store. Not cheap ( buck a piece for 200, 100 for $120) but the look is pretty great.

I'm thinking hard about at least trying some.

#10 10 years ago

I put CoinTaker retro warm white's in my Hercules and it looks great. Is it an incandescent, no, but it also takes up way less power, produces way less heat and really the looks is more than acceptable to me. When I took it to TPF for the first time in 2012 most didn't even notice it had a full LED conversion. When I do my Flip Flop later this summer it will get a full LED treatment as well.

If you can get past being a purist then LED's, when done tastefully, have more pros than cons. Also, there will come a day when incandescents will be NLA, might as well get used to using LED's now and gain from the benefits.

#11 10 years ago

I havent had time to read all the topics on this forum, not enough time in the day, but I do have a question abought LEDs.
    I have an older Williams game (60s) that came with yellow factory LEDs on the playfield. You install these or remove them just like an 44 or 47 bulb.
    So these bulbs must be rather old but light up rather nicely (??) how long have these yellow LED`s been around?

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I agree, PinballBulbs and Cointaker frosted LEDs come from the same supplier and are identical besides some slight variations in dome type and ring type. As for color, when I got my sample pack from PBB it had 2 really warm odd ball ones that looked exactly like incandescents. Others are more of a pure white with a slight hint of pink/blue, with noticeable variations. They look like fluorescents to me. I was hoping there would be more of those spot-on looking ones in future orders but that doesn't seem to be the case. But it's China, you can't really complain. To clarify the LED on the left is the best one, compared to the rest on the right. The one on the bottom has more of a pinkish look to it.

Really, I think not. One that we let them go for quality issues. But I hear the PB/Nifty bought our product to copy, so it would look similar. We are continuing to be the leading pinball LED company and bring new product to the community.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

Really, I think not. One that we let them go for quality issues. But I hear the PB/Nifty bought our product to copy, so it would look similar. We are continuing to be the leading pinball LED company and bring new product to the community.

Cointaker has been great for the pinball community. As they claim, they really have brought great products to the pinball community. Before starting our own company, we'd bought from Cointaker once or twice before and had talked to Chris/Melissa at shows, etc. and they are nice people that are also helpful.

We decided to go into business for ourselves, selling pinball LEDs, because we saw it was a good idea and also that we could offer similar/same products for better prices (as we all know, competition drives prices down).

Honestly, we don't feel like we're "copying" Cointaker; these types of bulbs have been around for a longer time in the automotive industry... See examples for yourself www.autolumination.com . Pinballers are lucky that similar bulbs aren't sold for as much since we all buy in larger quantities.

Just for the record, we have no ill-will or maintain no grudges towards Cointaker (in fact, we respect them) and the same goes for Pinballbulbs, who also seem like great people. There is already a lot of negativity in the pinball world and we don't want to add to it... We're just a couple of guys that also like pinball and want to contribute further to the hobby and we just hope that Cointaker and Pinballbulbs feel the same about us.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from NiftyLED:

Cointaker has been great for the pinball community. As they claim, they really have brought great products to the pinball community. Before starting our own company, we'd bought from Cointaker once or twice before and had talked to Chris/Melissa at shows, etc. and they are nice people that are also helpful.
    We decided to go into business for ourselves, selling pinball LEDs, because we saw it was a good idea and also that we could offer similar/same products for better prices (as we all know, competition drives prices down).
    Honestly, we don't feel like we're "copying" Cointaker; these types of bulbs have been around for a longer time in the automotive industry... See examples for yourself http://www.autolumination.com . Pinballers are lucky that similar bulbs aren't sold for as much since we all buy in larger quantities.
    Just for the record, we have no ill-will or maintain no grudges towards Cointaker (in fact, we respect them) and the same goes for Pinballbulbs, who also seem like great people. There is already a lot of negativity in the pinball world and we don't want to add to it... We're just a couple of guys that also like pinball and want to contribute further to the hobby and we just hope that Cointaker and Pinballbulbs feel the same about us.

I agree that leds have been around and yes there are automotive bulbs...but like I've said many times before...we do not just order our bulbs online...we actually travel abroad meet our manufacturer's and yes, we do actually design our bulbs to meet the requirements for pinball and are constantly trying to design new product for the pinball community.

But for someone to say that they come from the same manufacturer, really....just because they may look almost the same does not mean they are the same....for instance, do they meet the new ROHS standards? Cointaker's do....etc....there are alot of variances out there...just pointing certain things out. That's like going to NY and purchasing a Louis Vuitton purse knockoff....you get what you pay for....are you going to say it's made from the same manufacturer because it looks the same and serves the same purpose? That's fine...it gives people choices but to confuse people by saying that they are made by the same company is just wrong.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from mam3063:

are you going to say it's made from the same manufacturer because it looks the same and serves the same purpose? That's fine...it gives people choices but to confuse people by saying that they are made by the same company is just wrong.

James himself said they are from the same manufacturer, and the exact same look, weight, and light color seem to back that up. Otherwise I can't see how you're prepared to argue that yours are unique/superior.

#16 10 years ago

I use standard led concaves from pinballlife. I am a led head so the whole backglass is led

IMG_20130710_192220.jpgIMG_20130710_192220.jpg

#17 10 years ago

Any LED`s good for pinball made in the USA?

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from fflint_18:

Has anyone seen the retro LED bulbs at the Silverball Museum. All of his machines use them. Just think of the power savings not only from the lower current bulbs, but also from the reduced heat.
    They look pretty realistic. They sell them from their online store. Not cheap ( buck a piece for 200, 100 for $120) but the look is pretty great.
    I'm thinking hard about at least trying some.

I got a bunch from them a while back. Put them in my gulfstream and firepower on the PF, looks great to me. I got used to the "strobe light effect" they have on the ball.

I got some from pinballbulbs, too. They seem a bit brighter than the Silverball ones, but I could be wrong.

If you buy them at the Silverball (not their website) you can get them for $1 in any quantity.

Worth it, IMO, for the heat reduction alone!

#19 10 years ago

I like colored LED's in the white spaces on EM back glasses.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#20 10 years ago

That looks great even sideways!

#21 10 years ago

Anything you can do to reduce the amount of heat behind your precious painted backglass
    is a good thing. And they are pretty.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

That, i like.

#23 10 years ago

reckon this looks great

#24 10 years ago

kaleidoscope ,I like it.

#25 10 years ago

yah for the non inserts, you wont get any ghosting or strobing. I actually dont have a problem with that even in my inserts.

#26 10 years ago

Here's a pic link of an early wedgehead (Sweethearts) I just finished with LEDs under inserts. While you can't tell from this, the 'white' inserts look great with these bulbs since they are a bit more 'cool' and brighten the yellowed inserts. Also regular bulbs not as bright, see the right side target ladder, second one up, is incandescent for comparison. The LEDs look like they wash out the color, but it is more about the camera effect.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/113822175696968990275/Sweethearts#5899780319505252098

#27 10 years ago

Hay stashy, I'm looking at a sweet hearts locally in the next few days. The cabinet has been repainted. Did you stencil and repaint yours?

#28 10 years ago

Na, I got it that way (well with a few issues) It was repainted by Pin Rescue several years ago for a crazy price!

#29 10 years ago

Got it. If I end up with this one, I will need to find a source for the original cabinet art.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-around-the-score-reels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.