Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinballBJB
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8B3244EC-553A-4B6A-832A-E5FC34C2935B (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

This is my first post to this forum thread. I have a nice Paragon that I restored about 6 months ago. I am finally getting around to installing LEDs. It doesn't seem to matter which type I purchase - cool white or warm white - you can still see the bulb spots through the BG. I am using standard dome shaped LEDs. Is there a different LED style that I should consider putting in the BG that makes the light look more similar to #44/47 bulbs?

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

I use these behind backglasses and paint the tops white. Still allows a little light through, but won't spot and light disperses well out the side. I have them in my Paragon now, but I think I may go back to 47s since it looks a little washed out.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd.htm

#3 1 year ago

Take a black sharpie and color the tips of every bulb.

#4 1 year ago

For Paragon, these are my favorite LEDs. The light has a wonderful quality and they look just like bulbs. The light comes from putting electricity through a special LED filament that heats up and converts the energy to light.

8B3244EC-553A-4B6A-832A-E5FC34C2935B (resized).jpeg

PS: Yes, I’m having a bit of fun. It’s obviously a picture of a light bulb. LEDs done right are great in modern games. But I’ve never liked them in classic games. I’ve seen a lot of conversions, and I’ve done a lot of them. But my classic games always end up with bulbs back in them. They just look best.

The ONLY argument I’ve agreed with for LEDs in classic games is on location where the game is on all day. And that’s because of the heat buildup impacting the game. Inserts may cup, backglasses may damage from the heat. But in a home environment it just doesn’t make sense to make the game look so bad.

All just my opinion.

#5 1 year ago

What bulbs are you using ? Clear or frosted lens ? To help eliminates spots you will likely need a lower output bulb with frosted lens. Try a 2-led frosted lens from comet or cointaker mini which has no lens but good light spread

#6 1 year ago

I like frosted warm white LEDs in classic games. For the backbox, I try to use something that is not as birght as a 2 SMD, but for the playfield and inserts, 2SMDs are the way to go.

For backbox, I like the 1 SMD warm whites or the 2 LED warm whites (about the same brightness). Too bright, with a clear dome, and you'll get spotting.

#7 1 year ago

Frosted cap options from pinballbulbs.com might meet your need. Have purchased many bulbs from there and been very happy with them. Good prices too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 279.95
1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cumberland, RI
$ 279.95
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
West Greenwich, RI
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside