• Latest reply 6 years ago by nipper2u
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

kzpkRgY (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have recently joined the ranks of pinball ownership (I blame you Kyle!) with a rather handsome Judge Dredd. The bulbs are a mishmash of LED types and it appears all incandescents for flashers. So I am trying to clean things up. I have searched and learned a lot already, I just can't put my finger on some specific info:

1. Does anyone have any experience with putting either LED OCD or GI OCD boards in a Judge Dredd? I think the LED OCD board would help clean up things like the JUDGE drop target lights, but I wasn't sure if GI OCD would also be beneficial. Any real time experience with one or both of these in your JD?

2. Should I change out all incandescents (in playfield and backboard) with LEDs or will that be a waste of $ and\or complicate things in a JD?

3. Is an LED kit like that from PinballBulbs.com the best way to accomplish this? I have read many posts about this but some of them are rather dated.

Thanks for your time and consideration! This board is a wealth of knowledge, especially for a pin as temperamental as this guy.

#2 6 years ago

LEDOCD and GIOCD are incredible but can be subtle - you kind of have to try it in person. IMO they are critical on TZ but you'd have to try it in your game to tell for sure.

Also those products do not do anything for flashers. Not sure if you knew that

Personal choice on replacing flashers with LEDs; many people find them too bright and keep incandescent on purpose. There are lots if options though; check comet for the lower brightness flashers

Replacing bulbs the first time can be a little overwhelming, thrrr are SO many choices / Do you color match, use coloured bulbs for GI, etc, how bright is too bright?

Using a prepackaged set is fine but it is WAY more expensive than buying your own, but it takes a lot of guesswork out of the first time. I'd say Do it the first time and get comfortable then buy in bulk next time

#3 6 years ago

I owned JD, and LED OCD is a must on all games it supports. I installed LED OCD on JD, and of course it looked great. Make sure you use normal LEDs, not the non-ghosting LEDs. I used superbrites... kits are a waste of money IMO. Just grab a shitload of cool white, blue, and red. Experiment with what looks best. I don’t think GI OCD is necessary. LED flashers are a personal preference, but I prefer them.

Installation is easy, and Herg is a breeze to work with. Tell him I sent you and he’ll probably include some Legos at no extra charge.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from nipper2u:

3. Is an LED kit like that from PinballBulbs.com the best way to accomplish this?

I tend to buy bulk bags of Comet twin 2835 Sunlight whites with frosted domes - they look good under all inserts. 75% wedge, 25% bayonet.

Red LEDs do look slightly better under Red inserts, but i have spent far too long drawing up lists of the exact bulbs i wanted per game and i'll never get that time back. Ever. Some types might be out of stock, or wrong, then i need to re-order.

Just buy a load!

Plus if all bulbs are the same colour they'll be the same brightness too (hint: avoid Yellow LEDs).

Love the OCD products.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input so far it, has been very helpful.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

he’ll probably include some Legos at no extra charge

kzpkRgY (resized).jpgkzpkRgY (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

Hey! I didn't get Legos with my last order!

Seriously, OCD products are amazing and highly recommended for any applicable game. Get both the GI & LED - you won't regret it!

#8 6 years ago

Based on your input I have placed orders placed with LED OCD, Comet, and Pinball bulbs...oh, and ColorDMD! I am glad my wife doesn't read this forum... Ha! Thanks again everyone!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from nipper2u:

Based on your input I have placed orders placed with LED OCD, Comet, and Pinball bulbs...oh, and ColorDMD! I am glad my wife doesn't read this forum... Ha! Thanks again everyone!

Battle stations! Protect the wallet!!

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from nipper2u:

All must-have mods. Have a good time!

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LEDOCD and GIOCD are incredible but can be subtle - you kind of have to try it in person. IMO they are critical on TZ but you'd have to try it in your game to tell for sure.
Also those products do not do anything for flashers. Not sure if you knew that
Personal choice on replacing flashers with LEDs; many people find them too bright and keep incandescent on purpose. There are lots if options though; check comet for the lower brightness flashers
Replacing bulbs the first time can be a little overwhelming, thrrr are SO many choices / Do you color match, use coloured bulbs for GI, etc, how bright is too bright?
Using a prepackaged set is fine but it is WAY more expensive than buying your own, but it takes a lot of guesswork out of the first time. I'd say Do it the first time and get comfortable then buy in bulk next time

I just want to make sure I clear up this miscon option again. Our kits are the exact products included and usually rounded down 5-10$. We don't do any markup on the ultimate kits like other vendors may do.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I just want to make sure I clear up this miscon option again. Our kits are the exact products included and usually rounded down 5-10$. We don't do any markup on the ultimate kits like other vendors may do.

Sorry, I take it back! Glad to know there's a great option out there!

3 months later
#13 6 years ago
Quoted from nipper2u:

1. Does anyone have any experience with putting either LED OCD or GI OCD boards in a Judge Dredd? I think the LED OCD board would help clean up things like the JUDGE drop target lights, but I wasn't sure if GI OCD would also be beneficial. Any real time experience with one or both of these in your JD?

2. Should I change out all incandescents (in playfield and backboard) with LEDs or will that be a waste of $ and\or complicate things in a JD?

3. Is an LED kit like that from PinballBulbs.com the best way to accomplish this? I have read many posts about this but some of them are rather dated.

Bringing this thread to a close, here are updates based on my experience (yours may vary):
1. I installed both LED OCD and GI OCD boards in my JD. I am very pleased with the results - cleaned up the noticeable ghosting and tied together the light "animations" (for lack of a better word) very smoothly and cleanly. Before the LEDs flickered and made the lights almost seem random. Now you can see the patterns and it is very satisfying to me after knowing what it was before. You do have to use all standard LED bulbs (not "non-ghosting" and not incandescent) with these boards or the LEDs will not fade properly and the boards will pop their fuses (and those fuses can be a pain to find). I was surprised how many incandescent bulbs were tucked away in my JD. LED OCD offered great support in helping me get it all taken care of.

2. As mentioned in #1, you really have to go with all standard LED bulbs for LED OCD boards (do not use non-ghosting LED bulbs). I am very pleased after going ALL LED bulbs but only with the OCD boards. Brightness, light flow, and reliability are the reasons why.

3. I bought individual bulbs from Comet...and a lot of them. I played around with different colors, different color combinations, styles of bulbs, and brightness until I got the look I liked best in each location. For example, Comet has some "Fire LED bulbs" that flicker that I put in the back glass for Judge Fire. Subtle but a nice touch. That is not to say PinballBulbs wasn't a good option - prices were fair and they were very supportive. I just went another route.

I also added a ColorDMD and Pin Stadium lights. Now I need a dedicated power supply for Pin Stadiums otherwise I blow fuse F116 (this is after I updated the Power Driver board to a Rottendog).

Finally, I put in a PINsub board from Pinnovators to an external sub I had laying around. Takes the place of a shaker motor and goes well with the JD soundtrack.

Hope this helps someone at some point. Thanks for all of your input along the way!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from nipper2u:

2. As mentioned in #1, you really have to go with all LED bulbs for LED OCD boards (non-ghosting LED bulbss). I am very pleased after going ALL non-ghosting LED bulbs but only with the OCD boards. Brightness, light flow, and reliability are the reasons why.

So what's the deal? Everything I've ever read says NOT to use non Ghosting LEDs?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

So what's the deal? Everything I've ever read says NOT to use non Ghosting LEDs?

Your right, do not use non ghosting bulbs with LED OCD.

#16 6 years ago

Did he mean non-non-ghosting ?

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Quoted from TheLaw:

Did he mean non-non-ghosting ?

OOPS! I did mean NON-non-ghosting! Do not use non-ghosting LED bulbss with OCD boards. SORRY for any confusion. You will want the LED OCD boards to handle the ghosting issues, not the bulbs. I think using non-ghosting LED bulbs with the LED OCD boards will take away from the fading effects.

Thanks for pointing that out - I have edited my post accordingly. Please let me know if you spot any other errors, or have other questions or concerns.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 85.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ledgi-ocd-boards-in-judge-dredd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.