IMG_4772 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4777 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4775 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4776 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
shooter (resized).jpg
20240301_161950 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1279 Spinner fix with photos Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2246 Side ramp fix Posted by LOTR_breath (3 years ago)

Post #2568 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by LOTR_breath (3 years ago)

Post #3413 Pinwoofer settings Posted by Greaseman (3 years ago)

Post #3576 Spinner fix. Posted by Hayfarmer (3 years ago)

Post #3768 new spinner Posted by LargemouthAss (2 years ago)

Post #6946 TECH: LIGHTING. EM Frenzy light show disable location Posted by pascal-pinball (2 years ago)

Post #7167 EM adjustment Posted by LeMansFan (2 years ago)

Post #7175 EM rubber replacement Posted by pinballjah (2 years ago)

Post #7285 Em o- rings Posted by Blue_Agave (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider notbodied.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7879 1 year ago
Quoted from howitzer11:

Did you receive the harness? I’m in the same situation Stern responded immediately saying they would send one I still don’t have it.

I had the same issue. I did not want to wait so I cut into the unused 48v wires going to the playfield. Lights work great and are awesome! I took a few pictures if you're interested.

#7897 1 year ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

I'd be interested in those pics if they show how you managed this, along with some further detail if possible. Getting tired of waiting for the promised part from Stern.

Quoted from howitzer11:

If you don't mind posting that would be great. Still no harness from Stern.

I'm sure someone will tell me I shouldn't do this, but its worked great so far. I did not contact stern and ask about what their fix was so I didn't want to tie into the existing node (1?) board power. I did unplug node board 1 and plugged the power into the expression node board and the lights worked perfectly. I spent a decent amount of time tracing wires and looking at unhelpful diagrams in the game manual. I decided the best option was the unused, switched, 48v power and ground wires going to the playfield.

I de-pinned a grey and a black wire from the connector and cut the wires so i could repair the harness if there was ever a need (selling the game, ect). I used spade terminals for the wire to wire connections, and some small terminals I had from some weather pack connectors for the connections I had to make at the node board. Heat shrunk all the exposed terminals and saved the little pieces of black and grey wire in case I ever want to un-do what I did.

To me it was worth cutting into the part of the harness that wont be used, I can understand others not wanting to do the same. There was just no way i wasnt going to get those damn lights working!

edit: If you could get a 2 pin Molex (or whatever the playfield power connector is) you may be able to avoid cutting the cabinet harness at all? I used what I had, I wasn't waiting any longer ha.

20220617_092825 (resized).jpg20220617_092825 (resized).jpg20220617_093112 (resized).jpg20220617_093112 (resized).jpg20220617_093149 (resized).jpg20220617_093149 (resized).jpg

#7899 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I would have perhaps repined the cables with the correct molex connectors, so it does not look like a it is has been permanently modded, no offence, I would not buy a game with this type of work on, as it leads me to believe it has been hacked elsewhere yet to be found, ymmv. I see it as the owner did not spend $ on the right tools for the job and there are more 'mods' somewhere else.
That is just my personal take. no offence
Using the correct molex is really the only way I would be making this sort of mod in a way that is fully reversible without any visible nor permanent mod if it is ever corrected.

No offense taken! I have faith in my soldering skills. I know pin-fit is tight and there is very little chance of having an issue with it. Like I said the two wires I cut plug into an empty hole in the connector. They can be re-soldered and put back into said connector. I've decided these games probably have hundreds of solder joints, I'm not going to freak about two more (that are not even carrying current). I made sure it's unpluggable and the playfield is still easily removable, but it definitely voided the harness warranty haha. Either way I totally understand the concern and I did think about how it would effect value.

#7901 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

No concerns about your skills but more about the logic behind not using the right part.
Get yourself a set of cheap crimpers and some molex (I have a box full that I always use). It is really nice to have the pins, headers and connectors ready at hand. You can make an OEM connection in less time that it took you do all the work you posted above.
Trust me.

It did not take me too long Tracing wires and deciding which circuit to use took me time, and I have a 150$ set of crimpers! Haha. It sounds like id still be waiting for stern to send me the "right part" going that route. If i had Molex pins on hand I most definitely would have used them. I could have put them directly into the playfield connectors open ports. If we are being technical is THAT even really "correct"? Its not how stern wired (some) of them. I just wasn't going to wait unfortunately when I knew I could get them reliably working. (You probably think i'm a hack )

Do you know what the connector is called on the node board side by chance? Not opposed to redoing it with more attractive parts!

Edit: There are also a lot of spade terminals used from the factory by Stern. (Start button, coin mechs, door switch)

#7903 1 year ago
Quoted from howitzer11:

Thanks for the pictures. I was guessing the harness they send would be a jumper from the CN14 port on the node 1 board, but now seeing that there is an unused 48v in the cabinet harness makes realize two things one the harness will go from there to optional cabinet lighting and two this is a sleazy move at best by Stern. They should have either included the harness with the expression kit (with the price charged) or simply not advertise something they know at some point not to be true.

I'm thinking the same thing on the jumper. And I agree it should be included. Was very frustrating spending a Friday night installing the lights just to find out I have no plug in my almost 7000$ (now) machine. That's why i wasn't going to wait. I'm not sure if there is an any 3rd parties making splitters? At the time I cut into mine, I could not find info on how stern was "correctly" fixing this issue so I was afraid to tie into existing used wires.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Suffern, NY
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.99
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider notbodied.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-zeppelin-le-thread?tu=notbodied and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.