IMG_4777 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4775 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4776 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
shooter (resized).jpg
20240301_161950 (resized).jpg
20240301_161936 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1279 Spinner fix with photos Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2246 Side ramp fix Posted by LOTR_breath (3 years ago)

Post #2568 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by LOTR_breath (3 years ago)

Post #3413 Pinwoofer settings Posted by Greaseman (3 years ago)

Post #3576 Spinner fix. Posted by Hayfarmer (3 years ago)

Post #3768 new spinner Posted by LargemouthAss (2 years ago)

Post #6946 TECH: LIGHTING. EM Frenzy light show disable location Posted by pascal-pinball (2 years ago)

Post #7167 EM adjustment Posted by LeMansFan (2 years ago)

Post #7175 EM rubber replacement Posted by pinballjah (2 years ago)

Post #7285 Em o- rings Posted by Blue_Agave (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LOTR_breath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

376 posts in this topic match your search for posts by LOTR_breath. You are on page 1 of 2.
#531 3 years ago

I'm in for a premium! Went with Trent.

1 week later
#638 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

amazon.com link »

Oh, that's going on my wall for sure!

#662 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I’m jealous of you guys getting the premium and LE. Those light bars on the side look awesome. I’m going to order them for my pro, unless stern asks sone crazy topper price for them. My pro is pre-cut and pre-drilled for them. Also don’t like the upper flipper on the pro, it’s useless and very risky as it throws the ball out of control and often into the outlanes. Game shoots really well otherwise...hoping for a code update soon.

I posted this on the other thread but thought I would re-post. Although the upper flipper shot is not fun or satisfying, it is far from useless. Even in this early stage of code, there is quite a lot already programmed for that shot. It does create some side to side action, but I was usually able to save the ball if need be.

Shooting the upper flipper shot will award:
● + time seconds to Icarus X timer
● 2X song scoring value (when song arrow is lit)
● And it awards one of the following (awards for current ball in play only):
○ Super Spinner (boosted spinner value for 100 spins)
○ Super Pops (boosted pop bumpers for 100 hits)
○ Super Slings (Slingshot values 5000 for up to 100 hits)
○ Super Ramps (2x Song awards on ramps) for up to 10 ramp shots

And This During Zeppelin MB:

Once all jackpots are made and super jackpot is lit at the left eject, and 2x super jackpot is lit at
the upper flipper shot. Completing ROCK, LED, and ZEP targets prior to collecting will multiply
the super jackpot up to 3x (6x if you collect on the upper flipper shot). Collecting either super
jackpot shot unlights the other one and starts you over at the beginning collecting jackpot shots.

And This During Tour MB 1977

● Switch Frenzy [US 1977]
○ All switches score points and add it to the jackpot
○ Jackpot always lit at left eject
○ Super jackpot equal to 3x jackpot is available at side target / ramp
○ Collecting jackpot or super jackpot increases switch values (increases more
with super jackpot) and resets jackpot value

#685 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballConspiracy:

Titans came! Should I go light blue on upper flipper? Glow going good with rulecards
[quoted image]

Just my personal opinion, those flipper rubbers look terrible. I would go with purple, red, or orange. I see the small amount of green you're trying to tie into, but it just doesn't meld with the rest of the playfield.

#706 3 years ago
Quoted from damionrowe:

My pro arrived and I’m loving it. Question about the control gates and pop bumpers. Not sure if it is early code but the control gate on my machine opens when I hit a left orbit spinner shot. Also a right orbit to the lock shoots it back out and the gate opens also. Very little pop bumper action. Is anyone else experiencing this.

The one time I noticed the gate close was when I was in a tour mode that required pop hits. It seemed like a nice feature to stop the ball and drop it into the pops. I'm sure there are more situations where it is used and probably more coming.

#768 3 years ago

I've played two different LZ pro's now and I can say that airballs are almost non-existent. That should help keep dimples down to a minimum. The clear coat on both examples looked great.

#780 3 years ago
Quoted from Looprunner:

I know it's not a major modification but I did not like the black rubber look on this machine. I replaced it with some colorful Titans. Plays even faster...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Fantastic choice of colors! I might steal that idea when I get mine!

#798 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

That's why I posted it ... so people check if theirs is the same way (it will be obvious after you level it). I don't want to stink up this thread with the issue as there's already a playfield bitch thread that has dragged on, but figured I'd put this here just as a precaution to look out for
As far as the game goes, it plays smooth. Fast orbits, nice ramps, LED's flash like a concert. I have the ball hang up under the blimp from the speed it goes but a simple plastic added can easily solve that. Software is super early but we all know that will improve over time. The center is open, so the shots are pushed back. Plays different than others which I like. However with an open playfield, it makes the warped sides even more noticeable
The backglass is not bad. Cab artwork is awful. I have it between two games, so its not in your face. I would have loved LZ2 artwork but at least they used the centerfold of the album on the screen during game play
I'll be requesting a new game, as playfield swapping might be more work than boxing it up (and I'd have to send the other playfield back anyways which is still a huge box). Of course this went up a flight of steps and the older we get, the harder these are to set up. Not happy about that at all but very happy with the gameplay (minus the brutal outlanes LOL)

A good while back my friend was able to get a populated PF for his GB. They sent the PF in a special box. We swapped it out and then used the same box to ship the old PF back to Stern. Might be easier than another game and two trips up/down the stairs. Good luck, my friend. I hope they get it sorted out for you!

#950 3 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

My distro said today to expect first week of February for LE’s to drop.

Oh, that's a bummer if true. I was hoping the Premiums would be on the line by then.

1 week later
#1233 3 years ago

Got word from my distributor today. Premiums on the line very soon!

#1570 3 years ago

Got word that my Premium will be shipping soon. I moved some games around and got the space ready!

20210204_172305 (resized).jpg20210204_172305 (resized).jpg
#1650 3 years ago

You guys are tripping. The top photo shows the spinner in mid-spin to demonstrate where the friction can occur. The photo and drawing totally make sense to me.

#1651 3 years ago

Spinner arms should always be double 90 degrees. Someone keeps mentioning 45 degrees which would really be jacked up. LOL

#1697 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Honestly, this game has exceeded my expectations and I feel it really is a masterpiece(code is even solid for launch).
When my only complaint is some exposed wires-that speaks volumes

Thanks for the detailed review! I am getting excited as the check has been cashed for my LZ premium.

One thing I always do when exposed wires like that bother me. Just take a black sharpie and black out the wires. You'll almost never see them again! Just leave a small portion near the connector with the colors remaining. That way if you ever have to do any work in that area you'll know which wires go where.

#1731 3 years ago

But that only equals a 35HP tractor? I think you'll need more.

#1733 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Keep laughing dude. It's is stupid tight. And any size john deere works

I'm hoping that the premium without the invisiglass won't have this issue.

#1760 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

What are you guys using to lube the spinner? I usually use a tiny bit of Superlube synthetic, but that's not really an "oil."

Tri-flow, teflon makes it rip. Lasts a long time too.

tri flow (resized).jpgtri flow (resized).jpg
#1904 3 years ago
Quoted from pduffy:

Anyone hear anything about premiums on the line yet or is it still CE’s? I saw a couple pics of premiums and wasn’t sure if that was a fluke. Lol

My premium has already shipped! I hope to have it in the next couple of days.

#2022 3 years ago

Just heard from shipping co. My premium will be here tomorrow!

#2096 3 years ago
Quoted from flynnsarcade:

The Met ? Would that be blomington,Mn ,Thats where i saw Led Zeppelin in 1977 I believe

met = Metallica

#2104 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I like the left eject clunk. Maybe it is intentional.

I can say I've played two different LZ pros and one had the clunk and the other didn't. Not sure why. We did open up the one with the clunk and could find nothing out of the ordinary with the mech.

#2111 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I did a good coat of Blitz wax and the playfield is lightning quick, and it really made things shiiiiiiiiiiiny. I also ordered some premium SilverJets so I can have diamonds on my playfield.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-SJ5

"SILVERJET™ pinballs may retain magnetism if the game has magnet features." From the Marco website.

#2172 3 years ago

My premium came in yesterday! Game worked great right out of the box. I have done a few tweaks like adjusting the wireform position on both inlanes for a smoother transition. Also adjusted the right flipper switch for better action on the upper flipper. Put a coat of wax on it. Put a dab of Tri-flow on both spinners. EM spinner has been fine, no problems there. Added some blue perfect plays on all three flippers. The wife loves it. Happy Wife, Happy Life!

20210212_191057 (resized).jpg20210212_191057 (resized).jpg20210212_191157 (resized).jpg20210212_191157 (resized).jpg20210212_232455 (resized).jpg20210212_232455 (resized).jpg20210212_235322 (resized).jpg20210212_235322 (resized).jpg20210213_132649 (resized).jpg20210213_132649 (resized).jpg
#2195 3 years ago
Quoted from Motorcitypinball:

Well your 7:32 gives me something to shoot for. GOOD job on that. I previously read your post about 6 albums at once. Thats what needs to be figured out. Thats huge. It probably has something to do with combos then the red shot. Yes i can verify that red shot is more powerful than the normal shot. I cant find a rules explanation for challenge anywhere. I have to go to work on this!

Added Top of the Charts Challenge Mode:

Display the game mode menu by holding in both flippers.
Choosing Top of the Charts challenge mode starts a challenge mode game.
Top of the Charts Challenge is plays through all 10 songs starting from
a fixed number of sales. Shooting lit shots and hitting switches advances
the number of sales.
When a player earns 999,999 sales, shooting the left eject will award a
platinum record, advance the player to the next song, and add an
additional ball into play.
When the song ends, Top of the Charts challenge ends, all balls in play
will drain, and the game will end.
Player starts with 4 balls in play.
Shooting the ejects during a song increases the song shots and sales
earned at each shot to 2x and 3x.
When a player drains all balls in play, the song sales they have earned
are reduced and a ball is returned to play.
Added a leaderboard to show the top 3 Top of the Charts challenge scores
and Top of the Charts challenge times.
Added a high score entry for Top of the Charts multi-album master.

No real explanation of the "Multi Album Master". My best is two. I'm going to guess it is how many songs completed while maintaining a MB.

#2201 3 years ago

I did some glass off testing of the colors for the individual band members. Yes, you can check these in your instant info, but I wanted to get a visual representation at a glance. Keep in mind, this is not your total Icarus X, just one of the four band members that get multiplied together.

Dark Orange 1.0-1.1
Lighter Orange 1.2-1.3
Shades of Yellow 1.4-1.9
Light Green 2.0-2.2
Darker Green 2.3-2.5
Blue/Green 2.6-2.7
Shades of Aqua 2.8-3.6
Light Blue 3.7-3.9
Dark Blue 4.0-4.3
Shades of Purple 4.4-4.9
Shades of Pink 5.0-5.6
Magenta 5.6-5.9
Dark Orange starts over at 6.0

Of course, most of us will never see most of these colors. It's hard enough to get past any shade of green. But at least this gives some reference.

#2221 3 years ago

I've not had a single issue with the spinner. Of course, I knew ahead of time about the issues. So I don't shoot the spinner while it's spinning. I also don't shoot the EM at all while it is moving up or down. To be perfectly honest, quite often I just ignore it until it goes back down because there's just not much coded into that mode yet and the points from it are way too low.

#2222 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Anyone have their machine crash and restart while having the best game you ever had? Microsoft OS?

I haven't had any crashes at all. But a couple of times on boot up I get a weird grainy pattern on the screen and then it gives up and reboots itself. It has never failed to boot up, just does it weirdly every now and then.

#2246 3 years ago

I've been getting a ton of rejects from the side ramp. It's a difficult enough shot already so when you hit it and it rejects 75% of the time, well I needed to do something. So I took off the wireform that leads out of that turnaround. Waxed the turn around, waxed the rail that leads into the turnaround, and waxed the playfield from the upper flipper all the way to the shot. I had previously adjusted the upper flipper power from 240 to 255.

So, one thing I noticed about this shot is the way the wireform interfaces to the turnaround. The two tines that accept the ball out of the turnaround were such that there was plenty of room for the ball below them, but barely enough room for the ball above them. I bent the tines downward a small amount, about 1/8th inch. I have attached a crude drawing of this. The top drawing is how I found it. The bottom drawing is after bending. Again, I only bent them a small amount, like 1/8th inch.

I'm happy to say I now get FAR less rejects. I'm actually making the shot like 2-4 times per game now. It plays so much better and my scores have improved. Before all this my best score was around 500M. Only a few games after doing all this my best score jumped to 832M.

20210216_082121 (resized).jpg20210216_082121 (resized).jpg
#2259 3 years ago

Holy crap! 3.9 GB. With my slow ass internet it will be tomorrow before I can install.

I really like the sound of Mothership MB mini-wizard mode! Also having the final wizard mode coded is a big deal. With the increased album sales per song shot maybe I will get there someday.

I like the idea of the piano solo section during Trampled Under Foot.

Plus a couple songs get new and improved Expression lighting.

Another EB after 10 left ramps? Do we really need another EB?

#2269 3 years ago
Quoted from Theguyoverthere:

Zeppelin Awards = side flipper shot
10 of them is... not too easy Just another EB option to go for if you’re getting close to it

Oh snap. I read that as "Zeppelin shots" aka left ramp. Yeah, 10 side ramps is a tough challenge worthy of another EB!

#2270 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Have you read the rulesheet? There has never been a game that's connected to the music as much as this game. The shots actually change with each section of the song (verse, chorus, bridge, solo). It's pretty amazing. If you haven't checked out the rulesheet, read all 11 pages. You'll be glad you did.

Yeah, there's nothing quite like looping the center ramp during the guitar solo with a hefty Icarus X running. Wait, yes there is something better. Looping two balls at once!

I got an 18.5 Icarus X today and it was sweet!

#2274 3 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

As I try to beat songs I end up getting the magic spinner multiple times when I don’t want to and the other multiballs.

I highly recommend going into settings and move the EM difficulty up one notch harder. You'll still get the EM spinner but not nearly as often.

#2316 3 years ago

Got a few games in on the new code. I like the new "jingling" sound to let you know when you have made it to 5 gold records. Getting to Platinum is now slightly easier. I made it to Mothership MB for the first time, but I got way too excited and started bricking every shot, drained out and scored only 5.5 million from the mode. The graphics on the screen at the beginning of Mothership were incredible.

Anyway, I just got my 2nd best score at 801M.

#2348 3 years ago

Just an FYI. A newish feature that many may not be aware of. Hold in the left flipper button and start together for a few seconds to end the current game at any time, even on 1st ball.

#2352 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Doesn’t fire. Leaf switches seem fine, when rubber is bumped both close and look identical to right side.
I tested both coils with machine off for ohms and are the same.
What should I look at to dig deeper?

See if the coil fires in test mode. Remember that door must be closed.

#2365 3 years ago

I have gotten a very few airballs off the right slingshot into the left outlane. I've already turned down the slingshot power. Time to turn it down some more.

#2367 3 years ago
Quoted from CAMelectricserv:

New machine.
Any tips on what to do with a new machine, Ive heard people say to swap out the balls or any other things i should plan for?
Also would it be worth it to add a shaker motor to the Pro version?
Chris

The balls that came in my Led Zep were perfect. No reason to replace them unless they look bad. I am not a fan of shaker motors. After playing both the premium and the pro, I think the Expression Lights are a must have for the pro.

Remember to install the tilt bob. Make sure game is level. Pitch is kind of personal taste, but I like most Sterns with the back legs 1/2 way extended and fronts legs all the way in.

And update that code! .95 is the latest and more updates are sure to come.

#2369 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

What pitch are you running? I can't seem to find a happy spot

I haven't actually measured it.

#2388 3 years ago

Guys, I can't believe this! I haven't made it to 1 billion yet. Tonight, I just skipped by that and went straight to 2Bil! All these pics came at the end of this single game. Crazy crazy crazy. This game is so good! The flow is better than I thought possible. I think I'll be chasing this score for a while. I was on the 10th song when it ended.

20210218_180032 (resized).jpg20210218_180032 (resized).jpg20210218_180034 (resized).jpg20210218_180034 (resized).jpg20210218_180036 (resized).jpg20210218_180036 (resized).jpg20210218_180038 (resized).jpg20210218_180038 (resized).jpg20210218_180042 (resized).jpg20210218_180042 (resized).jpg20210218_180045 (resized).jpg20210218_180045 (resized).jpg20210218_180048 (resized).jpg20210218_180048 (resized).jpg20210218_180052 (resized).jpg20210218_180052 (resized).jpg20210218_180055 (resized).jpg20210218_180055 (resized).jpg20210218_180057 (resized).jpg20210218_180057 (resized).jpg20210218_180101 (resized).jpg20210218_180101 (resized).jpg20210218_180104 (resized).jpg20210218_180104 (resized).jpg
#2417 3 years ago
Quoted from Str8nm:

Anybody else having a ball save glitch on an LE or any other? I'll shoot a shot and almost instantly while the ball is still dropping have another ball launch announcing "ball saved." I don't know how to fix this? Anybody else seeing this. TIA

Try re-seating the connectors on the ball trough.

#2418 3 years ago

You can troubleshoot this by going into the "ball clear function" and look for any weirdness going on with the ball trough optos.

#2507 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Anyone have a pic of what this should look like.
[quoted image]

I don't have a pic, but you should have a small screw with a nut on it going through that hole at the bottom of the stick.

#2508 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Just played mothership mini wizard and wow was that fun!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

35.5X ???

#2523 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, there's a first time for everything...
I was playing this game tonight and not holding the ball on my flipper at all. I mean...I was really trying. I bricked so many shots in a row that the game went into ball search right in the middle of my ball. FML...

I had that happen recently too. Feels bad man...

#2564 3 years ago

If anyone had only played a pro on location I could see someone having a bad experience.

I played in a tourney today and LZ pro was in the tourney. A lot of players were frustrated because they couldn't hit the shots. It was impossible to backhand the right ramp. The left flipper was slightly misaligned making looping the center ramp difficult. The game was also too steep. With three attempts allowed, I had the #1 score at only 230M.

Then I come home and my game just flows like butter. I told a friend who is a pretty good player he just needs to get a couple dozen games on it and the shots will start to come. If you can't make the shots on LZ you're really going to suffer. I know that's true of just about any pinball machine but with LZ, I feel it takes a little longer to learn the shots.

#2568 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

What should the flipper alignment look like? I have not changed a thing from out of the box and I cannot backhand the right ramp. I have a pro if that matters.

See the alignment holes? You want hole centered on the tip of the flipper. In general, this will put the flipper bat in a straight line with the inlane guide.

20210212_232455 (resized).jpg20210212_232455 (resized).jpg
#2646 3 years ago

Oooh, I had a 44M spinner rip today! How you ask? Super spinner running with a 10.2 Icarus X. One rip and I looked up and saw 44M. Hey Theguyoverthere , how hard would it be to add a high score table for best spinner rip? (or is it already in there?)

#2651 3 years ago

Tom, search this thread for "spinner". There's only about 400 posts about it.

#2657 3 years ago

So yesterday I had my first non-booting Stern. Turned it on and waited at least a minute. Nothing but a black screen. Turned it off, waited a few seconds then back on. Nothing but a black screen and I could hear a board in the backbox making a weird repeating sound. Turned it off again.

Third time I turned it on and it came up normally. Man, I was breathing a sigh of relief!

Anyone else had this or similar on LZ?

#2725 3 years ago

So I've got the ZOSO symbols ordered from Amazon showing up soon. The Zep is just so plain looking. I had a crazy idea from watching some hydro dipping video tutorials on youtube. I think with the right color scheme it could look awesome. Maybe dip it and then apply the decals afterwards? Anyone crazy enough to try this?

I know if I had a spare Zep I would try it, just in case I totally screwed it up. Here is a video for reference.

#2747 3 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

I have a pro and I find it very difficult to hit the right ramp from the left flipper.
It oftens goes up, kind of it something and comes back down.
Simple setting to do or real issue?

I call that "the rattler" and I do it about ten times a game. It just has to be a clean shot. You can try waxing the ramp. I did that to all my ramps and it does help.

#2749 3 years ago

Some random thoughts on gameplay after I just finished a really long session.

Pulling off the Kashmir strat can be really difficult. But you don't really have to hit ALL the shots in the correct order to land the orange shot on the center ramp during the verses. Just don't go past the center shot on one side before also doing it on the other side. And even if you don't get the shots to converge on the center, Kashmir is such a long song you can get some really good song shot values by the 2nd or 3rd ball, 4-5M per shot, before any Icarus X. Verses come up 3 times during the song. Two times on the front end and a 3rd time towards the end.

As much as I love The Song Remains the Same, it's just about the worst song to pick for scoring. True to the name, the shots remain on the left side. Just the left eject and left orbit are lit, and some parts of the song also add in the left ramp. This makes combos nearly impossible and extremely hard to get 5 gold records on this song. Platinum on this song seems out of reach.

Sticking with the short playing songs is a good strat to get EB and Mothership MB, but so far I have not been able to get any really good score from MMB. Some good songs for this are Rock and Roll, Immigrant Song, Good Times Bad Times, Black Dog, Communication Breakdown, Ramble On.

The right ramp is a very key shot. It is a song shot in pretty much every song. It is an important shot for building combos. It is the only shot that gets you towards the Tour Modes which lead to tour multiballs. I have only made it to World Tour twice so far which requires a lot of right ramps and then playing the tour modes well to get through all four of them.

Code Improvements: Could we please get the Icarus timer to pause while the EM has the ball trapped and is lowering? This eats up a ton of Icarus time and is super frustrating. Seems like there was another time I felt like it should be paused but can't remember the specifics.

Question: You are in the middle of a song and drain. Now the next ball is in the shooter lane. If you switch off of the song, then go back to the song you were in and plunge the ball, do the shot values(points) reset? Do the record sales shot value reset? If either of those reset without plunging the ball that needs to be fixed.

Obviously I'm still loving the game. Currently, 2.016B is my GC and it takes over 942M now to get on my scoreboard.

Added over 3 years ago:

Edit: Correction to Kashmir. Verse comes up 4 times in the song. Twice near the beginning and twice near the end.

#2751 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

You've put up some huge scores, what's the best way to collect records? Quickest way i guess. I have trouble scoring consistently. Every now and then I get a great game ( for me), but would like to be more consistent. Thx,,

Of course collecting records is different with every song, but here are some ideas.

Combo the center ramp/right ramp/center ramp etc.

Listen for the change to the guitar solo. If the solo is getting close in the song, go ahead and trap up on the left flipper and wait. Then start spamming the center ramp the instant the solo begins. If you can get this going with two balls at the same time even better.

Figuring what to do with the ball coming out of the left eject is important. All games will be a little different. You can live catch. You can just let it bounce to the other flipper. But what I've been doing lately is like a delayed slap away shot to the right ramp or right orbit. I'm getting to where I can pull that off like 40-50% of the time.

Pay attention to the white "Cue Lights" during the songs. They let you know where the shots are going to move to as the song changes. There is a kind of "reverse grace period" with these. If the shot is white, shooting it just before it changes color will still count as a song shot.

Get the timing down for backhanding the spinner and the left ramp from a trap. Unlike backhanding the right ramp, both of these shots are relatively easy.

#2755 3 years ago

OK, since we are talking points and scores, let's talk about Icarus X. It is very easy to begin Icarus by mistake. The shot is right up the center, right next to the main shot(center ramp) and it just gets hit when you don't want it. Especially in MB. So what can happen is you get Icarus after Icarus in the 1.5-2.2X range. We want more than that!

Try this. Once Icarus is ready, You've got to avoid hitting it. Try a bunch of "one way combos" to build it up first. Some examples.
Center ramp to Rock targets.
Left orbit/Hold up upper right flipper to LED targets.
Backhand left ramp/Hold up left flipper and bump the ball over to the right flipper/Kickback targets.
Backhand left ramp or center ramp into Zep targets(watch out for that Icarus)
All of these one way combos will add .1x to that band member.

Try not to cash in on your Icarus until a guitar solo. Or if in MB, not until super JP are available.

One more important thing about how Icarus X works. We all know that it is the value of the four band members multiplied together. What is super important about this is that if even ONE band member is really low, that will severely stunt your Icarus value. Example:

Icarus values begin at 1.0 and build by .1 for every combo. So lets say you are able to do 20 combos before beginning your X. If the combos are evenly spread out you have the following:
1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 = 5.06X(not sure if the game awards 5.0 or 5.1 in this case)

But the same amount of combos spread out unevenly could give you this:
1.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 x 2.6 = 3.7

See? Same exact number of combos terminating into a target bank. One gives you 3.7X. One gives you 5X.

Now apply that to a real scenario. You're deep into Kashmir and you've got your shot values up to 4.5 Million. The verse begins, you start your Icarus, and you start looping the center ramp. In one example you're looping the ramp for 16.65M/shot and in the other example you are looping for 22.5/shot. Of course the shot value increases with every center ramp but you get the point.

TLDR; Spread your combos out to all the different target banks as long as possible. Then start Icarus X at an opportune time.

#2778 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Find the subtle change! Minor but I like it.
[quoted image]

Hey, you found a way to add a light under that plastic! Nice.

#2780 3 years ago

This is a difficult game. Those who say it isn't have not had enough time on the game to realize you brick one or two shots, you drain. And my outlane posts are factory. I think I don't even want to see this game in a tourney with posts moved up, rubber removed, etc. I'm a tourney player and ranked just outside the top 200 in IFPA and even I think this is a tough game. But that's what makes it a good game. It keeps you coming back for more. I have started over after one or two balls more than I'd care to admit!

After the game kicked my ass for about 8-10 games straight today, I finally got on the board again. Score was 992M, but this right here was worth taking a picture of....

20210228_154915 (resized).jpg20210228_154915 (resized).jpg

Always be Kashin....LOL

#2792 3 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

Um, best way I can describe it is when the portal rises above the Playfield, a ball should be locked in the center by the magnet. Sometimes the ball is perfectly locked and to release it and start the multiball, you need to strike the ball with a shot. Other times the ball is released from the magnet shortly after it rises from below the Playfield.

I have recently been having this same issue.

#2800 3 years ago

I figured out the EM problem with releasing the ball too soon. My spinner was very slightly bent. It was bent for the very first time. Straightened it out and added a small drop of oil to each side and did some glass off testing and the EM is back to working correctly.

#2814 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

How come a bent spinner releases the ball? Just trying to gather info if it happens to me. Thx,,

This seems like it was because the spinner wasn't spinning freely. So instead of the spinner settling on top of the ball, it was in front of the ball and kind of pushing it backwards. Just a theory...

#2817 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Well I just went back and watched Ray D’s stream from yesterday and his machine acted the same way as mine and what people are reporting. I’m going to assume it’s normal.
He didn’t lock any balls in the scoops for EM and when it came up released ball on its own after 4-5 seconds.
Anyone have a video of it being held and hit as a captive ball?

If you don't lock a ball in either of the scoops, then that is the normal behavior. After the hurry-up runs out, the EM raises back up and releases the ball and MB begins..

If you do lock a ball, then the EM should raise back up and hold the ball during the second phase of the hurry-up. You can then choose to knock the ball off the magnet, OR lock a ball in the other scoop. If you successfully lock a ball in the second scoop, then the EM releases the ball and MB begins.

#2828 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Anyone feel like the EM mech is over-used? I mean once, maybe twice a game would be good I suppose but 4, 5, 6 times in the same game is too many imo.

I recently upped my EM Led Zep difficulty to Hard. On medium it still came up way too often. On Hard it actually still comes up too often, but I can deal with it.

#2886 3 years ago

I'm still loving this game! About 410 games played in just under 3 weeks. I discovered something that is more about my play style than it is the game. I REALLY don't enjoy the Top of the Charts Challenge Mode. I mean, it's a great mode. I just suck at it. When I have to try to hit stuff in a hurry, I can't hit shit. The left scoop becomes impossible. The balls keep getting in the way. I can barely break 9 minutes. It's stressful and not fun for me.

Then I go back to regular gameplay and I realize how great this game is!

#2976 3 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

My side ramp has progressively getting harder to hit. I checked my audits to see how bad it is and was shocked to see i've only hit it 270 times in 600 games played. i'm thinking the ramp flap is too forward and because of this the ball is just hitting the ramp hard and rejecting. Anyone else having issues like this?

I checked my audits. Side ramp 330 hits/472 games, or 69%. If you haven't done so, you need to wax it. Wax the guide leading into it, and the turn around guide. It's much easier to do if you remove the wireform(just one screw and one 9mm nut). And make sure to wax the playfield between the upper flipper and the side ramp entrance. Also, set upper flipper power to max(255). And finally you might want to modify your wireform like I did in post #2246.

#3003 3 years ago

" Took a whole lotta tryin, a just to get up that hill"

And with that score, it takes over a billion to get your name up on my LZ.

20210306_221322 (resized).jpg20210306_221322 (resized).jpg
#3012 3 years ago

After a long time of working quietly, my left eject started making the clunking noise. I inspected it and could see where there has been metal to metal contact. I took it apart and put a rubber ring onto the shaft. The size was perfect as the ring was able to be pushed into the hollow base of the shaft. No more noise! The size was either 7/16th or 5/16th, not sure which. And sorry I didn't take any pics...

#3019 3 years ago

I have joined the Dark Side. After getting pretty frustrated with the spinner getting jacked up, I took it all apart, straightened the spinner and flipped it to the dark side. I hope it helps cause I'm just ready to disable the EM. And not just because of the spinner getting jacked. The mech just gets in the way and causes me more drains than I can count. Don't you just love the slow roller that come through the back of the spinner and goes SDTM?

#3021 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I have to believe they will address the frequency of the spinner in the next update, dont ya think?

Ray Day said in a recent stream that it's already been fixed, just hasn't been released yet. The number of sets of LED ZEP targets is supposed to increase by one set each time. Currently it doesn't actually do this. If you have it set for hard (2 sets of LED ZEP targets), it remains at 2 sets for the entire game.

#3027 3 years ago
Quoted from Theguyoverthere:

It can be super helpful for completing the “spinners” tour task, or to get a huge super spinner rip. Spinner values increase every time you complete ROLL and carries throughout the game. It’s not uncommon for it to start getting up there in value, and combined with Icarus x it can be prettty satisfying to rip the center spinner when Icarus is ready and rack up some serious spin points as LOTR_Breath has shown

Ooh, I didn't know about ROLL increasing the spinners AND building throughout the game. That gives me something else to shoot for. One of my favorite things about GOT was building those HUGE spinner rips. Then they nerfed it in the code...

#3064 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm wondering if this is a song-specific code bug:
I've seen this happen during Good Times, Bad Times and Trampled Under Foot...the EM capture light goes on, the guy tells you to shoot the EM to capture a ball. I do and the ball is captured and lowers into the playfield. But another ball is never served from the trough, then the EM rises up, the game goes into ball search until the magnet releases the ball, and the cycle is repeated again.
Anybody see this? I don't know what would cause this except a bug because clearly the opto is registering the ball trapped on the magnet.

I don't think that's a bug. I've never seen it. There are two optos in the EM mech.

#3090 3 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I generally like what they did with the EM logic but they really need to sync the “shoot the em spinner” callout to when the mech actually raises. Feels very disjointed now if you go for say 20 seconds before you hit a safe shot for it to raises callout is old news at that point.

I noticed this and I thought something was wrong. Then I remembered that you have to shoot a safe shot before it raises.

#3093 3 years ago

I'm digging the new code. Got my name up on the Spinner table. Not that special but give you guys something to shoot for. This was just regular spinner, not the Em spinner. Thanks Theguyoverthere for implementing this!

20210309_214410 (resized).jpg20210309_214410 (resized).jpg
#3094 3 years ago

Anyone else not seeing photos in the thread?

#3108 3 years ago

Seems there is just a lot of variance in parts/QC. Many of the LE owners reported lock down bar latches coming unscrewed for the cab. I have a first run premium and had no issues with that. Same with the shooter lane gate. I have over 500 games on mine and the gate has never come lose.

#3124 3 years ago

Scores don't wipe now with Spike 2 updates. Neither do your settings.

#3126 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I just installed the new code and I'm frustrated because my EM is working strangely now. I'll spell LED ZEP and it'll tell me to shoot for the spinner (and the first arrow is lit), but the EM doesn't come up. Sometimes it seems to go down for now reason, like I hit the Zeppelin ramp (Zeppelin Launch Phase 1), and the spinner goes back down for no reason at all...and doesn't come back up for a substantial amount of time. When I start a new game while the match sequence is going, the EM mech stays up and inactive for a long time before finally going down into the playfield.
Has anybody seen any of this? It's gotta be a code issue unless there's some switch that would cause all these weird things to suddenly happen with the new code.
I'm sad.

Boob, chill man. Everything is fine. The new code is working properly. When EM is ready to go, it will not raise until the ball is in a safe place like a ramp or eject. I have seen where the EM stays up when restarting a game. If you just let the ball sit in the shooter lane for like 10-15 seconds the EM will go down.

I've seen the EM go back down for two reasons. One is for inactivity on the spinner. The other is for starting any other MB. I have not seen it go down for just shooting the lock ramp once.

#3189 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I took good close up pics and sent to stern with a pic of serial # and LE # of game. Also sent place and date of purchase. I had a new spinner and plastic in 10 days.

OK, help me out. All I see on Sterns website is a Contact Us form, but no way to attach photos. I want to file a claim for a new EM plastic top. Mine has gotten pretty dinged up. Do you have an email address to contact them? Thanks!

20210312_220836 (resized).jpg20210312_220836 (resized).jpg
#3190 3 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Anyone else having trouble getting the top flipper return ramp to go? At least on my machine its almost an impossible shot. Wondering if there is any adjustment I can make.

See my post #2246

#3197 3 years ago

I had some extra t-molding from when I did my Hoops. Compared the colors and it's almost an exact match. Super easy to do. The whole thing took like 30 minutes. Looks very factory in person.

20210313_113705 (resized).jpg20210313_113705 (resized).jpg20210313_113715 (resized).jpg20210313_113715 (resized).jpg20210313_114740 (resized).jpg20210313_114740 (resized).jpg20210313_114746 (resized).jpg20210313_114746 (resized).jpg
#3200 3 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Ugh my game died already. 100 plays on the nose. Throwing node board 1 errors, no start or top button. Emailed distributor.

Did you try re-seating the connectors on the board? They tend to work loose and may have already been loose from shipping.

#3206 3 years ago

I'm down to 16 on the slings. I kept getting airballs to the outlane or shooter lane. At 16 I haven't had any. I also lowered the "upper eject power when gate is closed". When I had super pops the ball would go from eject, to gate, back to eject. Sometimes it would do it 2 or 3 times in a row.

#3211 3 years ago

Anyone who has actually got to EM Frenzy, can you tell me how to start it? I've read the read me file but I still have never seen it. Thanks!

#3228 3 years ago

Something special happened tonight. Playing Whole Lotta Love I had a good run going, then started an 18+ Icarus X. Shots started at 40M and the last one just before Icky ran out was a right ramp for 56M! Damn this game is fun!

20210315_215856 (resized).jpg20210315_215856 (resized).jpg
#3232 3 years ago
Quoted from RexPins:

Well that was fun! 26.1X Icarus with the EM raised and some good spinner rips. One question - I thought this happened while EM Frenzy was still running...but in the high scores EM Frenzy is still sitting at the stock 2,000,000. Anyone else seeing any glitches with EM Frenzy getting recorded? I'm loving this game!
[quoted image]

Yes, I had a 279M EM Frenzy SJP and it still has the 2M default score for EM frenzy.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3242 3 years ago

Speaker lights arrived today but not installed yet.

I've gotta say, this EM Frenzy mode has about the best spinner sounds I've ever heard. Have you heard it yet? Sounds a lot like Robotron. You guys with sub woofers must be loving it!

#3246 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

How do you get to it? I played something today that sounded like fireworks going off...and it had a light show to match. It was stunning but I had no f**king idea what I was doing.

So, you've gotta play the EM Magic MB. When that's completely over, then knock down enough LED ZEP targets(2 sets on default I believe) to bring up the EM again. You'll know it's different because the Frenzy insert will be lit. The sounds in the build up phase are fantastic but when you get to the SJP spinner it's pretty special.

#3248 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Damn, goin nuts waiting here. Internet is so bad in our area I had a buddy download new code for lz and ehoh, he's 120 miles away in Seattle! Really wanting to try new code.

I hear you cause my internet is pretty bad and it took about 1hr 40m to download the code!

#3251 3 years ago

Just ran a speed test on mine. Download 5.53 mbps. Upload 410K !

#3277 3 years ago

I have DJ Mixer on my Premium. Are we sure the pro doesn't have it on the latest code? I thought all models had it.

#3292 3 years ago

You can "Taste the Rainbow" or you can Embrace the Orange...

Hell of a time getting my speaker light kit installed thanks to some factory worker completely stripping out one of the small screws that attach the LCD to the speaker plate. They got it good and tight, then stripped out the head. Must have been a Friday afternoon. Anyway, all is good and I'm liking the new look.

Random thought: The base line on Ramble On has got to be one of the best ever! Ear worm city for me.

20210319_212153 (resized).jpg20210319_212153 (resized).jpg
#3299 3 years ago
Quoted from Redrider:

I thought the same with my Prem. I mentioned it to the seller and was told " you are being too picky, if it works ,that's the way it is. " Mine works fin
e as well.

The clunky kick out is more or less normal, but it's not right. I played 2 different pros that both made the noise. When I got my premium it never did it. One day I moved my machine and it started doing it. I opened it up and inspected the mech and I could see signs of metal on metal contact. I took the mech apart and added a 7/16th white rubber ring right at the base of the plunger. The base is hollow and the ring fit right inside it. Noise gone! Recently I moved my machine again and guess what? Noise came back. Then after maybe a dozen games the noise was gone again.

Here is a drawing. It is from LOTR but similar enough. Add the ring and push it into the hollow base. It may not be a 100% fix, but it will help for sure.

plunger w ring.JPG (resized).pngplunger w ring.JPG (resized).png
#3303 3 years ago

About the shooter lane gate. I've been lucky that I haven't had any issues. But one thing I noticed. I had the glass off and was ejecting the ball through the service menu. Every time I ejected a ball I heard a "ting" like a bell ringing. What I discovered was when a ball shoots past the gate it knocks the gate up into the bottom of the wireform above! Every single time! Not a good design, but it works.

#3304 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just a quick review:
EM multiball: Meh.
EM Frenzy: Holy shit.
If you haven't gotten the second EM multiball yet (Frenzy), just shoot for it. You won't be disappointed. I didn't realize I was doing that the first time I did it...this time I paid attention, and it's spectacular.

It's awesome! For me it totally changed my mind on the EM spinner. It went from something to avoid, to Man this is great!

Here's a scoring tip. During EM Frenzy, a ball in one eject doubles scoring, a ball in both ejects triples scoring. Add that with an Icarus X and boom, I managed to get an EM Frenzy Super worth 279M! Gonna be hard for me to beat that. Unfortunately, that's not stored in the HS table.

*Oh, I just remembered a bug. I will report to Stern. @theguyoverthere. After playing EM Frenzy and back down to one ball. For the rest of that ball I kept getting callouts and animations to shoot for the EM Frenzy Super Jackpot although the mode was over.* On .98 code.

#3335 3 years ago

Never ending game
Daughter was playing tonight with freinds ,Not sure what mode was picked. Had 3 players and on ball 1 For player 3 the game would not end ,Just kept giving another ball every time it drained ? Heres pic before i just shut the game off

Could be a bug. Could be something more. That's a really good score regardless of how many free balls it gave out. Was this just a kid or a skilled player?(I know some kids are skilled players) lol.

Stuck switch maybe? Ball trough issue maybe? EB light out?

#3338 3 years ago

What is EB light ?

Extra Ball light between the flippers.

#3349 3 years ago

New spinner champ!

20210322_205839 (resized).jpg20210322_205839 (resized).jpg
#3354 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Sometimes its better to be late than early. After waiting until today to finally get my update to install ( worst internet in usa here), I got .98 in and damn, did it change the game.I kept hearing how good it was. I did my beezleboob wtf is wrong with spinner until I remembered how his reaction was explained. Sound effects with pinwoofer and klipsch sub is amazing. I've had 2 or 13 stern pins, best update I've had in my opinion.

Wait till you get to EM Frenzy SJP. With your sound set up it's gonna be mind bending...

#3390 3 years ago
Quoted from splitcms:

How do you get to em frenzy?

Also it wasn't added until .98 code.

#3435 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Played a nice round on a pro yesterday and the updates and tour modes (spinner especially)- very enjoyable. A few questions for premium/LE owners as I haven’t played one:
-Did Stern fix the timing of the EM mech raising/lowering in code? I like the uninterrupted flow on pro.
-How often do you nail the third flipper ramp shot on premium/le? I hit the ramp once on the pro by pure luck. Not easy.
Thanks for input guys

I have played both versions extensively. Like wtatumjr said, the EM spinner mech for me has gone from "avoid at all costs" to "man, this thing is awesome".

The side shot on the pro is definitely easier, just because the ball only has to travel a short way and hit a switch. On the prem/LE is has to be a perfect shot to have enough momentum to make the curve and u-turn ramp. On my premium, I probably make the side ramp about 3 or 4 times per game. My record is 8 and there is a separate High Score Table for that.

Speaking of u-turn ramps! PinMonk Are you making a flipper fan kit for LZ yet? I'm getting pretty noticeable fade on both flippers. After only 10-15 minutes of play I can no longer backhand the right ramp reliably. Even the right ramp from the left flipper becomes harder to make. After long gameplay, the surface of the playfield is actually warm to the touch in the right flipper coil area.

#3452 3 years ago

There are numerous adjustments on the EM mech. You can adjust the upper limit, the lower limit, and you can adjust the height of the plastic top by tightening/loosening the screws on the top.

Just be careful. When you adjust one, you will likely have to adjust the others because they are all related to each other.

#3455 3 years ago
Quoted from Zosotatt:

Thanks for this info --- how do you decrease ball launch power?

Go to adjustments/feature adjustments/adj.#2

I have mine on 190.

#3470 3 years ago

Game #702. A game which will live in infamy...

It was epic. I made it to Top of the Charts and ? for the first time ever. Two EM MB, Two EM Frenzys. Got the 4th(or 5th?) extra ball from the Zep Ramp shots - I had twelve total. When I came out of Top of the Charts, I had exactly 3 songs left that weren't platinum yet, with two balls left. Man, those last two balls were intense trying for platinum on the remaining songs. When I got to ? I was losing it. The animations and video footage at the beginning of it are incredible. I scored 257M from the mode, so not a huge percentage of my overall score. Just crazy and I may never touch this score again for a long, long time.

20210330_190158 (resized).jpg20210330_190158 (resized).jpg
#3481 3 years ago
Quoted from luckyjonah:

So I just received and set up my LZ Prem (my first ever Stern).... I have some issues/queries:
1. I wasn't sure if there was a problem with LHS plastic #32 which looked loose... then it came flying off complete with posts half way through a game:
[quoted image]
I lifted the playfield and could hear what I assume are screws moving inside but they won't drop out and I can't see them. Also that plastic looks impossible to fix in place even if I found the screws?
2. Is it normal that the EM remains up at the end of a game, even when the machine is turned off? I've had one completely new game start with it left up (it then lowered after ball launch)... I made sure I installed v0.98 before playing it (spinner/EM seems to play fine).
3. The connector for the power cable looks half-melted/welded onto the backbox.. is this normal for Stern machines?
[quoted image]
EDIT: Turns out it was glue Scraped off quite easily, it blended so perfectly with the black plastic it looked melted
4. I've already had 3 or 4 airballs including a hefty one into the top glass... I can't identify the cause yet, it's not the EM, seems to be something on the LHS? Anyone else identified an issue with this? (These were really rare on my Williams/Bally machines?)
5. The back panel with the song list is bowed in the middle... is this "normal"?
[quoted image]

#4 I was getting some airballs from the slingshots. I turned down the coils for the slings to around 15 or 16 I think.
#5 I have that slightly, but on the left art blade. It doesn't bother me enough to try to do anything about it.

#3533 3 years ago

Just wanted to thank Theguyoverthere for making my initials JCW the default Spinner Champ. So guys, until you beat it, I'm on all your games.

Funny thing is I didn't even know it until Ray mentioned it in a Twitch chat.

1 week later
#3549 3 years ago

We're back! V1.00 is amazing!

20210407_173214 (resized).jpg20210407_173214 (resized).jpg
#3567 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Still got this game on wishlist.
What was the special wizard 'thing' that was talked about when the game came out?
Thanks

There really isn't a "thing". It's Celebration Day with some excellent animations and light shows but not any new songs as some had guessed.

You will love this game! Premium or LE is the way to go. If you get the pro, the Expression Light kit is a must.

#3594 3 years ago
Quoted from rb14:

Another LE (#214) in the UK. I'm (in my time of) dying to add some mods, but the cost for having them shipped from the US leaves me Dazed And Confused. I'm heading over The Ocean later in the year, so I'll get a few then and save the shipping. The lit-lantern hermit is a must. I'll definitely Bring It On Home.
I did a little 3D print of the Object as a trial. It's OK but needs resizing/repostioning and/or in a better colour to make it stand out. Perhaps it should be more In The Light? It's not very good yet, but that is Nobody's Fault But Mine.
I have a very decent (Boston) subwoofer kicking about in my attic which I am determined to fit. Not sure what is the best way to connect it, but I'll have a play around.
More than anything though, what a machine. Thank You Stern, it has All Of My Love. I had VERY low expectations of a crappy branded game. But it isn't. It really, really isn't. It's awesome and has instantly replaced my other three machines as my favourite. That's The Way it should be. How Many More Times will I play it?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Great post. To celebrate, In The Evening you should eat a Hot Dog!

#3600 3 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

I'd love for someone to simplify action button scoring....for some reason I just can't get the hang of it.

In a nutshell:
If it's green and flashing and you are in single ball play, hit it to score points.
If it's red and flashing and you are in single ball play, hit it to score even more points.
If it's green and flashing and you are in Multiball, hit it to work towards an add-a-ball.
If it's red and flashing and you are in Multiball, hit it for an instant add-a-ball.

Now for some finer points:
How many Band Boosts you currently have is in instant info on the 2nd screen.
Once you get five, you must use some to be able to earn any more.
Three or more enables the Red button(Super Band).
If it's not flashing, you can't use it.
Easiest way to build the button is to get 5 gold records in a song, then shoot the top eject and change the song. This nets 3 button uses.

Best use of the red button in single ball play: Work up a huge combo late in the game and when you miss the next combo shot, smash that button!
Best use of the red button in MB: Save it until you drain down to one ball and quickly smash that button to resurrect MB!
The button also helps tremendously in building up your Icarus X. Before, my best was 19.2 X. Now it is 29X.

#3642 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Talked to my distributor yesterday, he's still waiting for aiq toppers to all come in, then they will start making and shipping our toppers. So still no firm date on when we will see em

Anyone have any pics of what this LZ topper looks like?

#3658 2 years ago

Fun times!

20210417_122052 (resized).jpg20210417_122052 (resized).jpg
#3687 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm still having an intermittent problem where the EM captures a ball, lowers, and the game never kicks another ball out into the shooter lane. Then it goes into ball search, releases the ball from the EM, and I have to recapture it...at which time it behaves normally. Really weird, but I'm not sure it's a switch problem because everything still works in switch tests. Other than that, it's perfect.

Mine does it sometimes. Just give it a little forward shove and it will take off!

#3723 2 years ago
Quoted from JD4444:

I think pinside can officially say the premium is "in production" rather than "production planned." I am still waiting for mine and it seems like forever.

I noticed that too. Seems weird that it says production planned and I've had my LZ premium for 9 weeks. Well over 700 games played!

#3728 2 years ago
Quoted from JD4444:

9 weeks!!! Thanks for rubbing it in . I ordered min in January ... there were 19 orders ahead of me. Still waiting .

I ordered mine a few days before Christmas. Got in on the very first run. Trent/Tilt Amusements is awesome! I had the game on Feb 12th.

#3741 2 years ago

Woo hoo!

20210420_202222 (resized).jpg20210420_202222 (resized).jpg
#3793 2 years ago

Interesting that they redesigned the spinner mech. Reminds me of many years ago when they redesigned the Monger mech on IM. I have the original design since I was on the very first run. My spinner seems to work great though.

#3798 2 years ago
Quoted from Juniorsc:

Hi guys. Got my premium a couple of weeks ago and started experiencing the spinner issues after only 23 games (old style mech with bendable mount). Bent the arms back and lubed the spinner arms as directed in the 'official' fix, but after only a couple more games the spinner locked up again (second lock-up was with new code installed). Like someone has mentioned here before, I once again bent the bracket arms and applied a lot more force. The bend is much more visible now. We'll see if that works. Seeing that they have now changed the mech, it makes me wonder if Stern didn't think their 'fix' was good enough for the long haul and now we have two different systems with two different issues. Same game, different mech's, and issues that require different fixes. Will older games have to be retrofitted if the problems continue? Will the new system be just as problematic as the 'hit-and-miss' issues of the older builds? Seems the spinner arms aren't long or strong enough to maintain their integrity in the new mech set up. They will eventually bend under the direct hits and eventually pop out. Time will tell!

The software "fix" is just a great way to try to prevent damage to the spinner, reducing the chance that the spinner gets hit wrong. It cannot prevent that odd time when the ball directly hits the top or bottom of the spinner while spinning. Once that happens a time or two, the only fix is to bend the spinner arms back correctly. That can happen on any game with a spinner. I do wail on that spinner, I just try not to hit it while it's spinning.

#3801 2 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

electrotragic spinner seems to be a consistent issue. I feel bad for you guys.

Don't feel bad for me. I love the shit out of this game!

#3859 2 years ago

I tried Pablo's email a while back about getting a replacement plastic top on the EM since it has numerous small chips in it from the older software. I even included pictures. Didn't even get a reply.

#3862 2 years ago

I just sent him the email again. I recall several years ago I had a broken part on GOT that was only 3 weeks old. My distributor said either he could send the email or I could. I think I opted to send it and had the part in just a few days.

I'm not too worried about getting the new design EM spinner mech since mine works great. I just need a new top plastic.

20210312_220836 (resized).jpg20210312_220836 (resized).jpg20210312_220838 (resized).jpg20210312_220838 (resized).jpg

I also realize these pics don't look too bad. But it did get worse than this, I just haven't taken new pics.

#3912 2 years ago

Hot Spinner Action! Still loving the crap out of this game.

20210424_233310 (resized).jpg20210424_233310 (resized).jpg
#3916 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Judas Priest dude. I think that’s more than my GC on my game. In my defense I’ve only had it for a week, but I’m pretty sure I’ll never approach this. Well done.

You'll get much better at it in time. My GC after one week was only 1/6 of what my GC is now. The rules for the songs are very straight forward. The rules for the MB's are fairly nuanced and take time to get better at scoring in the MB's. Add the new Band Boost(I still just call it the boom button) and it takes some getting used to.

#3922 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Can someone explain or confirm the em spinner rule.
You spell led zep by hitting the targets, the mech comes up.
You then hit the spinner to charge it until it can then lock a ball.
It then goes down and you hit either the back eject or the left eject to get it to come back up, hit the locked ball and you start mb.
The question is whether it could come up by hitting anything else or after a period of time it comes up automatically? I thought I saw it come up without hitting an eject, maybe due to time? I also see the shoot again light is flashing before the mb starts so thinking time is a factor to start things.

To maximize scoring in EM MB. After you lock one ball in an eject, try to lock another ball in the other eject. Then when it serves another ball out you smack the other ball that is being held in the magnet. All of these phases are on hurry-ups, so the quicker you do them, the higher the payoff. I like to short plunge the third ball to try to avoid it going into the back of the EM. If that happens you lose your chance to lock that 3rd ball. And yes, if you are too slow the MB will begin on it's own.

The rules in EM Frenzy are completely different.

#3931 2 years ago

Ball search when locking into EM is not a code problem, or everyone would be having the issue. It's a spinner issue. See the many many posts about the spinner. Basically, bend the two spinner mounting brackets outward(unless you have the new design). Then straighten out the bent spinner and lube with super lube, tri-flow, or whatever you have.

#3965 2 years ago

Whole Lotta Points!

20210426_220148 (resized).jpg20210426_220148 (resized).jpg
#3966 2 years ago

Sometimes it's the smallest things that make the biggest difference. Before and after.

20210425_115728 (resized).jpg20210425_115728 (resized).jpg20210425_120917 (resized).jpg20210425_120917 (resized).jpg
#4039 2 years ago
Quoted from luckyjonah:

I hit a major bug on 1.02 playing the Top Of The Charts Challenge - I *think*, but can't be sure, that I hit the last shot of a song just as it was about to time out and the EM rose up and it switched into a 1-player game on 1st ball. I was then constantly returned new balls and staying as "Ball 1". I tried activiating a multiball and repeatedly draining but the score just went up and up and stayed on "Ball 1" so I had to turn off the machine.
By the way, what is the best email address to contact Stern with? I emailed parts.service at sternpinball.com a week ago about problem with plastic #32 but not had any sort of reply.

Sounds like a bug to me. Send it to [email protected]

I found a bug as well. If you disable the EM motor, play a few games, then re-enable the EM motor, it doesn't work right after that. Now, whenever the EM is ready, it will not raise on the first shot to the center ramp. Rayday was able to duplicate this on his machine. I'm sure they'll get it straightened out.

Just don't disable the EM motor for now or you will have some minor issues.

#4050 2 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

You can drill yourself, and then it looks right
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm interested in doing this. Did you have to take the backboard completely out to do this? How much of a PITA was this to do?

#4151 2 years ago
Quoted from Zosotatt:

I'm with you ...I played alot of pinball in the late 70's early 80's when I was in university, but I've been on hiatus for the last 40 years. I've never owned a pinball machine, but I've always been a huge Zep fan (I was lucky enough to see them in 2007 in London at the O2) --- when this pinball game became available I just knew I had to get one. My budget only allowed for the PRO and it has been a very humbling experience, the best I've been able to manage is about 170 million after 2 months of playing. When I see the scores here in the billions, I'm thinking, boy do I stink. Maybe, its easier to get these scores on the Premium/LE? ...I dunno, can anyone who has played both comment on that? (difficulty of PRO vs. PREMIUM/LE)?

I have played both a lot and own the premium. I have to say the pro is easier to score on but with one exception. Let me explain. With the pro you have two things going for you. The EM doesn't come up and block the center ramp and also act as a chute to guide balls down the middle. The other easier part of the pro is the Hermit target. When you shoot that shot, a very difficult shot BTW, the ball only has to have enough speed to go up and hit the target. On the prem/LE it has to be perfect to have enough speed to make the u-turn and quite often it doesn't have the speed and comes back out and towards the right outlane just like the pro.

The exception to the premium is the two EM spinner modes. The first one, EM multiball, is not worth very much on it's own but is helpful for completing songs. The second one, however, is EM Frenzy and it can be worth a lot of points. I have seen only 20M and as much as 800M. I usually get around 100-200M from that multiball. Yeah, EM Frenzy is a multiball, it's kind of a weird name.

Some song tips: Concentrate on the songs that have the solo benefit. Rock and Roll, Trampled, Good Times, Whole Lotta, and Comm. Breakdown. Whole Lotta has a very short solo and is a long song. The easiest are probably R&R, Comm Breakdown, and Good times. Get used to the song so that you know exactly when the solo begins. Try to start your Icarus X right before the solo begins and then wail on that center ramp! The solo section on Trampled is different(all shots lit). As soon as you get five records and the upper scoop lights green, shoot the scoop and change to another song. You want to get that 3rd(or 4th?) song for the Extra Ball.

Speaking of Extra Ball, they are the key to really big scores. There are 5 available. If I don't get at least two extra balls I'm not likely to have a great score.

Extra Balls
There are 5 EB’s available on default settings:

5 gold records
4 complete songs (5 gold records per song)
Start 2 Tour Multiballs
8 Zeppelin Awards (side flipper shot)
5 City Jackpots in World Tour

If you can get five songs done shoot the upper scoop to begin Mothership MB. This can be a huge boost to your score.

Like you guys, I played a ton in the 70's. Then I didn't play almost any pinball until around 2008. But I've got a little head start on you because I've been collecting and playing competitively for 13 years. Keep at it! Practice! Read rule sheets! Watch videos! You will get better for sure!

#4160 2 years ago
Quoted from RexPins:

Anyone notice the feature lights "freeze" periodically? This started for me after 1.02. Sometimes the flashing sequences freeze solid, sometimes unlit. Nothing else is affected -- sounds continue, gameplay is fine, it's just a hesitation on the feature lamps.

Yeah, Rayday knows about it and I expect an updated code within a few weeks to fix that.

#4162 2 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Anyone else notice that the „r“ from Rock’n’Roll is missing when lightning ? Reason for that is that the milling in the wood is to short.[quoted image][quoted image]

sirlonzelot Thanks for the inspiration for me to get this fixed. It's a small thing but once you see it...
A Dremel and about an hours work and I got my missing R back!
Thanks again!

20210508_150706 (resized).jpg20210508_150706 (resized).jpg
#4174 2 years ago
Quoted from luckyjonah:

Question about playfield levels - what do people consider acceptable for playfield level tolerances before it's considered "warped"?
In the new (to me!) world of digital levels, it's no longer just "yeah that bubble looks about right" and suddenly there are pretty exact inclinations to measure... so if you set the mid-lower centre of the playfield to 0.0 and 6.5 degrees, what do you consider is an acceptable variation on those figures across the playfield? 0.1, 0.5, 1.0 degrees...?

Playfield pitch will vary depending on where you measure it. This is normal. Side to side however should be consistent. I recall someone saying Stern had them lay a straight edge side to side on the playfield and see if any coins could be put under it near the sides.

1 week later
#4542 2 years ago

I'm over 1000 games now and still loving it. Anyone have that many plays on theirs?

#4547 2 years ago

I respectfully disagree. A spinner is not a bash toy. On ANY pinball machine, hitting the spinner while it is still spinning is not a good idea. Yeah, if you get lucky the ball goes through the spinner at precisely the correct timing to continue the spin. More likely is the ball slows down the spinner or stops it completely. Then worst case is the ball strikes directly on the end of the spinner and boinks. This can happen on ANY spinner.

The reason this is more of a problem on LZ is two fold.
1. It is an optical spinner and spins like a mofo. I would guess mine will spin 8-12 seconds on a good rip.
2. The location of the spinner is in the center, not an orbit. This means the ball comes at it with maximum velocity.

So to me, and your mileage may vary, shooting the spinner in a certain way is not babying the spinner. It is shooting it properly to maximize score and minimize damage.

This is all I have done to my spinner and it works perfectly. I slightly bent out both sides where the spinner arms go through the holes. I have oiled the arms lightly. After boinking the spinner a couple of times and having to straighten out the arms with needle nose pliers, I then flipped it around so the black side faces the player. I think I may have had to straighten the arms one more time in over 1000 plays.

#4554 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Weird the developer called it a “bash toy” guess he’s wrong.
Sorry just don’t enjoy having to tell people over to play “please don’t hit the spinner when it’s spinning, I know it’s hard to keep track during multi ball madness but don’t do it!”
I’ve tried to fix it, hangs straight. Only way it works properly is to hard nudge when the em spinner takes it under the table. A hard nudge it works. Still stupid to even have to work that way and I’m not close to the only one having issues as the last 80 pages will show you.

I have also experienced the "forward nudge to get EM MB started" thing. The few times I've encountered that, straightening out the spinner arms has corrected it. Honestly, I'm more disappointed in the Side Ramp shot than the spinner. That shot is just flawed. One game I somehow managed 12. Next best is 8. I actually lowered the EB for Zep shots to 5 to make it a more realistic goal.

#4602 2 years ago

I'm over 1100 games now on my premium. I have significant dimpling but to me that is normal. No pooling, chipping or anything like that. My EM spinner has been mostly trouble free, just a few adjustments.

I highly recommend the prem/LE. If you get the pro, you need the Expression Lights. They are awesome!

#4608 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

I have a decent amount of dimples around the front of the EM spinner but only visible at a certain angle and doesn't effect anything. Do you have any playfield protection on yours?

None at all.

#4653 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Guess what fuckers!!
I am one of you
[quoted image]

Shit! There goes the neighborhood!

#4674 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Had a thought to try and find the exact sweet spot on upper flipper and mark it with a subtle line? Might help with timing? May not work because of varying speeds but just a thought. Feel like I am flaying the shot and hoping it sticks.

That's really all anyone can do. I just try to hit it as early as possible. Reason being, if I'm too early usually good things happen. If I'm too late, and that is the tendency, the ball flies side to side and might drain.

If anyone is not aware, Rayday has a discord channel with a section devoted to just Led Zep discussion. Not as much activity as here, but some really good discussion on there.

https://discord.com/channels/767520137979887627/841777403517075467

#4676 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I am picking up Metallica sunday cant wait,Have heard its great.

"James Hetfield Says" wise choice!

#4698 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Hard to tell in your pic, but looks like you may have the newer version of the spinner mount with the ears. Stern switched to that from the flat version. You shouldn’t have had to make any adjustments to it.

Pretty sure you got that backwards. My premium is from the very first run back in February and it has the "ears".

#4712 2 years ago
Quoted from JD4444:

Just a heads up ... check your rubber by the upper right flipper cross over ramp. Where the ball tries to enter the ramp at the top of the entrance to the ramp. My game is less than a month old and it was almost split in 2. I guess i miss that shot a lot. I rotated it a little bit so the split part is at the back. Hopefully it lasts long enough untill i can get some replacement rubber.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine and it was 1/2 way gone. So much that when I tried to rotate it, it just broke in half. Easy fix. The ring is a 3/4 inch. One screw and one lock nut and the plastic can be removed and ring replaced. Back in action!

#4713 2 years ago
Quoted from Propsnsports:

I am a new pro owner and loving the game. Installed expression lights and it really pops.
Quick question. I wanted to see if anyone has had an issue with the left scoop? When it ejects the ball it makes a loud knocking noise. Almost like a thud. It didn’t do it when I first got the game. I messed with the eject power and that was not the issue.
Any help would be appreciated.
Dana

See my post #3012

#4715 2 years ago
Quoted from HopBeard:

My Electro Magic is not rising fully during game play. It can cycle fully just doesn't go past the midway point most of the time.
[quoted image]

Sounds like something loose with the lift motor arm. The mech works very similar to the 3-bank on AFM. Raise the playfield and see what's going on.

#4725 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The game gives out EBs like candy so I'm likely going to just turn them off.
A friend almost got a billion last night but that was a 6 ball game. Two games!!
It's just too much and takes away the challenge since the game artificially extends itself. But the joy of owning a game is do what you want - put it on 5 ball, with as many freebie EBs as you want.

True dat. On LZ, you really need those EB's to get to the mini wizards, certainly the wizard mode. After 1,100 games on my premium I needed to switch it up. So now it is on factory but no EB's. I'm fascinated by the fact that the EB is 10M, but is multiplied by the Icarus X. My best game so far on 3 ball is 1.6 Bil and best EB collect is 161M. That particular game has been the only one so far to reach Mothership on 3 ball.

My best on Full factory with EB's turned on is 4.4 Bil. That is of course getting to all the mini wizards and Celebration Day.

#4727 2 years ago

Well, I guess I suck too. There are other players posting scores of upwards of 100 bil. But the only way to do that is grind out a ridiculous Icarus X of 700-1000X. I'm not good enough nor do I have the patience to do that.

#4793 2 years ago

Pretty sure all the scores we're seeing are legit. IFPA has been out of action for 1 yr. 3 mo. but lets see who we've got here:
IFPA ranking:
Rayday 1st
Colin M 14th
Levi 122nd
Carlos 137th
Me(Chris W) 200th
Matt R 253rd

All huge fans of the game. Seems many really good players really like this game!

#4799 2 years ago
Quoted from Chambo:

Hey you forgot about me! Ranked 3531 - and proud of it

Damn right, Paul. Sorry I missed you!

#4802 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

For some strange reason I like the sounds when putting in your initials for a high score!

When you get there, try playing the intro to Moby Dick. The sounds are almost perfect!

#4842 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Newb question. How are you reaching the back orbit to wax the PF?.. are you guys removing parts to do this? I did a wipe down at 250 plays but there were definitely some spots I couldn't reach.

Back left is near impossible to clean without dismantling. I'm waiting for mine to get much worse before doing so, and I'm over 1,100 games now. You can reach a lot of it by shoving a t-shirt rag through the area, but that orbit is really buried in ramps and plastics!

#4863 2 years ago
Quoted from RexPins:

I've been fighting this since day one. There is some sort of interference right around the control gate and the ball doesn't make it to the upper eject scoop. I removed the gate assembly altogether and it seemed much better. However, there doesn't appear to be any issue with the gate mechanism or operation, so I'm not sure if that is actually the issue. I've been focusing a lot on the ball guide lately, as it seemed twisted/bent (see photo). I removed it to straighten things and reinstalled. I now get some rejections off of the scoop...ugh.
While I had the ball guide out I noticed the wear pattern on it. It looks like some shots are getting high on the guide as they go around the turn (see photo). This leads me to think that these shots are riding high and colliding with the control gate bracket. This would explain the interference, as well as why it seemed better when I had the control gate out.
What isn't explained is why some shots are getting high on the ball guide. I checked the playfield to make sure everything is flat. The inserts are not raised, and there do not seem to be any high spots on the playfield that would cause the ball to get air. Maybe turn down the left flipper power? I haven't tried that yet but am considering it.
Stern support is aware. We were eyeing the control gate but now are focusing on the ball guide in case my adjustments weren't correct (I'm waiting to hear). I also traded a message with RayDay and he suggested a slight bend to the ball guide as well.
I'm going to keep tweaking things and see if I get anywhere. It would be great to hear other owner stories around this one. Anyone else out there with this issue?
Cheers!

I have been lucky that this part of my LZ has worked almost flawlessly. If you think some pictures of that area would help I can get them for you.

Just a couple ideas. Could the ball be centering up on the switch slot, so that it's catching air when it reaches the end of it? I think that was an issue on Ghostbusters.

What do your back legs look like? I have not measured my pitch, but my front legs are all the way in, back legs about 1/2 way out. My flippers are set at full strength.

#4868 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Bump this? Last thing to tweak here and my machine would be dialed in perfectly.

Loosen the 3 nuts marked #7 in the drawing. Then you can move the motor up/down to adjust the position when up. There are also two screws on the bottom that will adjust the position when down. Then you can fine tune the down position with the screws on top that Levi mentioned.

em assy (resized).JPGem assy (resized).JPG
#4874 2 years ago
Quoted from JD4444:

Can anyone tell me the exact replacement size of the rubber behind the drop targets and the one at the top of the entrance to the crossover ramp?
Also is there anyone out there who knows where I can order them from in Canada preferably Ontario ?
Shipping from the States is expensive.
Thank you for any help.

Page 43 of the manual which is a free download from the following link.

https://sternpinball.com/support/game-manuals/

1 3/4 " and 3/4"

#4880 2 years ago

Scores are getting hard to come by, but I did hit a different type of milestone tonight! I did have factory EB settings back on for this.

20210614_211635 (resized).jpg20210614_211635 (resized).jpg
#4882 2 years ago

I've emailed Stern 4 times about getting a new spinner and plastic top. Last reply I received was about a month ago and that " the parts department is working on getting the kits back in stock". I emailed them again yesterday but no reply yet.

#4898 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I've emailed Stern 4 times about getting a new spinner and plastic top. Last reply I received was about a month ago and that " the parts department is working on getting the kits back in stock". I emailed them again yesterday but no reply yet.

Ha, I spoke too soon! The plastic top kit and spinner kit arrived today! And naturally the spinner has no decals. I just sent them another email.

#4905 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The top should be fine. It’s basically impossible for a ball to hit it now with the current code.

Well, I agree but there is one glaring exception. Not sure if they didn't think about it or there not really a way around it.

When you are in the first phase of EM MB and it lowers the ball, now it's waiting for you to lock balls into the ejects. When that times out the EM raises up unexpectedly while there is a ball in play. A newbie or a player unfamiliar with LZ rules can and will send a ball straight up the middle right when the EM is coming up!

#4909 2 years ago

EM Frenzy is totally different and so much better than EM MB. Both in points and in wow factor. EM MB is easy on purpose. It's the MB that is "close to the start button". Not a lot of points unless you do the thing, which is to lock both balls quickly. If you don't, then the SJP is only gonna be worth 500K.

If you can do "the thing", I've seen the EM SJP be as much as 27M.

Now, the EM Frenzy SJP I have seen as much as 113M. And you can keep it going much longer and the sounds and light show are second to none!

#4922 2 years ago
Quoted from mlev25:

Not sure if I should create a new thread or start with this owners thread….but has anybody had issues being awarded points for hitting the right flipper during song selection and periodically during game play? I came home today and my 9 year old daughter had all the high scores registered. A little pissed as she beat all my scores I challenged her to a game…..yes I’m 38 and mature So as I watch her play her turn she just sat there hitting the right flipper as fast as she could racking up millions each time during song selection. Heck, it even pumped points during the game play. What the hell! Anybody else seen this??

Common problem. Put game in switch test and hit on playfield with your hand. See which switch is registering.

#4933 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ive been waiting, need to call my distro.
I want this set up, im very early premium mid Feb delivered.

Same here. I got my premium Feb 12th. I did finally get my 2 kits the other day. I emailed again about the spinner decals. I did get a reply a couple days later that a warranty ticket was sent over to the parts dept. for the decals.

#4943 2 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I was wrong about the light show(at least on the Prem and LE). I don't recall if the pro has the led light strip. If not... Its a shame. Its a great light show.

Glad you have "seen the light", LOL. The pro doesn't come standard with the Expression Lights, but they can be purchased as an add on for around $450.

#4962 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That felt both good and boomy. I was a song and a half from seeing whatever happens when. You get all 10 songs. Man it was close!
Factory settings except limited to 1 EB, tight tilt.

All 10 songs gold or all 10 songs platinum? They're both awesome, but the first one is like Sea of Simulation on steroids. The second one is more like... a.... pinball orgasm.

#4965 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I was going for all songs gold. Had a couple plats in there but I can’t imagine trying for all platinum. The song I had coming out of world tour had like 23 records!
Can it be done without 3 extra balls?!

I doubt it. But if you can get to all songs gold you get Top of the Charts, which acts kinda like SOS and gives you a chance to earn platinum in all the songs that aren't there yet.

#4976 2 years ago

Out of stock, but so worth it. Check with some dealers to see if there are any available.

https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/accessories/products/led-zeppelin-cabinet-expression-lights

#4986 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t think I’ve ever aimed for the Led zep targets. You are just gonna hit them - a lot - over the course of normal play.

Oh young Padawan. You will, you will...

#4987 2 years ago

After a long and particularly brutal day at work, I came home and had this happen on my second game. It's been a while since I've put anything on my high score table. Led Zep saves the day!

Everything factory so EB's galore. I think I had 4 or 5. Didn't even make it to World Tour, Top of the Charts, or ?.

Highlight, other than the massive EM Frenzy, was looping the center during R&R guitar solo with a 12x Icarus and NOT missing a single shot. Started at 48M/shot and I think the last one was like 96M or something crazy like that.

20210623_180523 (resized).jpg20210623_180523 (resized).jpg20210623_180543 (resized).jpg20210623_180543 (resized).jpg20210623_180553 (resized).jpg20210623_180553 (resized).jpg
#4993 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Yeah I hit it twice on one ball last weekend and was strutting around my basement like Mick Jagger circa 1969. I know someone adjusted their rails and posted some great pics in here about a month ago but I never pursued it because my misses aren’t rejects, they’re bricks.

mick (resized).pngmick (resized).png
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5010 2 years ago

Anybody with a pro looking for Expression Lights add on, Pinballlife appears to have them in stock.

https://www.pinballlife.com/led-zeppelin-cabinet-expression-light-system.html

#5021 2 years ago

No problems on 1.02 for me, well except that it often takes 2 shots instead of 1 to raise the EM. New GC tonight! Man, Celebration Day is just an amazing wizard mode. 1,250 games in and I still love it!

Just for comparison, my GOT premium which I also really like, has about 750 games in 3 years.

20210626_144428 (resized).jpg20210626_144428 (resized).jpg
#5056 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

Any tips to get extra balls?

Extra Balls
There are 5 EB’s available on default settings:

5 gold records
4 complete songs (5 gold records per song)
Start 2 Tour Multiballs
8 Zeppelin Awards (side flipper shot)
5 City Jackpots in World Tour

The first one is a gimme. The second and third one require some work. The 4th and 5th one are very difficult to get.

#5070 2 years ago

Backhand right ramp shots on mine became difficult to impossible after only 10-15 minutes of play. Pinmonks flipper fans did the trick for me!

#5077 2 years ago

Or anytime you have a ball trapped on a flipper. While holding in a flipper, you can use the other flipper to quickly scroll through the instant info.

#5089 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Question for the people who say they got the new spinner kits from Stern. Did you have to ask for it or did they just send that to you because you registered the game when you bought it? I haven't been having any trouble with my spinner for a while now but I'd still like to get a kit if they're sending them out. I obviously haven't gotten one in the mail yet.

I had to ask for it, over and over and over. It did come, roughly 2 months after I asked. Like many others, the new spinner came without any decals. I requested the decals and it has been two weeks so far. I don't expect to see them any time soon. I think they're just swamped with orders and requests.

#5090 2 years ago

Looks like I've got some fun type work to do! I'll post some pics when it's done.

20210630_174316 (resized).jpg20210630_174316 (resized).jpg
#5092 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Interested to see how orange looks. Might be great! What brand?

They are perfect play. I figured why not go all the way. I already have orange t-molding on the head, and orange flipper rubbers, to go with all the orange on the game(premium).

#5097 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

They said they were sending me the decals and sent me 5x led circuit board things and some coil or something. I may call as I think they sent me someone else’s stuff.

#5102 2 years ago
Quoted from TraitMocks:

LOTR and others, if you don't mind, please share your sling setting after installing the perfect plays. i'm running them on the lower slings and flippers as well and have my slings set at ten right now. the action feels less than crisp at times, with just enough slow motion punch to swish an out lane every now and again. a modest bump to 12 jacks things up enough to launch balls over the playfield and into the out lanes (sometimes even the shooter lane) on the fly. still tryin' to find the sweet spot with these things. pitch is 7 degrees.

I've had nearly the exact same issue with the factory black rubber. I currently have my slingshot power on 14. I'll let you know if I have to change it after the rubber swap.

#5103 2 years ago
Quoted from Drussksu:

Where in the menu can you adjust coil strength.

It's in the adjustment menu/LZ game adjustments. It's near the front of the menu. Flippers, shooter lane eject, slingshots, etc can all be found there.

#5106 2 years ago

Some before and after. Not a huge difference, but $18 well spent.

20210212_163613 (resized).jpg20210212_163613 (resized).jpg20210701_145400 (resized).jpg20210701_145400 (resized).jpg20210701_145420 (resized).jpg20210701_145420 (resized).jpg20210701_145434 (resized).jpg20210701_145434 (resized).jpg
#5113 2 years ago
Quoted from Snotdoc:

One of my pop bumpers is randomly activating. I’ve looked around and am not seeing anything obviously different from the others. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Adjust the switch gap slightly larger. You'll need a gap adjustment tool.
https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

#5127 2 years ago

I've played a lot of BKSOR on location, both pro and LE. Not a bad game but I never had the desire to own one. LZ premium for me I ordered on day 1 and I don't buy a whole lot of NIB games. LZ is one of my best pin purchases ever and I've been in the hobby for about 13 years.

#5174 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Just got my high score what a blast,Hint its more than Austin Powers wanted.

What? More than 1 Million? LOL

#5188 2 years ago

Interesting. I just looked and I have no plastic there since mine was a very early run. Never had a stuck ball there.

#5194 2 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been loving my Zeppelin lately. It shoots great and is tons of fun. What I love most about it is that “just one more game” replay ability of it. As soon as a game ends I need to start another to see if I can have an even better game than the last.
That said, the damn spinner continues to bum me out. I’ve done everything to the damn thing, bent the brackets, flipped it around, got the spinner replacement (which honestly I haven’t done anything with because my game is a recent enough build that the replacement is identical to what’s already on it).
It always fails and comes flying off onto the playfield whenever I get an electric magic frenzy. . I’m paying attention to where the balls are in relationship to the flippers, so I can’t see exactly what’s happening. It seems though that on frenzy once you get that first ball in there the mech kinda throws the ball back at you. I wonder if this is what’s causing it to almost immediately after come flying out of the bracket. Now that I think of it, maybe there’s a setting to lower this, maybe it’s possible to make it not “throw” it at all and instead just release it (unless of course I’m just imaging the throwing thing). Any suggestions? Before I go searching the menus does anyone know if what I’m describing is accurate and if there’s a setting?
It really sucks because each game where I’ve had an opportunity to really put up a high score this spinner failure happens.

Can you take a couple close up pictures of your spinner and post them here?

#5246 2 years ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

I did a full install with verification and still kept all my high scores.

I just did a quick install with no verification and it kept all my high scores and settings. The new code is great!

#5247 2 years ago
Quoted from Txcoastal1:

Hey guys,
Do I need to load 1.02 before loading 1.04...currently @ 1.0
TY

Dude, you're still on 1.0? The answer is no, you can jump right to the latest version without any problems.

#5261 2 years ago

That rubber takes a beating and breaks often.

#5278 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Anybody having an issue with the EM spinner locking a ball, taking it down in the mech, then not knowing it is in there (ball search)? Started after the code update but I'm guessing that's a red herring and needs an opto adjustment.

Common problem, not code related. Usually caused by interaction between the spinner and the held ball. Make sure your spinner arms are not bent and the arms are lubed where they go through the holes.

#5299 2 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

What's everyone's thought on the pro model. I was thinking about getting one.
I was thinking about the pros cuz the expression lights will give me a seizure.
Not literally but I don't feel like getting a migraine and I like the cabinet art of the pro.
Thanks

The pro is still fun. On the prem/le the expression lights can be setup many different ways, including white and on all the time, like built in Pinstadiums. So not liking the motion and patterns is no reason not to go prem/ le.

If someone is willing to do a straight up trade TFLE for LZ pro, I think that's pretty good value for you.

#5368 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm sick of seeing LOTR Breath put up these gaudy scores...I'm putting the training wheels back ON - EB 5 ball limit, full ball save, may even back off the tight tilt a little.
Watch out buddy!!! Let's see if I can join the 5 bill club!

Ha ha. I just put everything back to factory recently and put up my 4th best score last night, 3.9Billion.

#5393 2 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

What's crazy is that a spinner is usually never an issue on a newer game. And yet, here we are.

Quoted from zaki:

Oh man. That stinks. Is stern sending you replacement parts?

Quoted from BrianJ1337:

I had major spinner issues my first hundred games or so mainly due to my spinner device not raising and becoming level with the play field. Would cause it to hit weird angle and jam the spinner
Once that was properly adjusted and spinner bent back to original shape I haven’t had a single jam or it come apart.

After 5 more weeks I finally got my replacement decals for the blank spinner. The thing is, I'm really hesitant to change any parts right now. It seems like the newer style spinner has as many if not more problems than the original design. I have a first run premium with the original design and it spins like a mofo. I mean, I've never timed it, but a good solid rip that doesn't get stopped by the ball coming back down through the spinner must go on for like 10-12 seconds. It's crazy good. Like others, once I straightened the spinner arms a time or two and flipped the spinner around to the dark side, it just works great.

#5396 2 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

After hearing all this, I'm backing out on zep. Seems like it's a nightmare to keep working

Not a nightmare at all. I've had very few issues. Great game!

#5398 2 years ago

What's the process from removing the spinner so that I can bend it properly. I've been trying to do it while it's still attached and not getting anywhere.

Do you have the old style or new style? Can you post a pic?

#5405 2 years ago

Damn, that's the new style? Kinda scary, since it broke after only a few plays.
What is the flip trick?

Here is a pic of the instructions that came with my kit. I'm not sure how much help I can be here because I still have the old style. FYI, the full instructions for doing the swap are 15 pages!

The flip Levi mentioned is just removing the spinner and turning it around backwards.

20210724_151016 (resized).jpg20210724_151016 (resized).jpg
#5408 2 years ago

Damn, that's the new style? Kinda scary, since it broke after only a few plays.
What is the flip trick?

I would think just removing the top half will give you enough access to remove the spinner.

#5417 2 years ago

And then squeeze the spinner so the arms come out of the holes?
With this new style, do I bend to 45 degrees?

Yes, and yes. The new design the arms are 45 degrees. With the old design they are 90 degrees.

#5422 2 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

I did my trim in prismatic's Tangerine Twist. Pretty good match/complement for the orange "Led Zeppelin" on the cabinet, very happy with it. It's a tough color to photograph though, looks a bit more red in the photo.
[quoted image]

Man, that looks good. Now put some orange t molding on the head like I did!

#5423 2 years ago

Then this...

20210630_174316 (resized).jpg20210630_174316 (resized).jpg20210701_145400 (resized).jpg20210701_145400 (resized).jpg
#5429 2 years ago

Thank you!
Honestly, I'm at a loss. Mine doesn't look significantly different from that, yet I can't get it to work. Mine doesn't look much different now compared to when it was working (I can't notice a difference).

Brand new spinner.

20210724_204556 (resized).jpg20210724_204556 (resized).jpg20210724_204707 (resized).jpg20210724_204707 (resized).jpg
#5490 2 years ago

Looks like "pinside" got into our thread, x2. Damn, we've been hacked!

#5502 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Did you flip it around already ? so the short end is facing down

The short end should always face down, that's how it's weighted. If the short end is facing up then the arms are bent to shit.

#5521 2 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

If it’s lowering then it knows the ball is trapped so kicking another ball should be automatic, so the spinner has something to do with that process?

yes

#5523 2 years ago

Did anyone else watch Karl's first attempt at getting platinum on all songs? That is WITHOUT getting Top of the Charts. In other words, you must get platinum on all songs without getting 5 gold on every song. There's a one Billion point bonus for doing so. Quite difficult, especially since he has it set for only one EB.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1097794921

#5534 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Not a big mod guy but Tommy with a Pinsound board with actual Who music and upgraded speakers/sub is an absolute banger. Wish I still had mine. That video mode though …you’re right. Quite possibly the worst 30 seconds in pinball history and now that I think about it, the reason I sold it. Tommy is up there for me though with LZ, MET, and Beatles.

I will play the video mode. You will leave the plane at the bottom of the screen as everyone suggests. I will beat you every time...

Edit: Not directed at any individual. I'm saying anybody.

#5555 2 years ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

Installed the PinMonk Tibetan Breeze v1.5 SPIKE 2 Flipper Cooling kit today for my Zep LE. This was my first purchase/install of this kit.
Verdict: Um, yeah, must have. Tested it and 30 minutes after continuous play I was able to backhand the right ramp. Previously, without it, that was a dead shot after about 15-20 minutes.
For me, it's simply a gamechanger because that's my most consistent shot along with the center ramp (and, well, of course the spinner when it's up). Posted my best Kashmir effort (when starting game with this song) with 8 gold records and actually made it through the entire song for the first time. Don't underestimate the importance of this to me - one of the greatest songs ever created and have been annoyed I hadn't made it through yet (yes, I'm a newbie player).
Only issue was the brackets for both the right and left didn't fit neatly into the space - I ended up sanding away portions of both - took me about 3-4 iterations each. I didn't want to remove more than was necessary - they fit perfectly though with what I sanded away. Not a big deal - easy to do, just some extra time. Install, other than that, was....ahem, a breeze. I'm sure it's impossible to create brackets that fit every game so no issue and this will be a must have for any of my pins that have flipper fade. For me, for what we spend on these pins, it seems that having more consistent flipper power/control is a no brainer for $120.
Just my 2 cents......hit me back with any thoughts/comments.

Same here. Good results with the Tibetan Breeze fans. I can backhand the right ramp deep into a long game now. I also had some fitment issues. What I did was relocate the lamp socket slightly that was interfering with the fit. Sanding sounds like a better way to go. Anyway, they work great and you can only hear them when in attract mode and they're very quiet. Backhanding that right ramp is important for sure!

#5564 2 years ago

Looks like we most likely have Steve Ritchie's last design at Stern. You might even say it's his Swan Song.

#5577 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

fully agree- i'd also like the announcer to call out the "super" shots when you hit the side ramp. I know the first one is for Super spinner after that i never know what i'm getting (and i'm too lazy to look it up).

Call outs would be nice. But even just changing the timing of the display would help. As it is now, you shoot the side ramp and the Super"whatever" is shown on the screen right about the time the ball is coming down the inlane. Just a bit earlier or later would be a big improvement.

#5626 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

GOT was super bright - sunglasses out!
May go LZ Pro, my main worry that the final wizard mode seems out of reach and takes over an hour to get to!

That's not correct. I've made the Celebration Day wizard mode about 4 or 5 times. It doesn't take an hour. Maybe 30-40 minutes, tops. Once you get 5 gold on all ten songs you get to Top of the Charts, which is similar to Sea of Simulation in Tron. Basically, you get a long MB to try and bring all your songs up to ten gold. Even if you don't complete it, you might come out on the other side with just two or three songs that need to be finished.

I'd have to look at my audits, but even with the max 5 EB's, I don't think I've had a single game last an hour.

#5663 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

yes I’ve been under a rock .Greta Van Fleet is a breath of fresh air in the music scene .Can’t stop listening .
[quoted image]

Their first two albums were killer. I'm not digging the 3rd as much.

#5675 2 years ago

Ugh, having another EM issue.
I've got about 170 games on my machine and today I started having an issue where the magnet wasn't grabbing the ball like it should. Here's a video of it happening (go to roughly the 1hr 8 min mark): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1117124505
(enjoy me whining about my expensive toy not working right)
It would work sometimes, and other times it wouldn't. Never had this issue until today and didn't change anything on the machine.

Nick, I have not seen that problem. AFAIK, there are two optos just behind the spinner. One reads the spinner and one reads the ball for the magnet to grab it. Check those optos in test mode. Also test your magnet in test mode.

#5705 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinnipeter:

Has anyone replaced the balls and if so what did you change them out with?

Yes, my factory balls became slightly magnetized around 400 games in. I replaced with carbon steel balls sold by Pinballlife. No issues since and I'm over 1,400 games.

#5706 2 years ago
Quoted from Bellagio:

Based off of videos I’m inclined to go with the premium, but I wanted to see what current owners think.
There are no LZ’s pro or prem on location in Georgia that I know of, but the SFGE show is next week so I’m looking forward to trying them out.

Yes! There are supposed to be 3 LZ pro and 3 LZ premiums at the Marco tent. I have a goal to put GC on as many as possible!

#5718 2 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Yup agreed, the orange powder coat didn't work with the black t-molding. Much better with orange t-molding too!
[quoted image]

Man, that looks sweet. Great color match!

#5721 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

Awsome man !I’ve been wondering who has stock in T-molding with most pins completely missing the mark a la IMDN .

https://www.t-molding.com/

#5722 2 years ago

I think that's solid?
[quoted image]

Heck yeah! My best is 13, but I'm usually doing good to get more than 3 or 4.

#5784 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Has anybody gotten the 3rd EM multiball?
It seems too tough to get I’ve given up trying to get it, rather work on songs.

Bunch of times. But only once did I get to the 4th, which is a 2nd EM Frenzy!

Yes, the third is just another EM MB, but the value of the original hurry-up starts at 1.5M I think? It can get big. The other night I had a super worth 52M, and I think my total for the MB was like 134M. So, it's definitely worth going for.

Pro tip: Sometimes with the upper flipper, try to sweep the ZEP drops. It can be done on purpose with practice. With a lucky bounce I once swept them TWICE in like 2 seconds!

#5793 2 years ago

Its only purpose is to keep balls from going back into the shooter lane. I'm one of the lucky ones that have never had a problem with the gate.

#5841 2 years ago

It's been a great day one at SFGE. I got GC on the first 3 Zeps. Then finished 5th in an 80 player tournament!

20210820_164958 (resized).jpg20210820_164958 (resized).jpg20210820_225554 (resized).jpg20210820_225554 (resized).jpg20210820_231811 (resized).jpg20210820_231811 (resized).jpg
#5843 2 years ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

What was your score ?

Nothing special. I think the best was around 700m. These games are set up poorly. One even had pre- band boost code!

#5844 2 years ago

#4 GC...

20210821_154104 (resized).jpg20210821_154104 (resized).jpg20210821_154231 (resized).jpg20210821_154231 (resized).jpg
#5850 2 years ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

Flipper strength is standard factory settings - I have not changed them (right and left are at factory default of 255). I cradle on the right flipper and hit that shot off the tip of the right flipper so it's a fairly strong shot and sometimes it rests in the hole and sometimes it just rattles out. I've never had this issue until the last 4 weeks or so, so something had to have happened I'm assuming....I just don't know what.

Mine only bounces out on the strongest of on the fly shots, and even then rarely. I'm guessing mine bounces out 2 or 3% of the time. When it does, it's exactly as you describe. It bounces out and a few seconds later you hear the solenoid engage to eject it. You might try raising the back legs. On mine the front legs are all the way in, back legs are about 1/2 way out.

#5851 2 years ago

Got two more Zep GC today at SFGE. And a couple more non-Zeps as well!

20210822_105138 (resized).jpg20210822_105138 (resized).jpg20210822_110749 (resized).jpg20210822_110749 (resized).jpg20210822_112553 (resized).jpg20210822_112553 (resized).jpg20210822_141624 (resized).jpg20210822_141624 (resized).jpg
#5867 2 years ago
Quoted from Greaseman:

I assume you are referring to raising the incline so the ball is somewhat slowed down when entering the left scoop. I'm already at 6.6 degrees and simply never had this issue until 4 weeks ago so I'm more...err.....inclined (groan) to believe it's something else going on that could be fixed. I did send an email to Pablo at Stern (thanks to zaki for suggesting that). Hopefully he has some ideas. I'm contemplating adding a small piece of foam to the back of the L bracket to "lessen the blowback" but it's a pain to get back there without dismantling some stuff.
Ugh. I'm going to play some JP and AIQ until I can get this fixed - just frustrating. I know, the horror of having to play other pins (ha ha).

Did you clean and wax recently?

#5878 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Anyone know what size/diameter rubber piece goes on the ZEP drop targets? Mines about to snap…

See #4431

#5880 2 years ago

Had my game powder coated, first time ever trying. Someone local did it and it came out pretty good. The color blends with the playfield colors so much better than stock.
Used Prismatic "Flat Hot Orange". For some reason, the powder coater dissuaded me from gloss. Was a bit worried how it would turn out, but I'm digging the satin finish. Doesn't show finger prints like gloss. Hopefully it holds up over time.

Nick, you need this to complete the look. Very easy to do. Just look up on youtube "how to install t-molding". Super easy.
https://www.t-molding.com/3-4in-orange-t-molding.html

20210313_114746 (resized).jpg20210313_114746 (resized).jpg
#5936 2 years ago

Hard to say what exactly is going on there. But I would say one thing is clear. The problem is that the ball is not coming through the area just before the controlled gate at a consistent angle. Sometimes it is hugging the ball guide and it seems to do fine. Other times it seems to be banking off the ball guide and then it goes too low to make the scoop. Maybe some slow mo video of the area near the end of the orbit would shed some light on this?

#5942 2 years ago
Quoted from feedthebiscuit:

Tips needed on how to get to a Billion on Led (Premium Edition)?
As a average player, I struggle to get past 300,000+ on my best games after 3 weeks using all of the out of the box settings. I know that the first answer is to get better, but I would like to get some suggestions from those who break 1 billion. It seems like there are 3 main components to a high score - 1) Keeping the ball in play 2) Getting as many extra balls as possible. 3) Knowing what are the accomplishments that will drive the highest score and obviously being able to hit those targets.
I have looked at the rules at a couple of different places, but they really don't describe the strategy to maximize scoring.
What are the first 5 things that you try to accomplish to get higher bonuses and scores? The good news is that even though I stink - I love playing this pin.
Thanks

There's no magic combination. What it takes is a solid knowledge of the whole rule set. Let me ask you a few questions:

1: Are you attempting and achieving add-a-ball on most every MB?
2: Do you understand how to get the center shot lit for almost endless shots during Kashmir?
3: Are you listening to the songs so that you know when the guitar solo is about to begin to start looping the center shot?
4: Are you trying to change songs at the top scoop as soon as it becomes available(5 gold records).
5: Are you using MB's to help make song shots?
6: Do you know which song has the longest guitar solo? (It's R&R)
7: Are you able to backhand the spinner? The left ramp? The right ramp?(not possible on all LZ's)
8: How often are you getting to EM Frenzy?(big points possible)
9: Do you have a good understanding of the green and red functions of the button?(in both MB and single ball play)
10: Do you have a good understanding of how Icarus X is built up and activated?(not activating it by accident is important)

You'll notice most of my questions involve the songs. Yes, the multiballs can be good for points. But completing songs gets you to the wizard modes where the really big points are.

#5953 2 years ago

I got a new EM MB high score tonight. So hard to set it up just right. My Supers during this were 39M! Sometimes they're only 5M. Sometimes they're only 500K. The set up phase is difficult and the most important part.

20210831_205719 (resized).jpg20210831_205719 (resized).jpg
#5980 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Folks,
is there a absolute fix for the spinner getting stuck half up? it seems like the spinner itself could be weighted more?
I have two games with the old mech, are those with the new mech avoiding this? It seems not so great that a key feature like this is flakey.
Neil.

Hey Neil, I didn't realize you had the old mech. Same here. There is something else you can do. Stern suggested that we slightly bend outwards the two metal tabs that the the spinner arms go into. That's what I did not long after I got the game and it worked well for me.

#5981 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Hey Neil, I didn't realize you had the old mech. Same here. There is something else you can do. Stern suggested that we slightly bend outwards the two metal tabs that the the spinner arms go into. That's what I did not long after I got the game and it worked well for me.

b06c00a51aba1a711fc8f88417d623b35a166672 (resized).jpgb06c00a51aba1a711fc8f88417d623b35a166672 (resized).jpg
#6017 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Hey all, apologies in advance for coming right in with an issue. I just set up my Premium and I’m hosting our league tomorrow. The problem is that when the EM captures a ball and pulls it under the playfield, the game goes into ball search almost every time. In diags, the EM stage end-of-travel switches register fine, and so does the EM opto. Trough optos all register. I may just disable the EM for tomorrow if I can’t figure this out by 5:00. Kind of a bummer though.

The work around is to give it a slight forward shove. The fix is the straighten the bent spinner arms and put a drop of oil on each spinner arm. And if you have old style, bend the tabs out slightly. See post #5981

#6034 2 years ago

But the pro is so "barren"! LOL, Just kidding of course. I love this game in all it's forms.

#6106 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

How’s this for a dubious achievement:
- 3 Tour MBs played
- 2 Zep MBs
- 4.5 songs completed (so close!!!)
- 1 EM MB
And my score was just 335M, lol.

You will find that Mothership MB for 5 songs doesn't really boost your score that much. But EM Frenzy, that can double a 335M score! World Tour can be pretty beefy too. Celebration Day can triple or quadruple your score!

#6117 2 years ago
Quoted from Blue_Agave:

Looking for help on adjusting the trajectory of the ball when it ejects out of the left eject. When the ball ejects it’s hitting the top of the left sling and not to the left flipper. I removed the plastic above that rail thinking that there would be a screw to adjust the rail, but no screw.

First, make absolutely sure the game is level and not leaning to the left.
Second, the game might be too steep. Try making more shallow.
Third, if neither of those work, you can put a flat blade screwdriver behind the rail near the end and gently pry it out .

I know how frustrating this can be. I played a pro on location for a long time that would bounce off the top of the sling. Totally messes up the flow of the game.

#6120 2 years ago
Quoted from shlt_thunder:

Does anyone have any strategies for hitting the right ramp with a backhand. I do it sometimes but usually too in the moment to figure out what I did with any consistency.

Let me tell you an advanced way of hitting the right ramp. Difficult, but do it once and you'll be hooked. Ball in left saucer, when it kicks out, do not flip. The ball will bounce from the left flipper to the right flipper. Now, on the fly, backhand the right ramp with the right flipper. I'm telling you, if you do it once you will be hooked. I can pull it off about 25% of the time now with lots of practice.

#6122 2 years ago
Quoted from Blue_Agave:

I’ve got it level side to side and have the playfield at 7 degrees. If 7 too much? I’m going to try to gently pry the rail.
Also having an issue with the shooter hate getting stuck backwards when the ball hits it and the ball gets stuck.

You might try 6.5 and see if it makes a difference.

#6136 2 years ago
Quoted from Blue_Agave:

So after being delivered Friday night I spent the weekend playing my LZ Prem. I saw a post here that recommended changing the sling power to 16 to prevent the ball from leaving the playfield, which I changed. Are there any other settings I should consider modifying? All three flippers and both ejects are at factory default and I was wondering if there was an advantage of changing these default settings. I also lowered the setting for the ball eject into the shooter lane. Any tips or opinions are greatly appreciated.

The lower flippers default is already on max. I also set my upper flipper to max. Default on that one is slightly below max for some reason.

I also lowered the one that says something like "upper eject when gate closed". It was too powerful and the ball often bounced right back into the eject on mine.

#6148 2 years ago

Aside from the test you showed earlier, you can just go into switch test and push the switches manually and look for sw 70 and 71 to open and close. Try re-seating connector CN12 on node board 9 if the switches physically look ok.

#6149 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Zep electric magic spinner:
I'm considering changing out my original early build spinner for the replacement "fix kit" spinner.
Do i need to change the entire included assembly, or can I just swap the spinner itself (the old one with the 90 degree angle arms to the new one with the bent angle arms).
I guess what I'm asking is does anybody know if there's anything else different with the "new" fix kit assembly? (bracket etc.)

The new spinner needs to be installed with all the new hardware. Mine came with about a dozen pages of instructions. Did you get that also? I have not installed any of it because my original works great.

#6183 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Question for Pro owners: how do you know your progress on the songs you’re not currently playing, without the indicators on the backpanel? I happen to agree that the Pro rocks, but I have wondered about this.

Two ways: Instant info is one. The other is to be at the song select screen from shooting the upper eject with a min. 5 gold records(or in the shooter lane at the start of a ball). As you scroll through the songs you will see what your progress is on each song.

Both are highly inferior to our prem/LE backboard! Just be sure to drill or dremmel out the R in Rock and Roll to get the full song lit up.(I know it's minor, but once you see it.....)

#6190 2 years ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Here’s a couple photos of my EM mech

Your EM base is sitting too high when raised. It needs to be flush. Go under the PF and lower the motor ever so slightly. Several other owners have fixed EM spinner problems by leveling the base height even with the PF.

Also looks like it might be a little higher on the left than the right.

#6231 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I love the idea that zep is the one machine known to “dimple” and there are people out there eagerly awaiting a fix so they can finally buy a zep.
“Dimple.” The single dumbest word in the pinball hobby.

I can appreciate that. But the single dumbest word in the pinball hobby...... TABLE.

#6232 2 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I had difficulty making the right ramp with a backhand so I lowered the ramp 1/4 inch which made things better but I could only consistently do it the first 10 minutes of play due to flipper fade. I added a 5v usb fan and it cured it without spending $120. Plug your 9ft. USB extension into the back box port where you do updates and add a USB fan
This did wonders for about $15 to $20.
You need a 9 to 10 ft USB extension and your choice of fan, the pancake style will work if you desire. I mounted with double sided tape and a little epoxy.

This is great! I did spend the $120 and it did solve all fade issues with LZ. This is a good option for the backhand but I guess you would need a second one to do both flippers.

#6244 2 years ago

New meaning to the phrase " crater face". Lol

20210404_162454 (resized).jpg20210404_162454 (resized).jpg
#6255 2 years ago
emfrenzy meme (resized).jpgemfrenzy meme (resized).jpg
#6295 2 years ago

All those things mentioned will help with the side ramp shot. I was the one who came up with bending the prongs and I've done the same thing to the right ramp. But here is one more thing to check. Make sure the metal ball guide lines up exactly withe the edge of the scoop. My rail was pushed back such that the ball would hit the edge of the scoop. I just had to bend the rail inward to get it to line up. Also, frequent cleaning and waxing of this whole area will help and make sure to set your upper flipper power to 255. I tend to think this is a very valuable shot so it shouldn't be too easy. But damn, it is a hard shot most of the time!

20210614_211635 (resized).jpg20210614_211635 (resized).jpg9bebaf0ecf2790aca3db9095c07a8112c796a249 (resized).png9bebaf0ecf2790aca3db9095c07a8112c796a249 (resized).png
1 week later
#6368 2 years ago

Sounds like a bug. They probably never expected anybody to set it up for an EB every 10M on a game that scores in the 100's of millions, and billions are quite possible. Seems like you could get the same experience by just setting it up for 10 balls.

#6374 2 years ago

Anywhere you put a lubricant where the ball travels, the ball is going to spread that everywhere it goes. Ball trough, shooter lane, the entire playfield. I understand you are using it very lightly but I would not recommend it. Best thing you can do is minimize any friction by keeping it clean and waxed. Also, replacing balls is important. I have around 1,500 games on LZ and I have replaced the balls twice.

#6375 2 years ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Yeah having Replay set to Fixed seems to be working like Dynamic. When set to 10m intervals with Replay 4 at 40m I checked the display mid game and it said Replay at 40m. I scored more than 40m and got the EB. Then to test I changed intervals to 20,40,60,80 and started a new game. Right away I checked the settings and Replay was 100m. After getting 100m+, the next game Replay was set to 120m in the display.
Is the norm to not even do EB as Replay for HUO and instead reward a credit so it doesn't make the game easier? I see there are other forums asking the question but wonder how LZ owners set theirs up. I have kiddies just under 10 so wouldn't mind if they have longer games by way of EBs. Mine is set with quarters so maybe i should forgo the EB replay.

You might try tweaking the rules to make EB's easier to get. Like one completed song instead of four. And one completed tour instead of two. Maybe set the game for 5 balls plus those changes and you've got a longer playing game plus easier opportunities for EB's. Also, some players will set up one replay score for EB.

#6380 2 years ago
Quoted from Blue_Agave:

Well I’m three weeks into ownership of my LZ Prem and love the game. I typically do not turn the volume up so that I do not disturb the lady of the house, but I did the other night and in some instances it would make the glass rattle. After some inspection I determined it was not the playfield glass, but the back glass.
The top right corner is just a little loose and rattles a little when the volume is up. I haven’t removed the black glass yet to check, but is the little rubber piece in the top of the back box adjustable? If not I was thinking maybe some electrical tape to narrow the gap the back glass sits in. Anybody have this issue? If so, how did you resolve? Thanks!

On my Game of Thrones I had to put three small strips of velcro(just the cloth side of the velcro) on the back at the very top. I was able to put it directly on the plastic frame so nothing is stuck to the actual translite. That worked for me. It was so loose it would rattle when I nudged the machine. I've had to do similar things to many of my pins over the years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

6,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
5,286 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, IN
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 65.99
$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
376 posts in this topic match your search for posts by LOTR_breath. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LOTR_breath.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-zeppelin-le-thread?tu=LOTR_breath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.