20221112_104906 (resized).jpg
20221112_102121 (resized).jpg
20221112_115345 (resized).jpg
20210319_212153 (resized).jpg
IMG_4768 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4769 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4772 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1279 Spinner fix with photos Posted by Motorcitypinball (3 years ago)

Post #2246 Side ramp fix Posted by LOTR_breath (3 years ago)

Post #2568 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by LOTR_breath (3 years ago)

Post #3413 Pinwoofer settings Posted by Greaseman (3 years ago)

Post #3576 Spinner fix. Posted by Hayfarmer (3 years ago)

Post #3768 new spinner Posted by LargemouthAss (3 years ago)

Post #6946 TECH: LIGHTING. EM Frenzy light show disable location Posted by pascal-pinball (2 years ago)

Post #7167 EM adjustment Posted by LeMansFan (2 years ago)

Post #7175 EM rubber replacement Posted by pinballjah (2 years ago)

Post #7285 Em o- rings Posted by Blue_Agave (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JOESCHALL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7416 2 years ago

Enjoying a Pro I just picked up last week and looking forward to the topper, which is on back order. Also rigged with an inexpensive audio jack from pinball life, and I'm enjoying the headphones option (as is my wife, working from home in the office down the hall). Am having a strange problem with the upper flipper that I'll post about once I do a bit more experimentation and documentation.

#7419 2 years ago

I have sent a version of the below message to Stern tech support for help, and I will post the reply from Stern here as well, but I thought I would post this to the community to see if you have any insight and on the off chance that anyone else has had a similar problem on this or any other Spike 2 machine. I sure am puzzled, and I wonder if this is a node board or wiring issue, but I'm probably overlooking something more obvious. Here's the issue:

Having a vexing problem with the upper flipper of my Led Zeppelin Pro. It sticks up in the hold position occasionally during game play and even more consistently in switch test mode. Once stuck in the hold position, it will only drop if struck by the ball or touched by my hand.

I have checked the flipper mechanism's mechanical integrity and all related solder connections on the cabinet switches and the flipper assembly, and everything looks good. The flipper EOS switch is closed when the flipper is at rest and open when the flipper is engaged, as it should be. Once the flipper is stuck up in the hold position during switch test mode, it does not drop on its own, even when I turn the machine off, which is puzzling but seems in a sense to eliminate any mechanical issue. Yet if I put the flipper into the hold position mechanically, whether the machine is on or off, it always drops down to its resting position, which also definitely seems to eliminate any mechanical issue.

In the below, message1 (in white lettering) is what I get when the upper flipper is engaged in the hold position by activating the switch in switch test. I activate the switch by closing it by hand briefly and the flipper engages, then the switch opens but the flipper remains engaged.

In the below, message2 (in colored lettering) is what I get after engaging the flipper by way of the above process and then holding the switch for the upper flipper closed by hand. During this process the flipper also remains engaged.

Any thoughts?

message1 (resized).JPGmessage1 (resized).JPGmessage2 (resized).JPGmessage2 (resized).JPG
#7421 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Taken it apart and looked at the coil stop? I would do that first, then check clearance on the bushing too.

Yes, a good idea. I took it apart completely--in part just to make sure a sleeve was in there! Checked the bushing, stop, and everything else I could think of that could be influencing it mechanically. It never sticks up in the hold position if I activate it by hand--only if I activate it via the cabinet switch. Appreciate the suggestion very much, though.

#7423 2 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

If it stays up when the machine is off, that eliminates electrical. This is either a mechanical or magnetic issue.

Of course, that's totally logical. Sometimes, I reverse my logic and miss the obvious. I guess I was focusing too much on the fact that I couldn't replicate the problem purely mechanically and thus thought mechanical was eliminated. Thank you!

Your suggestions make perfect sense, and I have plenty of flipper coil stops to spare. I will tinker and post when the problem is resolved. Dang it, I had the flipper apart already and should have just flopped the stop with another one as the first thing I tried.

#7427 2 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

2. Switch the coil stop with one from one of the other flippers. It could be magnetism (the plunger magnets to the coil stop) that is holding it up. You may find that the issue follows the coil stop to the other flipper, or that neither has an issue after doing this. If this fixes it order a couple spares so you have them on hand, even if they don't become magnetic again they're notorious for breaking in newer Sterns.

This stopped the issue with my LZ flipper sticking up. It was not the bushing but the stop. Swapped the stop for the upper right flipper with that for the left and the problem disappeared, including in switch test. The simplest of solutions often eludes me. I don't know how many times I need to re-learn that lesson, but I'm grateful that pinsiders--and my wife--are there to help me re-learn it.

3 months later
#7863 1 year ago

Can someone with a Zep Pro please help me troubleshoot this parts problem described below? What I need to know is the part number for the harness in your Zep Pro that connects in the backbox to CN4--CABINET NODE. The part number will be on a tag about a foot from that connector in the backbox. The part number for the harness I have is 036-5600-54.

I ask this because I went to hook up the expression lights in my Pro but could not because my harness that runs to CN4 is clearly missing a connector and the associated wiring. According to the expression lights installation instructions and the video by Tim Sexton, that connector should be an unused white five-pin that sits in the harness near the cabinet speaker. But my harness clearly has no such connector or wiring and I'm guessing that the wrong harness was installed in CN4. I plan to write to Stern to ask for a new harness, but I want to be sure to get the correct one and verify the part number--in addition, I'm curious if other Pro owners have hooked up the expression lights and had to get a different harness than factory to do so. Any help to shed light on this problem is appreciated.

#7864 1 year ago

Following up on my above request, I wrote to Stern and got a same-day reply confirming that the harness used in my Led Zep did not have the correct connector for expression lights hookup. This was due to the harness available when my machine was manufactured. As a fix, under my machine warranty, Stern is sending me a y-connector and harness that will power off the cabinet node board, which will allow me to hook up the expression lights mod. Thanks to Stern for fast and helpful tech support.

1 week later
#7877 1 year ago
Quoted from howitzer11:

Did you receive the harness? I’m in the same situation Stern responded immediately saying they would send one I still don’t have it.

Not yet, but I will update once I do.

#7884 1 year ago
Quoted from notbodied:

I had the same issue. I did not want to wait so I cut into the unused 48v wires going to the playfield. Lights work great and are awesome! I took a few pictures if you're interested.

I'd be interested in those pics if they show how you managed this, along with some further detail if possible. Getting tired of waiting for the promised part from Stern.

#7904 1 year ago
Quoted from howitzer11:

Thanks for the pictures. I was guessing the harness they send would be a jumper from the CN14 port on the node 1 board, but now seeing that there is an unused 48v in the cabinet harness makes realize two things one the harness will go from there to optional cabinet lighting and two this is a sleazy move at best by Stern. They should have either included the harness with the expression kit (with the price charged) or simply not advertise something they know at some point not to be true.

Thanks also to notbodied for the pics and explanation. My skills are limited, so I will wait for the fix from Stern. I wrote again to the tech support person at Stern who had responded to my initial request and he forwarded it to the parts department, and I heard from the parts department yesterday that the parts would be sent to me ASAP, so we'll see. The tech support person also sent me a PDF called "Expression lights TEE Power Adaptor Kit Game Accessory, Installation Instructions." If that's of any use of you, howitzer11, and you don't already have that PDF, let me know and I'll send it to you. It does clear some things up related to the hardware and hookup, assuming one waits for and uses the Stern fix.

#7906 1 year ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

well, to put things in perspective, for my 40th birthday I bought AIQ, I had issues and made a call to service, they said they would send me parts. I sold the game 2 months after... I am 41 and a half now, I just got the parts last week. lol true story.

Yes, good perspective. Understood. Sometimes ASAP means "As Sternly As Possible." I've been waiting 6 months for a promised replacement for a damaged cabinet for an NIB game under warranty as well. We'll see . . .

#7909 1 year ago
Quoted from howitzer11:

Yeah if you could post the pdf or message it to me that would be great. Thanks

PMed link to PDF.

#7910 1 year ago
Quoted from howitzer11:

Has anyone put a topper on a pro? I know it kind of defeats the purpose of buying a pro but... The colors are clearly tailored towards the LE. Just wondering if anyone has a pict if they could post it.

I have put a topper on the Pro. Looks and works great. It's routed so it will be a bit before I can get a photo, but I'll post one later if no one else does.

#7911 1 year ago

For any others interested, here's a link to Stern's "Expression lights TEE Power Adaptor Kit Game Accessory, Installation Instructions."

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ydXzhCkrjCWE3GmMxugza-VNSKBgpEPS/view

#7914 1 year ago

A cheap mod is an audio jack from pinball life or pinnovators as well as the lighted speaker panel kit. A very expensive mod is the topper, now available from some distributors, but you pay a pretty penny for that. I have all three and love them.

#7916 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Expression Lights are a MUST have.

I agree, but I'd say you'd best check to be sure that you have the necessary harness connector (should be a free white connector in the bottom center of cabinet lying next to the speaker) before you attempt to hook them up or get them. If you read through this thread you'll see that some of us did not have that connector in our LZ Pro pins, which is necessary to hook up the expression lights, and we're still waiting on the parts from Stern to address the issue and enable the expression lights power supply hookup. Also, note that you really need to remove the playfield to hook up the expression lights, so it's much easier with two people.

#7918 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Sounds like I'm lucky they came pre-installed by the prior owner.

Yes, you are!

#7921 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

What is this for exactly? Thanks.

Instructions from Stern for hooking up expression lights IF your machine was missing the proper harness and connector from factory to do so. A few of us with Stern Pros bought the expression lights then when we went to hook them up found out we were missing the necessary hardware, which Stern has promised to send (still waiting for the hardware, but Stern sent me the PDF for when it comes).

1 week later
#7941 1 year ago
Quoted from BrandonLaw:

Anyone have a legit fix for this yet? Honestly, I don't mind leaving it off as I could use a multi-ball break, but what about hitting it lightly with some dykes to imprint some slots and tossing a tiny E-Clip on it? Anyone try this?

I have two routed LZs and the gates came off on both. What I did was reinstall each gate and simply put a drop of solder on the top end of the gate so that the straight end couldn't slip back through the assembly. The games have been played a few hundred times since and have operated properly and remained in place.

#7947 1 year ago
Quoted from BrandonLaw:

Gate issue solved. Elegantly, I'd like to think.

Simple: In order of pics. Mark it. Score it. Take off bracket (unless your meathooks are tiny or you're in the mood to lose a clip to the pinball abyss.) Reinstall bracket which gives you a chance to true it up to NOT hit the ball guide. Profit.

Nice fix and nice pics. Thanks!

2 months later
#8201 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’m picking up a used pro LZ and will be installing the expression light kit. Do I have to take the playfield out for that install?

The demo video by Tim Sexton shows the playfield removed, and I found when I installed my lights that it was definitely worth removing the playfield and having two people on hand to do it. You could probably accomplish the installation without removing the playfield, but because of the nature of the recessed lights, the number of screws involved and gaining easy access to all of them, and putting on the decals, removing the playfield is worth it, IMO.

4 weeks later
#8273 1 year ago
Quoted from Drussksu:

Where did you get those lit frames for your translites?

For my money, Cointaker is a great choice for lit frames for translites:

https://cointaker.com/products/backlight-led-frame-stern-spike-2-translites

https://cointaker.com/products/backlight-led-frame-for-stern-spike-1-translites

3 months later
#8598 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBubbles:

For some reason when I plunge the ball manually the ball doesn't travel far. It's almost like the shooter rod is slightly hitting the auto-plunge mech. Auto plunge seems to be working fine on its own.

Does anyone know what adjustment should be made? The shooter rod seems fine if take out the play field.

This is typically a result of the rear of the autoplunger and shooter rod rubbing slightly against each other--even just the C-clip on the shooter rod may be rubbing. There is no one solution. Some bend the autoplunger arms a bit as Levi suggested; some add washers to the housing around the shooter rod or cut the shooter rod spring a bit to shorten it. A non-invasive experimental fix is to create a spacer by attaching something thick that is sticky on one side (say, a command strip or a thick tape such as that used under side rails) to the underside of the metal assembly so that the nylon portion of the plunger rests against this spacer instead of the metal (see image below). This added spacer, which can easily be removed, can raise the rear of the autoplunger just enough that it no longer rubs against the shooter rod, and both the autoplunger and shooter still do their jobs effectively. This issue and approach are not specific to LZ, but can be applied to any game.

Good luck!

autoplunger.pngautoplunger.png

1 week later
#8621 1 year ago

Took my Zep out last night for a "Rock the 80s" concert and cancer awareness fundraiser in State College, PA, set on free play. Made one Led Zep fan--complete with a LZ tee-shirt--and others in 80s costumes very happy.

LZ1 (resized).JPGLZ1 (resized).JPGLZ2 (resized).JPGLZ2 (resized).JPG
#8627 1 year ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

That's awesome. Most people probable have never even seen this pin

Indeed. Several people just wanted their pictures taken with it. The number one question I get when I take pins out to events: "Is anyone still making these?" Sad, but true--especially for a college town that had two great pin places just 20 years ago, one of which served as a test spot for early production models in the 90s.

2 months later
#8763 12 months ago

Sorry to be leaving the club, but just posted my Led Zep Pro FS. $6,000 firm with lots of mods, including topper and expression lights. Will be bringing to Pinfest if it doesn't sell before then. Posting a note here in case any LZ owners know someone who's looking.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/156259

#8765 12 months ago

From memory, I think I paid about $900. I bought it directly from Cointaker during one of my visits.

#8768 12 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

I thought they were going for around $2k there for a minute, must have been a shortage or maybe a different game I'm thinking of. Still an incredible deal for $6k with all those mods for whoever gets it. Gltws!

Thanks so much, Yes, RUSH toppers are double that.

#8770 12 months ago

The LZ topper is definitely cool as can be. Some people disable the "search light" activity as either a distraction or because of the motor noise. I think the action is cool, but not everyone would agree, especially depending on the playing environment. And I'd say adding an audio jack, as I did, is a must. Much better game immersion.

#8772 12 months ago
Quoted from BrianJ1337:

I like the topper but changed out my back glass for one closer to the LE style as it didn’t match the premium very well. It is a bit noisy but I like when you’re in multiplier mode and it goes crazy.

Agreed on all counts. A nice tribute corner and a beauty of a machine. I will miss mine!

#8779 12 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

I dig the spotlights, but the reflections always make me think someone is walking in when I'm in the middle of other games

Yes, I get that same feeling when I'm actually playing LZ due to the movement of the spots, especially when I plug into the audio jack. Often makes me think my wife ventured down to the basement to watch (which isn't a bad thing ).

Good to know you can turn them off just during attract mode, Brian. Thanks for that tip.

#8790 11 months ago
Quoted from dinot:

just received a topper. Unfortunately, it is missing the manual. I watched a video on how to setup a topper (on a Stranger Things). But, this LZ topper has 1 more connector than that topper. I am guessing that it goes to the connector I have circled in red. Any help would be appreciated.

In the manual, there is just one page devoted to wiring harness installation. Photos from that page are below. Hope this helps.

LZ Topper 1 (resized).JPGLZ Topper 1 (resized).JPGLZ Topper 2 (resized).JPGLZ Topper 2 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 65.99
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Far Hills, NJ
$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

5,699 (OBO)
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JOESCHALL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-zeppelin-le-thread?tu=JOESCHALL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.