28D218B2-A36A-44BA-9915-9167FC79FFF5 (resized).jpeg
AF8E8C80-3EDE-44C2-89C2-A72C58E73ECD (resized).jpeg
20210630_174316 (resized).jpg
20210701_145400 (resized).jpg
83B8835D-CCA1-496E-B6CC-28EE57DA42E6.jpeg
6105CFD5-17A3-434A-BA54-29706CBC6A10.jpeg
20211020_090437 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6542 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 131.
#6251 28 days ago

Anyone with a shaker motor on their LZ, how is it, or how is it now on v1.05?

#6252 28 days ago
Quoted from aaronjmill:

That's just it, though, I hate the Electric Magic gimmick. It feels like more of a disruption in the flow of the game than anything else to me. Also, and this is less important, but I love the psychedelic LZIII theme on the Pro. Idk. I'd still like to just get these two assemblies and see if it would be as simple as plug and play. I'll dig into it.

You reminded me, I need to grab a Pro translite while they’re cheap. I slightly prefer the Prem translite, but it’s nice to switch it up every 6-12 months, like a new coat of paint. I have Pinstein’s custom translite coming this week, can’t wait to see that.

#6253 28 days ago
Quoted from aaronjmill:

That's just it, though, I hate the Electric Magic gimmick. It feels like more of a disruption in the flow of the game than anything else to me. Also, and this is less important, but I love the psychedelic LZIII theme on the Pro. Idk. I'd still like to just get these two assemblies and see if it would be as simple as plug and play. I'll dig into it.

I'm in the minority with you. I like the pro better. Not a fan of electric magic. It offers little to the game. The lights and ramp are good on the premium, but em is annoying.

#6254 28 days ago
Quoted from Killtacular:

Anyone with a shaker motor on their LZ, how is it, or how is it now on v1.05?

Definitely improves it. It’s more subtle than on some games, but I really like it. It’s used in all the right places.

#6255 28 days ago
emfrenzy meme (resized).jpg
#6256 28 days ago

Here’s my take on Electric Magic. The rules for it are incremental, so I’d feel comfortable playing a Pro in league or on location. But, how many modern pins let you rip a spinner in the middle of the playfield, with a multiball to amp it up even more? It’s also a 3rd multiball, which I feel is important for variety AND for getting to the wizard modes. If you’re already biased toward backhand shots, it doesn’t block any shots - even the middle ramp can be made. I’m 100% a “Pro buyer”, but the EM Frenzy made me go Premium on this game.

Still, I’d like to play a Pro just to get a feel for how it plays. I think that version will be more rare, like Transformers Pro - ever try to find one of those?

It just occurred to me - what do the LED ZEP targets earn you on the Pro? I only shoot those to qualify EM, during one of the tour MBs, and to qualify some tour MBs. I hope they at least get you points on the Pro.

#6257 28 days ago

I've never played the pro so I won't knock it in any way. But I can't imagine playing without the em. Just the light show and sounds are worth while to me, plus big scoring in frenzy. Pinwoofer, klipsch 12" sub, unreal sounds.

#6258 28 days ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I've never played the pro so I won't knock it in any way. But I can't imagine playing without the em. Just the light show and sounds are worth while to me, plus big scoring in frenzy. Pinwoofer, klipsch 12" sub, unreal sounds.

I was playing today and couldnt imagine not having the EM,too much fun

#6259 28 days ago

I'm pretty sure the EM spinner is the most satisfying spinner I have ever ripped. It's an odd location for a spinner, which I really enjoy, and man does that sucker spin like crazy when you nail it. Add the magnet catch and disappearing act, and I find it a ton of fun. I have admittedly never played a pro, but removing that mech and turning the side ramp into a dead-end target shot do not seem like changes I could be content with. I'm glad so many enjoy their pro, but in this case the upgrade would be worth it to me.

Hoping to join the club sometime soon! This is one of those rare games that I can't stop thinking about since finally playing it, which is weird as it wasn't even on my radar before. Even Godzilla, while amazing looking, hasn't lured me away from wanting LZ next (though of course, I haven't played GZ yet). Those LZ shots are just so freaking good. And the rules are so unique and interesting. I never get sick of watching RayDay's streams. Man I wish I could play like that!

#6260 28 days ago

My favorite new thing to do on this game is to rip the left spinner, then hit the ball on the fly with the left flipper, which either repeats the loop or lands the ball in the left eject about half the time. Pro-approved.

#6261 28 days ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I was playing today and couldnt imagine not having the EM,too much fun

Add the super spinners with the sounds and lights during frenzy...... That's enough for the extra cost by itself.

#6262 28 days ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I'm pretty sure the EM spinner is the most satisfying spinner I have ever ripped. It's an odd location for a spinner, which I really enjoy, and man does that sucker spin like crazy when you nail it. Add the magnet catch and disappearing act, and I find it a ton of fun. I have admittedly never played a pro, but removing that mech and turning the side ramp into a dead-end target shot do not seem like changes I could be content with. I'm glad so many enjoy their pro, but in this case the upgrade would be worth it to me.
Hoping to join the club sometime soon! This is one of those rare games that I can't stop thinking about since finally playing it, which is weird as it wasn't even on my radar before. Even Godzilla, while amazing looking, hasn't lured me away from wanting LZ next (though of course, I haven't played GZ yet). Those LZ shots are just so freaking good. And the rules are so unique and interesting. I never get sick of watching RayDay's streams. Man I wish I could play like that!

You can come and play my Pro - you might find you like it more than you think...

#6263 28 days ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

You can come and play my Pro - you might find you like it more than you think...

We should start a poll of lz pro vs premium. I think it's be 2 votes pro and 5,224 premium.
I'm glad I got pro . I will say that after reading horror stories on the em broke. I Was at Cleveland show a few weeks ago and and the em broke, brand new out of box . Light progression would not register.

#6264 28 days ago

LZ was the first machine I ever purchased. Played the pro first as a test and then ordered up a premium. EM, Lights, extra scoop add a ton to the game. No brainer for me.

#6265 28 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

LZ was the first machine I ever purchased. Played the pro first as a test and then ordered up a premium. EM, Lights, extra scoop add a ton to the game. No brainer for me.

Same here, for the past seven months been playing the pro at the local brewery. Liked the game very much and pulled the trigger on my first pin, the Premium. Loving the EM, the lights, and the extra ramp.

#6266 28 days ago

Anyone else having issues with their topper? I’m on my 2nd one now due to the first one having the spotlights go out. I’ve had my replacement topper for almost a month and now the spotlights are not lighting up. Everything else lights up and the spotlights move, but no lights emitting.

#6267 28 days ago
Quoted from zaki:

We should start a poll of lz pro vs premium. I think it's be 2 votes pro and 5,224 premium.
I'm glad I got pro . I will say that after reading horror stories on the em broke. I Was at Cleveland show a few weeks ago and and the em broke, brand new out of box . Light progression would not register.

No horror stories. Just needed to be dialed in. Huge majority of owners have not had problems since, me included. It's pinball, things break and need to be adjusted.

#6268 28 days ago

I only know of one EM issue that’s affecting most of us, which is that occasionally when the EM mech submerges, the ball stays where it is and doesn’t trigger the opto, so you get a ball search. It’s more of a nuisance than a “horror story”, and I think it’ll get fixed eventually.

#6269 27 days ago

I haven’t played the pro and I bought the premium without playing one. I went off videos and that spinner checks a bunch of boxes for me. 1.When it’s down the playfield is open and clear for fast and flowy shots which I love.
2. When it’s up it affects the playfield in a neat and fun way and is only up for a mode so when it is up I enjoy it.
3. It’s a magnet and physical ball lock which is very cool.
I still need a bit more time to finalize my thoughts on LZ but it may well be my favourite game I have ever played.
Long winded rant to say I love LZ premium

#6270 27 days ago

Did a temporary swap to babysit a friends LZ premium. When the spinner isn’t working properly the game really sucks the wind out of my sails, but I tried the “flip it around” trick tonight and it really made a huge difference! It’s like they labeled the spinner wrong and it was factory backwards if that’s possible. If your spinner isn’t hanging perpendicular to the playfield but hanging with the bottom leaning more towards the flippers consistently I recommend you try that solution, time will tell but I think it’s gonna be much better. His was getting bashed and bent and we would fix it and the same thing would happen, played a couple games tonight and it’s a night and day difference.

FWIW after playing with a working spinner I don’t think there’s any way I would not go premium on this game, hated the pro I played on location when I tried it earlier this year.

#6271 27 days ago
Quoted from zaki:

I had a pro and liked it so much I sold it and bought the premium. The pro was a great game. I likely am in the minority, but I’m not so sure the prem is that much better than the pro. The EM spinner mech obviously is significant and it makes hitting the drop targets a bit more meaningful, but is it worth $2k+ more?? The expression lighting is great, but it can be added to the pro. That middle ramp that you shoot off the upper flipper is really hard to hit consistently, almost making it useless. If someone has an adjustment for it, would love to hear it. For those on the fence, don’t discount the pro so much, it’s a lot of fun.

#6272 27 days ago

Just want to add that I emailed stern about my topper issue and they replied 10 minutes later with solutions to solve my issue. Gotta say I’m very impressed with their customer service - Pablo is awesome in tech support. Goes a long way in my book.

#6273 27 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

That middle ramp that you shoot off the upper flipper is really hard to hit consistently, almost making it useless. If someone has an adjustment for it, would love to hear it. For those on the fence, don’t discount the pro so much, it’s a lot of fun.

There are a few things you can do. Adjust the ramp to maximize the opening at the turnaround, and bend down the “prongs” slightly where the ramp meets the turnaround. I’m making that shot a lot more after those changes, it’s incredibly satisfying when you make it, so I go for it as often as I can.

#6274 27 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

There are a few things you can do. Adjust the ramp to maximize the opening at the turnaround, and bend down the “prongs” slightly where the ramp meets the turnaround. I’m making that shot a lot more after those changes, it’s incredibly satisfying when you make it, so I go for it as often as I can.

If I may ask, what tool do you recommend to bend down the “prongs”? Thanks in advance.

#6275 27 days ago
Quoted from Blue_Agave:

If I may ask, what tool do you recommend to bend down the “prongs”? Thanks in advance.

I just used some channel locks, but you could probably use pliers too. I just bent them down maybe a millimeter, it doesn’t take much.

#6276 27 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I just used some channel locks, but you could probably use pliers too. I just bent them down maybe a millimeter, it doesn’t take much.

Thanks! I’d imagine using the channel locks along with a microfiber towel for protection. I need to slightly bend the prong in the middle of the ramp as the ball catches there from time to time slowing down the ball.

#6277 27 days ago

I don't really care about hitting the center ramp with the upper flipper (there's two perfectly good lower flippers for that), but if anybody has any tips in making the upper flipper ramp any easier I'd love to hear it.

Perfect shots tend to rattle around in there and it's very rare that I can make that shot. It doesn't seem like a very good design, frankly.

#6278 27 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Just want to add that I emailed stern about my topper issue and they replied 10 minutes later with solutions to solve my issue. Gotta say I’m very impressed with their customer service - Pablo is awesome in tech support. Goes a long way in my book.

How did you fix the lights?

#6279 27 days ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

How did you fix the lights?

To avoid sending it in for repair and the time involved, they are sending me a new spotlight wiring harness. He said he's seen this before and if one goes out, they both go out. Pablo said its an easy swap out.

Hayfarmer - bummed to see you bailed on Halloween! I should be getting the call any day now.

#6280 27 days ago

The side flipper ramp does seem harder to make than the tower shot on Jurassic Park. It’s like asking girls out in high school. Usually they’re gonna say no, but the reward for “yes” is pretty sweet.

#6281 27 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

The side flipper ramp does seem harder to make than the tower shot on Jurassic Park. It’s like asking girls out in high school. Usually they’re gonna say no, but the reward for “yes” is pretty sweet.

Wow. Girls actually said yes to you? What's THAT feel like?

#6282 27 days ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Wow. Girls actually said yes to you? What's THAT feel like?

Expensive.

Funny little story: I asked a cute girl if she wanted to go to a sophomore dance with me, and she said “I guess so”. I ran with that as a “yes”. I bought a nice jacket and tie and took her to a place called “The Cork and Cleaver”. On our way to the dance she said she wasn’t feeling well, so I took her home. The next day, I found out she had her friend come pick her up and take her to the dance. Meanwhile I was drinking a bottle of champagne in my room all alone. And that’s the story of how I became an alcoholic. Haha.

#6283 27 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

To avoid sending it in for repair and the time involved, they are sending me a new spotlight wiring harness. He said he's seen this before and if one goes out, they both go out. Pablo said its an easy swap out.
Hayfarmer - bummed to see you bailed on Halloween! I should be getting the call any day now.

I'm not a huge fan of movie but game looked so good. But the topper lights and insert lead me to believe what else are they missing? Light is easy fix but should not of been released that way. Just me, im ocd tho. Would not of been happy. You've got a great # so if you don't like, a super fan will pay up for it. Hope you enjoy it,

#6284 27 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't really care about hitting the center ramp with the upper flipper (there's two perfectly good lower flippers for that), but if anybody has any tips in making the upper flipper ramp any easier I'd love to hear it.
Perfect shots tend to rattle around in there and it's very rare that I can make that shot. It doesn't seem like a very good design, frankly.

That's what I was asking and the response was to bend the prongs down slightly.

#6285 27 days ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I'm not a huge fan of movie but game looked so good. But the topper lights and insert lead me to believe what else are they missing? Light is easy fix but should not of been released that way. Just me, im ocd tho. Would not of been happy. You've got a great # so if you don't like, a super fan will pay up for it. Hope you enjoy it,

They fixed the topper lighting, but the insert....yeah don't know what they can do about it for the playfields that are completed. I'm assuming mine will have that issue. I'll let you know how it plays once I get it. Yeah # 78 could hold a little value to the right fan. If I hate it, I may try to trade it for a GNR LE as I'm more of a rock pin guy anyway.

#6286 27 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I was thinking the same .This is a picture from pinside “machines” section .I don’t see that black flap in there .I’m not at home right now but does it tuck in the back of that hood ?It seems the dead on shots rattle and I see that flap usually .Anyway I’m going to try some spinner juice and rub it around with a Q tip and see what happens .Let me know what you think with that flap .

03B37250-4FEC-45C4-A0FE-12F000DCFC91 (resized).png
#6287 27 days ago

The other thing I was thinking maybe a adjustment to the ball rail to kick it toward the center might work .

#6288 27 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

They fixed the topper lighting, but the insert....yeah don't know what they can do about it for the playfields that are completed. I'm assuming mine will have that issue. I'll let you know how it plays once I get it. Yeah # 78 could hold a little value to the right fan. If I hate it, I may try to trade it for a GNR LE as I'm more of a rock pin guy anyway.

You got lucky to get 78, better # than 666. And I'll bet that dude paid up to get it. Great resale

#6289 27 days ago

I made a little video in post 4250 on adjusting the ramps a bit to make the upper right flipper shot a bit easier to hit/reducing the bounce back.

Page 85

#6290 27 days ago
Quoted from Wmsfan:

I made a little video in post 4250 on adjusting the ramps a bit to make the upper right flipper shot a bit easier to hit/reducing the bounce back.
Page 85

just made both those adjustments and it made a huge difference. hit the ramp 4 out of 5 on the first game whereas prior i'd be lucky to get 1 in 5. thx!

#6291 27 days ago

Hey everyone. I’ve sent out that EM adjustment pdf to everyone who has asked for it (about 10 of you). One person mentioned not receiving it but then finding it in their junk mail, so if you sent me your email and haven’t seen it check there. Hope it helps! Wish Stern had a page on their website where we could download all of these install guides.

#6292 27 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

just made both those adjustments and it made a huge difference. hit the ramp 4 out of 5 on the first game whereas prior i'd be lucky to get 1 in 5. thx!

I just watched the video. Is he referring to bending down the two metal pieces of the metal track or ramp or whatever you call it?

#6293 27 days ago
Quoted from shlt_thunder:

I just watched the video. Is he referring to bending down the two metal pieces of the metal track or ramp or whatever you call it?

yes, the two prongs at the end of the wire form ramp, bend those down slightly.

#6294 27 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

yes, the two prongs at the end of the wire form ramp, bend those down slightly.

Thanks for the clarification. I figured that was the situation but could not tell from the perspective of the video. I might give this a try this weekend. Can't hurt.

#6295 27 days ago

All those things mentioned will help with the side ramp shot. I was the one who came up with bending the prongs and I've done the same thing to the right ramp. But here is one more thing to check. Make sure the metal ball guide lines up exactly withe the edge of the scoop. My rail was pushed back such that the ball would hit the edge of the scoop. I just had to bend the rail inward to get it to line up. Also, frequent cleaning and waxing of this whole area will help and make sure to set your upper flipper power to 255. I tend to think this is a very valuable shot so it shouldn't be too easy. But damn, it is a hard shot most of the time!

20210614_211635 (resized).jpg9bebaf0ecf2790aca3db9095c07a8112c796a249 (resized).png
#6296 25 days ago

Hey all,
I’m a pinball newbie having just purchased my first 2 machines in March but am happy to say I can legitimately join this thread after somehow being able to obtain a NIB LE (not sure how but thankful after an attempt to procure a used one fell through.) I only just set it up yesterday and haven't turned it on but it looks like the manufacture date is January 2021.

That being said, I believe I read all prior posts in this thread and recall someone saying not to upgrade to the new code because you’ll lose certain light show features. Is that still the case? I don't even know how to do so but read its straight forward. Thanks in advance.

B12FBC86-42EA-4CB0-B2FF-E2F65329EB4F (resized).jpeg
#6297 25 days ago

briyau15 Congrats on the LE. I believe anything past 1.02 has the toned down expression light show.

#6298 25 days ago

The Electric Magic light show is still great, it’s just not as seizure-inducing as before. You’ll be missing out on some improvements if you stay on older code. You can check the readme file for the latest code to see what was added or changed.

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/led_zeppelin_1_05_0-README_LE.txt

#6299 25 days ago

Great, thank you both. I’ll look to update the code seeing how I haven’t experienced the light show before so wont know what I’m missing. It will take me years to get there but is there an update on the “?” in the wizard mode, meaning a hidden song or anything?

There’s also no way to add additional songs or stern doesn’t currently have that on their to do list, correct? Probably due to licensing issues.

#6300 25 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

Both of my spotlights went out. Climbed up top to find the right side like this:

IMG_9932 (resized).jpgIMG_9933 (resized).jpg
There are 6542 posts in this topic. You are on page 126 of 131.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside