Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Insert_graph.jpg
    insert_under_IR.jpg
    insert_under_VL.jpg
    playfield_inc_graph.jpg
    playfield_inc_IR.jpg
    playfield_inc_VL.jpg
    Playfield_LED_graph.jpg
    playfield_inserts_led_IR.jpg
    playfield_inserts_led_VL.jpg
    Back_box_INC_vs_LED_graph.jpg
    Back_box_INC_vs_LED_IR.jpg
    Back_box_INC_vs_LED.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky347.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Gotta catch a plane in a couple of hours, but as promised.....

Test subject BK2K-
    All Lamps on for the same amount of time.

Back Box

Half Incandescent #44, 2 - 55W lamps, Half Frosted #44 LED
    All temperatures recorded in Celsius

Back_box_INC_vs_LED.jpgBack_box_INC_vs_LED.jpg Back_box_INC_vs_LED_IR.jpgBack_box_INC_vs_LED_IR.jpg Back_box_INC_vs_LED_graph.jpgBack_box_INC_vs_LED_graph.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Inserts with LED , guide lanes and Pops with #44 incandescent

playfield_inserts_led_VL.jpgplayfield_inserts_led_VL.jpg playfield_inserts_led_IR.jpgplayfield_inserts_led_IR.jpg Playfield_LED_graph.jpgPlayfield_LED_graph.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Playfield inserts #555 all incandescent

playfield_inc_VL.jpgplayfield_inc_VL.jpg playfield_inc_IR.jpgplayfield_inc_IR.jpg playfield_inc_graph.jpgplayfield_inc_graph.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Side by side inserts LED vs INC from under playfield

insert_under_VL.jpginsert_under_VL.jpg insert_under_IR.jpginsert_under_IR.jpg Insert_graph.jpgInsert_graph.jpg

#5 11 years ago

Will post more when I return.

#8 11 years ago

I'm going to LED out my Fire! when I return. I'm going to take some images of the row/column wires, fuses and driver board before and after for comparisson. Should be interesting.

#12 11 years ago

I can post some pics under the LED sticky when I return, going to be awaya from my main rig for awhile.

#13 11 years ago

And Haven't forgotten about you Cliffy, Didn't have the time to play a game so the shots of my driver board and fuse holders weren't very good. I'll take some close ups under load soon.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

The incandescent bulbs in the back box look, scientifically speaking, a bazillion times brighter than the LED's. What happens when you compare two bulbs that are equal candle power or a incandescent bulb vs something brighter like a CT super or something.

You're right. The difference in lumen output of the left side vs. the right side is huge. This is not an apples to apples comparison really as the right side of the box are actually frosted yellow LED's, they are the only loose LED I had in quantities to be able to do a significant portion of the backbox. I did take a shot with several frosted cool whites that I'd pulled out of my LIS, and although the lumen output seemed comparable, the heat signature was still very much the same as what is pictured in the top set of pics. Honestly, I am a bit of an ubergeek when it comes to this kind of stuff, I actually have a trending light output meter that measures LUX, Lumens and foot candles too, so when I get back we can do some much more clinical testing if we want.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from decktard:

If you have the time at some point... and this might be a little bit of work...
    I'd be curious to see how the same backbox GI connector looks with incandescent vs LED... as this is a source of burned pins with so many machines.
    I specifically put LEDs in my backbox to prevent further issues with the connectors on my board. Although... I did 1/2 of each LED and incandescent.
    Edit: I guess you said you were going to do that on your Fire! a few posts up. Thanks!

Can do.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

Cool (no pun intended) pictures! For most home users I don't think incandescent bulbs put enough of a strain on a healthy circuit to do harm, unless you leave them on 12 hours a day. I have a few LED's but I'm not sold on them yet. I like the slower light decay you get from incandescent bulbs, LED's instant on/off seems harsh to my eyes.

Agreed, I think there are games that look better with the twinkle of standard bulbs, hell, all of the lamps in my house are halogen as I don't like the artificial look of LED's compact fluorescent etc. That said, I'm having a rough time finding plastics for a couple of my games, if the trade off for keeping the plastics I've still got healthy and happy for years to come is a harsher looking light, chances are I'll change 'em out.

#26 11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check those out.

I've never personally had plastics damaged, other that warping and yellowing, but ive seen my fair share of burnt bumper caps. Also, after spending a bunch of time knocking back playfield inserts in my f-14, i gotta figure cooler is better.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

Sparky I think you have my old getaway. Confirm or deny?

I bought mine on the Island a couple years back. Beautiful machine.

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

Ah cool. Not mine. The guy I sold mine to had a BK as well as two other machines so I though the chances were decent. I think he was from Langley too.

I think thats my buddy Dave. Great guy, played my Getaway and wanted his own.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from putman:

This is really great. Could you do the PCBs in the backbox? I'd be really interested in seeing where the heat is.
    Thanks!

Next series. That's where these cameras are awesome in ths hobby. Bad solder joints, bad connectors, oberloaded wires, fuses etc. Thry all show up like lightning bolts.

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

No sweat (get it? but really that's what you want to capture. Good fuse clips vs weak ones. Weak ones should show really hot.

For sure. The smoking gun pictures that I want to capture will show the fuse warmer on one side than the other. If the fuse is seated well the current should be the same throughout the length of the fuse. Likewise, looking at rows and columns/strobes etc. finding one wire that glows brighter than the other means that it is usually more heavily loaded than its neighbours but not nescessarily a problem.That same wire that glows more brightly at the termination and cools the further it gets from it, thats a bad connection that if not corrected will end up with a burnt connector or worse.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sparky347.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-vs-incandescent-thermal-imagery?tu=sparky347 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.