(Topic ID: 57978)

LED voltage question...Help please I am an electrical Neanderthal.

By Barrythick

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I am looking to add some additional lighting to some mid 90's BW pins as well as some recent Sterns but have questions regarding voltage. I want to add some traditional spotlights with LED's and some SMD panels similar to this:
    ebay.com link: Red 6 SMD 5050 Car LED Interior Dome Door Panel LED 12V
    I have seen some suggest going directly into 12v source but some LED's are marked as 6.3v, does any of that really matter? If I tie directly into the GI or inserts does it matter what volt the LED's are.
    For example, the SMD panel I linked to is 12v, is that going to work whether I tie into GI, an insert light, flasher etc? I am totally a novice at electrical (may get that by reading this) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 10 years ago
    Quoted from Barrythick:

I have seen some suggest going directly into 12v source but some LED's are marked as 6.3v, does any of that really matter?

Yes voltage does matter. 12v lights running on 6v won't light or be dim. 6v lights running on 12v will usually blow your lights.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-voltage-questionhelp-please-i-am-an-electrical-neanderthal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.