Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3350 (resized).JPG
IMG_3359 (resized).JPG
IMG_2555 (resized).JPG
IMG_2553 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I replaced the playfield and upgraded to an Alltek LED Driver Board. Everything seems to work, except 1 flipper, 2 leaf switches, and all control lights. I'm pleased, since it is my first pinball project, but none of the control lights work now. All regular lights appear to work. I attached the provided jump wire to the board and to a wire per directions (I think). See images. I checked all fuses and replaced one. Any suggestions on troubleshooting? Thanks in advance!

IMG_2553 (resized).JPGIMG_2553 (resized).JPGIMG_2555 (resized).JPGIMG_2555 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago
Quoted from stinkie:

I replaced the playfield and upgraded to an Alltek LED Driver Board. Everything seems to work, except 1 flipper, 2 leaf switches, and all control lights. I'm pleased, since it is my first pinball project, but none of the control lights work now. All regular lights appear to work. I attached the provided jump wire to the board and to a wire per directions (I think). See images. I checked all fuses and replaced one. Any suggestions on troubleshooting? Thanks in advance!
[quoted image][quoted image]

The connection looks to be attached to the correct wire string. You can unplug this wire from the lamp board to test, as the leds will still work without it, they’ll just flicker pretty bad.

However, I’d start by checking the connectors on the lamp board first. If all controlled lamps are out, suspect J4 and/or it’s connection to the mpu.

For the switch, are you testing it in switch mode, and activating it by hand?

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the quick and detailed response! I can't figure out how to put it into switch test mode. I just start a game, then go through and push all switches. Only one switch is not working now, along with one flipper (also the knocker is disconnected while I wait for new part).

All connectors appear to be solidly in place. I noticed a couple of burned pins at rectifier board (see image). Not sure if related. The new fuse I previously replaced (F1) is now blown, so I am now searching for crossed wires on bottom of playfield.

IMG_3350 (resized).JPGIMG_3350 (resized).JPGIMG_3359 (resized).JPGIMG_3359 (resized).JPG
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from stinkie:

Thanks for the quick and detailed response! I can't figure out how to put it into switch test mode. I just start a game, then go through and push all switches. Only one switch is not working now, along with one flipper (also the knocker is disconnected while I wait for new part).

Enter into switch test by opening the coin door. There should be a red button on the backside of it, above the coin mech.

Press it once, and you’re in lamp test-all controlled lamps should flash
Press again, you’re in display test-display digits should cycle
Press again, you’re in solenoid test-coils will cycle one at a time.
Press again, you’re in switch test. The displays will show a number of a switch if it is closed. You’ll need the manual, or the chart in the back box to decipher.
Be aware that the test only shows the lowest number switch that is closed. So you need to clear them out one at a time. If the ball is in the game, it will show that (probably switch 8 ) and you’ll need to take it out.
Once the switch test is showing now numbers in the score displays (there will be a number in the credit one) you can manually activate each switch to see if it works. Raise the pf and adjust switches if necessary, but do that with the power off.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from stinkie:

All connectors appear to be solidly in place. I noticed a couple of burned pins at rectifier board (see image). Not sure if related. The new fuse I previously replaced (F1) is now blown, so I am now searching for crossed wires on bottom of playfield.

Even though a connector is in place, does t mean it’s making good contact. A lot of the time the male & female portions need to be replaced. If they are tarnished and green, it needs to be done. You could also test for continuity to check the pins on the lamp board.

But, since you’re F1 fuse is blowing, you probably have something else going on. Fuse F1 is for the controlled lamps. Start by confirming that bridge rectifier 1 is good. You can use diode test on your dmm. Or, remove connectors J1, J2, J3 from the board, replace the fuse and turn the game on. Check TP1 for around 6 vdc with your dmm.

If the voltage is not there, BR1 is bad. If the correct voltage is there, the problem is later down the line.

If you have a lamp power/ground shorted, it will cause the fuse to blow. Start by checking with your dmm for continuity

#6 5 years ago

Thanks! Since all lights worked well prior to playfield replacement, my first guess is that I erred. So, I will try to find something there. When you say remove J1, J2, J3 from board, you do mean from rectifier board, right?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from stinkie:

Thanks! Since all lights worked well prior to playfield replacement, my first guess is that I erred. So, I will try to find something there. When you say remove J1, J2, J3 from board, you do mean from rectifier board, right?

Yes that was to test for the correct voltage from the rect board, without blowing a fuse again.

To test for shorts on the pf, you can use an alligator clip to hook onto a section of the lamp bus wire (bare wire on the pf), hooked to one end of the dmm. Use the other end to probe lamps on that circuit. Just touch the corresponding ground wire (colored wire) at the socket. In continuity, you should not have a full buzz tone.

#8 5 years ago

djblouw I found it! I had a wire going under a controlled light post. I was looking at before photos, and I saw the wire in a different location and voila! More to come.

#9 5 years ago

Alright! One problem down. Good work.

#10 5 years ago

Now, a new set of issues. Odd - before I fixed the controlled light issue, all of the bumpers and kickers worked as they should, including kicking next ball up. Now, bumpers/kickers do not work. When I turn power on, it may or may not boot-up properly (if that's what you call it). Player 1 score may or may not go on. When I trick it into playing, it had a score for player 2 (3600), and skipped to player 3 from 1. Following are videos of me cycling through test modes.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xiBaofveM5FUbidx5
https://photos.app.goo.gl/y2DUoriYHCjwyzXD9

#11 5 years ago

Seems like two issues, but maybe they’re related??

In the first video, everything seems normal, but it seems like the coils have no power (check the fuse on the rect board and the under pf fuse).

The second video looks odd. Something is shorting. On a whim, check all the switches on the coin door. These can have odd behaviors. An alternate method would be to turnt the game on, enter lamp or display test, then disconnect the coin door harness. Does it go back to normal?

#12 5 years ago

Another test (to narrow down where the issue is at):

Put game in display test, unplug J1 from lamp board. If no change to the blinking, plug back in, and unplug j2. No change, unplug j3.

If any of these mad the issue go away, you probably still have something shorted in the lamp bus/ground

#13 5 years ago

OK, the PF fuse is now blown. It was an AGC 1 1/2 Amp, but I see in manual it should be 250V 1A 3AG slow blow. With F1 out, and PF Fuse out, I ran the tests. It looks more normal I think.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bn9c3FSkKeYJmXJh6

Then I replaced the F1, and there were issues, see video.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YYN3gvLUKTUucY6g9

So I unplugged the door, then plugged it back in. Following video, which I think looks more normal, except Control lamps are not working.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/om1zXpqaX2pWJNyB6

I will go to store and try to find fuses now.

#14 5 years ago

I replaced PF fuse and removed the fuses from the rectifier board and tested - they were all good. Then made sure the fuse holders were all tight, replaced fuses, turned it on, and nearly everything works, even the right flipper. There are some remaining issues, but I will make that a new post, since the issues in this post appear to be resolved. Thanks again @djblouw !

#15 5 years ago

Congrats on getting it going.

#16 5 years ago

I was able to play a few games (blocking left lane), and almost completed a game with my kids when it stopped. I started a new post. It's still a fun project! Thanks again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 22.50
$ 99.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-upgrade-amp-playfield-replaced-now-no-control-lights and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.