Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by lowepg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

LEDs are going to make us all go blind. Rave on!

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

LEDs are going to make us all go blind. Rave on!

Pfft- that what they say about ALL my favorite hobbies

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Maybe my inserts are just filthy then and blocking some light- because I really love the look of the LEDs in my NGG...

I liked the *look* of LEDs in my NGG too, but they were damn bright, so I always had to have plenty of ambient light on when I played, otherwise the strobe effect was overwhelming. That's what I get for putting something other than Noflix Plus LEDs in a pin!

#54 10 years ago

Great discussion. Really appreciate all the insights and suggestions. I, maybe correctly or maybe not, assumed that my problems with LEDs were age related and that my Medicare eligible eyes weren't able adjust as quickly as a younger players. I do suffer eye fatigue at shows when playing the totally LED equipped games. I may try LEDS on my No Fear playfield inserts and report back.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I liked the *look* of LEDs in my NGG too, but they were damn bright, so I always had to have plenty of ambient light on when I played, otherwise the strobe effect was overwhelming. That's what I get for putting something other than Noflix Plus LEDs in a pin!

spot...lights

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, I've got white inserts on my Shadow and I don't see a thing. Maybe I'm just lucky. I see DLP rainbows though.

Shadow doesn't have white inserts that are as large.

Quoted from lowepg:

Maybe my inserts are just filthy then and blocking some light- because I really love the look of the LEDs in my NGG...

Yeah, same here. I replaced the whites in mine though, just too bright and in your face. Once I added 4 spotlights the contrast ratio was way better and less blinding

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Strobing is completely diff'rent in my experience from ghosting or flickering. I feel like it's a low percentage of people that suffer from it, like the rainbow DLP effect.

Strobing is without a doubt a physiological response that some people have to LEDs. It's never bothered me, no matter what LEDs are used, so I'm clearly immune to it. If you are susceptible to it, however, it can be a real bitch. The only two solutions I can think of to help alleviate the problem ared the Noflix+ LEDs, and herg's LED OCD controller. Unfortunately, neither is an inexpensive solution. As someone who has used herg's controller, I definitely give it a thumbs up. I installed one in my Avatar, and absolutely loved it.

#58 10 years ago

If the spot lights are LEDs they can actually make the strobe effect *worse* because they are shining directly on the ball.

#59 10 years ago

As well as making large areas of the playfield strobe, not just inserts.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If the spot lights are LEDs they can actually make the strobe effect *worse* because they are shining directly on the ball.

Then put an incandescent in the spots And on some games where the GI flashes as well then wire to coin door to keep the spotlights constantly on.

#61 10 years ago

I came across this thread just in time. I was going to completely convert T2 but now I think I'll do like I did STTNG and just do the inserts and not the GI.

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from TZCLOCKed:

I was going to completely convert T2 but now I think I'll do like I did STTNG and just do the inserts and not the GI.

That's the way i like to do it now. It's not overly bright, cheaper, and I love the insert pop with LEDs in most cases. Not all mind you, case by case.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from TZCLOCKed:

I came across this thread just in time. I was going to completely convert T2 but now I think I'll do like I did STTNG and just do the inserts and not the GI.

Didn't the op mention above that he did the inserts and hadn't done the GI yet though?

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I was meaning to ask you because we both bought our LEDs around the same time for this game. Are you using warm white or cool white in the clear inserts?

I love the look too, it's just a little difficult to play at the moment. I'm going to test out some lower powered LEDs in the clear inserts and near the bottom this weekend. Maybe change that big clear one on the left to purple or something. Then fill in the GI and see how it goes. I'm really hoping I get it to where I like it from a gameplay standpoint because this table was made for the LED look.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, I've got white inserts on my Shadow and I don't see a thing. Maybe I'm just lucky. I see DLP rainbows though.

Finally

I would see smears everywhere when walking through Best Buy back in the DLP hey day

#66 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I was meaning to ask you because we both bought our LEDs around the same time for this game. Are you using warm white or cool white in the clear inserts?
I love the look too, it's just a little difficult to play at the moment. I'm going to test out some lower powered LEDs in the clear inserts and near the bottom this weekend. Maybe change that big clear one on the left to purple or something. Then fill in the GI and see how it goes. I'm really hoping I get it to where I like it from a gameplay standpoint because this table was made for the LED look.

I used cool whites, yellows, oranges and reds.

I also used a few blues for under the ramps,and greens for the back grass.

Lastly I played with a few completely different colors than stock for a few places:
Green for drive and putt out and jackpot I think....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-under-inserts-makes-me-feel-like-im-at-a-rave/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.