Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 66 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by lowepg
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Recently purchased LEDs for my No Good Gofers after testing out a few here and there. I went with Cointaker Premium Supers for the inserts. Everything looks great when the machine is on. I love the pop of them and it gives the machine new light (and doesn't make it look so old next to AC/DC). But when I started playing, the ball was strobing and difficult to keep track of. My eyes needed a minute or two to adjust. I swapped out a few of the whites for the frosted and still had the problem

I've searched around but haven't really seen any good solutions to this. Am I just someone who is bothered by the strobing and unlikely to enjoy LEDs? Would a different LED work instead (less bright?). Mind you I've only done the inserts so far, and I am using the cool white ones in the clear inserts. Little disappointed because the machine looks amazing so far after the change, but is annoying to play.

Anyone with thoughts on this or maybe a solution I'm not able to find elsewhere?

#2 10 years ago

Your insert LEDs are strobing? That can happen with the GI (fixable) but never seen it with inserts.

#3 10 years ago

Apparently it doesn't bother some people, but you're definitely not the only one. Check out the LED OCD controller thread for discussions about it and a potential solution: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list

#4 10 years ago

What bulbs are you using for the GI?

#5 10 years ago

Double stacked cointaker disco biscuits will do that to you man.

Are you wearing a visor when playing?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Your insert LEDs are strobing? That can happen with the GI (fixable) but never seen it with inserts.

How is GI fixable? Every time I ask someone about it they say it would be too complex to implement a smoothing solution.

#7 10 years ago

That's why I stay away from LEDS. Just recently I've started using Terry's cheapos just for the simple fact that I got sick of firing up pinrow..and always have a bulb or 2 out.

My first pin with LEDs was a WPT I bought that was already done. I felts snow blind after every game

Terry's aren't nearly as bright as the CT supers. Unfortunately they still have the LED 'look' to them but aren't blinding

#8 10 years ago

There is a product out there that may help... although its expensive on a per bulb basis

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/english/product-informations/noflix-advantages/

I would say try non ghosting bulbs, but Looks like you already have them...

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What bulbs are you using for the GI?

Just incandescents at the moment. Was going to put in frosted ones from CT but after testing out the inserts, I'm thinking of pulling the plug on the LED experiment.

#10 10 years ago

I think he's referring to effect that GI LEDs have on the ball. It makes the ball look like it's passing by a strobe light. You in effect see a line of balls, similar to when you have mouse trails enabled on a computer.

Hope that makes sense.

I experience it on the pins I have LEDs installed in the GI.

You kind of get used to it after a while.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

How is GI fixable? Every time I ask someone about it they say it would be too complex to implement a smoothing solution.

To do it the way I'd like, it's not too complex, but it results in a lot of big parts due to the amount of current involved. I have a first prototype that I'm messing around with. I'm not sure if it will be practical, though.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

I think he's referring to effect that GI LEDs have on the ball. It makes the ball look like it's passing by a strobe light. You in effect see a line of balls, similar to when you have mouse trails enabled on a computer.
Hope that makes sense.

I got that a lot too so I went with colored incandescent's for my GI & LED's for inserts.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

To do it the way I'd like, it's not too complex, but it results in a lot of big parts due to the amount of current involved. I have a first prototype that I'm messing around with. I'm not sure if it will be practical, though.

You have my attention and support.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

Hope that makes sense.

I actually haven't touched the GI yet which is weird. Maybe my description of it is bad, it just feels like I miss parts of the ball when I'm playing. Like playing under a strobe light. Maybe this can be caused by the lights being too bright? I had considered using something milder on the lower inserts (although not sure what is a step down from supers).

#15 10 years ago

I had to return my Cointaker NGG kit. Just too damn bright. Really bothered me (CT couldn't have been nicer about it too).

Trying some Pinball Life samples right now. Cool frosted look good but give a blue tint. Try some of there sample packs.

#16 10 years ago

CT Premium Supers in the inserts? No wonder you can't see the ball, it's probably bright as hell..

I like the pinball life basic bulbs for the inserts, way less intense. CT's only go in very special inserts.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I actually haven't touched the GI yet which is weird. Maybe my description of it is bad, it just feels like I miss parts of the ball when I'm playing. Like playing under a strobe light. Maybe this can be caused by the lights being too bright? I had considered using something milder on the lower inserts (although not sure what is a step down from supers).

They definitely do strobe under inserts. I see it worse than GI, and it's worse in Williams/Bally games than Stern.

#18 10 years ago

Yeah, I learned that the hard way.

Which PBL bulbs are you using in inserts? And are you making sure to get the non-ghosting ones? And is there a CT equivalent? They were real helpful when I ordered. I love the idea and look of LEDs, I just need to tone it down a bit on the inserts, particularly near the bottom (and in the clear inserts).

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

They definitely do strobe under inserts. I see it worse than GI, and it's worse in Williams/Bally games than Stern.

Do you think I'll always see a strobe no matter what LEDs I use? I guess I'm torn on whether I should keep throwing money at this and seeing if I can figure out a solution or just saying screw it and going back to the incandescents.

#20 10 years ago

I haven't personally found an LED that completely gets rid of it, but I'm probably not the best person to ask. I have never tried the NoFlix Plus bulbs, and from what I hear, they may be your best bet. The LED OCD thread linked above is my solution, so my opinion is a bit biased.

#21 10 years ago

I saw your thing the other day when I was researching but noticed you were out of them. I'd definitely pick a few up if they work. I love the LED look.

#22 10 years ago

I wouldn't use them and sell them if they didn't work, but again, my opinion is biased.

Yes, they're out of stock, and until I have a few more preorders, I have no immediate plans to make more.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If you are using rectified (nonpolarized) LEDs for GI, that explains why. Rectified LEDs flicker twice as fast, making the strobe effect less noticeable.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

If you are using rectified (nonpolarized) LEDs for GI, that explains why. Rectified LEDs flicker twice as fast, making the strobe effect less noticeable.

Agreed, but there sure are a lot of complaints about flickering GI, including your own. The majority of LEDs being used these days are rectified, yet that's apparently not enough to avoid the problem for some people.

#25 10 years ago

Well I've gotten used to it, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Incandescents under the inserts help wash out the effect as well. I would get your board and LED everything all day long, but the cost of doing that (about $200) cannot be justified for improving a non-functional aspect of a route game. Bulbs burn out, maybe 2 or 3 a month. Those are $0.10 each...

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Huh?

The LED acts the same whether it is under an insert or used in the GI. The strobe effect is the same. In fact, the strobe effect can be more pronounced with LEDs under inserts because those are usually the ones that you are looking at when following the ball.

We are not talking about the dimming effect here, which is something different.

I'm sensitive to it, which is why I usually use the NoFlix plus LEDs in my pins.

#27 10 years ago

With the LED OCD board the lights aren't instant on/off so the strobing effect seemed to disappear. I'm also sensitive to it, but had no issues playing on Herg's machines so would recommend giving it a try if he makes more. Note ghosting is when an LED remains on when it should be off so really is a different issue the NoFlix bulbs are addressing.

#28 10 years ago

Rob. GI is AC and controlled lamps are DC. Without rectifiing the LEDs will strobe at 60hz on AC.

I like some LEDs but you can go way overboard with it quickly. I really dislike LEDs in the GI as well.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Well I've gotten used to it, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things. Incandescents under the inserts help wash out the effect as well. I would get your board and LED everything all day long, but the cost of doing that (about $200) cannot be justified for improving a non-functional aspect of a route game. Bulbs burn out, maybe 2 or 3 a month. Those are $0.10 each...

I bet you also don't put mirror blades or Invisiglass in your routed pins. Completely different goals.

Quoted from RobT:

Huh?
The LED acts the same whether it is under an insert or used in the GI. The strobe effect is the same. In fact, the strobe effect can be more pronounced with LEDs under inserts because those are usually the ones that you are looking at when following the ball.
I'm sensitive to it, which is why I usually use the NoFlix plus LEDs in my pins.

The LED acts the same, but the power driving it is completely different. 60 Hz AC for GI, DC lamp matrix switched at 62.5 Hz (in W/B pins) for inserts.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I bet you also don't put mirror blades or Invisiglass in your routed pins. Completely different goals.

The LED acts the same, but the power driving it is completely different. 60 Hz AC for GI, DC lamp matrix switched at 62.5 Hz (in W/B pins) for inserts.

Which is why non-polarized LEDs do not reduce strobing when used in the lamp matrix.

#31 10 years ago

Would using a less bright LED help on this? The supers feel like a bad choice for the inserts, particularly down near the flippers. I'm wondering if something with less punch might do the trick. Also, what is the next step down from supers?

One final stupid question, is there a way to mimic cool white with incandescents? The one thing I do like about LEDs is they get rid of that yellow hue.

#32 10 years ago

Not really. If you're talking about CT LEDs, I'd say Frosted are the next step down. In my opinion, they are close to the right brightness for most inserts, but they don't help with flicker.

There's no way that I'm aware of to make incandescents look less yellow/more blue.

#33 10 years ago

I think the CT retro bulbs look good under inserts. However, I have never seen a white or clear insert that looks good with an led under it.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

The one thing I do like about LEDs is they get rid of that yellow hue.

I see you have a TZ . If you do an LED conversion on TZ insert ghosting is pretty bad on TZ. Yes the non ghosting CT are brighter than there normal super bright. As far as Pinball life basic LED they are good in clear plastic inserts. But overall not much difference in intensity over incandescent bulb. Hopefully you will get use to the LEDs in your NGG. I think you will!!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Do you think I'll always see a strobe no matter what LEDs I use?.

I do. Strobing is completely diff'rent in my experience from ghosting or flickering. I feel like it's a low percentage of people that suffer from it, like the rainbow DLP effect.

EDIT: Shocker I'm not a Doctor Just from what I've heard people saying for a few years.

Quoted from RobKnapp:

I see you have a TZ . If you do an LED conversion on TZ insert ghosting is pretty bad on TZ.

Things like this are diff'rent for everyone. My TZ has been LED'd for years and I've never seen any ghosting.

#36 10 years ago

Now I know why I like them. "WELCOME TO THE RAVE!" Doot, Doot, Doot, Doot da doot,....

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Things like this are diff'rent for everyone. My TZ has been LED'd for years and I've never seen any ghosting.

I was an Eagle scout " Always be prepared ". I do find that interesting Thelaw. I think you got lucky.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

I was an Eagle scout " Always be prepared ". I do find that interesting Thelaw. I think you got lucky.

Could be...I have no idea. I've got a few diff'rent bulbs of different types and never noticed it in my TZ, under inserts that is, above of course it can be a problem.

Also could be our eyesite...mine might be worse and i don't notice it

#39 10 years ago

On 9.4H, TZ should be mostly ghost-free due to the updated code. L-2 could definitely have ghosting issues, though.

#40 10 years ago

I'm not running anything in the 9. area.

#42 10 years ago

1. I didn't think NGG ghosts so premiums aren't totally needed
2. Go to the settings and turn off "allow dim illumination"
3. Add spot lights shining down on playfield. NGG is a bit of a dark game so spots will help adust contrast ratio and reduce the strobing for your eyes
4. Don't use cool whites in those white inserts. They are such large inserts it is simply too bright. TRy a color or maybe warm white. Also, user frosted not supers in those

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

1. I didn't think NGG ghosts so premiums aren't totally needed
2. Go to the settings and turn off "allow dim illumination"
3. Add spot lights shining down on playfield. NGG is a bit of a dark game so spots will help adust contrast ratio and reduce the strobing for your eyes
4. Don't use cool whites in those white inserts. They are such large inserts it is simply too bright. TRy a color or maybe warm white. Also, user frosted not supers in those

Thanks, I turned off "allow dim illumination" and still had the problem. I haven't added LEDs to the GI or spotlights yet, so maybe that will help. It is really dark contrasting with the bright inserts.

I'll also drop the cool whites and maybe try frosteds throughout. I really do love the look of NGG with LEDs, it is a machine that has the color to handle it. I'm leaving the TZ with incadescents because I like the look of it already, although I might slip in an LED or two in areas that are a pain in the butt to swap out. That machine does get awfully warm afterawhile and I already has an issue with a plastic getting bent.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I haven't personally found an LED that completely gets rid of it, but I'm probably not the best person to ask. I have never tried the NoFlix Plus bulbs, and from what I hear, they may be your best bet. The LED OCD thread linked above is my solution, so my opinion is a bit biased.

Ihave tried them, and yes they do strobe! Maybee you are as me, i am verry sensitive with mine eyes... The reason mine FGY has not leds, How shamefull though in mine oppinion.. Coulars are much nicer with leds, but i cant find leds that doesent strobe for me.. So i keep up with bulbs.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Thanks, I turned off "allow dim illumination" and still had the problem. I haven't added LEDs to the GI or spotlights yet, so maybe that will help. It is really dark contrasting with the bright inserts.
I'll also drop the cool whites and maybe try frosteds throughout. I really do love the look of NGG with LEDs, it is a machine that has the color to handle it. I'm leaving the TZ with incadescents because I like the look of it already, although I might slip in an LED or two in areas that are a pain in the butt to swap out. That machine does get awfully warm afterawhile and I already has an issue with a plastic getting bent.

Nice man. Yeah without doing GI and spots the PF can be excessively bright.

P.s- TZ, if done proper, is badass with LEDS. I'll get a pic of markmon's with some extra strips added. So bright without being blinding.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Ah, that's what I was talking about, I guess I'm utterly insensitive to the other effect, because I don't see it at all with the LEDs in my inserts.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ah, that's what I was talking about, I guess I'm utterly insensitive to the other effect, because I don't see it at all with the LEDs in my inserts.

Partly because it can be game by game. NGG has larger white inserts in spots and with a bright white bulb under there it is just blinding at times. Other games with smaller or thicker colored inserts it doesnt matter as much since the LED doesn't shine through as much

#48 10 years ago

Looking @ led OCD... but man that looks like it fixes all mine problems!
Especialy i can tune the brightnes of each individual led! The Camper leds where to bright, but with this OCD, i can adjust them, how sweet is that!

Man i got the have this thing !

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Partly because it can be game by game. NGG has larger white inserts in spots and with a bright white bulb under there it is just blinding at times. Other games with smaller or thicker colored inserts it doesnt matter as much since the LED doesn't shine through as much

Maybe my inserts are just filthy then and blocking some light- because I really love the look of the LEDs in my NGG...

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

I dunno, I've got white inserts on my Shadow and I don't see a thing. Maybe I'm just lucky. I see DLP rainbows though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
4,800 (OBO)
5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-under-inserts-makes-me-feel-like-im-at-a-rave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.