(Topic ID: 33281)

LED Tube replacement for Stern Florescent Backbox light...

By SideTrackTap

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I was just browsing the Marco website and saw they have a LED Tube that replaces the Florescent bulb in Sterns backbox.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/05-LED-F18T8CW

This is new to me, and I did a quick search on the forum here, didn't see anything.

Has anyone tried these? Any difference?

Chris

#2 11 years ago

I know these have been around for a bit, but I haven't heard anything about them firsthand. I was also wondering how well they would spread the light since it is still coming exclusively from the center of the backbox, just like the standard bulb.

#3 11 years ago

Novel idea but at close to $50 a tube I will never find out!

#4 11 years ago

But way cheaper than PDI or Invisiglass which is also an accessory that is not necessary. The LED replacement is better for the environment, too.

#5 11 years ago

High protein has one in his LOTR s and it looks really nice . Try pm him to post a pic

#6 11 years ago

You can get them for much less on eBay:

www.ebay.com/itm/261104075939

www.ebay.com/itm/121036962039

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

But way cheaper than PDI or Invisiglass which is also an accessory that is not necessary. The LED replacement is better for the environment, too.

....I will never buy those either but have played without any glass.
    Hilbilly-invisiglass. You see a lot in cars & trucks too!

Deep fried spotted owl is good for the environment and tastes like chicken.

#8 11 years ago

Marco's pricing is ridiculous - again.

If your tube and ballast fail, the incremental cost to switch to LED is not that much. And you do save energy if you remove the ballast, though removal isn't necessary if you get an inductive ballast-compatible tube like the one Bojo linked to. Once the ballast dies you would need to remove it and rewire.

Typically the light output is a little less on a LED tube as well as the beam spread being different. Some folks may not like it. But cost isn't a reason not to do it, especially if your backbox is dark.

And I wouldn't be surprised if "LED backbox lighting" became s feature of future Stern LEs.

viperrwk

#9 11 years ago

Any of the big box stores stock a "regular" replacement tube ???

#10 11 years ago

I put one in a Stern Batman The Dark Knight and the difference was pretty amazing. Colors really popped out of the translight and the light spread was very even. I was pretty damn happy with it.

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

Any of the big box stores stock a "regular" replacement tube ???

Standard tube and ballast are available at Home Cheapo. 2ft 20w tube.

viperrwk

#12 11 years ago

we put the Marco one in cool white in Tron 2d and looks fantastic. No ballast, less heat, a bit brighter than factory, nice spread. Would put these in any future pins we own ... very nice. It came from Marco packed very well too...

#13 11 years ago

I love these and will always install them in my Sterns. I get them from ebay. I face the tube backwards so the led's shine towards the circuit boards, looks great.

4 years later
    #14 6 years ago

Sorry to bump an old thread but has anyone found a current cheaper source for these? Big box stores or an eBay store for LED replacements?

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

Sorry to bump an old thread but has anyone found a current cheaper source for these? Big box stores or an eBay store for LED replacements?

EBay or any lighting place

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

ebay.com link: G13 LED Tube Light Lamp Bulb T8 2 Foot Feet 2FT 24 Inch 10W Daylight Cool White

Looks like you just unplug the starter from the Stern machine since it doesn't use ballast (and it will damage this).

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-tube-replacement-for-stern-florescent-backbox-light and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.