5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Propaganda
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Am I alone in thinking the LED craze is to much? I see so many game for sale that list out full LEDs. I honestly don't like them to be blanketed in a game. It's just overpowering and hurts my eyes after a game or two.

Not to seem like a snob but it really seems like a lot of newbies do this to every game they buy. Then they want to flip the game before they even play it very long. I like to use them in select spots but not the entire game.

Chris Kruger

#2 5 years ago

I agree with you. LED's get overdone for the most part. It is the easiest mod a newbie can make so they overdo it. To me it takes away from the value of an older game unless it's tastefully done and it seldom is. The exception is newer Sterns that have LED's designed in as new and have color changes that are part of the software. Star Trek LE is an amazing light show.

#3 5 years ago

You are not alone, I am however on the LED side. I have added LEDs to a few WPC games, and you can see the ball a lot better on the playfield. I will say....I like to play the machines when the room is dimmed or overhead light is completely dark....my 2 cents.

#4 5 years ago

LEDs are great! Unfortunetly, many people dont know the line between classy and tacky

#5 5 years ago

So it's okay for Stern to use them in every bulb socket but not us? How can replacing a bunch of old, outdated, inefficient bulbs with new brighter, cleaner, cooler LED's ever be a bad thing?

#6 5 years ago

I agree that they can be tacky if overdone...but I try to LED all my machines, especially Sega/Data East games because the GIs are impossible to get to w/out taking the playfield apart...less service down the road.

Plus they really do brighten up a pin & if done right, I think they look good...but everyone has their own tastes.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from sed6:

So it's okay for Stern to use them in every bulb socket but not us? How can replacing a bunch of old, outdated, inefficient bulbs with new brighter, cleaner, cooler LED's ever be a bad thing?

Because their placement was specifically designed to be put in a particular spot. Or their plastics might be darker and allow for more light to be projected out the sides vs bleeding through.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Because their placement was specifically designed to be put in a particular spot. Or their plastics might be darker and allow for more light to be projected out the sides vs bleeding through.

Thats one very good point.

Because of this, we have, (and will be releasing more in a few weeks), 12 brightness levels of bulbs.
    One brightness everywhere can be OK, but in some games, more is needed in dark areas, and less is needed in others, hence the OPs post, and the one above.
    Of course, after this is done to one persons taste, the next person may not see the same game the same way.
    20 year old eyes, vs 55 year old eyes, ambient lighting, etc...
    Many of the emails I get are from people changing just the GI out, on an LED game, they have bought...
    They are fine with the inserts, and OK with the Backbox, but the GI lighting, Hergs Board, much of the discussion,
    is about GI. Knowing, by trying, whether your yes are better with Incandescent, all frosted, or the 2 SMD in a New Stern, is all personal, and an easy fix to ones taste.
    I find that this discussion is among the top when discussing LEDs....

Is this what is bothering you Joe? The General Illumination?

art

#9 5 years ago

I'm not into the LED's for the pretty colors. I use them for the function, they burn out less so I have to be "under the hood" less messing with them.

Steve

#10 5 years ago

Aren't LEDs better for solder connections and the electronics as well? At least, that's what seems to be a popular opinion.

Agree though, tastefully done, they really do beautify a machine and help colors pop more.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from joemamma:

Not to seem like a snob but it really seems like a lot of newbies do this to every game they buy. Then they want to flip the game before they even play it very long. I like to use them in select spots but not the entire game.

Seems your issue is with the newb flipper then, they are just a few bulbs, what does it take 10 minutes to swap them out to your liking?

#12 5 years ago

LED's are like a box o chocolates... there is a flavor for everyone.

If you don't like them the best advice I can give is- don't use them.

If you buy a game that has a full LED conversion and don't like them...

... then I personally would view this as a nice little bonus. Spend 30 mins changing them all back to those nice old glow bulbs that heat up... and sell you pile of 150 LEDs for 20 cents a piece (a great deal- they would sell instantly) and pocket the 25 your new pinball machine just spotted you- buy it lunch and eat it when the machine is not looking.

Win- Win

As for the rest of us who throw LEDs everywhere with reckless abandon and ruin our very own pinball machines- well I guess its all about how much lipstick you like.

Idea-
    We could start a thread about blondes and brunettes...

In fact this one works well... Insert BLONDE for LED, and Brunette for Glow Bulb... there ya go!

#13 5 years ago

LED discussion thread number 2,416

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from joemamma:

Am I alone in thinking the LED craze is to much?

I think so. I haven't read 2,416 other threads aboot it

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from sed6:

Because LED OCD is not available in Europe and on games that heavily use dimming effects like CV LEDs will ruin the atmosphere completely. I actually like LEDs for Inserts but had to change some pins back to traditional lighting due to this effect.

As long as you use rather dark LEDs they're also ok for GI, but it takes a lot of trail and error to find the right LED for the right spot. Otherwise you'll end up with a pin that has the same lighting as a Thai supermarket, Star Trek being the best example for this. Floodlight in a deep space themed pin? Really? Love ST, but the completely overdone GI is a disaster.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from someoneelse:

Floodlight in a deep space themed pin? Really? Love ST, but the completely overdone GI is a disaster.

Agreed.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from sed6:

So it's okay for Stern to use them in every bulb socket but not us?

Most LED complaints are about brightness, and to lesser extent about strobing. Partially the difference is that Stern tends to use LEDs that are less bright than most consumers use, the 2-LED brightness (2x incandescent) while consumers tend to start with super-smd style (2.5x brighter than incandescent), then if someone forgets to tone it down or use frosted domes when bulbs are in direct eye-sight it causes the complaints we commonly see, and I will include Stern in this category.

If I replace an incandescent, I always start with 1-LED brightness and work up only when it makes sense for that individual bulb location.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    £ 58.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 26.95
    $ 19.95
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 9.95
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 74.00
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Hardware
    Filament Printing
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 34.50
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside