(Topic ID: 66797)

LED Strobing in Slow Motion (updated with LED OCD board results)

By altan

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by altan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-246.jpg
thats terrible.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoJoBear.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 10 years ago

The GI circuit runs 6.3 volts AC at 60 HZ, so any LED bulbs in the GI circuit at full brightness will spend 1/120th of a second illuminated and 1/120th of a second turned-off. It is similar for all other circuits that use lamps because they were all intended to use incandescent bulbs (and thus use alternating current).

The frequency of the AC circuit is causing your flickering because your LED bulbs are most likely nothing more than an LED with a 47 ohm resistor in-series inside the casing. This problem can only truly be solved by using a bridge rectifier and a smoothing capacitor to convert the AC current to DC current, but this can be a bit of a bear to deal with for someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

However, there are sellers that sell LED bulbs with a small capacitor that helps relieve bulb flickering. Shoot some emails to Cointaker.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

This is only true if the LED bulbs are "DC" or non-rectified. Nearly all LED bulbs sold today other than the really cheap ones are rectified, so they will light in both "directions".

I was assuming he was using the cheap ones you speak of.

Quoted from herg:

Altan's video shows flickering of controlled lamps, not GI. Controlled lamps are powered by DC that is turned on/off due to being in a matrix configuration.

Sorry, I should have payed more attention to the posting. But in the case of the matrix, it's oscillation can still be smoothed with a capacitor.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

The time between column strobes (ie, from the end of COL1 to the start of the next COL1) in a WPC machine is 14 ms.

I didn't realize it was that slow. I did a similar project on the black translite sockets and assumed that the frequency was at least somewhat close about all the lighting circuits (the manual can be a bit ambiguous). For my project I ended up rectifying the GI current and using a 2200 uF smoothing capacitor behind each socket.

So you're right in that caps would have to be soldered in below the base.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Corona, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 132.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 1,059.00
$ 22.50
$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JoJoBear.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-strobing-in-slow-motion?tu=JoJoBear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.