Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ozuba
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loppydog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hi guys, I just got an opportunity to test out LED's for the first time. I placed a few in a couple locations on my Nascar. The color is really nice! But.....the damn things look like a strobe light! I have them in the matrix and they are non ghosting. I tried to take a video of it, but surprisingly it did not show up in the video. From what I understand this is not the same as "ghosting" correct? It is not bad at all if the lamp is either on or off, but it is terrible when the lamp is dimming or brightening.

Is this just how LED's are? If so I don't know how anyone could look at that! I really want to install a full kit, but I would definitely not if they strobe like this! Thanks for the input.

#5 10 years ago

Thanks herg, its hard to tell from the video. I think if you look at the purple "ZO" on the left side, that looks most like what I am seeing(at the 30 second mark). It is flashing rather than pulsating.

dar8dar, that looks nice! I was planning on going a little more subtle with more in the yellow/orange tones to match the play field. So you have no issues with flashing LED's in the inserts? I may just upload the video anyway even though it doesn't really translate.

#6 10 years ago

herg I went and took a look at your product. Pretty impressive to say the least with all the control you have with each lamp. What I gathered from some of the instructions, is that you are better off using standard LED's rather than non-ghosting. Is this correct?

Here is my video. It is almost impossible to see it and I am not sure why. But if you look closely, you will see flashing blue reflection. That reflection resembles the flashing of the bulb.

#8 10 years ago

This is all really good info. I just need to get my hands on some 44 led's to test in the GI. I have heard way too many people say that strobe as well. I found the thread that pretty much answers all the questions I already asked..lol

One more question. I know the lamps behind the coin doors are not on the matrix. Are they the same circuity as the GI(AC)? If so, I could test the 555 LED's I already have to see if they strobe behind the coin door.

#11 10 years ago

Ok, thanks guys for all the really helpful info. I was just playing with some led's in the coins slots and behind the start button. Both of those Scenarios look great! Like you guys said I do not see any kind of strobing there. Maybe the next step is to get a hold of a handful of GI (maybe frosted) led's and play with them in there. I am already convinced that the LED OCD will make my inserts more than acceptable, but now I just need to make sure I am not unhappy with the GI. Leaving them incandescent is not really an option I like....I really wanna see all LED's in this beast!

#13 10 years ago

You were using frosted and still getting blinded?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider loppydog.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-strobe-question?tu=loppydog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.