• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Stal8080
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern_connection.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I don't have a Whitestar game, but does it have a 3 pin plug by the coin door for a dollar bill validator? Easiest thing to do would be just add a connector and hook it up there to get your 12V. That's where all the pre-made kits plug in.
Also those cheap little plastic solderless connectors are the devil. I would recommend just soldering strips together rather than dealing with those little nightmares.

Quoted from dung:

If you don't need it tied into the gi just steal power from the coin door. I've done it on several games in the past. Problem is the adhesive tends to come loose and the strips fall down too often.

I'd like to know where this +12v dc is on the coin door? I know there is high power ac there for a bill acceptor (which will fry a LED strip hooked to it I would imagine).

On X-Files there should be +12v and +5v on an unused 3 hole connection near the service outlet (inside the cabinet just below the right flipper button). This harness, which was in every Sega / Stern for year (including X-Files) was originally intended to power a printer or a printer interface board that could be connected to print out audits from the game. It was labeled as "FOR THE PRINTER SUB-ASSEMBLY" in the game manuals. I'm really surprised Stern kept it in the games as long as they did. With every new game release I expected it to be gone. The new SPIKE System games do not have this connection.

On the connector, the top hole (near the point in the plastic connector) is the ground and the bottom hole is the +12v.

Stern_connection.jpgStern_connection.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dugfreez.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-strips-under-cabinet?tu=dugfreez and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.