Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150816_171929.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Talking Stern fluorescent bulb replacement with led strip (like that from big box store roll self adhesive) . Anyone done this as I am looking to try something different than the led tube as they can be pricey. Mounting them maybe the tough part?
    Let me know
    Thanks

#2 8 years ago

I'm trying out a similar idea as you on my LOTR, using 1/4 luan board and adhering led strips to it, spacing them about every 4 inches. I would affix the luan board with hinges to the back box, just like any good game would. Im hoping to add LED flashers in parallel to a few on the playfield to make the game more like the classics of the 90's. If you want the leds to stay on constantly, I believe there is a 12V DC tap somewhere (I've not checked yet). I want them controlled with the GI. I am planning on converting 6 v ac from the GI to 12V DC for the led strips. There also is a guy in Australia selling 6 Volt led strips, just tie them into the GI circuit. Hope it helps. Pics to follow in the distant future. Good luck.

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply and I look forward to seeing this.

#5 8 years ago

That's a 3 year old post - I see 24" LED tubes on Amazon for cheap these days? Couldn't you just pull the starter / ballast, reroute 110v directly to the tombstones, and swap the bulb with an LED?

That's my plan simply to kill the buzzing of the ballast.

#6 8 years ago

Hey chad
    I put led strips under my fireball and I am an electrician by trade so I interrupted my 110 volt feed after the switch and put in an outlet. I bought a strip of plug in leds in red and installed with the screw hardware provided. Added a hole under the cabinet and plugged it in and it goes in with the game. Total 19.99
    Hope that helps
    Chris20150816_171929.jpg20150816_171929.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Holy evolving technology Batman!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NW6KG2Q

And the install of those is here..

http://www.myledlightingguide.com/LEDTubeInstallationGuide.pdf

Time to do some retrofitting some of my old arcades and stop yellowing/heating up marquees!!

#8 8 years ago

Thanks guys this looks good and not too pricey!

#9 8 years ago

Those are awesome you should use those

#10 8 years ago

Please report back. I'll be curious to know how the light spread from those lights compares. The nice things about the poster board covered with LED strips is even lighting across the entire backglass (as opposed to the bright spot in the middle where the tube is.)

#11 8 years ago

I've put those types in to replace 4' flourescent fixtures if they are frosted diffusers it will work terrific! Good luck

#12 8 years ago

I will be at my friends house this weekend and see what route he wants to go and have pictures and report back.
    Thanks again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-strip-in-back-box-stern and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.