(Topic ID: 225585)

LED selection help

By woodmedic

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AE197AC2-E5CC-48E8-8135-29BA095EF1CE (resized).jpeg
    6CFFDCC5-3847-4639-A402-DEC1D5450DE9 (resized).jpeg
    DDD6ADEC-AA7E-459B-8568-5372317CC600 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from woodmedic:

I am going to use the frosted Comet 2SMD bulbs in the GI on both of these games. I have not decided between the cool white or the sunlight yet.

I use sunlight for playfield GI, and cool/natural white for the backbox, especially when the translite is a little yellowed (the cool white helps offset the yellowing).

For inserts, I usually do 1SMD for the smaller inserts, 2SMD for slightly larger, and 4SMD for largest. No lens. Sometimes I'll use flex head bulbs for certain situations.

I color match red, blue, green, and purple. Clear, orange, and yellow get natural white.

For flashers, I generally use 5 SMD for bulbs that are directly visible and 8 SMD for bulbs that are hidden under plastics/ramps/etc. Sometimes I'll use flex head for certain situations, or something brighter for other situations. So far, I haven't color matched flashers.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well I'd go warm white for GI personally so I'd go as warm as possible.
    I would really just try a warm white frosted 1 or 2 SMD in some inserts and see if you can really tell a diff'rence betwixed them and color matching. You may not really see much of a diff'rence and you'll save yourself a lot of time by just ordering in bulk.

Personally, I've found the insert colors to be much more vivid when color matching (on reds, blues, greens, and purples--yellow and orange doesn't seem to make a difference).

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Many times I'm the same way. Sometimes though it's better to not have to reorder 3 times a month because you needed a 555 green LED but ordered 44s.

I probably keep enough bulbs on-hand to do at least 2-3 games.

But yeah, there are quite a number of variants when you have multiple colors, bulb types, and socket types. It took me a few games to figure out which bulbs and how many to keep on hand.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-selection-help?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.