(Topic ID: 219431)

LED's vs Incandescent bulbs -- Heat difference quantified?

By JimWilks

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JimWilks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have a reasonable collection of pins, currently 60 games.

The vast majority of them are running #44 incandescent bulbs. Assuming each game has 50 bulbs on at any given time, that's 3000 bulbs on. The #44 data sheet says that each bulb draws 150mA at 6.3V. That's 945mW per bulb or 2.84 kW of power. I have no idea how much of that goes to light and how much to heat.

I'm wondering what "price" I am paying for that heat that I have to run air conditioning to cool. Even in the dead of winter, I must cool my game room. Anyone have any further facts to shed on this?

Ultimately, I'm looking to determine the ROI (Return On Investment) of a wholesale LED conversion of my games.

1 year later
    #9 4 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

OP, what was your final decision: to LED or not to LED?

I've started the process to LED all games. It will be a work in progress over a couple of years.

3 months later
    #13 4 years ago

The LED conversion is underway. I figure I'll need about 10,000 bulbs to do them all.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from kevmad:

Wow, do you keep all 60 of your games on at the same time? Then yes, that's a huge power draw.

I belong to 4 different pinball leagues. When I host all games are on.

#18 4 years ago

One of the first ones I've done is Paragon. Replaced all bulbs with white LED's. Looks nice!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JimWilks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-s-vs-incandescent-bulbs-heat-difference-quantified?tu=JimWilks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.