(Topic ID: 116552)

LED replacement tube for Stern backbox fluorscent tube?

By PhillyArcade

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by kevmad
  • Topic is favorited by 26 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    008.JPG
    004.JPG
    005.JPG
    003.JPG
    002.JPG
    001.JPG
    20150206_171841.jpg
    356722.jpg
    iu.jpg
    ends.jpg
    image-934.jpg
    image-636.jpg
    20150202_185359.jpg
    20150202_182246.jpg
    20150202_185253.jpg
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Home Depot had two different types on the shelf that fit. It was similar to this:
    http://t.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-14-Watt-1-Light-T5-Mini-Strip-Light-Diffuser-DMNS5-14D-R6/202192983/

One has a little more depth than the other so I bought one of each. Just used zip ties to keep them on. Both serve the purpose.
    Note: the photos I took with my iPhone exaggerate the brightness, it looks better to my eyes- more even.
    Thanks for posting
    Looks like I'll make a trip to the depot
    Jim

image.jpg 3 KB

Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Home Depot had two different types on the shelf that fit. It was similar to this:
    http://t.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-14-Watt-1-Light-T5-Mini-Strip-Light-Diffuser-DMNS5-14D-R6/202192983/

One has a little more depth than the other so I bought one of each. Just used zip ties to keep them on. Both serve the purpose.
    Note: the photos I took with my iPhone exaggerate the brightness, it looks better to my eyes- more even.

image.jpg 3 KB

#52 9 years ago

RE: Ballast

So I guess there's now such a thing as plug-and-play LED tubes that can work with the existing fluorescent ballasts that maybe some here are using. And of course there are plenty of direct wire type LED tubes as well - either wired on the same end or on either end as has already been discussed. This blog seems to sum it up nicely. I think it's worth knowing that it's not a one-size-fits-all world when it comes retrofitting fluorescents with LEDs - especially if you move on to modify household fixtures after doing your pinball.

http://www.leapfroglighting.com/decide-type-led-t8-retrofit-tube-right/

#53 9 years ago

Excellent writeup. As a test I did one of my garage fixtures. Figuring out how to disassemble and rewire it took maybe 30-40 minutes. Since the rest of the ones I have are the same, I think it would take ~20 minutes per fixture to do the rest. I still haven't decided if that's worth it or not.

1 week later
    #54 9 years ago

Bought 2 bulbs from Suzzo Happ and it was simple to swap out. I removed the starter and then the bulb. Installed new LED bulb and away it went. Looks good. Installed in Pirates and Metallica.

8 months later
    #55 8 years ago

I tried ordering from Suzzohapp but they require a $100 minimum order, so went with the Amazon bulb instead. I hope it will work.

1 week later
    #56 8 years ago

Amazon LED bulb (linked above) works just fine! Need to redo wiring to take out starter and ballast. Just connect the voltage and return wires directly coming up from the cabinet to the left "tombstone" holder. I did this for a Sega Star Wars.

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-replacement-tube-for-stern-backbox-fluorscent-tube/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.