(Topic ID: 14187)

LED replacement bulbs - can I get a summary/opinion on issues?

By decktard

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I'm digging through a fair amount of posts and I'm trying to get a handle on the different issues with LEDs.

I have a Fish Tales that I'd like to start replacing incandescents with LEDs. I'm going to start with the back box. I'm guessing my question applies to most 90's Williams WPC pins.

Ghosting - Sounds like this is an issue for mostly inserts as some light may remain on. Am I correct that for the most part I could go with a cheaper LED for GI as those lights are on most of the time anyway? Sounds like there are ROM patches as well which is a possibility.

Flicker / Strobing - I see there are a couple LED types, such as Cointaker Premiums, that say they reduce flicker. Is flicker an issue across all lit areas in the older pins? I like doing things right the first time... if there is flicker, I'm sure I'll see it. Does it mostly annoy people while playing? So potentially I could get Premium LEDs for playfield GI and cheaper LEDs for backbox lighting?

Just looking for some opinions... I don't want to overspend on LEDs if I don't need to... but I also don't want to underspend and not like the results. I got a couple Ablaze LEDs with a pinball life order just to see how they look in different areas.

#2 12 years ago

There is a sticky thread on LED's with a lot of that info. Did you read it yet? There are many options like you mentioned. Trial and errror is the best.

#3 12 years ago

The sticky didn't really cover flicker solutions exactly. Looks like in some cases this effects game play and others not.

Maybe it is more of a Fish Tales specific question then.

Trial and error is expensive too... looking for someone who may have been through it... someone who has had flicker issues with WPC machines.

#4 12 years ago

I put a few LEDs in my FT in locations that needed a bit more brightness (captive ball inserts) or color (purple fish). I had ghosting issues, and did get patched ROMs. This helped a bit, but it was still there if you looked hard enough. Trial and error to the rescue. In this case, I had some LEDs laying around from BCs Pinball that worked out nicely.

I also have some Cointaker premium in my Getaway stoplight, but they are too bright in inserts for my taste. They did fix the ghosting issue I had there with other LEDs.

I don't do any GI because I like the warm glow of incandescent, and I don't do backboxes because I'm yet to find LEDs that don't create hot spots.

I've seen flicker when playing around with LEDs in GI, but unless the bulbs were dimming, it didn't really bother me.

#5 12 years ago

Thanks...

I'm debating trying a mix of LEDs and incandescents in the backbox. A few colored LEDs in key places.

I'm focusing on that first because one of the connectors on the board burned up. I don't want to fix it, and have the incandescents burn it up again... I want to use the LEDs to take some stress off that system.

So with the patched ROM, do you run both LEDs and incadescents with that done? That is another thing I couldn't find info on... if that was ok to do or not.

#6 12 years ago

Yeah, the patch just fixes a bug in the lamp timing, so it's fine for a mix. If you fix the connector correctly, incandescents won't be an issue.

#7 12 years ago

try non ghostings

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I don't do backboxes because I'm yet to find LEDs that don't create hot spots.

Backboxes is probably the most important thing you can do because it lowers the temp for the boards so significantly. To avoid hot spots, use cointaker frosted bulbs. They radiate light much better than other leds and are much less hot.

#9 12 years ago

If the ball looks like it is under a strobe light near the flippers, swap a few incan bulbs to even the illumination out. Just a few makes all the difference in the world.

Obviously, put the incandescent bulbs in the sockets that are the easiest to replace.

#10 12 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I don't do backboxes because I'm yet to find LEDs that don't create hot spots.

That is where I started, like mike said that is the most important place for LEDs

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I put a few LEDs in my FT in locations that needed a bit more brightness (captive ball inserts) or color (purple fish). I had ghosting issues, and did get patched ROMs. This helped a bit, but it was still there if you looked hard enough. Trial and error to the rescue. In this case, I had some LEDs laying around from BCs Pinball that worked out nicely.
    I also have some Cointaker premium in my Getaway stoplight, but they are too bright in inserts for my taste. They did fix the ghosting issue I had there with other LEDs.
    I don't do any GI because I like the warm glow of incandescent, and I don't do backboxes because I'm yet to find LEDs that don't create hot spots.
    I've seen flicker when playing around with LEDs in GI, but unless the bulbs were dimming, it didn't really bother me.

You need to use the Super Brights for the backbox application, as there is no "Hot spots" like you mention. You must be referring to the Ablaze 3-LED's, those are horrible for the backbox with the hot spots (direct beam.)

#12 12 years ago

I've tried Cointaker frosted, super brights, minis, Ablaze singles, BCS frosted, etc., and I don't like any of them. Hot spots, too bright and reflecting off the PF glass, whatever, I just can't be happy with them.

I settled on incandescents with only about half of them populated.

#13 12 years ago

CT Superbrights are quite bright in a backglass i have found. Pretty sure I used CT wides or frosted for my TZ and it's much more subtle.

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I've tried Cointaker frosted, super brights, minis, Ablaze singles, BCS frosted, etc., and I don't like any of them. Hot spots, too bright and reflecting off the PF glass, whatever, I just can't be happy with them.
    I settled on incandescents with only about half of them populated.

huh, well for my HS the Super Brights give a nice spread of light with no direct beam. It really looks as if there incadescents in there. Maybe because its a mirrored backglass and not a translite, who knows. What machine(s) did you try?

#15 12 years ago

Trial n error.

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

CT Superbrights are quite bright in a backglass i have found. Pretty sure I used CT wides or frosted for my TZ and it's much more subtle.

The Super Brights are a great LED, I believe there the best behind a backglass and with the TZ its a translite, so maybe that plays a factor. I have tried the wide and frosted on my HS and got direct beam with the frosted, and very dim with the wides.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #18 12 years ago

Well said John, I totally agree with a lot of what you said. I hate how the attract mode looks like it's in fast forward because of the instant on/off. It totally ruins the effect.

Most people just don't get it. LED LED LED LED, that's all I read about ...

I use some in my machines, they do have their place, but I use them VERY sparingly...

People just need to figure it out themselves I guess, people are sheeple haha

#19 12 years ago

My LED desire is more practical... but I don't want to overspend on something like Cointaker Premiums if they don't really fix the flicker issue. But maybe a mix of LEDs/incandescents could smooth things out. Sounds like LEDs in GI can be the most flicker annoyance prone...

I like the incandescent look and the way they fade in the game...

But I need to fix a burnt back box GI pin and I wanna put some LEDs there and in certain other parts because from what I understand it'll take stress off the system.

#20 12 years ago

I don't know if premiums or ghostbusters are made for clearing up "flickering" though?
    I've heard ghosting is cleared up.

Maybe if you just got some warms for the GI, and only put them in way back areas that arent so visable it could help.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I don't know if premiums or ghostbusters are made for clearing up "flickering" though?
    I've heard ghosting is cleared up.
    Maybe if you just got some warms for the GI, and only put them in way back areas that arent so visable it could help.

The warms are definitely better looking and can blend with real bulbs. Keeping warm GI LEDs in the back areas as you suggest and in the backbox will remove stress on the GI connectors while minimizing the strobing effect. Use real bulbs on the lower playfield and especially spotlights.

For inserts, just remove all the light boards and clean all of the black dust out of the insert lenses. Also, wipe the dirt off all of the bulbs before putting them back. This will make the insert lights plenty bright with very few exceptions. The last game I de-LEDed had so much dirt in the lenses it actually needed the super brights to shine through it. The LEDs were a recent install, so the (newbie) owner didn't even bother to try to clean up (or fix switch errors, rebuild flippers, etc, etc). Once I cleaned everything up and put in real bulbs in place of the LEDs it looked great.

John

#22 12 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

The warms are definitely better looking and can blend with real bulbs.

I don't think it is fair to say that warm white LEDs are "definitely better looking". Better looking than what? The normal cool white LEDs? How can you make a generalization like that? Doesn't it depend on the application?

Also, in my experience, a lot of so called warm white LEDs look terrible. Instead of looking similar to an incandescent bulb, they look more like a florescent bulb....which looks more out of place than the bluer light of the cool white LED in my opinion.

The Cointaker Ultra Brights (that I only use in spots) come in cool and warm, and the warm white on those look very nice, with a golden hue that is very appealing to me. These are the exception though. The Super Warm Whites do not have this same look.

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

PT said:The warms are definitely better looking and can blend with real bulbs.
    I don't think it is fair to say that warm white LEDs are "definitely better looking". Better looking than what? The normal cool white LEDs? How can you make a generalization like that? Doesn't it depend on the application?
    Also, in my experience, a lot of so called warm white LEDs look terrible. Instead of looking similar to an incandescent bulb, they look more like a florescent bulb....which looks more out of place than the bluer light of the cool white LED in my opinion.
    The Cointaker Ultra Brights (that I only use in spots) come in cool and warm, and the warm white on those look very nice, with a golden hue that is very appealing to me. These are the exception though. The Super Warm Whites do not have this same look.

Good catch. I have only seen the warm whites from Cointaker. I thought they looked pretty good even though I am obviously not an LED guy. I wasn't aware of other sellers/brands that had a similar warm white LED.

John

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-replacement-bulbs-can-i-get-a-summaryopinion-on-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.