Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinsideTroll
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ww (resized).jpg
IMG_8787 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

Hello all,
I'm just about to the point of shopping out my Whirlwind pinball machine and was looking for recommendations on which super bright LED'S to install since I will be stripping down the playfield. There are a lot of companies out there and trying to decide between all of them. So far Comet Pinball or Pinball Life is what i have looked at so far. What are your recommendations?

Thanks!
BMK

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from Brandon:

...which super bright LED'S...So far Comet Pinball or Pinball Life is what i have looked at so far. What are your recommendations?

If you're talking GI my recommendation is not to use LEDs. As for the inserts I just through in some Comet 8mm last week and they look great, and are cheap.

#3 2 years ago

For GI, I use frosted dome 1-smd leds. Easier on the eyes. Stick to one or two colors related to the general color of the machine. Too much color can be awful.
For inserts, i use 1-smd with clear dome or no dome. Color match those, red for red insert, green for green, etc. Use warm white for orange and yellows.
Check out some youtube videos for examples. TNT does some nice LED jobs.

#4 2 years ago

I personally prefer either incandescent for the GI lighting, or the warm white ones to make it look original. 90's games look strange when they are too bright or like a rainbow.

Pinball life makes a great bulb. I use the $.89 ghost busting ones with the clear domes throughout the game. Looks great for inserts and the GI. Colors are nice and enhanced for inserts.

I've never used Comet ones, but I hear their warm whites are even closet to the incandescent look if you want originality.

#5 2 years ago

Yes remember not to get concerned aboot how bright the LEDs are. Many of the inserts in WW are small arrows and triangles and you don;t need a ton of light for them.

Quoted from sublime90803:

I've never used Comet ones, but I hear their warm whites are even closet to the incandescent look if you want originality.

Even theirs are far away from incandescent sadly.

#6 2 years ago

In the Games I have done, to get the sweet spot in this Specific Game, especially in the GI, I would recommend the 2 Bubble LED from Comet. Warm, if you wish to come close to original hue.

Frosted or Clear, depending on your taste, and home lighting when playing.

Sunlight is a second choice.

Its only my Opinion, with a little bit of experience

pasted_image (resized).png

#7 2 years ago

Here is how mine turned out:

IMG_8787 (resized).JPG

#8 2 years ago

I did mine in the comet 2smd's sunlight. looked awesome! little brighter than what art recommended, but either will work great!

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

I did mine in the comet 2smd's sunlight. looked awesome! little brighter than what art recommended, but either will work great!

Your right, we changed the ones in the back to the brighter 2 smd for a couple of games...

#10 2 years ago

cointaker is what i have in mine. frosted cool white for gi, colored supers in the inserts.

ww (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside