(Topic ID: 105518)

LED questions / cometpinball.com

By bimm25i

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0726.JPG
    2014-10-08 17.21.44.jpg
    2014-10-08 17.21.30.jpg
    2014-10-08 17.21.20.jpg
    DIY Getaway light mod 4.JPG
    DIY Getaway light mod 3.JPG
    DIY Getaway light mod 1.JPG
    3SMDHOODBPNW.JPG
    SpecialLights.png
    strip.jpg
    opmax main.jpg
    IMGA0232.JPG
    IMGA0130.JPG
    IMGA0131.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bimm25i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

hey all I've been putting colored LED's on my pin and it made it look AWESOME!!! so much cooler than before. I'm noticing a few places though where I'd like to put some light and don't have any sockets.

I wanted to buy a few of the "Ultimate Optix Super Flux 2 Wired" and use their versatility to reach my hard to get at dark places, but I'm going to need to extend the stock wires, maybe even to 15". Is this going to be a problem? If im already going that far, would it be possible to get rid of the 555 base entirely and run the LED's individually?

I have one more bulb question, I want to add a mini spotlight that illuminates a helicopter about 4 inches away. I don't know if i'll have room to any sort of lens/mirror inside the spotlight so is there a specific TYPE of LED, let's say one available on cometpinball.com even, that would cast a nice defined O spotlight shape? Bonus points if the bulb is smaller than a standard 555 bulb which is just a fudge too big to fit in the spotlight and look good.

thanks guys!

hound me for pictures and I might put some up

#9 9 years ago

1. BRIGHT WHITE - Spotlight, would like a bright white here

2. GREEN - the plastics are double layered here and the top one doesn't glow, I want a moderately bright bulb here to just get the plastic glowing slightly.

3/4. GREEN - Same story with the tiered plastics, need 2 dim bulbs (possibly with some sort of light block behind them) here to avoid casting green light on the yellow ramp.

5/6. GREEN - same situation as 3/4, need to be even more precise here with yellow ramps on both sides. I cant stress enough, the green light on the yellow ramp looks like complete garbage

SpecialLights.pngSpecialLights.png
    #12 9 years ago

Thanks Art I was planning on buying a few different bulbs for each spot to compare what works where. I'll place an order on your site in the next few days, your selection is awesome! thanks for being such a solid resource.

#13 9 years ago

Here are some pics, its easy to see where and why I want to add the lights.

Also, to those familiar with the game you'll immediately notice the BLUE bonus X lights, I think the blue really makes the game pop. totally worth doing IMO. I was thinking about getting RGB fade bulbs for the "hostages" 1 and 2 at the bottom to stress they are important, but that's for another time.

The two white lights at the bottom rails I could use advice on too, I'd like them to throw more light on the lower playfield, they are doing a terrible job of it now. Is there a specific bulb that's designed to throw better light on the sides instead of up? I don't want to blind the player but I'd like these to brighten up the place better than they do. Currently, they are just 555 poke up out of the playfield.

2014-10-08 17.21.20.jpg2014-10-08 17.21.20.jpg 2014-10-08 17.21.30.jpg2014-10-08 17.21.30.jpg 2014-10-08 17.21.44.jpg2014-10-08 17.21.44.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bimm25i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-questions-cometpinballcom?tu=bimm25i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.