Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5334 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robl45.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I am putting LED's in NGG TOM and possible Dr. Dude. I'm trying to do it as cost effective as possible. Right now the machines are heating up my office to the point its quite uncomfortable and I can't imagine its good for the games either.

I've been looking at Comets site and the 300 Flat Top LEDs is quite a deal at 78 bucks or so. Has anyone used these bulbs, will they work good everywhere? I"m just looking for something relatively simple that I can use in all places without going crazy. Will these bulbs work in the horizontal locations which seems to be many in TOM and NGG?

I've also been looking at the 2SMD bulbs which while quite a bit more expensive, I have heard will work fine in the horizontal locations although I don't want the things stupid bright. A little brighter than current with the Incandescent would be nice as my daughter likes to play in the dark and its a little dim now.

#12 7 years ago

I'm not completely sure what you are saying. Are you saying 2smd frosted is good for basically everywhere but the flat top leds are only good for small inserts? Why would I not use LED flashers in the backbox?

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

These titles look great in 2smd frosted.
    Average cost is $100 to $115 per game.
    Keep your incandescent flashers in the back box, maybe brightening 1 or 2 for affect.
    To get the cost lower, scatter frosted or self
    Frosted, in the back box, these same flat tops will light small circle inserts well too.
    Not GI.
    Doing it this way, will get you around $80 to $90 a game.
    Id still grab a few opmax for back or strips, to make it rock, and at that point, you max at $100, but some games can go lower
    Due to bulb count.
    I just saw a fishtaled done with 100%
    2 smd sunlight frosted, and while i would tweak and color matched, the game looked phenomenal. NGG has a similar palatte.

#17 7 years ago

Who owns comet now?

Quoted from maffewl:

oldpinguy was suggesting ways to lower the costs if that is a concern. He would know, as he owned Comet Pinball and recently sold it. My suggestion would be to get Twin SMDs with frosted lens throughout. Sunlight white is a perfect medium between Natural & Warm for general GI. I would only splash color a specific locations so that it doesn't look like a unicorn threw up on the playfield. I would also use Twin SMDs for the inserts, and color matchunder them. The only exception would be to use Warm Whites for yellow inserts instead of Yellow/Amber as they tend to look a little orange. For flashers, I use the 8 SMD bulbs with no lens. My .02.
    Here's a pic of a PotC I did per the above message. Twin SMDs in Sunlight White, splashing color, color matched inserts, 8 SMD flashers in Natural White.

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from mrmark0673:

Comet's 250 piece master kits are the best deal in all of pinball IMO. Ryan and company are fantastic and the price is unbeatable; just grabbed 2-250 piece master kits from him last week.
    Though not as economical, I put LED OCD into every pin that wasn't designed for LEDs. Very happy with he results.

I been looking at that with 2 SMD. Problem is you get some colors that I might not use, so I'm thinking probably better to do like a bulk 100 white since white is needed in a lot of places and then 25 packs of red blue green. If I do a bulk 100 and then 6 25 packs, it comes out to 7 bucks more than the 250 piece and I don't end up with colors I may never use.

#27 7 years ago

after rethinking it, the problem is you get a bulk 100 pack and it only comes with one type of bulb, wedge or bayonet, same thing with the 25 packs. Still even getting 4 packs of white, the price difference isn't that much.

I really like the 149 kit, but what do you do with the orange and yellow bulbs? I understand they aren't supposed to be bright enough and you should use warm white. They even say that in the description for the warm white bulbs that are included. Purple I guess you could use for the inserts?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robl45.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-questions-2?tu=robl45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.