Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Breaking_Dad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150111_201246.jpg
image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Just picked up a T2, and am considering converting the inserts to LEDs, but I had a few questions:

1. I've read about some machines having ghosting issues that are fixed once you patch your roms. Is there any way to tell if my roms have already been patched? I don't have any of the equipment necessary to patch them, so if they haven't would that be a deal breaker? It already has LED GI, and they flicker when you turn the GI down in the Test menu, does that mean anything?

2. Does anyone have a comparison image for using white LEDs under inserts vs using colored LEDs? It seems people generally recommend using color matched LEDs, but I'm not sure if it's necessary, and I've seen a lot of machines where I felt the inserts were 'too' vibrant, which I'd like to avoid (I just want my inserts to be easy to see and evenly lit), and I'm not sure if that was caused by the color matching or just because the LEDs were too bright

3. How big of an insert warrants a 3x LED over a 1x for fairly even coverage? would the ~2.5x1.5 inch rectangular inserts be big enough that a 1x wouldn't work?

I don't really want to order a sample set or anything, since I want to do this cheaply. I don't want to go dropping even $100 on LEDs or anything, and the only reason I'm considering it is because I saw that I could get 70 LEDs from pinball life for ~$22, and just buying the amount of #555s I'd need would run me half that, so basically I just want to order whatever's 'safest'.

#2 4 years ago

PM Rock914. He has a T-2 that looks amazing and he is great with LEDs.

#3 4 years ago

Just a bit of advice with the ones you're considering.......you get what you pay for.

#4 4 years ago

1. Your ROM isn't patched unless the game already has LEDs and the previous owner did it.
2. Buy sample bulbs and compare yourself. I always color match.
3. Buying a pack of the cheapest LEDs and hoping to do your whole game in crappy $0.35 white bulbs is going to look awful. LEDing a game is not a $25 job. I use bulbs of various styles, colors, brightness, and price when doing a game. The whole point is to make your game look better. Make sure you're not paying for a downgrade.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Just a bit of advice with the ones you're considering.......you get what you pay for.

Do you mean they won't be as high quality as the ones that cost $1+ a piece, or that they're defective? I know they might not look as good as they could, I just want something that looks better than the half burnt out, dirty incandescents I've got right now

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I just want something that looks better than the half burnt out, dirty incandescents I've got right now

Usually those cheapo ones are not that bright at all, so instead of a dim incandescent, you will have a dim LED. It's very hard to suggest LED use as it is very much personal taste. I would buy a sample of each bulb from the .25 cent one all the way up to the ones that are over $1. Then you can see for yourself the difference and make the decision of what you want to buy for the rest of the game.

#7 4 years ago

LED bulbs aren't too much brighter or vibrant than incandescent bulbs. The SMD bulbs are brighter and more vibrant. However, some people go overboard and get extra bright SMD bulbs. 1 SMD bulbs work well for small inserts, and 1 or 2 SMD bulbs work well for GI. I like the comet's fluted SMD bulbs for lighting large, dark areas.

Color match with the inserts usually works best, although yellow/orange inserts typically work best with a white bulb, rather than a color bulb.

You'll probably put at least $200 into LED/SMD bulbs for one machine.

#8 4 years ago

Here is my suggestion. Replace those dirty incandescent and burnt out bulbs with new incandescent bulbs. If you want leds you can get by with el cheapos but what is the point. You will get all tge negative effects of the leds without the positives to overcome the negatives. Comet sells some great sample packs if you actually want to improve the look of your game. I can set you up as well but i am not cheap, keep in mind you typically get what you pay for.

#9 4 years ago

The cheap ones are fine and won't burn out your retinas looking at them.

#10 4 years ago

I love the 69 cent Comet 2 smd leds, they are not the no ghost bulbs. I have them in my Avatar LE, NASCAR and T3 along with the DK pinball OCD board and the inserts all fade perfectly just like the incandecents but with the 60% power savings of LED's. Use alcohol and Qtips to clean the underside of all the inserts if you haven't done so already, if they are dirty it will really brighten them up.

#11 4 years ago

LEDs in the GI will always flicker and pulse like that at the "dim" levels unless you get a GI OCD board. that's why people turn off the "allow dim illumination" setting once they put LEDs in.

if you buy the cheapest bulbs, they will ghost noticeably on T2. non-ghosting bulbs will help that problem, and aren't that much more expensive.

i prefer to color-match the inserts, but that's a personal preference. i could talk all day about my personal LED preferences.

if you're really not into the LED look and you don't want to spend money, maybe just sticking with incandescents will work better for you. good luck!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

if you're really not into the LED look and you don't want to spend money, maybe just sticking with incandescents will work better for you. good luck!

This is what I would recommend as well. Clean up all the inserts and plastics really well and put brand new incandescent bulbs in your game. That sounds like you will get the results you want for the price you want.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

if you buy the cheapest bulbs, they will ghost noticeably on T2.

Is this because of the rom bug that the patching would fix, or do I just need to get non-ghosting no matter what?

#14 4 years ago

Either patch your Roms
Or get no ghosting led
Or get cheap LED plus OCD
Or stay incandescent

LED plus OCD looks fantastic in my opinion. But it is pricey. And you appear to be very cost sensitive. In your case the suggestion of cleaning your plastics and putting in fresh incandescent is a good one; preserving the character of the game lighting rise but still brightening it up from what you have now.

If you are serious about LED then note a few benefits of the OCD board:
- fixes ghosting
- fixes flicker
- ramps up and down the brightness, emulating incandescent. Takes away harsh instant on and off of LED.
- OCD board lets you control the led behavior of all the switched lights. You can use it to intentionally soften or brighten areas.

I have no stake in Herg or his company but am a happier (and a lot broker!) customer, having used it on all my 1989 to 2004 machines.

#15 4 years ago

I've had good results with the cheap single-LED (small inserts) and 3-LEDs (larger inserts) from Pinball Life after applying the WPC ghosting fix. However, if I want to go this route in the future, I'll need to buy my an inexpensive ROM burner. There was a guy who used to burn ROMs for me for a nominal fee, but he was issued a C&D from PPS.

#16 4 years ago

I just did my Leathal Weapon 3 and my Royal rumble this weekend. I used the coin taker premium kits. They look great, it was if the games were reborn. Coin taker packages the bulbs per sections and gives information sheet, as well as a diagram . It was all intimidating at first, but the info and packaging made it easy. I am new to working on my games, but now I fell very proud and saved a bunch of money. I have no ghosting,and they just look great. The staff is very helpful, prompt, and friendly. Money well spent.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I just did my Leathal Weapon 3 and my Royal rumble this weekend. I used the coin taker premium kits. They look great, it was if the games were reborn. Coin taker packages the bulbs per sections and gives information sheet, as well as a diagram . It was all intimidating at first, but the info and packaging made it easy. I am new to working on my games, but now I fell very proud and saved a bunch of money. I have no ghosting,and they just look great. The staff is very helpful, prompt, and friendly. Money well spent.

So did you just pop the old bulbs out and the LEDs in...boom...done deal...???!!!..............Joey

#18 4 years ago

Perfect timing OP....want to do my T2 as well....very overwhelming with all the choices out there....for no real reason I think I'm going with super brites....if it's too bright I'll play with sunglasses....it is T2 after all....hey OP...hit me with a PM if you want to go down this road together...............Joey

#19 4 years ago

Look what the poor T3 owners have to wear when they led too bright.....lol............Joeyimage.jpg

#20 4 years ago

This is set up to play in the dark, 2 spot lights need to be added at the slings yet to light the center of the pf

20150111_201246.jpg
#21 4 years ago

Man I wish I had one of those cool shooter lane mods.....O wait a minute.... .............Joey

#22 4 years ago

My vote is for Cointaker also. Did my MM and I'm very happy with it. They have a specific bulb for each location with great directions. They're crisp and clear, bright but not overwhelming. I've seen sooo many machines over done and playing through a purple fog just isn't for me. As a mater of fact, I'm ordering a set today for my CC.
Good luck on what ever you decide.

#23 4 years ago

^^^...did you use super brite.....???.............Joey

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 222.00
Cabinet - Decals
Buthamburg
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Newnan, GA
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Multigame
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CzTV Mods
€ 4.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Multigame

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside