Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LORDDREK
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A8AF314F-E2FC-4F0A-A5C9-45166D6CFF34 (resized).jpeg
    WPC aux3 (resized).JPG
    WPC aux2 (resized).JPG
    WPC aux1 (resized).JPG
    #1 3 years ago

The machine I bought Judge Dredd came with a full LED kit installed and a couple spots added. I plan on adding lighted star posts next. But as I read more about adding LEDs I’m finding words of caution regarding overloading the control board, blowing fuses, lit flipper buttons causing problems, ect.

The easy solution seems to be just add an auxiliary power supply to power all this stuff. But I can’t find much info on this here by searching as I lack the skill of proper key wording.

So if can anyone direct me to threads or product to help with this issue I would appreciate it. Thanks!

#2 3 years ago

When I added mods to my JD, I immediately ran into power issues. I ended up buying a meanwell power supply and fed it off the service outlet of the machine with a plug that turns on with a relay (which I tapped off a coin door light). I then used the meanwell to supply power to one of the aftermarked 8 plug expansion boards and ran everything I added to the game off of that. Worked like a charm. The only thing aftermarket that I ran off the original power was my ColorDMD.

I'll try to find links of what I bought and followup with them. This was a couple of years ago so memory is foggy on what and where I bought them.

#3 3 years ago

That is exactly what I was envisioning.
    I will look into that setup. Thanks for the tips!

#4 3 years ago

Here is the Meanwell power supply I use and have installed it in several pins with the same installation as described above. Just better to pull mod power off of a dedicated source rather than the machine's power.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Dual-Output-Volt/dp/B005T7EZM8

Here is the power splitter I used. I used these in non-Stern pins as well. I just bought extra pins and connectors and wire everything to plug directly into this board.

https://www.pinballlife.com/8-way-power-splitter-board-for-stern-pinball-machines-using-whitestar-or-sam-operating-systems.html

And then this is the relayed power cord that I used to get the Meanwell to turn on and off with the machine. Unfortunately, it looks like it is no longer being made: https://www.adafruit.com/product/268

They have this as an alternative which does exactly the same thing, but its a bigger footprint with 4 outlets: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2935

I also remember seeing somewhere (on here??) that someone is/was selling a similar relayed cord that powers up when it detects light. So when you turn on your pinball machine, it detects the lights from the game and completes the circuit through the cord. But I cannot seem to find it right now.

Anyway, hope this helps. It really is not difficult to do. The Meanwell gives you both 12v and 5v, so just make sure that you power whatever you are hooking up correctly. Those 3 pin connectors are a 12v, 5v, and ground pin. Pretty much everything I had hooked up used 5v. So I didn't run the 12v pin in most of the plugs I ran but I did supply the 12v to the power splitter just in case I ever needed it.

#5 3 years ago

Instead of a relay you can put the extra power supply on the other side of the power switch so it powers on/off with the rest of the game.

#6 3 years ago

And now that I look at that alternative relayed power cord, it's nice that it has 2 "always on" plugs and 2 of them are relayed. I lost my service outlet with the old plug because my cord took it to power my Meanwell. With that 4 plug, you will actually have 2 service outlets now without having to unplug anything. Not too bad. I would just unplug my cord when I needed to solder something, but extra plugs are not a bad thing. Plenty of room in the JD cabinet, so its not really much of an issue.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Instead of a relay you can put the extra power supply on the other side of the power switch so it powers on/off with the rest of the game.

NOW you tell me...

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

The line cord and power button ultimately puts 120v onto the transformer primary. You can add two wires at that exact same point going into the transformer to feed the input on an extra power supply for mods.

#10 3 years ago

If you need a lot of power for mods, its hard to beat a 360W (30A@12V) power supply for under $25
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJVYDDW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If you need a lot of power for mods, its hard to beat a 360W (30A@12V) power supply for under $25
    amazon.com link »

To put it in perspective, most LEDs take as little as 5mA or up to 20mA each, depending on size and color. So for each AMP of power supply, you can add at least 50 larger LEDs, or up to 200 smaller LEDs. With adding a 30A power supply, you should be all set with adding 1500 BIG and bright LEDs. This is a great thing because it allows your pinball machine to double as an aircraft landing strip if needed! (In all seriousness, other mods may include motors or sensors and controllers which take more current as well).

#12 3 years ago

This was the light activated one I remember reading about.... Thanks for posting that. I couldn't remember where I saw it.

#13 3 years ago

Thank you for digging up all those links. That is very helpful!

#14 3 years ago

Also if you're Led-Ing the rest of the playfield, you're taking a lot of wattage off the "playfield" literally and metaphorically, and you can use that power to do other things with like posts and things, if you're talking an already LED-ED playfield like GB / Jersey Jack Playfields that rule doesn't apply... but each incandescent 555 wedge bulb eats 0.238Amps while a led bulb 555 wedge eats 0.02A, so by removing 1 incandescent bulb you'd be able to power 10 led ones, now some star posts use 3-4 led elements, so it's not always a 1-1 thing but by removing incandescent bulbs you build yourself some headroom on power.

On that note if you see the game struggling or resetting, a $10 power supply to power all your gi or other leds is a lot less expensive than having your power supply rebuilt.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCrosby:

Also if you're Led-Ing the rest of the playfield, you're taking a lot of wattage off the "playfield" literally and metaphorically, and you can use that power to do other things with like posts and things, if you're talking an already LED-ED playfield like GB / Jersey Jack Playfields that rule doesn't apply... but each incandescent 555 wedge bulb eats 0.238Amps while a led bulb 555 wedge eats 0.02A, so by removing 1 incandescent bulb you'd be able to power 10 led ones, now some star posts use 3-4 led elements, so it's not always a 1-1 thing but by removing incandescent bulbs you build yourself some headroom on power.
    On that note if you see the game struggling or resetting, a $10 power supply to power all your gi or other leds is a lot less expensive than having your power supply rebuilt.

JD came from the factory tapped out with its available power used already. I swapped all of my bulbs to LED and then was able to run a ColorDMD off the stock power. But after that, even plugging in 1 led strip or low draw mod and I was blowing fuses, getting resets, etc... If there is one game you should add an additional power supply to for anything extra, JD would be at the top of that list.

1 month later
    #16 2 years ago

Any pics to this JD?

#17 2 years ago

Victor Tan ("DumbAss" here on pinside) makes a WPC auxilliary accessory power supply board which has both 12 volt and 5 volt outputs. They are wired the same as connectors J116 through J118 on the WPC Power Driver board. It's good for 3 amps on each voltage rail. Here are pictures of the board and the particular wall wart power supply we ordered to operate the board.

WPC aux1 (resized).JPGWPC aux1 (resized).JPGWPC aux2 (resized).JPGWPC aux2 (resized).JPGWPC aux3 (resized).JPGWPC aux3 (resized).JPG
    #18 2 years ago
    Quoted from JustJared:

Any pics to this JD?

Not exactly sure which JD you were referring to, mine or the OP's... But if you were asking about mine, it was just restored by HEP and if you scroll down to the under-playfield pics, you can see that he wired the Meanwell power supply and the power splitter board in the restoration. The power splitter only has one thing plugged into it at the time of his pictures, but it will have a few more things plugged in when it gets back to me.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hep-this-week-9-17-18/page/186#post-6297106

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from JustJared:

Any pics to this JD?

A8AF314F-E2FC-4F0A-A5C9-45166D6CFF34 (resized).jpegA8AF314F-E2FC-4F0A-A5C9-45166D6CFF34 (resized).jpeg
    It is a work in progress. Adding the blue light strip under the stakeout ramp and a couple orange strips in center ramp area was a huge improvement. The white under the crane reflects glare off deadworld I need to diffuse that but they all light up the once very dark top quite well.

The slingshot star posts I just added are nice but the stock white LEDs kinda clash. The plan is to change to orange or yellow and make them flash from slingshot.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-power-supply?hl=dcrosby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.