Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Mando
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I am going to LED up the inserts of my NGG. Already did the GI using mostly Optimus Maxmimus which looks great no strobing effect which I am prone to noticing.

I want the inserts to look just as nice, was going to buy a bunch of Ultimate Optix from Art however maybe I will splurge and get LED OCD with a bunch of two SMD bulbs.

Thoughts? NGG has a lot of use of the inserts to create visual affects during gameplay.

Herg if you read this I see its not yet tested om NGG, any sort of a tester discount ? LOL

#2 9 years ago

I have never used those LED bulbs but I have to say I love the LED OCD.
The LED OCD takes care of it all plus you can control the brightness of every bulb which I like. I like to keep the inserts near the flippers less bright and the inserts towards the back of the machine a little brighter. Great option IMHO. I was pretty skeptical of it but the board works great. No ghosting, no strobing, no flicker as well with the LED OCD. I usually use regular frosted cointaker bulbs with it. You can use any LED bulb but recommended they not have anti ghosting products so the board can control them. Great product IMHO.

I assume the comet bulbs are a great product and if you don't want to monkey around with a computer then these might be your best option.

Cheers.

#3 9 years ago

If there is a good light show with the inserts I'd get the LED OCD. I installed one on my LOTR, which is one of the few games that most think you should really leave incandescent. It looked like crap until I loaded the LOTR profile in the LED OCD and it looked like it did originally with great fading and no strobing. Just get the cheap LEDs (the non-ghosting don't work as well with the LED OCD).

--Kevin

#4 9 years ago

Cool, I assume its super easy to install. Of course tweaking may take some time. Yea I will be doing the frosted 2SMD from Comet. Which is pretty similiar to the CT ones I think. I prefer to support Art because he is local and answers my insane amount of emails

This game is a keeper for me, even though its a silly game and the rules can get a little boring its also super fun. As a avid golfer and lover of wise cracking gofers the theme really fits, its my second one and a extremely nice HUO example. So all that to say I am ok with spending a few extra bucks on it if its worth it. Just need a color DMD

#5 9 years ago

I had the no ghost in my Avatar and it still ghosted and strobed so I put the LCD OCD board in and it worked perfect right out of the box. I left the no ghost in the game because I didn't want to spend more money on more bulbs. Didn't need to tweak it at all but you might want to.

#6 9 years ago

I saw a TZ with a LED OCD board at a local guy's house - first time I've seen one (that I knew what I was looking at) in person. It looked great. Now I really want one for my Iron Man.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Herg if you read this I see its not yet tested om NGG, any sort of a tester discount ?

I wish I could give everyone discounts (drop the price), but the sad fact is that they just cost too much to make. It drives me crazy that the cabling costs so much, but there's not enough space to put the board close to the connectors.

#8 9 years ago

in my opinion, the most noticeable benefit of LED OCD is the smoothness it adds, which you dont get even with premium LEDs.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I wish I could give everyone discounts (drop the price), but the sad fact is that they just cost too much to make. It drives me crazy that the cabling costs so much, but there's not enough space to put the board close to the connectors.

Ok I'm sold I'll offer my NGG config if you ship free, which I think you already do so this is a joke

Even thought it seems super easy im always nervous im going to blow up my games. I used to build PCs and other electronics from scratch so I won't but I still do

#10 9 years ago

So I ordered the OCD, should have it end of the week. Not sure if I will have a chance to install this weekend or not. The more time consuming part will probably be putting in the LED's not the board

#11 9 years ago

Good choice! I just installed one in Getaway, F-14, and Bride of Pinbot. Very straightforward directions and easy to follow. The results are fantastic. I also put a GI OCD in my Demolition Man which is another great product if your GI uses dimming effects. It was a little more of a pain to install because my backbox was so packed but nothing I'd call difficult.

You'll be happy with the purchase.

#12 9 years ago

Ive LED'd out my NGG and I've seen no (negative) issues.

i think this game lends itself particularly well to the LED treatment.

#13 9 years ago

Just installed my OCD, all inserts are comet 2smd frosted and it looks great !!

It's a little bright so going to tweak with the OCD

Just a side note install is easy, by far the hardest part is finding a good place for and attaching the boards !

#15 9 years ago

Did you get the OCD for the GI also or just for the inserts? Debating whether I need the GI one too. My issue with LEDs was the strobe.

I bought the OCD boards a year or so ago for my NGG and TZ but have been too lazy to install them and LEDs. I hope the boards don't have any issues.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I bought the OCD boards a year or so ago for my NGG and TZ but have been too lazy to install them and LEDs. I hope the boards don't have any issues.

Get on it! Once you go OCD you won't ever go back... I've got about 10 so far and zero issues so I wouldn't worry about that.

#17 9 years ago

The Comet OP-Max LEDs are pretty sweet. I use them in different applications, from inserts to spotlights. Great LEDs that I have never noticed any flickering from. So I highly recommend them.

As for Herg's board, Comet carries them as well and I bought 2. The board is simply AMAZING! It is so well thought out, laid out, and designed. Takes ten minutes to install and with the great directions Herg provides you can't mess up. I can't highly recommend the LED OCD board enough. WELL worth the money. They've taken my WOF and South Park to a whole new level of awesome!

Thanks for all the hard work you put into these boards Herg I Love em!

#18 9 years ago

I only got the Inserts, for GI I have 100% Optix Maximus . I see no strobe with dimming turned off, with dimming on you will see flicker in a few spots. multiball start, short circuit and maybe one other mode. Frankly it looks good for short circuit I want to get GI OCD too, but not sure it's used enough in NGG to warrant.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lenexa, KS
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-or-no-flixult-optix-for-ngg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.