• LED OCD with cheap LEDs 3 votes
    33%
  • Straight non-ghosting LEDs 2 votes
    22%
  • 47 lamps 4 votes
    44%

(9 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

I'm trying to justify spending ~$200 to convert a very rough project F-14 to full insert LEDs using $0.39 LEDs from Pinball Life and an LED OCD board. Reason being is I know the inserts are very sensitive to heat on this game and lift easily. I initially thought about using Ablaze's cooler burning 47 lamps but even then, it's still quite a bit of heat, and the machine will be on 24/7. Only 2 or 3 inserts are actually lifted, everything is in better shape than average. What would be best here? As a route operator this is a big expense that will take months to recoup and I need to know if it's necessary to fix something that essentially isn't broke.

#2 10 years ago

F-14 looks amazing with leds.....personally I would skip the ocd and get the larger 3led bulbs or order from pinball bulbs. Sold mine that was full led and it is on route now, and the operator says it's taking in good money.

#3 10 years ago

If you factor in the electricity cost, for a machine on 24/7 it would be worth doing assuming you did GI as well. If electricity isn't part of the equation it would be hard to justify that expense other than for the sake of reducing machine wear. My son put full LEDs in a PZ for his 6th grade science project. We measured 1/10th the amount of electrical usage in attract over standard 44s/555s. YMMV.

viperrwk

#4 10 years ago

For a route machine, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a OCD, either.

I designed OCD to make LEDs look their very best, and while I tried to keep the cost low, it was not the driving design factor. I doubt you'd see a big enough increase in play to make the added cost worthwhile.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

For a route machine, I'm not sure I'd spend the money on a OCD, either.
I designed OCD to make LEDs look their very best, and while I tried to keep the cost low, it was not the driving design factor. I doubt you'd see a big enough increase in play to make the added cost worthwhile.

Maybe if you factor in the reduced heat on the inserts which would mean the game would look cosmetically better for much longer then the OCD with LEDs may be worth the investment.

#6 10 years ago

Color matched LED's on an F-14 look amazing. The blue arrows come back to life as do the red. You can also swap all the flashers over to LED as long as you leave the incandescent in the backboard and not have to remove your warming resistors as every flasher on the PF has a mate on the backboard.

I'll post a Youtube vid in a few.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Maybe if you factor in the reduced heat on the inserts which would mean the game would look cosmetically better for much longer then the OCD with LEDs may be worth the investment.

You can use LEDs and reduce heat without the OCD, though. For it to be worth the investment, you'd have to say that LEDs without the OCD would cause enough LED averse people to avoid playing the game that the lost sales would outweigh the cost of the OCD.

#8 10 years ago

I guess the question is how will F-14 perform with regular cheap LEDs?
I have read several people comment on Williams games being unplayable with LEDs and no OCD.

#9 10 years ago

Mine looks great with Cointaker super's....
I am fooling around now with flex's in a few of the side GI's pointing out onto the PF

#10 10 years ago

Here ya go..

Oh yeah, standard CT and PBL Led's no premiums, no ghostbusters... If you get an error on the embedded vid, just click the youtube button and view it in youtube.,

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have read several people comment on Williams games being unplayable with LEDs and no OCD.

Take into account location lighting and clientele.

Cointaker premiums work fantastic, no OCD. The problem is the ambient light. If my ambient light is too dim, I will lose track of the ball easily. When I am playing the game seriously, I put the room lights on. Of course this is dependent on the individual, I am in my late 40s and beginning to get vision problems anyway. If the game location is in a very dark room on location, it may be beneficial to skip on the LEDs altogether.

As to what herg said about LED adverse people avoiding to play: A lot of folks are not going to know if the machine has LEDs or incandescent and nor will they really care. The amount of people that shy away for that specific reason is likely to be counter-balanced by the ones who get attracted to shiny and flashy, making it a wash - anyway that is my opinion. I love F-14 with LEDs, extra flashers because the over the top fireworks and 3 dome lights just are not enough, and subwoofer accenting explosions.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I just spent the money to get the cointaker non ghosting supers...

No OCD board. Never even heard of that. What the heck is that. lol.

Game looks amazing, plays great.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I just spent the money to get the cointaker non ghosting supers...
No OCD board. Never even heard of that. What the heck is that. lol.
Game looks amazing, plays great.

For a home environment, you should at least check it out. Non-ghosting bulbs still have flicker, though some people don't see it.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/altans-informal-review-of-led-ocd

#14 10 years ago

Well I'm thinking about noticeable implications of using cheap LEDs, including strobing (big one), and ghosting. Strobing for me is very noticeable and makes the game very hard to play, even in well-lit locations. Ghosting can result in specific inserts being lit when they shouldn't be, and in turn the player might think feature A is lit but really it's not. That sort of thing. And the game will be in a well-lit location.

I think I'll lean toward some non-ghosting LEDs, the cost of those would be significantly less than the OCD board (not to mention the additonal cost of the LEDs themselves). Any other ideas?

And Bakushan, can't believe you missed this...
http://ledocd.comuv.com/

#15 10 years ago

Why not get the OCD board, cheapo LEDs that it can use, and then if you need to also adjust the LED brightness down a few notches for a dark room you can do that too with the LED OCD software)?

When you're done with the game, pull the OCD board and use it in another, thus salvaging some of the cost.

The arrow inserts on F-14 will look sooo much better with the fade-in/out effect that LED OCD provides than with instant on/off "flashy flash" normal LEDs.

#16 10 years ago

Well if I get an OCD board it will stay in that game. I just really don't like straight LEDs, perhaps I'm looking at this too much from my perspective?

#17 10 years ago

OCD with cheaper LEDs...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

For a home environment, you should at least check it out. Non-ghosting bulbs still have flicker, though some people don't see it.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/altans-informal-review-of-led-ocd

You have to be aware of the difference between ghosting and flicker/strobing. Different LEDs types and manufacturers may perform differently in DC (controlled lamps) and AC (general illumination) circuits.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You have to be aware of the difference between ghosting and flicker/strobing. Different LEDs types and manufacturers may perform differently in DC (controlled lamps) and AC (general illumination) circuits.

I'm aware...

#20 10 years ago

Poll added!

#21 10 years ago

I've been thinking about a LED OCD for my F-14, not to eliminate ghosting, but to provide some of the ramping effects you get with regular bulbs. I did switch to LEDs partly because I wanted to preserve my newly clear coated playfield. I don't need heat screwing that up, even if it would take 20 years to do so.

I am excited to try the Opti Max GI bulbs that are no-flicker as well, for some reason F-14's flicker seems more pronounced than my NASCAR did. Adding spotlights to it powered by a separate steady DC source covered up the flicker on that one.

#22 10 years ago

Well, to properly answer the poll question, I would need to know the cost difference between the options.

#23 10 years ago

The cost difference is significant. I don't have an exact insert count or a shipping quote. I have decided to go with straight PBL $0.39 LEDs and if we want to add an OCD board later we can. This will allow us to take small steps and determine how much the game is going to earn instead of dropping lots of money into the project right away. Thanks for the input guys!

#24 10 years ago

Sounds reasonable.

#25 10 years ago

That F-14 video above makes my head hurt

The OCD board would correct that, I would get the OCD board. You can always pull it and use it in another game down the road.

#26 10 years ago

Please close.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-in-f-14-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.