20160116_123458_(Large)_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
LCDOCD_BreakoutBoard_Cradle_V0.2_(resized).jpg
OCD_Breakout_Board.jpg
IMG_0277-2000.jpg
image.png
IMG_0265-2000.jpg
IMG_0266-2000.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

Not to often that a product really impresses me.

I'm really glad you're happy with them. I've put a lot of work into them.

Quoted from sc204:

Now I just have to wait for the GI OCD boards to become available again.

They were out of stock for a few days while waiting on a cable shipment, but they're back now.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

I am sure this has been covered, but someone remind me if there are SEGA versions of these? Both the LED and GI ones?
Thanks!

Sega Whitestar can use the Stern LED OCD and GIzmo.

Older Sega games can use the Data East LED OCD. Some of them can use GIzmo, but it's on a case by case basis.

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

How much better do things look when you adjust the software? My TSPP and Ripley's already look SO much better straight out of the box, just waiting to borrow a windows laptop. Is there some sort of repository for specific game profiles out there btw?

It depends on the game, LEDs, ambient lighting, etc. Ripley's in particular looked a lot better after tweaking, in my case. I am going to start adding some settings to the program archive, but they are more like samples than something you'll be able to directly apply.

Quoted from Jared:

Outstanding mod. I love it. One not often spoken advantage of SPIKE equipped Stern games is they now offer built in similar LED control, allowing dimming without flickering etc. Pretty cool to see in a game like KISS.
There are at least 2 games now that I am likely going to get a herg board for.

A lot of the new games look great. Spike games, later SAM games, JJP, MMR all have good dimming of LEDs.

Quoted from thewool:

Is there any way to order these from the UK yet? Thanks.

You can contact Comet Pinball about forwarding them to you. Pinball Spare Parts Australia also has some of them now.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is this running at the new 1kHz strobe rate?

GI OCD is. The 1kHz code with an option for 50Hz power is the new baseline.

#55 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

IS there is only one board for SAM and Whitestar, thats all I see available for sale.
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=v5lb66iluhkulhd6k11l92kib3

There's LED OCD and GIzmo for Stern games. GIzmo is kinda like a dumbed down GI OCD.

Quoted from bstyles:

Have probably about 10 or so LED OCD kits for my games.
Will be ordering another 10 to complete the rest of the collection (as soon as I can figure out where to mount one in AFM since it has the Bill Ung saucker mod boards already cluttering the backbox). Couple other games like TZ and DM seem to have crowded overly-crowded backboxes as well.
And holding my breath for the Capcom product. Can't wait to get this in PM!
I agree with the OP that this is a must-have mod....
All my pins will have: ColorDMD, LEDs in Inserts & Led OCD
(and when the cost comes down and reorchestrations are readily available, every game will have a Pinsound as well)

The first small batch of Capcom are currently being built. I'd estimate mid to late January. I'm taking a cautious approach with them, so there won't be a lot of them in the first batch.

#57 8 years ago

so do I need to buy both the GIzmo and the LED OCD for a typical SAM system to completely cover all led's?

If you want to cover both the inserts and the GI, yes. Most people just go with the LED OCD (for inserts) and skip the GIzmo, though. Neither of them do anything for flashers.

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

GI OCD boards arrived this morning. More updates coming soon

That was quick! Go USPS!

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Would love this for my Twilight Zone but how can i get this when there's no shipping outside the U.S ?
Asked Comet pinball but they don't sell theese boards

In the past, Comet has allowed customers to buy from my website, have it shipped to them, then they forward it for a fee. If you talked to Art, however, maybe I need to stop advertising that.

Pinball Spare Parts Australia also has them available, but mainly on a trial basis, so they don't have many.
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/electronics/boards/ledocd.html

Quoted from Nepi23:

Quick question: I have installed Pinballbulbs' ultimate led kit on my SM.
I've heard that the leds do not work at all for the lighting on the middle, which
shows with the strength of the light, how many times I've hit the villain.
Would the simple OCD Gizmo work here for me, or would I need LED OCD to make
it work ok?

For the inserts on SM you would want LED OCD. GIzmo is only for the GI.

#78 8 years ago

herg, are there any LED's that we should definitely not get with these OCD boards. I did a few machines with the cointaker kits, do I need to change them after OCD boards are installed?

I haven't tried every LED that is out there, but in general, I'd say to avoid any "extra-special" bulbs. I've seen odd things happen with CT Premium, and NoFlix+ seem to be hit and miss. In these cases, it's just odd flickering, nothing that would cause any damage to the game, OCD, or bulbs. Regular non-ghosting are usually fine with very slightly higher minimum brightness.

I don't buy kits myself, but from what I understand, the CT kits are either standard bulbs or non-ghosting (if you pay for the upgrade). I'm pretty sure they're not putting Premium bulbs in the kits.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

No mounting hardware for the breakout board so I stole some from one of the other boards. I didn't like the breakout board just sitting in space.

That's what the big zip tie in the kit is intended for. If you can find a spot to screw it down, your approach works well, too.

Quoted from sc204:

I do see some flicker on illumination level 1.

That's fairly common when B1 is set really low and you're viewing in the test mode. In game, it doesn't stay at B1 long enough to see it. You can increase B1 if it bothers you.

Quoted from sc204:

I do see some flicker as the inserts come on not sure if that was there before and not seen due to the GI flickering or do to the change in delay settings on the LED OCD board?

That's weird. I wonder what's causing that.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

What would it take to build an LED/bulb tester gadget that would give us an indication as to the type of LED we have?

Technically, it wouldn't be too bad, but to make it accurately emulate what they would look like in a game, I'd need to generate 18V DC. Two 9V batteries would not be too bad, but they're not terribly practical. Plus, it would take time away from all the other stuff I'm trying to get done.

Quoted from sc204:

I was hoping you would tell me Only visible in slow motion.

It doesn't look like it's there in the first video (default settings). It's very unlikely that the GI OCD would do anything to affect it, so it's most likely something due to the custom settings; maybe a bug in the firmware, who knows? If it's only visible in slow motion, it won't be a high priority to fix, unfortunately.

Quoted from bstyles:

The one addition to your kit I'd really love to see is a plastic enclosure (aka "project case") for the OCD 'breakout board'.

That's outside my skillset, but if someone else wants to take it on, I'd be glad to offer it as an option with all profit going to the designer. I wouldn't want to have to increase the price for those who are not as skittish about the holes, so I wouldn't really want to add it to the standard kit.

#90 8 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

any thoughts as to why switching the power driver board could create this side effect?

I don't have any direct experience with Rottendog boards, but looking at the schematics, the main difference between it and a stock WPC board is that the Rottendog uses MOSFETs to drive the lamp rows. That in itself should not be a problem, but it does change the timing a bit.

#94 8 years ago

Yeah, let me know if you get ready to sell it.

2 weeks later
#102 8 years ago

Strings 4 and 5 are set to always on by default. This is to accomodate WPC95 games where there is no 4 and 5 control. They should be set to "Input 4" and "Input 5" when used in WPC89 games.

That is not the cause of SuperPinball's issue, though. SP, did you change those bulbs to LEDs? I see that you switched to LED, but I wanted to make sure the helmet lamps were included in what you switched over. If not, the fuse on the GI OCD is likely blown. The helmet lights use power from the GI, but they are controlled by an additional chase lamp board. That many incandescents pulling power through the GI OCD is more than it can handle.

If you DID switch the helmet lights to LED, I'm a bit stumped. You might need to increase the duty cycle of the string that powers those lamps. The documentation I have for BOP is a bit lacking in that I don't know how the GI power gets converted to be used by the lamps. The chase board is an array of transistors to GND, so the power almost certainly has to get converted to DC by the game.

#104 8 years ago

Just wanted to check to see if was a software issue before I began dissecting the machine.

Don't dissect too much before trying the duty cycle settings on the string that feeds the helmet lamps. That setup with the chase board is non-standard, and I haven't been able to test it myself. All information I have is second hand. If it turns out that it just doesn't work, I'll update the compatibility info on the website, and I can refund your purchase if you can't use the board.

#106 8 years ago

Voltages to the helmet were just less than 1V.

If I can up the voltage to the helmet string, this should work.

Technically, you're increasing the time that the voltage is turned on. The voltage remains the same. When you measure it with a DMM, it's more of an average, but even that isn't technically true. If you increase the brightness through the software, the DMM will read a higher voltage.

Is there anything else on that string? If not, you probably want to set it to 100% so that the input to the helmet lamps is solid DC. I say probably because I don't really know what is between the GI string and the helmet lamps. I would guess that there is a bridge to convert the AC to DC so that it can be switched by the chase board. If that's the case, yes, setting the GI OCD to 100% would be your best bet.

#108 8 years ago

The helmet lights appear to connect to a separate chase light assembly under the playfield.

They do, but from what is in the schematic, that only accounts for the return (ground) path. I can't find information on exactly how they get power.

#113 8 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

Comments? Suggestions?

Very cool. Are you working on this for yourself, or would you make these available to others?

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

Second prototype (v0.2) installed in my Popeye

That looks very nice. I'll send a PM regarding updates on the numbers.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm being super-nice to Herg because I sent him a friend request on Facebook and haven't heard back. WTF???

You're not missing anything. It's just pictures of my son that I get tagged on and an occasional time when I like something pinball related.

Quoted from ric9987:

wish we could get these in Europe.

I wish I could get them to you. It's complicated, but basically, I'm not allowed to ship direcly overseas or I would have to file a report for each shipment. This is separate from the standard customs forms.

Quoted from scampcamp:

Will a OCD board negatively effect a Ingo Twilight Zone clock board?

I don't think so. The only issue with the clock is that if they're non-rectified LEDs, the direction matters. I'm pretty sure Ingo's clock uses rectified LEDs, and as a result they work fine.

Quoted from akm:I hate to keep spamming my own OCD board videos (Sorry, Herg!)

No worries. I love the videos. ...and I'm sure you don't want a TOTAN, but I'd love to have that IM.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from akm:

If I was rich, I'd love to have a TOTAN!

It just doesn't seem like your type of game; not challenging enough. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm planning to move it out before RZ ships, and I had thought about doing it now and getting something new to play in the meantime. I know there are other IM machines in the area, but yours is extremely nice.

#137 8 years ago

Everything's in stock now, and for about the past year, I've kept them in stock. Early on, I did sell out pretty regularly, but I've been able to keep up now that more of the assembly is done by outside vendors.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Would GI OCD cause issues with this, especially if you have the GI brightness set lower? Or is that connection point prior to the controlled TRIACs?

It might, but I don't have a schematic of what goes on between the power driver board and the helmet power input. If nothing else is on GI string 2, setting the GI OCD string 2 to 100% should help as suggested in this post:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-im-sold/page/3#post-2897064

You do want to make sure you have LEDs in the helmet, though. Otherwise, you'll blow the string 2 fuse on the GI OCD.

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

I don't want to lose the light chase pattern in creature on the backbox. Is anybody working on a fix/workaround for that?

At one point, Bill Ung was working on a replacement chase lamp board that would be compatible, but I haven't heard from him in a long time.

One option for a workaround would be to split the power from the transformer, run it to both the GI OCD and the power driver board, and use the power driver outputs (normal GI control) to feed the chase lamps. It would be similar to what Patofnaud did with his STTNG.

3 weeks later
#160 8 years ago
Quoted from DrScoops:

I know that the recommendation is to use regular LEDs with this, but is there a specific brand/type that seems to work best or is the best bang for buck?

The 5050 SMD frosted are my goto bulb. I buy mine from Comet, but the other guys have their own 5050 bulb. Anything without the non-ghosting circuit will work best.

1 week later
#166 8 years ago
Quoted from neurokinetik:

I'll add to this the only exception I normally make, which is for orange inserts only.

Same here, although recently, I'm liking the 2-SMD 2835 rather than the quads.

#169 8 years ago
Quoted from oogiebooogie:

@Herg, you can put Shrek as one of the confim list.

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that's the first one to go to Singapore as well. Thanks to Comet Pinball for the assist.

3 weeks later
#174 8 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

still scratching my head over the 10amp main fuse blowing

How hot are the four bridge transistors getting? 10A 32V slow blow is correct. I could try sending you a replacement board in case there's something wrong with yours.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

How flexible is the "programming" on this thing, is it just LED intensity or can you trigger new/different lighting effects?

It's mainly just setting brightness levels, delays, etc. It's not designed to replace a PIG or anything like that.

1 year later
#181 6 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

In my Funhouse I have Coin Taker non ghosting premiums led's but notice (mainly in the backglass) slight pulsing. Is this because I need the led ocd board?

The backglass is GI, so LED OCD will not help it, but GI OCD would.

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Anyone out there I can send my led OCD board to to program it? It's for lotr Le. I'd be happy to pay for your time to do so.

What do you need done to it? If you're wanting customization, it's going to be really hard to get "right" if it's not in your game in your house.

If you just need defaults programmed, I could walk you through it, or even do it for you if you're completely uncomfortable with computers.

#185 6 years ago

There is no special LOTR program. The defaults that ship on it are about the best that can be done without seeing it in a specific game in it's environment.

Having a Mac does make it more of a challenge. You would either need to run a VM type environment, try the web server software, or find a PC to use.

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe the best way to say it would be that it's plug and play, but you can also tweak it if you choose to. It would not seem to be necessary unless you notice a big issue or have a particular thing you want to happen specific to your game

That sounds like a good description to me.

3 weeks later
#193 6 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Perhaps this is a silly question... but does anyone happen to know if adding LCD OCD / GI OCD on default settings (WPC95) would make the machine draw more, less, or the same amount of power?
I'm just not sure I want to add any more mods that will make my machine more power hungry.

The difference is negligible. The boards themselves do use a little bit of power, but it is minuscule compared to how much power the lamps themselves use. The boards also pull their power from the same source as the lamps, so it's not like you're adding extra load on your already stressed 12V source.

On default settings, the lamps are very slightly dimmer and will use a small amount less power, so that also offsets the power used by the board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

£ 110.00
10,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 22.50
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 14.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-im-sold?tu=herg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.