20160116_123458_(Large)_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
LCDOCD_BreakoutBoard_Cradle_V0.2_(resized).jpg
OCD_Breakout_Board.jpg
IMG_0277-2000.jpg
image.png
IMG_0265-2000.jpg
IMG_0266-2000.jpg
There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

Not to often that a product really impresses me. In Pinball, Color DMD did when I first tried it on my Addams Family. That is what the DMD was meant to look like if the technology had been available in the 90's.
I always thought I would stay "pure" and not try LEDs on my B/W DMD games. STTNG, TAFG and TZ. Well having WOZ next to TZ made me wonder if LED's could brighten up the older game. That and we all like change once in a while, just ask my wife how she feels about our contemporary house now Black Friday sales with 20% off at Pinball Bulbs .com so I bought two kits one for TZ and one for TAFG. Learned a lot about LED's since then. Learned about ghosting issues, flicker, inability to dim GI, and the ghosting patch for B/W ROMs.
TZ with 9.4H ROMs already has the anti ghosting patch so no issues there. I do seem sensitive to flicker, sometimes even noticing it on my high end computer monitors, so I did see flicker on TZ most of the time. Only noticed it sometimes on the GI but of course had to turn off GI dimming. Didn't realize I would have to do that till after I bought the LEDs.

Even with the issues though I really liked the brightness, and insert colors with the Pinballbulbs kit. Game still looked good.

Read the accolades and watched the videos on games with LED OCD and tried making my own with an IPhone 6 in slo motion mode. Holy S#!^ If you have an IPhone give this a try the flicker is crazy. So I decided to purchase a couple of the LED OCD boards. (GI OCD boards were out of stock)
Really top quality looking product, No issues with quality at all. Installed pretty easily with the main board upper right of the back box and breakout board on the bottom just below the matrix connectors.

Turned it on and no flicker in fact attract modes looked perfect. Software installed pretty easily on my laptop and connected to the board on the second try. I had to make a few adjustments. The bulbs in the start button and extra bulb are incandescent and I changed the delay to 1 on the 2 profiles I used 7 everywhere except for the Piano and Slot Machine colored LED's where I used 5. With the stock delay at 3 attract mode was fine but during the game the door panels did not flash as expected. Improved at 1 and 0 delay, left it at 1 for now.

Slow motion Video is not great, sorry, but you can see where I switched from bypass to LED OCD board controlled at about 44 seconds. Now the flicker you see is just in the GI. The software has this bypass setting so you can see how it is changing things.

Now I just have to wait for the GI OCD boards to become available again.

IMG_0266-2000.jpgIMG_0266-2000.jpg

IMG_0265-2000.jpgIMG_0265-2000.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Slo motion video taken with an IPhone 6
LED OCD turned on at about 44 seconds
GI still flickers.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

Not to often that a product really impresses me.

I'm really glad you're happy with them. I've put a lot of work into them.

Quoted from sc204:

Now I just have to wait for the GI OCD boards to become available again.

They were out of stock for a few days while waiting on a cable shipment, but they're back now.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'm really glad you're happy with them. I've put a lot of work into them.

They were out of stock for a few days while waiting on a cable shipment, but they're back now.

Ok sure, you want more money from me already. ........................

OK

#5 8 years ago

That video does a lot of convincing for me.. impressive!

#6 8 years ago

Wow!!! That was an impressive difference!!!

Now I'm very strongly considering getting them for my two games.

#7 8 years ago

I am sure this has been covered, but someone remind me if there are SEGA versions of these? Both the LED and GI ones?

Thanks!

#8 8 years ago

How much better do things look when you adjust the software? My TSPP and Ripley's already look SO much better straight out of the box, just waiting to borrow a windows laptop. Is there some sort of repository for specific game profiles out there btw?

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

How much better do things look when you adjust the software? My TSPP and Ripley's already look SO much better straight out of the box, just waiting to borrow a windows laptop. Is there some sort of repository for specific game profiles out there btw?

From what I have read settings can vary based on which LEDs you use. I also though it looked great with stock settings but noticed the door panel inserts were not flashing to the extent I thought they should and did with original lighting or with LED OCD off. Reducing the delay to 1 from 3 fixed it. Funny though in attract mode everything looked good. But having said that I would also like to know what other people have found with my specific games as well.

#10 8 years ago

I put both LED and GI OCD boards in all my games. I find with the right bulbs and these boards you can almost match the look and feel of incandescent. Highly recommended for those on the fence willing to spend the money.

#11 8 years ago

LED OCD is a must have mod. It's in all of my games.

#12 8 years ago

Glad I don't see things in apple slow motion.

#13 8 years ago

Outstanding mod. I love it. One not often spoken advantage of SPIKE equipped Stern games is they now offer built in similar LED control, allowing dimming without flickering etc. Pretty cool to see in a game like KISS.

There are at least 2 games now that I am likely going to get a herg board for.

#14 8 years ago

Cool thanks! After months of play without an LED OCD, they both look so amazing now even on default settings... it's like magic. If something bugs me down the line or i get bored I'll mess around then. It's a pretty great testament to the ingenuity of the product that even without tweaking a thing it just works. Gonna have to pony up for the LED as well as GI for White Water I think. I pray to God I never get tired of that game and have to sell, that thing just FEASTS on cash and there's no way I'm getting most of it back haha. (I regret nothing!)

#15 8 years ago

Is there any way to order these from the UK yet? Thanks.

#16 8 years ago

That video might be the best demo yet of what LED OCD does. Just need to get that GI shored up and then make another video showing the difference between bypass and regular modes.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

That video might be the best demo yet of what LED OCD does. Just need to get that GI shored up and then make another video showing the difference between bypass and regular modes.

Ordered 3 OCD GI boards as soon as he said they were back in stock. Funny how I don't have LEDs in my Star Trek yet except for Green LEDs in the Borg ship. Guess I will be spending even more money.

But now I will wait to put the LED OCD in the TAFG until I have both boards to do at once.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from twitami:

I am sure this has been covered, but someone remind me if there are SEGA versions of these? Both the LED and GI ones?
Thanks!

Sega Whitestar can use the Stern LED OCD and GIzmo.

Older Sega games can use the Data East LED OCD. Some of them can use GIzmo, but it's on a case by case basis.

Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

It depends on the game, LEDs, ambient lighting, etc. Ripley's in particular looked a lot better after tweaking, in my case. I am going to start adding some settings to the program archive, but they are more like samples than something you'll be able to directly apply.

Quoted from Jared:

Outstanding mod. I love it. One not often spoken advantage of SPIKE equipped Stern games is they now offer built in similar LED control, allowing dimming without flickering etc. Pretty cool to see in a game like KISS.
There are at least 2 games now that I am likely going to get a herg board for.

A lot of the new games look great. Spike games, later SAM games, JJP, MMR all have good dimming of LEDs.

Quoted from thewool:

Is there any way to order these from the UK yet? Thanks.

You can contact Comet Pinball about forwarding them to you. Pinball Spare Parts Australia also has some of them now.

#19 8 years ago

I use them on nearly all of my route pins, and both I and the players love them. Most people can't even tell they're LEDs. In fact occasionally an LED hater will tell me how much they appreciate me NOT using LEDs in my games, because LED OCD is so convincing. Just a fantastic product overall.

#20 8 years ago

I have been avoiding this product because once I get one board to try it I know I will have to have them for all my games. The flicker on my AFM's GI with the LEDs is pretty bad. Does one board do both GI and inserts or is it 2 different boards ?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I have been avoiding this product because once I get one board to try it I know I will have to have them for all my games. The flicker on my AFM's GI with the LEDs is pretty bad. Does one board do both GI and inserts or is it 2 different boards ?

two boards. one for GI, and one for the inserts. Herg has stated that combining the two into a single board wouldn't save much cost or space, unfortunately.

#23 8 years ago

I'm sold, does anyone have a link where I can buy these amazing boards?

#26 8 years ago

Also a heads up for Data East owners. Last I checked there was no GI OCD board available for Data East games but there is another option available that basically does the same thing...

https://sites.google.com/site/energimaestro/

#27 8 years ago

Is this running at the new 1kHz strobe rate?

#28 8 years ago

I'm confused. So I spent about $200 each for LED'S from Coin Taker for my Terminator 2, Funhouse, Shaq Attaq & Twilight Zone to make it look great & still need to spend $150 more?

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Is this running at the new 1kHz strobe rate?

GI OCD is. The 1kHz code with an option for 50Hz power is the new baseline.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I'm confused. So I spent about $200 each for LED'S from Coin Taker for my Terminator 2, Funhouse, Shaq Attaq & Twilight Zone to make it look great & still need to spend $150 more?

Correct. And it's worth every damn cent.

#31 8 years ago

By the way...can we please stop talking about how great LED OCD is? These things are going to sell out and I have to get three in the next couple months.

Herg...you better start restocking!

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Try it on one to see if it makes a big enough difference for you. I have LEDOCD on both of my working games. It truly is a miracle product that makes LEDs shine.

#33 8 years ago

Thanks just bought 3 boards

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

OK

Quoted from sc204:

OK

Your city brings back old memories. Indeed a city with a history of video. Are they stikl around (hauppage) or are they gone as in, bought out or bk?

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

No actually you need to spend $300 more for each game. You need both the GI OCD and the LED OCD
So yes putting LEDs on a DMD game is going to cost $450 to $500 to really do it right. Obviously you better like the game and plan on keeping it around for a while.
I would also say that just the LEDs with the ghosting patch ROM fix as is on TZ 9.4H looked pretty good. But it looks a whole lot better with the OCD. Just saying you can still do LEDs and like it without the OCD board.

Just got tracking for my GI OCD boards and can't wait to put them in

And Herg I think you owe me a discount for all the boards I just sold for you!

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from FrostyMug:

Your city brings back old memories. Indeed a city with a history of video. Are they stikl around (hauppage) or are they gone as in, bought out or bk?

Sorry you lost me on this one?

#37 8 years ago

Turning of GI dimming? Is this feature on all WPC games? I never thought the GI dimmed, just certain inserts. I'll have to check for that adjustment on JD as a few of the LEDs I just installed strobe in the GI.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

Sorry you lost me on this one?

Hauppauge was a company that made TV tuner cards for PCs, "back in the day".
I didn't know that the company was named after a city, if that's the case.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Hauppauge was a company that made TV tuner cards for PCs, "back in the day".
I didn't know that the company was named after a city, if that's the case.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31

Thanks for the translation Chris.
Yes Hauppauge TV is a local company that makes TV tuners and capture cards for computers. And yes they are still in business www.hauppauge.com

#40 8 years ago

So do I understand correctly that you don't need the more expensive ghost buster type premium LEDS when you have these boards installed?

If so.. any reccomendactions on the type of bulbs to use?

#41 8 years ago

Befor GI OCD

After GIOCD

Before LEDOCD

After LEDOCD

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

So do I understand correctly that you don't need the more expensive ghost buster type premium LEDS when you have these boards installed?

Correct - the cheapest old LEDs will do.

I used CT Retro LEDs in most of my TZ - to keep it as factory-looking as I could.

#43 8 years ago

Apparently the non ghosting LEDs do not dim as well as the standard versions.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

In fact, the premium bulbs might not react properly. I learned the hard way the first time. Bought a complete Cointaker kit, and a couple bulbs weren't lighting correctly. Herg had to walk me through some troubleshooting--I put in a regular bulb and all was well. So you actually save a few bucks by getting the cheaper bulbs!

#45 8 years ago

LEDs are great at enhancing color and, when necessary, brightness, but they aren't perfect. LED OCD makes them so. It's the best mod you can buy. It doesn't really cost $200 for a full LED kit... I tend toward the cheaper 1-LED bulbs particularly in inserts to better match original brightness, the kind you can get at Comet for 26 cents each.

#46 8 years ago

I'm on the fence. Just wanted to be sure they will work with cointakers double led (as by stern default), the non premiums one.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

From what I have read settings can vary based on which LEDs you use. I also though it looked great with stock settings but noticed the door panel inserts were not flashing to the extent I thought they should and did with original lighting or with LED OCD off. Reducing the delay to 1 from 3 fixed it.

I have a similar take on it. On some fast-flashing inserts the flashing wasn't as noticeable because the dimming was slow enough were the LED would be turning on again before it could turn off. Changing the delay corrected that. At the time I was thinking it was due to the flashing speed of those particular inserts but now that I think about it I do have a different brand of LED in those inserts.

I echo what everybody else has said about this product. If you're going to LED a game putting these boards in make the lights behave so much more fluidly. It's almost a crime what LEDs can do to a game's intended lighting and this corrects it.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

LED OCD and GI OCD definitely work better with standard LEDs, as opposed to non-ghosting or premiums. the non-ghosting circuitry prevents them from dimming smoothly.

#49 8 years ago

I would love to see a comparison between the noflix led bulbs and the standard ones, and the noflix and the OCD. I was on the fence on the OCD board till I saw the video on Herg's site.
Until I can afford the OCD boards for my games, LEDs in my games are on hold.

Axl

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I would love to see a comparison between the noflix led bulbs and the standard ones, and the noflix and the OCD.

It's not even a comparison. The LED OCD upgrade is bigger than the incandescent to LED upgrade. It's hard to look at games without correct dimming effects now, they seem so harsh

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 12.95
$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-im-sold?hl=bitternerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.