Topic Stats

• 194 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ufiti
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

door_(resized).jpg
20160116_130827_(Large)_(resized).jpg
20160116_125953_(Large)_(resized).jpg
20160116_123458_(Large)_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
LCDOCD_BreakoutBoard_Cradle_V0.2_(resized).jpg
OCD_Breakout_Board.jpg
IMG_0277-2000.jpg
image.png
IMG_0265-2000.jpg
IMG_0266-2000.jpg

There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 3 years ago

I just can't imagine pinball magic without the dimming, the lightshow on that game is pure awesomeness!

#52 3 years ago

Without:

With:

#53 3 years ago

IS there is only one board for SAM and Whitestar, thats all I see available for sale.

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=v5lb66iluhkulhd6k11l92kib3

#54 3 years ago

Have probably about 10 or so LED OCD kits for my games.
Will be ordering another 10 to complete the rest of the collection (as soon as I can figure out where to mount one in AFM since it has the Bill Ung saucker mod boards already cluttering the backbox). Couple other games like TZ and DM seem to have crowded overly-crowded backboxes as well.
And holding my breath for the Capcom product. Can't wait to get this in PM!

I agree with the OP that this is a must-have mod....

All my pins will have: ColorDMD, LEDs in Inserts & Led OCD
(and when the cost comes down and reorchestrations are readily available, every game will have a Pinsound as well)

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

IS there is only one board for SAM and Whitestar, thats all I see available for sale.
http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=v5lb66iluhkulhd6k11l92kib3

There's LED OCD and GIzmo for Stern games. GIzmo is kinda like a dumbed down GI OCD.

Quoted from bstyles:

Have probably about 10 or so LED OCD kits for my games.
Will be ordering another 10 to complete the rest of the collection (as soon as I can figure out where to mount one in AFM since it has the Bill Ung saucker mod boards already cluttering the backbox). Couple other games like TZ and DM seem to have crowded overly-crowded backboxes as well.
And holding my breath for the Capcom product. Can't wait to get this in PM!
I agree with the OP that this is a must-have mod....
All my pins will have: ColorDMD, LEDs in Inserts & Led OCD
(and when the cost comes down and reorchestrations are readily available, every game will have a Pinsound as well)

The first small batch of Capcom are currently being built. I'd estimate mid to late January. I'm taking a cautious approach with them, so there won't be a lot of them in the first batch.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

There's LED OCD and GIzmo for Stern games. GIzmo is kinda like a dumbed down GI OCD.

so do I need to buy both the GIzmo and the LED OCD for a typical SAM system to completely cover all led's?

#57 3 years ago

so do I need to buy both the GIzmo and the LED OCD for a typical SAM system to completely cover all led's?

If you want to cover both the inserts and the GI, yes. Most people just go with the LED OCD (for inserts) and skip the GIzmo, though. Neither of them do anything for flashers.

#58 3 years ago

Thanks herg, the Williams boards version seemed straight forward to order the 2 boards but I got a little confused ordering the SAM versions, I got only the LED OCD thinking it was either that or the GIzmo. Looks like I'm going to be getting a GIzmo as well.

#59 3 years ago

I have an OCD in Avatar LE, T3 and NASCAR, the inserts looked like pure CRAP with leds. I put the OCD boards in and they totally cured all the problems and that was with the out of box settings. The fades and sweep patterns are perfect now. Worth every penny.

#60 3 years ago

OCD boards rule!!image.png

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

LEDs are great at enhancing color and, when necessary, brightness, but they aren't perfect. LED OCD makes them so. It's the best mod you can buy. It doesn't really cost $200 for a full LED kit... I tend toward the cheaper 1-LED bulbs particularly in inserts to better match original brightness, the kind you can get at Comet for 26 cents each.

I agree. Comet 1 SMD + LED OCD is a match made in heaven. You cannot go wrong.

#62 3 years ago

@Crash, that looks awsome!

Axl

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

The original post was talking about the flat top single LED bulbs. I think there's a reasonable difference between the $0.26 cheapo LEDs and the 1SMD 5050 bulbs (~$0.65). I personally pull all of the non-SMD LED bulbs from any game I buy and install SMD bulbs.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

The original post was talking about the flat top single LED bulbs. I think there's a reasonable difference between the $0.26 cheapo LEDs and the 1SMD 5050 bulbs (~$0.65). I personally pull all of the non-SMD LED bulbs from any game I buy and install SMD bulbs.

I do the same. The single LED bulbs are not to my liking at all. SMD gives off more of a glow.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

How about the 2 SMD lamps? Same price as the single SMD but claim to be brighter. I believe these are the stock lamps that Stern uses in their games right now and think it looks good. Too bright?

#66 3 years ago

I honestly can't tell the difference. It's the same bulb size. There are two smaller SMD in one and a larger SMD in the other, or at least that's the way it looks to me. The advantage as far as I can tell with the two SMD is if one of the SMD dies you still have one to provide light. I use 1 SMD and I find them plenty bright. Where's Art when we need him?

#67 3 years ago

GI OCD boards arrived this morning. More updates coming soon

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

There are two smaller SMD in one and a larger SMD in the other, or at least that's the way it looks to me.

Yup. Two SMD lamp has two 2835 (2.8 mm x 3.5 mm). One SMD lamp is a single 5050 (5.0 mm x 5.0 mm). Comparisons are easier now that I know those numbers are sizes.

#69 3 years ago

I'm not sure I've seen anyone dissatisfied with how LED OCD works. Considering people will pay $100 for a couple of stickers, LED OCD is a bargain.

As mentioned here, the actual cost of LED OCD is somewhat offset by the fact that you would buy regular LED's rather than non-ghosting LED's. For example, 100 "ghosting" LED's is $59 (http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-smd.htm), but 100 non-ghosting LED's is $79 (http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-1smdng.htm).

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

GI OCD boards arrived this morning. More updates coming soon

That was quick! Go USPS!

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That was quick! Go USPS!

Yeah, Herg...I'm not really sure what kind of deal with the devil (or USPS) you have, but every time I've ordered boards from you, I've literally gotten the "shipped" email hours before it showed up on my doorstep. I wish I had an in at the post office. My stuff takes a month to get delivered...

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

How about the 2 SMD lamps? Same price as the single SMD but claim to be brighter. I believe these are the stock lamps that Stern uses in their games right now and think it looks good. Too bright?

I have the 2 SMDs in many of my games inserts, I really like the way they make the insert "sparkle", like my Mustang and ST Pros.

#73 3 years ago

Would love this for my Twilight Zone but how can i get this when there's no shipping outside the U.S ?
Asked Comet pinball but they don't sell theese boards

#74 3 years ago

Quick question: I have installed Pinballbulbs' ultimate led kit on my SM.
I've heard that the leds do not work at all for the lighting on the middle, which
shows with the strength of the light, how many times I've hit the villain.

Would the simple OCD Gizmo work here for me, or would I need LED OCD to make
it work ok?

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Would love this for my Twilight Zone but how can i get this when there's no shipping outside the U.S ?
Asked Comet pinball but they don't sell theese boards

In the past, Comet has allowed customers to buy from my website, have it shipped to them, then they forward it for a fee. If you talked to Art, however, maybe I need to stop advertising that.

Pinball Spare Parts Australia also has them available, but mainly on a trial basis, so they don't have many.
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/electronics/boards/ledocd.html

Quoted from Nepi23:

I've heard that the leds do not work at all for the lighting on the middle, which
it work ok?

For the inserts on SM you would want LED OCD. GIzmo is only for the GI.

#76 3 years ago

herg, are there any LED's that we should definitely not get with these OCD boards. I did a few machines with the cointaker kits, do I need to change them after OCD boards are installed?

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

it work ok?

I've seen some other posts specifically about the controlled lamps in SM and which LEDs work well but I don't remember the specifics, might want to search the other LED OCD threads for it.

As for what LEDs do work well in general with these boards, I have used both (LED and GI OCD) with Comet's "retro" style LEDs and I really like it. I prefer the incandescent look so it's perfect for me.

#78 3 years ago

herg, are there any LED's that we should definitely not get with these OCD boards. I did a few machines with the cointaker kits, do I need to change them after OCD boards are installed?

I haven't tried every LED that is out there, but in general, I'd say to avoid any "extra-special" bulbs. I've seen odd things happen with CT Premium, and NoFlix+ seem to be hit and miss. In these cases, it's just odd flickering, nothing that would cause any damage to the game, OCD, or bulbs. Regular non-ghosting are usually fine with very slightly higher minimum brightness.

I don't buy kits myself, but from what I understand, the CT kits are either standard bulbs or non-ghosting (if you pay for the upgrade). I'm pretty sure they're not putting Premium bulbs in the kits.

#79 3 years ago

I've got PBL ghost busters in my IMVE and I'm thinking they may not be giving me a good result with LEDOCD. I want to try swapping out them with a regular SMD bulb but not sure what to go with.

#80 3 years ago

Herg,

What would it take to build an LED/bulb tester gadget that would give us an indication as to the type of LED we have?

do your thing to see if the bulb ramps properly or if it has the non-ghosting circuitry in it.

Many people acquire games with LEDs already installed so they don't know what type it is.

It's not like the LEDs have any part numbers on them....

I'd gladly buy this gardget (and it would double as a regular bulb/flasher tester too!)

-Brian

#81 3 years ago

GI OCD board installed in TZ this morning. Installation went pretty easy. No mounting hardware for the breakout board so I stole some from one of the other boards. I didn't like the breakout board just sitting in space.
The first video shows the GI illumination steps prior to installing the board. Level 6 shows the most flicker and un-viewable even in real time. The second video shows illumination steps after the board is in place in real time and the last one in preview mode with both boards active in slow motion. I do see some flicker on illumination level 1.
Unfortunately I must have one of the affected clock board replacements and will need to reverse the LEDs on that board. More work!

IMG_0277-2000.jpg

I do see some flicker as the inserts come on not sure if that was there before and not seen due to the GI flickering or do to the change in delay settings on the LED OCD board?

The DMD flickers in slow motion and you can see that reflected at the back of the playfield.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

No mounting hardware for the breakout board so I stole some from one of the other boards. I didn't like the breakout board just sitting in space.

That's what the big zip tie in the kit is intended for. If you can find a spot to screw it down, your approach works well, too.

Quoted from sc204:

I do see some flicker on illumination level 1.

That's fairly common when B1 is set really low and you're viewing in the test mode. In game, it doesn't stay at B1 long enough to see it. You can increase B1 if it bothers you.

Quoted from sc204:

I do see some flicker as the inserts come on not sure if that was there before and not seen due to the GI flickering or do to the change in delay settings on the LED OCD board?

That's weird. I wonder what's causing that.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That's weird. I wonder what's causing that.

I was hoping you would tell me Only visible in slow motion.

#84 3 years ago

Herg,

The one addition to your kit I'd really love to see is a plastic enclosure (aka "project case") for the OCD 'breakout board'.

As a collector, I cringe when I have to drill 4 screws into the bottom of the backbox to mount this sucker. Adhesive standoffs -- just as much as the adhesive might pull the paint off someday...

There's no need to permanently mount that board -- it just needs to be near the game's lamp matrix.

Injection molding used to be ridiculous, but 3D printing could perhaps allows those of care to spend a little extra to get what we want.

-Brian

OCD_Breakout_Board.jpg

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

What would it take to build an LED/bulb tester gadget that would give us an indication as to the type of LED we have?

Technically, it wouldn't be too bad, but to make it accurately emulate what they would look like in a game, I'd need to generate 18V DC. Two 9V batteries would not be too bad, but they're not terribly practical. Plus, it would take time away from all the other stuff I'm trying to get done.

Quoted from sc204:

I was hoping you would tell me Only visible in slow motion.

It doesn't look like it's there in the first video (default settings). It's very unlikely that the GI OCD would do anything to affect it, so it's most likely something due to the custom settings; maybe a bug in the firmware, who knows? If it's only visible in slow motion, it won't be a high priority to fix, unfortunately.

Quoted from bstyles:

The one addition to your kit I'd really love to see is a plastic enclosure (aka "project case") for the OCD 'breakout board'.

That's outside my skillset, but if someone else wants to take it on, I'd be glad to offer it as an option with all profit going to the designer. I wouldn't want to have to increase the price for those who are not as skittish about the holes, so I wouldn't really want to add it to the standard kit.

#86 3 years ago

2 hours later Clock was removed taken apart and the LEDs flipped around. I hate soldering surface mount stuff. Luckily no issues and now the clock LEDs light again

Herg, I will play with the LED settings putting them back to stock and take some video. I will let you know. I am pretty sure it was just the delay that I changed from 3 to 1

#87 3 years ago

Installed both boards in my TAFG. 3 videos 2 at standard speed before and after board placement and one in slo motion after board placement.
These are standard bulbs and there was a lot of ghosting during play. The LED OCD took care of the ghosting without a patched ROM.
Thing lights when using a color DMD board are not so good. (as mentioned on the LED OCD site)

#88 3 years ago

Herg, here's a question for you:

I ordered a LED OCD which I plan to install in my ToM soon.

Part of the reason for this is that I recently switched to a Rottendog power driver board (my original board is being refurbed). Since the installation of the Rottendog, I'm getting noticeable ghosting on the insert LEDs. With the original board (and 1.4H rom), I've never had ghosting issues before.

I realize the LED OCD will fix this, but any thoughts as to why switching the power driver board could create this side effect?

#89 3 years ago

Just got another LED OCD in the mail today. Not sure what number I'm on now. Seven or eight? Thanks, Herg, for making an addict out of me!

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

any thoughts as to why switching the power driver board could create this side effect?

I don't have any direct experience with Rottendog boards, but looking at the schematics, the main difference between it and a stock WPC board is that the Rottendog uses MOSFETs to drive the lamp rows. That in itself should not be a problem, but it does change the timing a bit.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Herg, here's a question for you:
I ordered a LED OCD which I plan to install in my ToM soon.
Part of the reason for this is that I recently switched to a Rottendog power driver board (my original board is being refurbed). Since the installation of the Rottendog, I'm getting noticeable ghosting on the insert LEDs. With the original board (and 1.4H rom), I've never had ghosting issues before.
I realize the LED OCD will fix this, but any thoughts as to why switching the power driver board could create this side effect?

Likely board issue - I run a PinLED WPC board in my TZ, and it had HORRIBLE ghosting and flickering issues - it even gives stock Led OCD settings problems! I had to use a really custom light ramp for it to look good in my TZ. So likely, different parts, timings, and how the board was made.. Stick with the one you're going to use, and then don't switch them out again.

--Me

#92 3 years ago

To those still on the fence, here's a video I just slapped together showing a before and after of the LED OCD and GIzmo boards. 60fps and some slow motion side by side comparisons so you can really see the difference:

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from akm:

To those still on the fence, here's a video I just slapped together showing a before and after of the LED OCD and GIzmo boards. 60fps and some slow motion side by side comparisons so you can really see the difference: ยป YouTube video

Nice IM

#94 3 years ago

Yeah, let me know if you get ready to sell it.

2 weeks later
#95 3 years ago

Just installed the OCD LED on my BOP and everything works perfectly but when I installed the GI LED boards, everything works except the helmet lights. Could it be that the boards don't support it?

#96 3 years ago

everything works except the helmet lights

Did they work prior to installing the GI OCD?
Are those lamps on GI?
Are those bulbs unrectified LED that are plugged in backwards? (if 555's turn them around)

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Did they work prior to installing the GI OCD?
Are those lamps on GI?
Are those bulbs unrectified LED that are plugged in backwards? (if 555's turn them around)

worked with incandesents before and I swapped to led and then I did GI OCD.

#98 3 years ago

Just installed the OCD LED on my BOP and everything works perfectly but when I installed the GI LED boards, everything works except the helmet lights. Could it be that the boards don't support it?

Use the software -- I think I remember strings 4 and 5 are set to "off" out of the box or something like that?

Also, try turning the bulbs around in the helmet. Polarized bulbs have to be in the correct way under GI OCD, unlike the stock setup. When Herg installed a test one in my STTNG, my shields weren't working. He thought his board had a problem, but eventually we figured out that all 6 bulbs just happened to be in backwards, heh.

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Use the software -- I think I remember strings 4 and 5 are set to "off" out of the box or something like that?
Also, try turning the bulbs around in the helmet. Polarized bulbs have to be in the correct way under GI OCD, unlike the stock setup. When Herg installed a test one in my STTNG, my shields weren't working. He thought his board had a problem, but eventually we figured out that all 6 bulbs just happened to be in backwards, heh.

Thanks Pezpunk, Maybe this is a software issue but I think the probability that I placed all 18 bulbs in the helmet backwards is 1 in 262144.

#100 3 years ago

Hey my chances were 1 in 64 with the shields, and I hit that jackpot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,200 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Upper Freehold, NJ
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 109.99
There are 194 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside