Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by alistaircg
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9b5_(resized).jpg
    3_(resized).jpg
    ledocdwpc_(resized).jpg
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would liek to know if/how wlel this works with the comet 2SMD frosteds I use in all my games.

Seems like you got some good testimonials in this thread already - but I'll get to try it out for myself in a week or two. My understanding is that it's a little less performant for non-ghosting bulbs. Other than that, there shouldn't be much difference between one style of bulb and another - they all get the same benefit!

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

I never, ever use frosted in inserts, so I can't help. The GI OCD though, work *fantastic* with the 2SMDs from Comet.

Same here.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I may be up for doing that although I think shipping was only around $8.

You guys should combine shipping, my shipping to St Paul was $15. that was just for one, it was over a pound that's why.

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

You guys should combine shipping, my shipping to St Paul was $15. that was just for one, it was over a pound that's why.

That reminds me that I need to work on the shipping tables. When USPS changed their rates recently, I tried to set it up properly, but I couldn't find a good set of rates on their website. MN is zone 9 from here, so you hit the highest rate, and it's not quite the actual one from USPS. That's more like 10.77 or something.

1 or 2 kits ship at the 2 lb rate, 3 or 4 kits ship at the 4 lb rate. They actually weigh more than that, but I use the regional rate boxes which are a kind of flat rate.

Paul, I'll check into it and refund the difference from actual that you paid. I'll also try to set up that automatic tables correctly.

Edit: Oops, MN should have been set to zone 5, and the actual rate is $8.15. I've refunded Paul and fixed MN in the tables. If anyone else thinks their shipping is higher than it should be let me know. I will review all of them and try to make any fixes myself, though. MS looks like another that shouldn't be in zone 9.

#55 7 years ago

Well thank you Herg that's very nice of you. I had the same problem with shipping my Leg Light-Ups so I said F it and send them with free shipping in the US. On your site can't you just have a drop down menu and the buyer selects the state and the shipping is figured? Or is it more complicated then that?

#56 7 years ago

That's great news on the price drop. I've been considering getting LED OCD for my No Fear. The LEDs not fading never bothered me until I bought a Game of Thrones. Now when I went and played NF, the LEDs actually bothered me so much that I went back to regular bulbs in the inserts. With this price drop, I think I'll now pull the trigger and buy one.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

On your site can't you just have a drop down menu and the buyer selects the state and the shipping is figured? Or is it more complicated then that?

I have to set them all up manually. First, prices for each zone at each different weight; basically, it would be the entire USPS priority mail rate table entered through a crappy interface. I can't just have it import from their CSV. I have limited it to 2 lb (regional rate A), 4 lb (regional rate B), and 24 lb where I'm expecting to have to refund the difference.

Then, I have to individually set the zone for each state, again through a crappy interface. To my knowledge, there is not a single definitive place for me to get a list of what states are in which zones from VA, so I used old shipping data and guesses to do a lot of it.

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I may be up for doing that although I think shipping was only around $8. I was planning to pick one up for my TZ but I know at some point I'll probably end up upgrading all 4 of my remaining DMD games. If we find enough guys to order 10 there's a small price break. As far as games in your collection I think LOTR is a no brainer since the fading and light patterns are perfect for it.-that's the reason WPT and WOF are so great. Otherwise I'd say TAF, TZ, really anything would be worthwhile!

LOTR is gone now. TAF has colorDMD now so that one sounds like it wont be a good candidate.
    TZ >> yeah... um I should set that one up and get it working sometime

#59 7 years ago

I already have LED OCD installed in MB & TAF (with colorDMD). They work great.

I just ordered four more. BR, T2, WH2O, and NGG are up next. Yay brightness!!

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I have to set them all up manually. First, prices for each zone at each different weight; basically, it would be the entire USPS priority mail rate table entered through a crappy interface. I can't just have it import from their CSV. I have limited it to 2 lb (regional rate A), 4 lb (regional rate B), and 24 lb where I'm expecting to have to refund the difference.
    Then, I have to individually set the zone for each state, again through a crappy interface. To my knowledge, there is not a single definitive place for me to get a list of what states are in which zones from VA, so I used old shipping data and guesses to do a lot of it.

I see.

#61 7 years ago

I put a GI OCD in my AFM a couple months ago and it might just be my second favorite mod right after naptime's clear drop target. It's one of those products you really have to try to realize how good it is. It made a huge difference toning down those bright LEDs and I was able to turn the backbox lighting all the way down and map it to one of the playfield GI strings so anytime the playfield goes dark, the backbox does as well. The quality of the pcb and wire harness is among the best. Buy with confidence if this is a product you are considering!

#62 7 years ago

An evil version of Herg could have easily marketed the design change as a reliability, heat, and footprint improvement and then marked it up $10, with no one the wiser.

I love my LED OCD.

#63 7 years ago

Has anyone used on a whirlwind? Contemplating getting this for mine.

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pmaino:

Has anyone used on a whirlwind? Contemplating getting this for mine.

I have one in my Whirlwind. My opinion is obviously biased, but I think it looks really good in there. I had a lot of flicker from the pre-installed LEDs when I bought it, and it looks much better after I installed the LED OCD. It's not the most dramatic transformation I've seen, but it really did help it a lot.

#65 7 years ago

Bookmarked

#66 7 years ago

I love Herg's original board, but haven't done a ton with LEDs.

What do people think of Comet's Supreme Brightness 5050 Bulb (http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050.htm) for general insert replacement?

I'm thinking of ordering a bunch for my LED OCD.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from altan:

I love Herg's original board, but haven't done a ton with LEDs.
    What do people think of Comet's Supreme Brightness 5050 Bulb (http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050.htm) for general insert replacement?
    I'm thinking of ordering a bunch for my LED OCD.

I use the 5050's , for me the 2835's are overkill (too bright).

#68 7 years ago

Thanks Herg, got my postage refund. You da man.

#69 7 years ago

Herg, you are awesome! Will there be a System 11 redesign as well?

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

Herg, you are awesome! Will there be a System 11 redesign as well?

The new System 11 kits are already using the new board. I do not have plans to create a different board that would more perfectly fit the System 11 since I don't sell enough of them to make it worth having an additional part number to stock.

#71 7 years ago

Cool! I quickly looked at the price and since it was still $149, I had assumed that it wasn't updated yet. I also noticed an option for a 3D printed bracket. Do you have a picture of that anywhere? Not sure if I should get it or not.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from steve1515:

I quickly looked at the price and since it was still $149, I had assumed that it wasn't updated yet.

Yeah, the System 11 price won't change unfortunately. It still requires a full set of cables. It does fit nicely in the bottom corner of the backbox, though. That leads to the bracket. Here's a link to it.
    http://ledocd.com/install_mini_bracket.html

You can add it to a kit order, but you can also download the STL file and print your own if you have access to a printer.

#73 7 years ago

Do you think FH would benefit from a GI-OCD? I'm definitely picking up an LED-OCD for it but the game's been apart for quite some time and haven't played it in months so I can't remember if there are any dimming modes other than when Rudy goes to sleep? Even then I think its only the lamp shade that dims.

#74 7 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Do you think FH would benefit from a GI-OCD? I'm definitely picking up an LED-OCD for it but the game's been apart for quite some time and haven't played it in months so I can't remember if there are any dimming modes other than when Rudy goes to sleep? Even then I think its only the lamp shade that dims.

I don't have FH anymore, but I had an ledocd in it and it was awesome. Works great.....

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from jints56:

I don't have FH anymore, but I had an ledocd in it and it was awesome. Works great.....

I plan on getting the LED-OCD for it but was wondering if it would benefit from a GI-OCD

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

I plan on getting the LED-OCD for it but was wondering if it would benefit from a GI-OCD

It's been awhile and I forget exactly how bad the flicker was prior to adding the GI board, but know it was smooth with no issues with it installed.

#77 7 years ago

Is an LED OCD board something that could be used/needed on a World Cup Soccer 94?

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Is an LED OCD board something that could be used/needed on a World Cup Soccer 94?

Could be used? Yep
    Needed? I don't really know. I've never owned one, and I haven't had any feedback from anyone on WCS.

Which reminds me... if anyone has used kits in games that aren't marked as tested on my website, I'd love to hear about them.

#79 7 years ago

I can chime in here about FH. Did my full restoration last year, and as you might know, Herg's LED OCD goes in all my games. I don't have GI OCD in the FH. The LED OCD looks amazing as usual, but if you really want to pay attention, there is flicker on the GI when it dims (and I'm using ghosting LEDs since LED OCD doesn't work too well with non-ghosting bulbs).

Is the flicker noticeable? Yes. Do you have to really look for it to notice it? Yes. Nobody who plays that machine comments on the uneven GI, and it really doesn't bother an anal guy like me. That said, I might put it in someday when I'm itching for another mod.

But there is a LOT of dimming...every time it's midnight!

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Any time your game's GI uses dimming, the GI-OCD is likely to have a noticeable improvement. In my opinion, it's more likely that you'll notice the improvement from the GI-OCD (smooth slow dimming) vs the LED-OCD (smother flashing inserts (in most cases)).

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I can chime in here about FH. Did my full restoration last year, and as you might know, Herg's LED OCD goes in all my games. I don't have GI OCD in the FH. The LED OCD looks amazing as usual, but if you really want to pay attention, there is flicker on the GI when it dims (and I'm using ghosting LEDs since LED OCD doesn't work too well with non-ghosting bulbs).
    Is the flicker noticeable? Yes. Do you have to really look for it to notice it? Yes. Nobody who plays that machine comments on the uneven GI, and it really doesn't bother an anal guy like me. That said, I might put it in someday when I'm itching for another mod.
    But there is a LOT of dimming...every time it's midnight!

Thanks Boob! I couldn't remember how much dimming there was at midnight and thought it was just limited to the lamp shade but now that you mention it the whole games does goes pretty dark. It doesn't make sense to cheap out at this point so FH is getting both

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Comet will be carrying the board as well! We'll have some of the new WPC boards, a few Sterns, and a handful of the GIzmos. Happy to ship internationally.

Ryan let me know that he added these to the Comet website this morning. International guys, go get them. I would have to assume that whether Comet continues to carry them will be dependent on how sales go.

11 months later
    #83 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I will not be able to sell directly. It's not my decision, but others might be a reseller at some point.

Hi, I am from Pinball Fundi in South Africa, and we would like to become a distributor for your products.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-for-wpc-new-design-and-price-drop/page/2?hl=pmaino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.