Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 84 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by alistaircg
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9b5_(resized).jpg
    3_(resized).jpg
    ledocdwpc_(resized).jpg
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I’m very excited to announce a new design for the WPC version of LED OCD. The new design dramatically shrinks the size of the main PCB to the point that it will fit where the breakout board used to be installed. This allows cables to reach directly, eliminating the breakout board and making the cables less expensive.

I’m passing the savings down to you guys. The new price for these kits will be $129.

The new kits and instructions are available on my website:
    http://ledocd.com/cart/

Thanks for all the support.

LED OCD MiniLED OCD Mini

LED OCD Mini in a machineLED OCD Mini in a machine

#2 7 years ago

This is awesome, Herg! LED OCD is fantastic.

#3 7 years ago

I use non ghosting coin takers. Will this work with those? Or does the non ghosting cancel out what this board offers?

Thanks!

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

I use non ghosting coin takers. Will this work with those? Or does the non ghosting cancel out what this board offers?
    Thanks!

It works slightly better with reguar ghosting bulbs, but also works work non-ghosting. The board does much more than eliminating ghosting, including smooth fades and brightness control. More information is available on the website and in multiple threads on Pinside.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

It works slightly better with reguar ghosting bulbs, but also works work non-ghosting. The board does much more than eliminating ghosting, including smooth fades and brightness control. More information is available on the website and in multiple threads on Pinside.

Hey there- honestly I've gotten a little confused by what I've read on the forum here and on your site as to how non ghosting bulbs would respond.

I'm very curious to understand would this add back in the smooth fades to my coin taker non ghosting by default? - or do I need to tweak ?

Ideally if I could plug play into my TZ, STTNG, TOM I would pick up a few- but I'm worried about spending that much w/o fully understanding.

If these could be plug/play- and give me back the smooth fades w/o tweaking I'll give one a shot on STTNG first and go from there. That's my primary interest. I think they did a good job with the LEDs on my MMR and want to use your board on my others for a similar look. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

#7 7 years ago

For best results, do NOT USE non-ghosting bulbs.

Use the el-cheapo bulbs. The GI OCD handled all the ghosting/flickering itself, as well as adding the other incandescent-like effects. (Cool off/warm up fading.)

Non-ghosting bulbs WILL WORK - but you're essentially having the bulbs try to non-ghost a signal that already non-ghosted, and it will affect (minutely or hugely, based on ramping effects from the OCD and the bulb) the ramp-up/cool off fading of the bulbs.

The board will work plug-and-play, but there's a 99% chance you will want to modify the settings to your liking.

#8 7 years ago

This is fantastic. Thank you for continuing to improve and innovate! I'm getting close to installing the experimental board in Black Knight and hope to be updating you soon.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

The board will work plug-and-play, but there's a 99% chance you will want to modify the settings to your liking.

I hope Coyote doesn't mind me saying he's one of my more OCD customers. Based on what I've seen, about 50% of people use the defaults without changing any settings.

#10 7 years ago

And if you could finally sell these new designs to Austria/Europe, too - this would be an even greater improvement!

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I hope Coyote doesn't mind me saying he's one of my more OCD customers. Based on what I've seen, about 50% of people use the defaults without changing any settings.

It's okay. I've *very* OCD when it comes to my lamps. It didn't help, also, that my PinLED power driver board was giving a heck of issues.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from ClarkKent:

And if you could finally sell these new designs to Austria/Europe, too - this would be an even greater improvement!

I will not be able to sell directly. It's not my decision, but others might be a reseller at some point.

#13 7 years ago

Is it really that difficult t sell to Europe? I bought from several US companies and had no big troubles...

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from ClarkKent:

Is it really that difficult t sell to Europe? I bought from several US companies and had no big troubles...

I wonder if he would have to get RoHS compliance to sell to Europe? That could be a big barrier to such a small run of products/sales.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from ClarkKent:

I really think it is out of Herg's control. Only tying together bits and pieces from various threads over time here, and I could easily be waaaaay off base here so apologies if so, but it might be a security thing. Herg's day job is classified I think.

#16 7 years ago

Bookmark

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

FWIW, I have this in my Doctor Who, and the default settings were perfect!

#18 7 years ago

I hope it will be available in Europe some time. Great product - I want one!!

#19 7 years ago

Mandatory on my games. The new design installed super easy!!

#20 7 years ago

Congrats and bump for a great product!

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from ClarkKent:

I hope it will be available in Europe some time. Great product - I want one!!

Could you not get a friend in the U.S. to buy it and send to you as a "gift"? I know you'd have to deal with customs and such still and I'll admit I've never attempted it but it seems like it might be an option.

#22 7 years ago

Will a new version of GI OCD be released soon? Great products!

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

Will a new version of GI OCD be released soon? Great products!

No major updates are planned. Next time I have GI OCD boards made, I will probably change the surface mount USB connector to the through hole one used on the LED OCD Mini, though.

#24 7 years ago

Man, don't share your business model with Stern. They might actually emulate your model and pass their savings onto the community.

9b5_(resized).jpg9b5_(resized).jpg

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Man, don't share your business model with Stern. They might actually emulate your model and pass their savings onto the community.

I'm really a pretty terrible businessman. I'm an Engineer at heart, and I only got forced into business to be able to share these kits with the pinball community. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doing it as a charity, but I really try to base prices on cost, not on what the market will bear.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

but others might be a reseller at some point.

*raises hand*

Just talked to Herg, Comet will be carrying the board as well! We'll have some of the new WPC boards, a few Sterns, and a handful of the GIzmos. Happy to ship internationally.

#28 7 years ago

I like this revision, mostly because the two games I want to put these in are already all LED so the price and size drop works for me. It only doesn't if you still have some incandescents in there....

Expect an order soon.

PS: A version of this that would work in Pin2k would be really cool too, especially if it could "trick" the driver board so it doesn't complain in diags.... The only place that I've found that strobing is really bad on Pin2k is the ship on SW:E1 in attract mode, but there it's kinda ugly.... and if I put LEDs in GI I get a credit dot (oddly enough, *not* when I change out the controlled lamps!)

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Tickerguy:

It only doesn't if you still have some incandescents in there

Some will still work, but I'm not sure how many; I haven't had time to test that yet. I have the fuse set artificially low to protect the transistors, but if you know what you're doing, you can increase it.

Quoted from Tickerguy:

A version of this that would work in Pin2k would be really cool too, especially if it could "trick" the driver board so it doesn't complain in diags

If I had the time and access to a game, I'm sure the basic version could get done. As far as faking the diagnostics, I'm not sure how much current you'd have to pull to make it think the bulbs were good. You'd be wasting power and generating heat in order to do it.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Some will still work, but I'm not sure how many; I haven't had time to test that yet. I have the fuse set artificially low to protect the transistors, but if you know what you're doing, you can increase it.

For my GI OCD, I have a few incandescents in my strings. The most in a string that I have - and no problems - is 4. So, I can vouch you're good up to at least 4 incandescents. (555s, not 44s or 47s.)

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

If I had the time and access to a P2K game, I'm sure the basic version could get done.

I ordered two of the new design LED OCD for WPC today. I would definitely order two for P2K if you offer a version for it. I put LEDs in RFM already and most modes look okay, but there are a few places OCD would definitely help. SW:E1 is the only pin in my game room without LEDs, because it looks to me like it would flicker badly with LEDs in place of incandescents.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

For my GI OCD, I have a few incandescents in my strings. The most in a string that I have - and no problems - is 4. So, I can vouch you're good up to at least 4 incandescents. (555s, not 44s or 47s.)

Yeah, but those are different transistors. The limit on GI OCD is the bridge. The transistors themselves, which are big through hole guys, could easily handle an entire string.

The transistors on the LED OCD Mini are tiny surface mount ones, and they will handle much less current. I did test shorting them like would happen if you installed a shorted bulb, and they survived that. Supplying 8 incandescent bulbs (a single row or column) would be a different task, though.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Yeah, but those are different transistors. The limit on GI OCD is the bridge. The transistors themselves, which are big through hole guys, could easily handle an entire string.
    The transistors on the LED OCD Mini are tiny surface mount ones, and they will handle much less current. I did test shorting them like would happen if you installed a shorted bulb, and they survived that. Supplying 8 incandescent bulbs (a single row or column) would be a different task, though.

Ohohoh, Apologies, I misunderstood!

#34 7 years ago

Impressive!

The price is SO FREAKING REASONABLE (in a sea of expensive stuff....)

Thanks Herg

#35 7 years ago

Regarding incandescent bulbs, I ran a test this evening trying to kill one of the transistors. I ended up with a column with all 8 lamps incandescent and ran it for half an hour, and the transistor survived. I still don't want to say it will handle a game full of incandescent, but I will say that you won't have any problems with a decent number. You would probably have to increase the fuse value, though.

#36 7 years ago

An incredible mod just got better. I'm just depressed now because I have 4 of them...the old, big ones.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

If I had the time and access to a game, I'm sure the basic version could get done. As far as faking the diagnostics, I'm not sure how much current you'd have to pull to make it think the bulbs were good. You'd be wasting power and generating heat in order to do it.

I don't know either. What I'd like even better is a way to do that in the code, but of course it's an open question as to whether the driver board declares them 'good' or 'bad' based on a comparator and binary output or whether it's actually looking at current drawn. I haven't gone through the driver board schematics far enough to figure that out.

The (sometimes maddening) thing with Pin2k machines is that a *single* GI bulb that is out will give you a credit dot.... but a game full of LEDs for controlled lamps does not, although they fail diags (obviously.) I had a very PITA-to-change GI lamp out on my RFM for a while and had the dot staring at me as a result..... and nothing else wrong with the game..... finally got irritated enough at looked at the dot that I tore it down enough to get to it.

#38 7 years ago

Wow, this is incredible news!

#39 7 years ago

OK Herg ya talked me into buying one for my BOP......well actually I talked myself into it.....but it's more fun blaming someone else. I've got one on Avatar LE and NASCAR so I know what they can do. Thanks for a much NEEDED product.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

OK Herg ya talked me into buying one for my BOP......well actually I talked myself into it.....but it's more fun blaming someone else. I've got one on Avatar LE and NASCAR so I know what they can do. Thanks for a much NEEDED product.

Works great in BoP

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from jints56:

Works great in BoP

If/when you update to BoP 2.0, let me know. I'll come over, we can do some testing, and I'll write some code if needed. P-ROC controls the power driver slightly differently, and I will likely need to make some minor changes.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

If/when you update to BoP 2.0, let me know. I'll come over, we can do some testing, and I'll write some code if needed. P-ROC controls the power driver slightly differently, and I will likely need to make some minor changes.

Sounds like a plan..

#43 7 years ago

the best mod in pinball gets better and cheaper.

amazing!

#44 7 years ago

This is the mod that inspired me to make electronic mods. Best mod by far of all. Will you be revising the Stern footprint, Herg? Any benefit in doing that? It doesn't seem to be too unwieldy in current form. But if you're on the road to retiring the entire through hole platform and going SMD fet then maybe Stern is next? I could probably buy another six of these through Comet, and the novelty (for want of a better word) of a neater, smaller version would get me pretty excited about pulling the trigger.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

*raises hand*
    Just talked to Herg, Comet will be carrying the board as well! We'll have some of the new WPC boards, a few Sterns, and a handful of the GIzmos. Happy to ship internationally.

I would liek to know if/how wlel this works with the comet 2SMD frosteds I use in all my games.

Any input from you or anyone that has done so would be greatly appreciated.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I would liek to know if/how wlel this works with the comet 2SMD frosteds I use in all my games.

I never, ever use frosted in inserts, so I can't help. The GI OCD though, work *fantastic* with the 2SMDs from Comet.

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

revising the Stern footprint, Herg? Any benefit in doing that?

I don't see a lot of benefit. In the WPC case, shrinking let me eliminate some cables. Stern playfield cables already connect directly to the board. The only way to eliminate more cables would be to piggyback it directly on a power driver connector, and I don't want to do that. The SMD microcontroller is slightly less work on my end, but not worth a board rev.

The USB connector might push me over the edge, though. The board assembly house never gets the through hole case pins on the old one soldered good enough, and I end up having to retouch all of them. The USB connector change doesn't force a board shrink, and the new Mini PCB is a 4-layer PCB, making it more expensive. On WPC, that cost is more than offset by the simplified cables, but on Stern where the cables would remain the same, it wouldn't be. It's a lot of things to consider.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I've used these in a few inserts in Stern games, and they worked just as well as my goto 1SMD frosted. I don't remember using them in any WPC games, but I wouldn't expect any difference in the performance.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I've got Comet 2SMD frosted in my WPT and WOF with LEDOCD and they look fantastic! I didn't even have to mess with the settings on the LEDOCD board to get them adjusted right. If you want to stop out and check them out let me know.

With the price drop and new small form factor of the WPC boards I'm considering buying a couple more boards! Awesome product!

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I've got Comet 2SMD frosted in my WPT and WOF with LEDOCD and they look fantastic! I didn't even have to mess with the settings on the LEDOCD board to get them adjusted right. If you want to stop out and check them out let me know.
    With the price drop and new small form factor of the WPC boards I'm considering buying a couple more boards! Awesome product!

awesome. If you want to conbine and save on shipping LMK. Thinking of grabbing a couple. Not sure what games for yet. thoughts?

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

awesome. If you want to conbine and save on shipping LMK. Thinking of grabbing a couple. Not sure what games for yet. thoughts?

I may be up for doing that although I think shipping was only around $8. I was planning to pick one up for my TZ but I know at some point I'll probably end up upgrading all 4 of my remaining DMD games. If we find enough guys to order 10 there's a small price break. As far as games in your collection I think LOTR is a no brainer since the fading and light patterns are perfect for it.-that's the reason WPT and WOF are so great. Otherwise I'd say TAF, TZ, really anything would be worthwhile!

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-for-wpc-new-design-and-price-drop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.