(Topic ID: 196858)

LED OCD and/or GI OCD on White Water (WH2O)

By zene10

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ledocd ex (resized).PNG
697592BD-4937-4E4B-BB79-F61C37C32046 (resized).jpeg
68375343-CA82-4F91-8BE3-CD8A3A3202CA (resized).jpeg
7A7EFFE5-132B-47F7-9A5C-C9F4D048583B (resized).jpeg
1C775127-4BEE-4EDD-8BE9-1AB10A23E08B (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

I'm considering using a GI OCD board on my White Water rebuild to retain the fading effects of the original incandescent lights. Also considering the LED OCD board.

Has anyone used the GI OCD board (and/or the LED OCD board) on their WH2O? Comments and especially links to video of the effects would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

I have both boards in mine and love them. When I originally bought the machine, I swapped in mostly LEDs into the GI due to bulb changes being a PITA among the other benefits. The dimming looked awful so I read up on it and ordered a GI OCD and, imo, it now dims like stock. The stock settings work very well, but its definitely worth playing with for some other benefits (like dimming the backbox while the game is on to reduce glare). Maybe worth noting that I do still have a few standard incandescents in the GI where the bulb filament is directly visible, but the GI OCD supports them fine along with quite a few Comet matrix strips for under-mountain lighting.

Later, I put an LED OCD into my LotR and, after tweaking it for a bit, was pretty amazed at what it could do, so I bought one for my WH2O as well. It doesn't make the inserts look exactly like incandescents, but it certainly is a massive improvement, particularly if you take the time to tweak the settings for your game/leds.

Sorry, I don't have any vids to show and likely won't be able to make any for awhile, but there are various ones for other games all over the web. imo, the effect, particularly for the LED OCD doesn't really show up on video as well though.

I'd highly recommend the GI OCD if you plan on keeping dimming turned on at all. The LED OCD is great too (particularly when adjusted), but for me it was more of a "i didn't think I needed it till I saw it in action" sort of thing. Hope that helps.

3 weeks later
#3 6 years ago

I had both in mine. LED OCD is a must for this game. Once you have that installed you'll end up ordering the GI OCD board. The effect isn't as dramatic with the GI board, but it's still very much worth it. Definitely read up on it and tweak it a bit to get the best out of your GI.

1 week later
#4 6 years ago

I have a LED OCD on the way. It is my first one to try.
I can install it in my Whitewater, Twilight Zone or Addams Family
They are all LED games. Whitewater does still have regular bulbs in the topper though.
Anyway. Which game would you guys pick to install it in?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

They are all LED games. Whitewater does still have regular bulbs in the topper though.

TAF needs GI OCD if you use LEDs in the GI. Multiball start and I think seance effects require it.

All games will benefit from LED OCD.

#6 6 years ago

I installed an LED OCD on my WW, actually mine was bought from the nice gentleman mentioned above me

In summary it's a massive improvement over standard LEDs, replicating incandescent fading. Plus you can play with the effects on areas such as the whirlpool.

I didn't go the GI OCD road, mainly because of the cost/effort involved.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

The LED OCD won't effect the topper. LED in the topper don't really work well.

I'd put it in the game you play the most.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

TAF needs GI OCD if you use LEDs in the GI. Multiball start and I think seance effects require it.
All games will benefit from LED OCD.

Yea. The plan is to eventually put it in all three as well as Stern Spider-Man.
Just wanted to try one out first to see if the wow factor is there.
Baby steps.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Yea. The plan is to eventually put it in all three as well as Stern Spider-Man.
Just wanted to try one out first to see if the wow factor is there.
Baby steps.

Yes, start out LEDOCD'ing Bally/Williams games. Much easier. Spiderman requires a little tweaking for the some inserts like the villians and white arrows - it's not painful, just more specific to your game and the type of LEDs you've got.

#10 6 years ago

di you have to use non ghosting bulbs as well as the ocd board in ww or Spider-Man?

#11 6 years ago

it's usually better to NOT use non-ghosting bulbs, because they don't fade smoothly.

#12 6 years ago

Got my board in and installed.
Installation was very easy and the instructions are head and shoulders above some other products I have installed.
However I would use the word underwhelmed to describe the end result.
Maybe I am just not OCD
But I can’t tell any difference on my Whitewater at all.
I did not hook the board to a pc and download anything to it though.
Could that be an issue?
I thought there was supposed to be a big difference right out of the box.
I did take a before and after video and can see no difference in them.
Not sure if vids can be posted in threads but here are my installation photos.
I even took care to cover up the ground strap and metal plate on the right with electrical tape so nothing would short out.

1C775127-4BEE-4EDD-8BE9-1AB10A23E08B (resized).jpeg1C775127-4BEE-4EDD-8BE9-1AB10A23E08B (resized).jpeg

7A7EFFE5-132B-47F7-9A5C-C9F4D048583B (resized).jpeg7A7EFFE5-132B-47F7-9A5C-C9F4D048583B (resized).jpeg

68375343-CA82-4F91-8BE3-CD8A3A3202CA (resized).jpeg68375343-CA82-4F91-8BE3-CD8A3A3202CA (resized).jpeg

697592BD-4937-4E4B-BB79-F61C37C32046 (resized).jpeg697592BD-4937-4E4B-BB79-F61C37C32046 (resized).jpeg

#13 6 years ago

Took me a minute to understand the benefits - you really need to have 2 games with and without LEDOCD right next to one another - then you'll see the flickering on the non-OCD machine far more . I can't unsee it now. But note that some people's eyes are more sensitive to the flicker than others ..

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I did not hook the board to a pc and download anything to it though.
Could that be an issue?

No, you will still get the benefits without needing to configure it. You might be able to make some improvements, but they would be minor. If you have non-ghosting LEDs, the improvements could be a bit more substantial, but still relatively minor.

Quoted from Arcade:

I did take a before and after video and can see no difference in them.

It's very difficult to see in most videos. The camera framerate, ambient lighting, etc. make it tough to record accurately.

You could try using a PC to enable the passthrough setting. That is the closest that you can get to stock without removing the board. You can also take the board out of the loop and go back to stock by replacing the yellow and red cables. If you still can't see a difference, you probably don't need the board. Maybe you're just not sensitive to the issue. If you want, return it to me, and I'll refund your purchase.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Took me a minute to understand the benefits - you really need to have 2 games with and without LEDOCD right next to one another - then you'll see the flickering on the non-OCD machine far more . I can't unsee it now. But note that some people's eyes are more sensitive to the flicker than others ..

For me it wasn’t the flicker, more the digital harshness of the LEDs turning ON/OFF. I’ve struggled with MET & TWD Prem/LE’s for this reason (can’t use LED OCD on them). Even my Iron Man Vault has an OCD board in it!

The difference isn’t “big” but it’s big enough for those of us with a sensitive eye for LEDs to really notice (and fit them in every game).

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from herg:

No, you will still get the benefits without needing to configure it. You might be able to make some improvements, but they would be minor. If you have non-ghosting LEDs, the improvements could be a bit more substantial, but still relatively minor.

It's very difficult to see in most videos. The camera framerate, ambient lighting, etc. make it tough to record accurately.
You could try using a PC to enable the passthrough setting. That is the closest that you can get to stock without removing the board. You can also take the board out of the loop and go back to stock by replacing the yellow and red cables. If you still can't see a difference, you probably don't need the board. Maybe you're just not sensitive to the issue. If you want, return it to me, and I'll refund your purchase.

Thanks for the offer.
I am not using non ghosting LEDs.
I do have an Addams and a TZ I can try as well.
The board was so easy to install I have no problem moving it over and seeing if there is a bigger difference on those titles.
I will try first taking the board in and out of the loop and see if my brother notices any difference as well.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

For me it wasn’t the flicker, more the digital harshness of the LEDs turning ON/OFF. I’ve struggled with MET & TWD Prem/LE’s for this reason (can’t use LED OCD on them). Even my Iron Man Vault has an OCD board in it!
The difference isn’t “big” but it’s big enough for those of us with a sensitive eye for LEDs to really notice (and fit them in every game).

Agreed. The on-off harshness was what the LEDOCD made the most difference with for me. For what its worth, I feel like I really saw a more substantial difference after I messed around with a custom brightness curve for each LED type. while there were some differences, across the board I noticed that a curve that focused on the lower end seemed to produce a smoother, more incandescent-like effect to my eyes than a purely linear one.

Something like this maybe (note, i just ball-parked this this from memory as an example, these aren't my actual settings):

ledocd ex (resized).PNGledocd ex (resized).PNG

#18 6 years ago

For me the result was instantly noticeable. I use Comet 1SMD bulbs in all my games with LED OCD boards. What type of bulb are you using? For me, I noticed that the LEDs were more fluid. The on/off harshness disappeared along with any ghosting bulbs under the inserts. Everything just becomes smoother. I would highly recommend that you download the software and tweak things to your liking.

For the GI board, I found the results less dramatic, but I really liked the versatility of the product and how it allowed you to tone down the overall GI brightness and once I played around with the settings I loved how the GI dimmed in game. There's also nothing better than setting the GI board to dim after a few minutes of non-play and standing back while a non-pinhead presses the START button and the GI pops back to life in front of them.

#19 6 years ago

the ghosting was a minor annoyance for me personally. when i saw the fade in / fade out, as opposed to the harsh binary on-off state of LEDs without this board, honestly that's what made me a true believer in LED OCD.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

For me the result was instantly noticeable. I use Comet 1SMD bulbs in all my games with LED OCD boards. What type of bulb are you using? For me, I noticed that the LEDs were more fluid. The on/off harshness disappeared along with any ghosting bulbs under the inserts. Everything just becomes smoother. I would highly recommend that you download the software and tweak things to your liking.
For the GI board, I found the results less dramatic, but I really liked the versatility of the product and how it allowed you to tone down the overall GI brightness and once I played around with the settings I loved how the GI dimmed in game. There's also nothing better than setting the GI board to dim after a few minutes of non-play and standing back while a non-pinhead presses the START button and the GI pops back to life in front of them.

Did not have time today to mess with it.
But I am running Comet Twin smd frosted in all my games.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 12.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-andor-gi-ocd-on-white-water-wh2o and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.