7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 763 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 123 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png
    LED OCD Ramp Example (Standard).png
    IMG_7520.JPG
    Hasselhoff-Drunk.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Finally, I have one in my Tron (Pro), and it's very close to finished. I have not yet looked into the list of other Stern machines that this will support. It certainly will NOT be useful with the newer machines that have LED boards with serial control, but I believe it will work with the rest.

0_0 <----thread stalker face

1 month later
    #43 7 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Super brights do work very well. Pretty much any LED without anti-ghosting features will work better than those with. Isn't that ironic? What happens is that the short pulses that are necessary to do low brightness levels get squashed by the anti-ghosting feature in the fancy bulbs.

Talk about irony.

Too bad I already bought premiums for Tron. I will still end up getting one of these, but have to dig through my money issues first.. go figure, we replaced both our cars this week, then find out my kid's knee is gonna soak up another 2000 bucks to fix. =|

Great news to see this working on Tron, and that cheaper LEDs actually pan out better for it!

2 months later
    #69 7 years ago

I gotta stop buying pins and save some money for these. Doctor Who and Tron would both benefit a LOT from one of these. =P

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Another thing I want to mention! You don't need to buy CT Premiums or Ghostbusters with Herg's mod. It does the job that they would. So consider the money and flexibility you save by just getting regular LEDs and leverage that against the cost of Herg's mod and its pretty awesome if you ask me.

It's a net loss. I did the math, but over time it will become LESS of a loss as you replace any LEDs that might die. There's about a 50-60$ difference between using single LED flattops from PBL and supers from CT for most games. I agree that if you're getting an OCD board, there's absolutely no reason to buy "premium" leds unless they have a color or lighting characteristic you like more. Flexibility in choosing your leds is through the roof.

I was a little surprised when I did the math, but then I remembered that it doesn't affect things like the GI lights... and for me, GI lighting and backbox is a LOT of bulbs. You still need premiums on those if the 60hz strobe bugs you. It drives me nuts.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

I didn't mean to imply that you would end up ahead, but rather that the money you save on not getting premiums makes the OCD cheaper in my eyes.

That's exactly how I see it.

I love the CT frosted for GI. When given the chance, I will absolutely not use ANYTHING else. I just put LED in all my GI for doctor who, but I can promise you, after TPF, every single one of those bulbs are coming out and getting swapped to CT Frosteds.... I already have had Stargate, Space Shuttle, Tron and STTNG with them...not about to stop now.

2 weeks later
    #91 6 years ago

Holy crap and I thought I'd done a fair amount of cabling selling my splitters.

/fail!

3 months later
    #128 6 years ago

Man, I can't win with you lol...

First you don't have Sys11 boards, then I sell my sys11. Then you have Sys11 boards, but I have a Stern and you don't have them. I sell my Stern I wanted them for, then didn't have any money when I got a game that I did want it for, LOL..... now that I have a WPC, you don't have any WPC ones. Doh!!

Anyone got a WPC one they decided they don't want?

#130 6 years ago

Yeah, I know lol. I'm working 147 hours this week and next, so at least I'll have money when you get around to running them lol.

3 weeks later
    #158 6 years ago

"I've also talked with a couple of other people about having one at various other shows, but it hasn't quite worked out. "

Well, I'm gonna have at least 1 WPC game at TPF....most likely 2.

#161 6 years ago

TPF ....

The 2014 Texas Pinball Festival will be held March 28th-30th at the Embassy Suites Dallas – Frisco Hotel & Convention Center in Frisco, TX.

1 month later
    #208 6 years ago

I can't wait for some more WPC boards to get made. Now that I have a TZ and a STTNG back....yeah.

#212 6 years ago

Signed up on the preorder page on your site just in case.

1 week later
    #228 6 years ago

I can't friggin wait to get these into TZ and STTNG!

#235 6 years ago

If you can see strobing at anything north of 120hz on the playfield, you need to go apply to be a fighter pilot, because the vast majority of the population can't. Personally, I can tell a noticeable difference in say PC game FRAMERATE up to 120hz or so, but actual flicker on the playfield or a monitor? If it's 75+hz it doesn't bother me at all.

#242 6 years ago

Viper, your first link is produced by a company that produces a "flickerless LED" bulb.. kind of biased. The second link says:

"This paper assigns no health risk to the biological effects
    of flicker in the various LED lamps. The hope is that by
    discussing the issue of flicker within the power electronic
    community, it will be possible to decide as a community
    whether or not standards or recommended practices are
    necessary. We do not attempt to do so here. However, we do
    offer simple suggestions as to what should be considered
    when designing lamps, such as flicker frequency, angle of
    viewing, task being performed, spatial distribution, AC
    dimmer flicker, etc. Further, it is not difficult to create shut-
    down or other safety prevention circuits that prevent
    flickering in the 3Hz-70Hz range when the lamp is in failure
    mode. This is the flicker range that has risk of photosensitive
    epilepsy for small minority of the population. "

3-70hz? That's a far cry from 200. They did go into detail about how flicker can still occur, imperceptibly, at say 120hz, but again... if you feel like you're suffering issues from any kind of lighting at 120-200hz, then I'd say you're in for a world of pain, very quickly, very soon. Incandescent bulbs WILL go the way of the dodo. Hope for your sake someone finds a viable solution before then.

My brain can tell a difference... I can watch those "240hz" TVs and clearly see a difference. It's not a difference I LIKE, mind you, but I don't get a headache or see any issues with stuff above about 75hz for me, personally. Flourescent lighting is far more annoying to me.

Anyways, sorry to hijack the thread with that, but I don't really think it was quite fair to use those two articles as reference to health effects of flicker when one is put out by a commercial LED producing company and the other specifically says that it was NOT attempting to even determine the health effects of flicker, but is more a general discussion of why flicker occurs in LEDs, and potential solutions to produce controllers that flicker at 120hz.

#260 6 years ago

"I'm close to having a proof of concept for GI on WPC machines"

I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE! Seriously though, if something like that became available it would kill on STTNG. I'd custom fabricate my own harness and mount that sucker in the cabinet if I had to, because god knows there is NO room in the head after installing the OCD.

2 months later
    #297 6 years ago

Hrm...I may have to scrounge to get the money for it, but my new game is going to cry out for one of these....but it's WPC. Craps.

#299 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Works with WPC I believe.

If he was making a batch of WPC boards...

#303 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Lol, a thumbs down honestly? Next time remind me not to give advice.

Next time try and make sure your advice is correct instead of just guessing?

If they're compatible, then why would he sell and market it as two separate devices? That's stupid. Why would he have preorder signups for two different preorders if he could fulfill the needs of a big enough batch to make it worth his time to run them if they aren't different PCBs?

1 month later
    #313 6 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Maybe this has come up before but what sorts of compatibility or problems can one expect on Tron with Eli's ramp mod installed?

I would hope none, since the ramp mod should've been designed to work with incandescent and LED... but that said sometimes there is wierd interactions between things so... yeah...interested in this as well.

2 weeks later
    #356 6 years ago

Ordered a Stern one for my incoming Met.

1 month later
    #375 5 years ago

You can move Jackbot to the "Frax needs some non-NON-GHOSTING LEDs to test it out with" column... me broke!

#394 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

You can move Jackbot to the "Frax needs some non-NON-GHOSTING LEDs to test it out with" column... me broke!

Hey, quick update on this, actually. I found out I have super early code on my game, so who knows what the heck the lamp matrix is doing on my game. Once I get updated code in there we'll see if that changes any of the funky-ness on my specific Jack-Bot.

#398 5 years ago
    Quoted from m00dawg:

I do plan on eventually getting a ColorDMD and I recall reading that can be a small challenge with all the things going on in there but I know it's been done!

I have the GI OCD, the LED OCD, and ColorDMD in my STTNG. I don't have speaker upgrades.

#400 5 years ago

I dunno. I have an external sub so I don't really feel like I need high end speakers to support a game with low-quality sampled sound....I can't even turn it up very loud to start with.

1 month later
    #475 5 years ago

I lub it when my lights be smoove. And dey ALL is smoove now.

1 month later
    #512 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Yeah, I traded the LOTR for it. Between family and OCD, I wasn't finding much time to play, so committing to a game of LOTR didn't happen very often. I was happy to see it go to a great guy, and I have had my eye on that RBION for a while now.

This is the EXACT reason I got rid of LOTR. There are times I wish I had it back, but I bet if I did, I would just have the same issue with it again...and mine was set up pretty hard.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside