(Topic ID: 29684)

FS: LED OCD - Eliminate LED flicker/strobe/ghost - Control brightness

By herg

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5703E8D3-F92F-45D6-B6F5-4CC9794E3587 (resized).jpeg
    F09AB0F2-439F-49A9-9CD6-95B2E440C3EB (resized).jpeg
    AA6FAB3A-28EA-422F-913F-939E053D861F (resized).jpeg
    20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#320 10 years ago

Has anyone tried the LED OCD board in The Shadow? Just curious if that's a game that would benefit greatly (I just bought one and am considering trying LEDs with it).

2 months later
    #371 10 years ago

I installed LED OCD in my The Shadow last night.

First, I'll repeat the refrain that it's an easy install. I had zero familiarity with the boards in my machine and was up and running in less than 30 mins. And a good chunk of that time was spent confirming that The Shadow is a WPC-89 (yep, it is). The pictorial installation guide on the ledocd website was perfect, and I was really pleased with how thorough the install instructions are. My only quibble with the instructions was that, while the text clearly advises mounting the LED OCD board so that the USB port is easily accessible, to my eye the picture showing suggested placement for the board could lead people to mount the board where the USB port would be blocked. In any event, I mounted the board in the far upper-right corner of the backbox and had no issues attaching the various cables, including the USB.

LED OCD works wonderfully with The Shadow. I installed my insert LEDs (frosted 1 SMD 5050s from cometpinball) a few days ago and was very happy with the increased brightness and color, but definitely did not care for the quick on/off cycling of the LEDs. After installation I immediately appreciated the slower, incandescent-like ramp up/down. That alone is well worth the cost of the board. Looking forward to playing around with the software a bit this week, and to adjusting the levels on a few bulbs that are brighter/dimmer than I'd like.

I would recommend this board set to anyone planning an insert LED conversion. Herg, I'd say you can shift The Shadow over from "should work" to "confirmed working"! Thank you for making an excellent product.

1 year later
    #735 8 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

apoligize if this is a dumb question, but does this make any difference during gameplay? Seems like all the videos are of attract mode.

Yes -- I imagine the videos are shot in attract mode just because it's a pain in the ass to try to record video while you're playing! Definitely makes a difference during gameplay.

#738 8 years ago

Has anyone made LED OCD profiles for:

- The Shadow
    - Judge Dredd
    - Sorcerer

I've been happily using one in my Shadow on "stock" settings the past year and a half, but since I'm getting new boards for my new games I thought I'd break down and use the game-specific profiles. But doesn't look like anyone's made one yet for any of these games.

Thanks!

#740 8 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

The data files that are included in the LED OCD software are simply mappings of lamp numbers to insert names. They help when you're setting up a game because you can change the Shoot Again lamp rather than needing to know that it is Lamp 35, for example. Those three games have not been done yet, but I can probably get to it this weekend. It is also simple to make them, in case you don't feel like waiting on me.
    They don't, however, have any special settings for a game. That is too dependent on what LEDs you're using, personal taste, ambient lighting, etc. If you're willing to spend some time changing these until you find settings you like better, I personally find it fun. If you'd rather not spend the time on it, the default settings really are pretty good in most cases.

Thanks! I can testify that the default values are excellent. That said I think I'm going to try tweaking brightness on a few bulbs and have some fun messing around with it. So if you're able to get to it this weekend I'll look forward to trying them out!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fosaisu.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list?tu=fosaisu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.