7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 763 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 123 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png
    LED OCD Ramp Example (Standard).png
    IMG_7520.JPG
    Hasselhoff-Drunk.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago

The side-by-side TRON before/after video really shows some of the improvements the control board provides. The LEDS look much smoother and natural like incandescent while having the vibrant color that an LED provides. Great job!

3 weeks later
    #24 7 years ago

Bump for those that have not seen this article in PinballHead:

http://pinballhead.com/led-ocd/

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

My entire Avatar was done with standard Cointaker super brights. Are these a good LED to work with, herg?

Hey Gweem, my understanding is that any common LED will work. We did it with my Ablaze ghostbusters as well and it worked great. I think what Herg meant by the 40% setting is that at about 40% power the Cointaker premium LED's will turn on and start to look reasonably good all the way to 100% power. Anything below that minimum would likely not turn on that particular LED type or would still flicker since it is so close to the minimum turn-on range. Each type of LED has a different power turn-on level. Also at that low of a setting it is probably not bright enough for anybody to enjoy anyway. I believe Herg found the minimum turn-on level for the ablaze was around 23% but I may have misunderstood him.
    One added benefit about the controller is that you don't have to worry about your LEDs being too bright like super brights normally are. You just use the controller to lower their brightness to the level that you prefer.
    I am sure Herg will chime in tomorrow morning with the correct terminology and details. I think he has tested the Cointaker super brights also but not sure.

2 months later
    #63 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Please post how it does with SM.

DrStarkweather, I think, can tell you about that.

1 month later
    #104 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Not an option. The LEDs he's talking about are not standard socketed bulbs.
    There is a comment on these about needing a capacitor for the rainbow ones. I wonder if the same capacitor on the solid colored ones would smooth the flicker.

Would it be possible to remove those non-socketed LEDs and mount sockets in place of them?

3 months later
    #133 6 years ago

Tron is obviously lonely and anxiously awaiting the arrival of Metallica.

1 week later
    #142 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Sweet. Just picked up a HUO RBION and installed CT in all the inserts. It definitely flickers, but only in the attract mode. I have all no-ghost LEDs, so I'm debating Herg's board (it works better without the no-ghost). It definitely makes a difference.

From my experience, the LED controller will work with no-ghost LEDs just as well as with regular LEDs. We tested it in my SM with no-ghost LEDs and it worked great.
    For games that don't already have LEDs, it is probably best to get a less expensive LED (to save money) that is bright and then use the LED controller to lower the brightness to your selected optimal level.

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

How well does the board work with a mix of LED and incandescent?

I believe Herg may have it set up that way in his LOTR. I am sure he will chime in either tonight or early tomorrow morning.

#163 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

DCFAN has played my LOTR, so maybe he has a less biased opinion on how it looks and works.

The LEDs blended in so well with the incandescent I had to question you whether you had LEDs in the LOTR except that I noticed the pop the colored inserts that were LEDs had. It looked great. I think I only played a half game on LOTR since I have one at home, but I can say that with the LED controller there is no strobing or ghosting whatsoever whether it is all LED or a mix.

4 weeks later
    #188 6 years ago

That was a really cool interview. Congrats Harold.

#202 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Well shit, if he already has three installed, I'll take a look!

I think Tad got the boards since his last pinball party so there is nothing to be embarrassed about. See you there tomorrow night.

#204 6 years ago

Kyle, have you ever been stationed in Germany? I think they are the only people that like Hasselhoff as much as you do.

#206 6 years ago

I am tempted to give that a tilt. LOL

2 weeks later
    #254 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

If you really like LEDs in those locations, it's probably worth trying the Noflix PLUS bulbs.
    http://www.pinballcenter.eu/english/videos/noflix-plus/
    Ordering them is a little more expensive and time consuming since they're not sold in the US as far as I'm aware. I've heard good things about them, though.

http://www.pinballdecals.com/OptifluxLEDPage2.html

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside