(Topic ID: 29684)

FS: LED OCD - Eliminate LED flicker/strobe/ghost - Control brightness

By herg

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5703E8D3-F92F-45D6-B6F5-4CC9794E3587 (resized).jpeg
    F09AB0F2-439F-49A9-9CD6-95B2E440C3EB (resized).jpeg
    AA6FAB3A-28EA-422F-913F-939E053D861F (resized).jpeg
    20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#171 10 years ago
    Quoted from Keebler:

It actually seems much more subtle in the videos... in person it's a very noticeable improvement, it made my Tron look way better!

Yes, it's really something that needs to be seen in person. It's great and I'm glad I've spent the time to perform and tweak the upgrade on my machine. It was well worth it!

3 months later
    #278 10 years ago

I just put LEDs in my AC\DC over the weekend, so I went ahead and placed a pre-order for another LED OCD board on the website last night. Have you tossed around any ideas as to when you may run the next batch of Stern boards? I'm not sure what the pre-order demand has been so far.

#282 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Crazy how many people buy LEDs but not these boards. I may have to post some before/after videos to convince more people to buy so I can get my next order.

Yes, it really is an amazing piece of work. I look at my Rolling Stones sitting next to my AC\DC--which TRS has the board, and AC\DC does not--and the difference is like night and day, TRS looks leagues better. The end result is a far more natural look, and once you've got this board in one game, there's really no going back.

#285 10 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

BTW, a few more pre-orders have come in today, so making another batch is starting to seem more worthwhile. I'm guessing this is due to the thread being bumped.

YES!!!!!

(obviously it's not a guarantee it will happen soon, but I'm glad it's at least a few steps closer now, haha)

#292 10 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

Also WCS, although I'm pretty happy with the LEDs in there right now, it doesn't have the obvious issues that I notice with the others.

You will like it even more with this board in it.

#302 10 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Lol, a thumbs down honestly? Next time remind me not to give advice.

It's okay, I balanced it out for you.

1 month later
    #311 10 years ago

Received mine yesterday! Looking forward to installing it tomorrow.

1 week later
    #325 10 years ago

You can use it as is, but I highly recommend configuring it properly. Especially for certain games where there are certain lit shots that strobe really fast. With how the LED OCD makes everything pulse by default, it will be hard to see which shots are blinking quickly.

#329 10 years ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

AKM I'm putting it on MM and was hoping to able to run it as is (at least for now)

You can run it as-is. Just keep in mind while you're playing, if you see a light on a shot that looks weird, and you go, "Hm, this was supposed to blink really really fast, but isn't doing it now," you need to adjust the settings for that insert. Unless you are fine with how it looks by default and you get used to it.

Anyway, don't let it deter you from buying the board. I'm probably making it sound a lot more scary than it actually is.

1 month later
    #369 10 years ago

I'd go with T2 as well. Lots of bright, in-your-face lights on that one.

2 weeks later
    #386 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mando:

anyone do a ripleys?

I will once a new batch of boards are made..

1 week later
    #414 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Trek pro works with the ocd, and the color changing inserts look a shit ton better. The LE (especially the color changing) seems like theyre much smoother than the stock pro, now my lights are silky.

[attachment=1630303,]

That's great news! I was worried the newer Stern machines with board-mounted LEDs may not be compatible. I was always under the impression they used their own form of special hardware that the OCD wouldn't be compatible with.

#417 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Yeah, the way Kneissl worded it, it was a bit confusing, but the one he used it in is a Star Trek Pro, which still uses a lamp matrix. It think it started with TRON LE, where none of the LEs are compatiable.

Huh.. I figured since they were using color changing LEDs in ST Pro, that they were using the same hardware as the LE games. I wonder why they went for the different hardware between the ST Pro and the LE, considering the look of the inserts is pretty close (if not identical?) to one-another.

3 weeks later
    #461 9 years ago

Herg, any tips for mounting one of these in a Whitestar game? Have you found the included adhesive stands to be sufficient (assuming you test mounted a board in your LotR)?

#463 9 years ago

Cool, I'm glad to hear the adhesive stands work fine. I had tried the adhesive stands in my BDK just for grins, but it didn't work out too well and the board came loose after a few weeks of play. However, the wood backing of the SAM games isn't nearly as smooth as the metal plate of the Whitestar games, so I guess it made sense.

#476 9 years ago

I want to let it be known to folks with a RBION, you probably don't want to install the LED OCD in this specific game. I can't get things to smooth out, even after trying countless brightness settings.

I think the problem is that RBION purposely strobes the inserts as an intended effect. And I mean STROBE--like 20 times in a second, over and over. It does this for about 50% of the attract mode, and it does it for all shots when you are in multi-ball or any other important mode. So, for about 50% of the time, you have tons of intended strobing the OCD board can't fix, then for the other 50% of the time you have the nice, smooth pulsing of the lights that you would expect from the OCD board (i.e., when the game isn't purposely strobing the inserts like crazy).

So yeah. Avoid the board for this specific game. But definitely buy it for others (I can personally vouch it works great in a lot of other games).

#478 9 years ago

I think it's just that the game is purposely strobing at insane rates, rates I haven't seen on too many games. It did this with incandescents as well, so it's not so much an issue that is a result of using LEDs.

I have been playing the game for the last couple of hours and I don't notice it much now. There are also a lot less modes that use the fast strobe effect on the inserts, mainly your multi-ball modes, but that's it. I can mostly take back what I said in my last post, although you will notice the strobe effect if you stare at the attract mode, haha.

#480 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I know of one other person who has one with intentions of putting it in a RBION, and I play at his house fairly regularly. If there's an issue, I'll know soon enough. I'll also take my laptop over there next time I go, and I'm sure he'll let me play around with settings.

If you do get a chance to play around with the settings on his machine, definitely post your findings (or solutions, hehe) here. Let it run through the attract mode and you should be able to see what I am talking about. It runs the strobe portion of the attract sequence for about a minute straight, then goes to a non-strobing sequence for another minute, then back to the strobe portion.

I would like to reiterate though to potential buyers that the hyper strobe effect happens much less during actual gameplay, and when it does you don't really notice it much.

1 week later
    #486 9 years ago

I slapped together another video of the before/after with the board. You can see the flicker pretty badly in the "before" clips, and you can easily the tell the board smoothing things out. Link:

#488 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Looks good. Were you able to smooth out the patterns you were having trouble with before?

I was not, although I don't really notice it much now. I think I was just being OCD about it. No pun intended.

1 week later
    #492 9 years ago
    Quoted from Shaneus:

That's a handy video, but I'd love to see a fourth synched video for comparison with regular globes...

The next time I LED out a machine and put another one of these boards in, I'll be sure to get some earlier footage showing standard incandescents. I would have liked to have done that with this video, but didn't think about it until I had already LED'd out the whole machine.

1 week later
    #508 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

This ^ was referring to RBION. I finally got a chance to see and tweak a friend's machine. Initially, I did see some patterns that resulted in nasty flicker, and we tracked it down to no-ghosting LEDs. In manual mode, they weren't lighting at all until about 26%, and not smoothly until about 44%. We tried setting B1 for the active profile to 44%, and it did smooth out the flickering pattern, but it also made it difficult to see the intentional blinking. I dropped B1 back down to 30%, and it was a pretty good compromise.
    He said he would swap the bulbs out to standard LEDs without the no-ghosting, and I think that will allow us to drop B1 back down to the default 10% and have nice effects all around. We'll have to wait and see.
    Just to confirm, the easiest place I could see the flickering pattern was right after the match sequence switched over to attract mode. Here it alternates between X's and diamonds on the 3x3 grid. Is that were you saw the nastiness?

Thanks for taking the time to tinker with this on your friend's machine.

The issue where I am having the strobing problem is indeed on part of the attract mode. For about 1/3 of it, where the game is lighting up every bulb rapidly, that's where I get the bad flicker. Another 1/3 of the attract mode does a basic stepping pattern where it lights random bulbs on 100% solid then 100% off, so no problems there. Likewise, the last 1/3 of the attract mode does a nice wave motion back and forth across the playfield, and it lets the bulbs fade in and out smoothly. Obviously that is fine, since the OCD especially excels in those situations. Keep in mind the part I am having a problem with strobes/flickers intentionally and it does this with standard incandescent bulbs, but with the LEDs I have it's even more noticeable.

I will have to try some CoinTaker Super Brights. That's what I had put in my last three Sterns that had this board. In RBION, I used the same clear-domed, two-LED model that I used for GI. I wanted to see how the lights would work using the same bulbs above and below the playfield, just like with how a game is normally configured using incandescents. It actually looks good for the most part, but I've been meaning to start color matching anyway, so in the process I'll get some Super Bright CT bulbs for the inserts that have an obvious problem (like the tic-tac-toe board, that's the biggest offender in the attract sequence).

#510 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Agreed. As I've always said, it really is designed to be best used with plain LED bulbs.

My friend's machine (RBION) is now my machine! I've just started swapping the Premiums that are in it for Comet Frosted 5050s, which are basically the same as CT Supers. These settings are getting really close, in my opinion:
    14 14 14 24 40 40 60 85 ; Delay = 3
    If you care to give them a try, I think they'll help yours as well.

Awesome!! Did you end up trading something? Either way, it's a great game. Enjoy it!

#513 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Yeah, I traded the LOTR for it. Between family and OCD, I wasn't finding much time to play, so committing to a game of LOTR didn't happen very often. I was happy to see it go to a great guy, and I have had my eye on that RBION for a while now.

Cool! RBION can be a pretty long playing game too if it's set a certain way.. On the other hand though, it can absolutely destroy you at the same time. It's unique in that regard, haha.

#525 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

I put my system 11 board in Whirlwind. The results are just awesome. Great job herg!!

Wait, what?! System 11 board? Did I miss something in this thread?

#527 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

yah dude, there's ocd for sys 11 & sys 9

Ahhh.. OK, I see now--it's just the WPC boardset. I didn't realize the same board would work with DE *and* System 11 (I thought it was just DE). Now that I have a System 11 game, I might have to try it.

1 month later
    #576 9 years ago
    Quoted from metahugh:

I thought I would never like LEDs but this LEDOCD makes them awesome looking.

Yeah, it's awesome. When I have new people over they always have to do a double take when I tell them when my playfield inserts are actually LEDs.

3 months later
    #675 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Also, I would like to update the list of confirmed working games. If anyone is using one of my kits in a game that is still on the "Should work" list, please let me know, and I'll update the list.

I can confirm it works in Stern's 24.

2 months later
    #682 9 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Will this board work with X-files? My buddy has one and I don't know if the hardware is similar to Stern.
    EDIT: Nevermind, I looked at the site and it's listed as SHOULD work.

I'm pretty sure X-Files is on the Whitestar hardware, so it will work with a Stern board.

3 months later
    #683 8 years ago

Has anyone gotten the OCD software to work in Windows 8.1? I haven't tried it yet but am curious to know what others' results have been.

2 months later
    #703 8 years ago

Yeah, plug 'n play for TSPP. I have only had to adjust one game so far because of shot indication issues (The Rolling Stones). The only other games I have had to adjust manually are games where I installed extremely bright bulbs (Ripleys and Goldeneye). Pretty much everything else I installed it in looked good out of the box.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list?tu=akm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.