(Topic ID: 29684)

FS: LED OCD - Eliminate LED flicker/strobe/ghost - Control brightness

By herg

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5703E8D3-F92F-45D6-B6F5-4CC9794E3587 (resized).jpeg
    F09AB0F2-439F-49A9-9CD6-95B2E440C3EB (resized).jpeg
    AA6FAB3A-28EA-422F-913F-939E053D861F (resized).jpeg
    20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png
    There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.
    #401 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I dunno. I have an external sub so I don't really feel like I need high end speakers to support a game with low-quality sampled sound....I can't even turn it up very loud to start with.

For me it is mostly the balance issue. Well and it would be nice if the sub a bit more pronounced when I play at lower volumes. I'm not even sure if the aftermarket kits offer sub volume adjustments.

There's a myriad of things I want before then. Including converting all my GI's and getting GIOCD. Just way more bang for the buck, I agree. New speakers is literally last on my list. I was thinking of even powder coating the metal side-rails before considering a speaker upgrade

#402 9 years ago
    Quoted from m00dawg:

I wanted them too (the speaker upgrades), though they aren't THAT big are they? Actually, my only gripe there is my right speaker is smaller than the left, and the unbalance is evident. A speaker upgrade is one I'd like to do but it's basically last on the list.

isnt wpc sound mono?

#403 9 years ago
    Quoted from m00dawg:

I wanted them too (the speaker upgrades), though they aren't THAT big are they?

The one on the right is probably around 1" deeper than the tiny original.

My TZ has LED OCD, GI OCD, a ColorDMD, and FF speaker upgrade in the backbox.

#404 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

isnt wpc sound mono?

It is. The problem is that my speakers are different sizes so the left sounds louder than the right and it's mildly obnoxious. So just getting the same sized speakers should fix that.

Quoted from herg:

The one on the right is probably around 1" deeper than the tiny original.
    My TZ has LED OCD, GI OCD, a ColorDMD, and FF speaker upgrade in the backbox.

Nice! Well then, I shouldn't have a problem when I get to that point. It'll take me a while ColorDMD makes me drool but between it and the GI, I think I'd rather have the GI as I'm not often looking at the display when actively playing much anyway, so making the GI's awsome would give me a better overall playing experience.

Of course, eventually, I want all the things!!! Hehe.

#405 9 years ago
    Quoted from akm:

I will once a new batch of boards are made..

Likewise... and they're made available on Comet (or I can find a proxy US address who could forward it onto me ) to get it sent to Australia. Yet to even pick up my RBION, but I'm excited about getting some LED OCD and mirror blade action happening.

#406 9 years ago

This evening, I rewrote the communications portion of the configuration tool to use a different driver (D2XX instead of VCP), and so far it seems more reliable. A board that I previously had problems with is now working well.

If you have had issues communicating with a particular board, a particular PC, or versions of the driver later than v2.08.24, please give the new software version a try. Feedback would be very useful, and I hope it gets rid of the communications issues that a few users have reported.

http://ledocd.com/install_software.html

#407 9 years ago

When are you getting some more stock in, either Sys 11 or Stern, I need both.

#408 9 years ago

I'm keeping this updated on the website.
    http://ledocd.com/cart

In summary:

Stern - Building 100 now, ready late May.
    GI - hopefully early July
    WPC/Sys11/DE - Later builds are still TBD

#409 9 years ago

Board is great.

For some reason, my computer running Win7 has trouble recognizing the board via the software.

#410 9 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Board is great.
    For some reason, my computer running Win7 has trouble recognizing the board via the software.

Using the new software or the old?

Quoted from herg:

This evening, I rewrote the communications portion of the configuration tool to use a different driver (D2XX instead of VCP), and so far it seems more reliable.

I'm convinced that FTDI messed something up in the VCP driver after v2.08.24, and since Windows 7 insists on automatically updating drivers, it has caused problems communicating with some boards.

#411 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I'm convinced that FTDI messed something up in the VCP driver after v2.08.24, and since Windows 7 insists on automatically updating drivers, it has caused problems communicating with some boards.

yeah i had this problem. Windows kept automatically updating to a newer, non-working version of the driver. every time i plug in the USB cable, a little "updating" icon appears in the task tray, and i have to quickly click on it and find the cancel button before it manages to install the update.

Herg, I will try the newer software and report back!

#412 9 years ago

does anyone have a Shadow profile they want to share? thanks!

#413 9 years ago

Trek pro works with the ocd, and the color changing inserts look a shit ton better. The LE (especially the color changing) seems like theyre much smoother than the stock pro, now my lights are silky.

[attachment=1630303,]
    #414 9 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Trek pro works with the ocd, and the color changing inserts look a shit ton better. The LE (especially the color changing) seems like theyre much smoother than the stock pro, now my lights are silky.

[attachment=1630303,]

That's great news! I was worried the newer Stern machines with board-mounted LEDs may not be compatible. I was always under the impression they used their own form of special hardware that the OCD wouldn't be compatible with.

#415 9 years ago
    Quoted from akm:

That's great news! I was worried the newer Stern machines with board-mounted LEDs may not be compatible. I was always under the impression they used their own form of special hardware that the OCD wouldn't be compatible with.

They are not compatible. The ocd board intercepts the lamp matrix. Newer LED sterns don't have a lamp matrix, they use a serial LED protocol.

Edit--my bad on the interpretation there..talking about board mounted leds as in the Pro model that are still driven through a matrix. Ignore me.

#416 9 years ago

Yeah, the way Kneissl worded it, it was a bit confusing, but the one he used it in is a Star Trek Pro, which still uses a lamp matrix. It think it started with Tron LE, where none of the LEs are compatiable.

I hadn't seen how Stern implemented the color changing on the Pro, so I was hesitant to claim whether OCD would work with it. I'm glad Kneissl was able to break new ground. It seems they used a couple of resistor boards on the matrix outputs, which I'm assuming are to prevent ghosting. Those can be removed when using OCD.

#417 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Yeah, the way Kneissl worded it, it was a bit confusing, but the one he used it in is a Star Trek Pro, which still uses a lamp matrix. It think it started with TRON LE, where none of the LEs are compatiable.

Huh.. I figured since they were using color changing LEDs in ST Pro, that they were using the same hardware as the LE games. I wonder why they went for the different hardware between the ST Pro and the LE, considering the look of the inserts is pretty close (if not identical?) to one-another.

#418 9 years ago

shot some video of my CFTBL, Shadow, and BSD. 20 seconds or so of each to show what the LEDOCD does. BSD really needs the GI OCD
    https://vimeo.com/93817989

#419 9 years ago
    Quoted from akm:

Huh.. I figured since they were using color changing LEDs in ST Pro, that they were using the same hardware as the LE games. I wonder why they went for the different hardware between the ST Pro and the LE, considering the look of the inserts is pretty close (if not identical?) to one-another.

The color changing led lights themselves may be the same. I think they had enough of the matrix to drive three lights in each of the color changing inserts of the trek pro. The color change looks much different in the pro till you hook up an ocd board imo.

#420 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

In summary:

Bummer. Was hoping to get one in NASCAR and F-14 before SFGE in June. I've set my notification on your site, so I'll hang on till then.

#421 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Old.

#422 9 years ago

I am definitely gong to buy one of these for my LOTR when they are available again. Way too much ghosting on that machine and I can't bring myself to go back to incandescent bulbs completely.

#423 9 years ago

Anyone have power issues with a Rottendog power driver board? just installed and all I got going is the DMD.

nevermind. solved!

#424 9 years ago

Any update on when the Williams boards will be available. Was hoping to get some in the last batch but now been told it will be months Must be a big pre-order list.

#425 9 years ago

In summary:

A reminder, the pre-order list is gone. It was too much work. If you want to be notified when boards are added to the site, you can sign up for notifications there.

Finally, if you're wondering why I don't just build a bunch of all three, realize this is just a hobby for me. I'm not making nearly as much money as you might think, and it's expensive for me to build a batch of boards.

#426 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Anyone already on the waiting list will be notified when I have what they asked for. They'll have first shot at any new stock. Next, I'll notify anyone who has asked for notifications via the new shopping cart software. These will be first come, first served, but at least you'll get a heads-up if you asked to be notified.
    I'm not adding anyone to a waiting list any more since it turned into a bunch of extra work during this last round.

So I signed up on the waiting list for GI OCD. You still are notifying people when they are ready right?

#427 9 years ago

Yes. I'm not sure how to describe it any better than the post you quoted.

#428 9 years ago

I would like to be notified by morse code when the DE boards are ready.

#429 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'll look into training a woodpecker to tap the message out on your forehead. This offer is just for you, though.

#430 9 years ago

Okay up the price and build more

#431 9 years ago

Would it save you effort to offer kits? Just throw a PCB and parts in a baggie. If you want to protect your source code, you could flash and lock the microcontroller before sending it.

If that wouldn't save you any effort, then no worries. Very glad you're doing this at all. It's a great service for the community.

#432 9 years ago
    Quoted from sillyoldelf:

Okay up the price and build more

Somehow I doubt that a majority of others would agree with your plan.

Quoted from blondie7575:

Would it save you effort to offer kits?

Not really. The way things are set up now, I have a company that fabricates the boards, buys the parts, and assembles them. All I have to do is send them a bunch of money and wait. Same thing for the cables. What is left for me to do is program the microcontrollers, install them and a few other parts on the boards (just stuffing sockets), test the boards, buy the mounting hardware (screws and standoffs), package that stuff with instructions, ship packages, and handle any support issues that arise. Support is a very large amount of the work involved in them, and selling them in kit form would certainly lead to more support.

#433 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Somehow I doubt that a majority of others would agree with your plan.

Not really. The way things are set up now, I have a company that fabricates the boards, buys the parts, and assembles them. All I have to do is send them a bunch of money and wait. Same thing for the cables. What is left for me to do is program the microcontrollers, install them and a few other parts on the boards (just stuffing sockets), test the boards, buy the mounting hardware (screws and standoffs), package that stuff with instructions, ship packages, and handle any support issues that arise. Support is a very large amount of the work involved in them, and selling them in kit form would certainly lead to more support.

That makes sense. I'll keep waiting.

#434 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply to my email. I definitely want at least one (two, much more likely) of the WPC boards and cables when they next become available. I don't say that with the expectation that you will remember but only to encourage and thank you in advance. I wish I had gotten on the bandwagon sooner. Thank you for taking this on.

#435 9 years ago

Well seriously I think they are too cheap for what they do and I for one would certainly pay more if it meant they are available on mass.

It's the best thing I've ever added to my machines. Just wish I could add gem to my Williams machines now. Been waiting months and now pre order list has gone so back to square one.

#436 9 years ago

I guess if I had been charging more for them all this time, I'd have a bigger pool of money to build bigger batches with. At this point, raising the price wouldn't make a lot of difference in my ability to make them any faster.

I'm sorry you missed out on the last batch, and I'm not sure how it happened. I notified everyone on the WPC list and had about 5 in freely available stock for a week before they sold out. I'm leaning toward building both WPC and GI in parallel once I finish the Stern ones I'm working on now, but it's a lot of money for me to tie up at one time. If I was treating it as a business, I'd consider it an investment, but I'm trying to keep it a simple hobby and still leave myself time to actually play my games.

#437 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I'm leaning toward building both WPC and GI in parallel once I finish the Stern ones I'm working on now, but it's a lot of money for me to tie up at one time.

I'd buy the pair together if I could. I am having my TOTAN restored right now, and this is part of the plan.

#438 9 years ago

Man, I feel you, managing pre-orders or guessing at investing in stock is tricky when you're just doing it as a side hobby. Your product rules though, you deserve to sell mass quantities.

#439 9 years ago

Its funny, after seeing how freaking nice these boards truly work on a couple machines in person, I want to buy these boards BEFORE putting LEDs into my games because if I can't have the LEDs perform the way the LED OCD makes them, then I don't want LEDs. Put me down for two Sterns whenever theyre available. Also at least 1 WPC for my Funhouse I am working on. Ok and maybe another for my Bride of Pinbot....OK AND MAYBE TAXI ALSO...UGH! This is getting expensive......uh oh.

#440 9 years ago

herg - Is there some quantity of orders you could reach that would let you just skip a lot of the hand work you do and have everything done up for you by the factory? I swear everyone needs this product even if they don't know it.

#441 9 years ago

Hi Herg,
    Is there a list somewhere of what machine-specific csv files are included with the tools, or available somewhere? I note the pdf help asks for people's custom files; have you gotten any (Sys11, in particular) to add?
    The defaults seem good enough to make me lazy about typing the light list from the manual into a new file.

Thanks for such excellent product, and I'm looking forward to your future endeavors!

#442 9 years ago

Thanks for your efforts Herg. I haven't purchased any yet but, intend on getting a setup for my STTNG when available again. Possibly LOTR at some point. Keep up the good works and thanks for keeping these affordable.

#443 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Is there some quantity of orders you could reach that would let you just skip a lot of the hand work you do and have everything done up for you by the factory?

Maybe. I haven't really looked into it that much. Finding a manufacturer for the cables was a giant step forward as far as reducing my labor. On the flipside, it now costs more to maintain any inventory.

Quoted from PotWasher:

Is there a list somewhere of what machine-specific csv files are included with the tools, or available somewhere?

All the files I have are included in the software download. It is freely available, even if you haven't bought a board, and it is small enough that downloading to see what games have already been done seems reasonable to me. You don't have to install it. Just look in the "data" directory.

#444 9 years ago

No idea how I missed as sent repeated emails and was at the stage in discussion you were working through preorder list and was told you were getting to me so it's sad to hear there were surplus available in the end.

Oh well I've signed up for email notifications now so fingers crossed. How many would you need to have made commercially to take the work load off? Just thinking if you got a price for say having 100 made and then took money to get them done like pinball companies do you wouldn't have to make any investment up front?

#445 9 years ago

Another option might be to approach pinball life and see if they want to buy X quantity of each. Then they can keep them in stock without a hobbyist having to float that bill.

They've done that with other products.

#446 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

- .... --- ... . -- .- -.-- - .- -.- . .- .-- .... .. .-.. . .-.. --- -. --. . .-.

#447 9 years ago
    Quoted from Half_Life:

- .... --- ... . -- .- -.-- - .- -.- . .- .-- .... .. .-.. . .-.. --- -. --. . .-.

A while longer, those may take -- Yoda.

#448 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Another option might be to approach pinball life and see if they want to buy X quantity of each. Then they can keep them in stock without a hobbyist having to float that bill.
    They've done that with other products.

Comet Pinball sells them:

http://www.cometpinball.com/Stern-LED-OCD-Board-p/ledocdstern.htm

#449 9 years ago

For clarification sake, would the OCD board work with the newer style led light boards - say in a Metallica premium?

#450 9 years ago
    Quoted from McSirTuna:

For clarification sake, would the OCD board work with the newer style led light boards - say in a Metallica premium?

Those already do full dimming ala OCD. It won't work with them, but it doesn't need to. That's how Metallica can fade the GI during Fade to Black for instance. Or how Star Trek does those color sweeps.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.