7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 763 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 123 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png
    LED OCD Ramp Example (Standard).png
    IMG_7520.JPG
    Hasselhoff-Drunk.jpg

There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.
    #351 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Herg, will you be at the Fairfax Pinball Open at all?

I'm probably going to stop by after work today. I'm not sure I can commit to playing in the tournament, though.

#352 6 years ago

Very cool, so you just set the min brightness on profile 7 from 10 to 40 with "non ghosters" as a starting point? That simple?

You would just leave the USB cable connected and accessible through the coin door for whenever we want to make adjustments right?

#353 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Very cool, so you just set the min brightness on profile 7 from 10 to 40 with "non ghosters" as a starting point? That simple?

Yeah. Well, that, then "Send", then "Save". For starting point, at least. Obviously, if you want to use different profiles for certain lamps, etc, you'd have more stuff to change.

Quoted from iceman44:

You would just leave the USB cable connected and accessible through the coin door for whenever we want to make adjustments right?

That's what I normally do. Obviously, you want to make sure the end of the cable isn't shorting against anything while it's not in use. Some people prefer to open the backbox and plug the USB cable into the board when they make adjustments, but that's up to you.

#354 6 years ago

such a bummer my wife came down with pneumonia. i was going to go to the FPO until she got sick. woulda been cool to meet Herg (and everone else). I also had made plans with the organizers to bring my LEDOCD'd STTNG! oh well. Next year.

#355 6 years ago

Hope she feels better soon.

You live close enough that we really should make a point to meet somewhere. Missing the FPO is a bummer, though.

#356 6 years ago

Ordered a Stern one for my incoming Met.

#357 6 years ago

I just want to go on record and say how much I love herg's LED OCD board. I recently installed one in my WPT, and it made all the difference in the world. Prior to installing the board, the attract mode looked like crap. With the board installed, everything looks much smoother, and way more incandescent like. I had previously installed one in an Avatar, and was equally impressed.

Being able to individually control the brightness and fade characteristics of each LED is really cool. This basically allows you to stick in any LED that you have lying around (assuming it is bright enough), and tweak it until you are happy with the results.

#358 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I'm probably going to stop by after work today. I'm not sure I can commit to playing in the tournament, though.

I may put up some entries but I have to leave tormorrow in the AM so it will just be for fun. I'll have a blue adidas hat on. I just wanted to shake your hand and say thanks for all the good work. If I miss you please accept this as a virtual handshake.

#359 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Ordered a Stern one for my incoming Met.

you won't need it - my tron already has one.

#360 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I'll have a blue adidas hat on. If I miss you please accept this as a virtual handshake.

I'm wearing a green/navy/white plaid dress shirt, and I'll probably head over at about 3 PM.

Agreed. If we don't cross paths, it's virtually "Nice to meet you."

#361 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

For the STTNG shields, GI OCD should be able to handle it:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gi-ocd-active-smoothing-for-gi-work-in-progress
    It has not been specifically tested with STTNG yet, but it probably will be in about a month when the new batch of those are built.

Sweet! Any way you can shoot me a message when you know? If not I can check back with you in a month or two and see how it went!
    Cheers
    Jim

#362 6 years ago
    Quoted from cougtv:

Any way you can shoot me a message when you know?

I don't own a STTNG, so it will depend on when someone else installs a GI OCD in one and lets me know about it. If you send me an email (http://ledocd.com/contact.html) it will help me remember.

1 month later
    #363 5 years ago

any comparison videos with ocd on the Trek pro?

#364 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

can't help you there, sorry.

but as per the earlier discussion -- GI OCD works beautifully on the STTNG shields. Before installing it, I didn't even realize they dimmed in proportion to how damaged they are during Borg Multiball!

#365 5 years ago

I wanted to update the people on the WPC LED OCD waiting list that I have a new supplier for the cables, and they have been slower than expected getting them to me. That's the cause for the delay in being able to ship those kits. They're telling me "end of this week", but I may go ahead and build some more by hand myself to get things moving.

Quoted from Kneissl:

Sorry, I don't have one available to try it on. To be honest, I haven't even looked up the specifics to see if it's still using the lamp matrix to control the lamps.

#366 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

can't help you there, sorry.
    but as per the earlier discussion -- GI OCD works beautifully on the STTNG shields. Before installing it, I didn't even realize they dimmed in proportion to how damaged they are during Borg Multiball!

It's definitely on my list, although I'll have to wait until I figure out what to do with the other GI's first. Most are still incans and I have to put thought in on how moody I might want things.

Which do you like more for STTNG? LED OCD or GI OCD? I'm planning on getting both, just not sure which one first. The ghosting isn't really all that annoying for me - the flicker is more of an issue it's better than I thought it would be (my playfield is about half done LED-wise).

#367 5 years ago

Ok, still love Herg's board but I've taken it out of my TZ. Nothing related to the board, I just don't think TZ is improved much by LEDs.

Which pin should I put Herg's LED OCD board into:

Indiana Jones?
    Terminator 2?
    WhiteWater?
    Creech?
    RoadShow?
    World Cup Soccer?

I'm leaning toward WhiteWater...

... Altan

#368 5 years ago

In general, there are two main reasons I like LEDs.
    1. Better cool colors. Warm games can stay incandescent more easily.
    2. LEDs give you more choices to fill big inserts.

With that in mind, I'd vote WCS, T2, and if you just neglected to list it, Funhouse.

#369 5 years ago

I'd go with T2 as well. Lots of bright, in-your-face lights on that one.

#370 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

In general, there are two main reasons I like LEDs.
    1. Better cool colors. Warm games can stay incandescent more easily.
    2. LEDs give you more choices to fill big inserts.

With that in mind, I'd vote WCS, T2, and if you just neglected to list it, Funhouse.

Quoted from akm:

I'd go with T2 as well. Lots of bright, in-your-face lights on that one.

Good points. T2 might be my revised choice.

2 weeks later
    #371 5 years ago

I installed LED OCD in my The Shadow last night.

First, I'll repeat the refrain that it's an easy install. I had zero familiarity with the boards in my machine and was up and running in less than 30 mins. And a good chunk of that time was spent confirming that The Shadow is a WPC-89 (yep, it is). The pictorial installation guide on the ledocd website was perfect, and I was really pleased with how thorough the install instructions are. My only quibble with the instructions was that, while the text clearly advises mounting the LED OCD board so that the USB port is easily accessible, to my eye the picture showing suggested placement for the board could lead people to mount the board where the USB port would be blocked. In any event, I mounted the board in the far upper-right corner of the backbox and had no issues attaching the various cables, including the USB.

LED OCD works wonderfully with The Shadow. I installed my insert LEDs (frosted 1 SMD 5050s from cometpinball) a few days ago and was very happy with the increased brightness and color, but definitely did not care for the quick on/off cycling of the LEDs. After installation I immediately appreciated the slower, incandescent-like ramp up/down. That alone is well worth the cost of the board. Looking forward to playing around with the software a bit this week, and to adjusting the levels on a few bulbs that are brighter/dimmer than I'd like.

I would recommend this board set to anyone planning an insert LED conversion. Herg, I'd say you can shift The Shadow over from "should work" to "confirmed working"! Thank you for making an excellent product.

#372 5 years ago

anyone do a ripleys?

#373 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Herg, I'd say you can shift The Shadow over from "should work" to "confirmed working"!

You can move Space Shuttle to the confirmed column too.

#374 5 years ago

You can move Apollo 13 to the Stern confirmed to work column as well.

#375 5 years ago

You can move Jackbot to the "Frax needs some non-NON-GHOSTING LEDs to test it out with" column... me broke!

#376 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

You can move Apollo 13 to the Stern confirmed to work column as well.

Cool! That's the first verified Sega Whitestar title that I'm aware of. Granted, it's theoretically the same as Stern Whitestar, but it's still cool to see.

#377 5 years ago

Out of curiosity, herg, any chance of releasing the schematics for people to play with?

#378 5 years ago
    Quoted from blondie7575:

Out of curiosity, herg, any chance of releasing the schematics for people to play with?

What do you have in mind? I wouldn't really be opposed to schematics. There's not much of anything there that's anything special. I would draw the line at gerbers or microcontroller code.

#379 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

What do you have in mind? I wouldn't really be opposed to schematics. There's not much of anything there that's anything special. I would draw the line at gerbers or microcontroller code.

Fair enough. I guess the schematics wouldn't be much use without the uC code. Gerbers wouldn't be necessary. I wanted to throw your design on some protoboard and play with it a bit.

#380 5 years ago

If anyone is interested in seeing the OCD in person, I'll have one on my LOTR at Allentown.

IMO, the OCD board addresses all the problems with using LEDs on LOTR - it is a great example of what the board can do.

#381 5 years ago

What settings do you run lotr with OCD jay?

#382 5 years ago

I've tried a few different settings but the default wound up working great for me. Herg has done a lot more testing on his and specifically with the Palantir mod. The next generation of the Palantir is pretty intense and the OCD board is perfect because it lets you smooth out the fading effect and dial in the brightness to exactly how you like it.

Herg, what settings are you using these days?

-Jay

#383 5 years ago

It seems Pinside won't let me attach text files now, so I can't attach my XML file. If anyone really wants it, let me know. It's probably not a whole lot of help, though, since my machine is such a patchwork of incandescent and different LEDs. You should be able to get an idea from the attached image.

This is actually a little older one using the Palantir globe Jay sent me early last year. It was a good bit dimmer than the current one, so those settings in particular will not be very useful with new Palantirs.

LOTR.png

#384 5 years ago

What are the best (and cheapest) LEDs I can get to light inserts, considering I'll soon get an OCD board ?

#385 5 years ago

pinball life has comets for around .30 if you buy a whole bunch. Dunno about shipping to Canada though.

#386 5 years ago
    Quoted from mandelbloom:

anyone do a ripleys?

I will once a new batch of boards are made..

#387 5 years ago

Any news on international availability?

#388 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lowrent:

What are the best (and cheapest) LEDs I can get to light inserts, considering I'll soon get an OCD board ?

If your goal is cheap, I can recommend these. They tend to be a bit dim for my taste, though.
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-led.htm
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-led-bullet.htm

These, however, are still affordable and much more versatile since they are brighter. They are the bulbs I try first, then I move to others if they don't give me the effect I'm looking for.
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-smd.htm

#389 5 years ago

When will new board be in stock?

#390 5 years ago
    Quoted from akm:

I will once a new batch of boards are made..

I'm building twice as many as usual this time around, so hopefully, I'll be able to keep them in stock a little longer this time.

Quoted from someoneelse:

Any news on international availability?

Nothing new. I will not be able to supply them directly. The plans are for Comet Pinball to have some of the next batch of Stern available, though. Plans do not include WPC or GI currently.

#391 5 years ago
    Quoted from Skins:

When will new board be in stock?

I'm keeping this updated on the website.
    http://ledocd.com/cart

In summary:

WPC - a few in stock now, act fast. Later builds are still TBD.
    Stern - late May
    GI - hopefully early July

#392 5 years ago

Is the whole waiting list idea gone or did you just stop accepting new ones? I just want to know so that way I can keep an eye out when they come in stock or if I'll get an email.

BTW, I have the LEDOCD in Funhouse and STTNG and it's great. I mainly used 1 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS 5050 BULB from Comet.

#393 5 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

Is the whole waiting list idea gone or did you just stop accepting new ones? I just want to know so that way I can keep an eye out when they come in stock or if I'll get an email.
    BTW, I have the LEDOCD in Funhouse and STTNG and it's great. I mainly used 1 SMD 6.3V AC/DC SUPREME BRIGHTNESS 5050 BULB from Comet.

Anyone already on the waiting list will be notified when I have what they asked for. They'll have first shot at any new stock. Next, I'll notify anyone who has asked for notifications via the new shopping cart software. These will be first come, first served, but at least you'll get a heads-up if you asked to be notified.

I'm not adding anyone to a waiting list any more since it turned into a bunch of extra work during this last round.

#394 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

You can move Jackbot to the "Frax needs some non-NON-GHOSTING LEDs to test it out with" column... me broke!

Hey, quick update on this, actually. I found out I have super early code on my game, so who knows what the heck the lamp matrix is doing on my game. Once I get updated code in there we'll see if that changes any of the funky-ness on my specific Jack-Bot.

#395 5 years ago

I thought I would share my experience with my recently purchased LEDOCD. I am one of the folks who notice flicker in LEDs. Cheap Christmas light displays drive me nuts (in fact, I get my lights via a group buy direct from China as they're better then the ones Phillips sells due to being fully rectified). So LEDOCD was always on my list.

Installation in my STTNG was slightly more involved than I had wanted but overall easy. For home use, the adhesive standoffs for the main board are probably sufficient. I dunno about on-location though. My STTNG is for my home but I plan on replacing some of the adhesive pads with screws at some point just for more peace of mind. I mounted the main board on the top right. It was a tad cramped but it did fit. No clue how I'm going to get a GIOCD in there (which I also plan on getting at some point).

The I/O board didn't have adhesive and, at first, I was wary of screwing anything into my STTNG, but it was an easy process and seems like it should hold up rather well and convinced me to the above (using screws over adhesive). One minor gripe here is that it seems like the board could be done away with by using specialized connectors.

How does it look? Absolutely beautiful to my eyes! Lights fade in and out brilliantly - and the lights that are too bright can be tamed by adjusting their individual brightness. I did find that some of my white inserts are now a bit dim - the ones pointing up directly at the inserts. I used frosted white bulbs there over the brighter positional LEDs for the ones perpendicular to the inserts. The latter are definitely brighter and so I will likely upgrade the former at some point. They are more grey they white at the moment, but still quite bright enough to be useful and still MUCH better than yellow incandescents in my opinion.

So that was me, but, I will say that my wife barely saw a difference at all. A friend of mine noticed the improvements, though questioned the price to get there. Ghosting was prevalent but never bad enough to make anyone think an insert was lit when it wasn't. So, somewhat surprisingly, the critics remained critics. But for me, I'm wonderfully glad I picked one up. It is just glorious!

#396 5 years ago
    Quoted from m00dawg:

No clue how I'm going to get a GIOCD in there

Mine is installed in a completely different section of the backbox. They don't compete for space. That doesn't mean there's tons of extra space, but you won't have any problems with the two boards interfering with one another.

4.jpg

Quoted from m00dawg:

One minor gripe here is that it seems like the board could be done away with by using specialized connectors.

The early design did not have the board. I found the connectors to be somewhat unreliable, the cables were more labor intensive to build, and the cost was no higher for the board vs the funky cables.

IMG_4460.JPG

What I'd really like to do is figure out how to fit the main board down in that corner and have the playfield harness plug in directly, like the Stern design. There's just not enough room. My first beta design stacked on top of the PDB, but it didn't leave enough space for upgraded speakers.

#397 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Mine is installed in a completely different section of the backbox. They don't compete for space. That doesn't mean there's tons of extra space, but you won't have any problems with the two boards interfering with one another.

Ah sweet glad you got me covered I'd likely already have a GI but most of my GI's are still incans so I need to finish that first. That and the Mrs. really wants the shaker mod next. As I add LEDs to the GI, though, the need for GIOCD becomes readily apparent. I also finally gave up and turned the shields dimming off. I'd love to have that back.

Quoted from herg:

The early design did not have the board. I found the connectors to be somewhat unreliable, the cables were more labor intensive to build, and the cost was no higher for the board vs the funky cables.

What I'd really like to do is figure out how to fit the main board down in that corner and have the playfield harness plug in directly, like the Stern design. There's just not enough room. My first beta design stacked on top of the PDB, but it didn't leave enough space for upgraded speakers.

Oh man that's exactly what I would have wanted! A shame the reliability isn't there, but that makes sense. I was just nervous about screwing something into my previous STTNG But the end results have worked out fairly well. I do plan on eventually getting a ColorDMD and I recall reading that can be a small challenge with all the things going on in there but I know it's been done!

#398 5 years ago
    Quoted from m00dawg:

I do plan on eventually getting a ColorDMD and I recall reading that can be a small challenge with all the things going on in there but I know it's been done!

I have the GI OCD, the LED OCD, and ColorDMD in my STTNG. I don't have speaker upgrades.

#399 5 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I have the GI OCD, the LED OCD, and ColorDMD in my STTNG. I don't have speaker upgrades.

I wanted them too (the speaker upgrades), though they aren't THAT big are they? Actually, my only gripe there is my right speaker is smaller than the left, and the unbalance is evident. A speaker upgrade is one I'd like to do but it's basically last on the list.

#400 5 years ago

I dunno. I have an external sub so I don't really feel like I need high end speakers to support a game with low-quality sampled sound....I can't even turn it up very loud to start with.

There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside