7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 763 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 123 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png
    LED OCD Ramp Example (Standard).png
    IMG_7520.JPG
    Hasselhoff-Drunk.jpg

There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 16.
    #251 6 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

Starting to think my only option to beat this dimming problem is to yank my LEDs from GI and go back to incandescent. I didn't mind doing it for CV, but I really like cool white LEDs in CFTBL...

If you really like LEDs in those locations, it's probably worth trying the Noflix PLUS bulbs.
    http://www.pinballcenter.eu/english/videos/noflix-plus/

Ordering them is a little more expensive and time consuming since they're not sold in the US as far as I'm aware. I've heard good things about them, though.

#252 6 years ago

I had the GI dimming issue on Blackrose and a ghosting/flicker free LED won't fix it. The only two options are keep the regular bulbs in the GI strands or turn the option for GI dimming off in the adjustments menu.

#253 6 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

I had the GI dimming issue on Blackrose and a ghosting/flicker free LED won't fix it. The only two options are keep the regular bulbs in the GI strands or turn the option for GI dimming off in the adjustments menu.

This was my impression too. Apparently the there are some LEDs out there the claim to "dim" (e.g. slowly fade up and down and hold at a given dimness) but from the feedback I've read these LEDs are not comparable to the dimming you get on an incandescent bulb.

Pinball Decals has some LEDs that claim they can dim. I've never been able to get an end user to give feedback on how well they work.

#254 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

If you really like LEDs in those locations, it's probably worth trying the Noflix PLUS bulbs.
    http://www.pinballcenter.eu/english/videos/noflix-plus/
    Ordering them is a little more expensive and time consuming since they're not sold in the US as far as I'm aware. I've heard good things about them, though.

http://www.pinballdecals.com/OptifluxLEDPage2.html

#255 6 years ago

Holy smokes the optiflux must have some expensive capacitors

#256 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

Holy smokes the optiflux must have some expensive capacitors

Tooling required to produce these en masse. PinballBulbs is looking into making a fading LED that matches the characteristics of incandescents. We really need to move incandescent LED replacements forward.

#257 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Tooling required to produce these en masse. PinballBulbs is looking into making a fading LED that matches the characteristics of incandescents. We really need to move incandescent LED replacements forward.

That would be nice. Once you go LED it's hard to go back, but it sucks to give up some of the more subtle advantages of incandescents.

#258 6 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

That would be nice. Once you go LED it's hard to go back, but it sucks to give up some of the more subtle advantages of incandescents.

For me not so much from a subtlety standpoint but more from an operator practicality standpoint. A lot of these games like to dim and flash the GI (White Water, Frankenstein, Addams Family during multiball start, etc). And it looks quite disorienting to me, just imagine what that would do to people who are epiletics for example (including turning them off from playing your games). It wouldn't be so bad if you don't have a game in a dark location with all LEDs in the GI to address burning connectors and short lamp life (where replacing GI lamps would require a full playfield teardown on many games). With Herg able to pull off something so amazing and complex as the OCD board I'm thinking surely someone somewhere will be able to come up with a simple solution to this issue, whether it be in the form of fading warm white LEDs or a similar feed-through smoothing board for the GI circuit. I would absolutely love to see this problem addressed.

#259 6 years ago

I'm close to having a proof of concept for GI on WPC machines, but there's still some stuff to finish. What it does now is convert the AC to DC and allow me to individually set each string to a particular duty cycle, smoothly dimming each string. It doesn't yet track the pinball machine's desired brightness. It will also require some rather large heat sinks on the MOSFETs that drive the GI. Space inside the backbox is at a premium, and more big heat sinks are going to be difficult to fit in there.

Between building, shipping, and supporting LED OCD, not to mention family time and my real job, I haven't had much motivation to work on the GI project lately. I'd love to see it finished, though, if only so that I could use it in my Scared Stiff.

#260 6 years ago

"I'm close to having a proof of concept for GI on WPC machines"

I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE! Seriously though, if something like that became available it would kill on STTNG. I'd custom fabricate my own harness and mount that sucker in the cabinet if I had to, because god knows there is NO room in the head after installing the OCD.

#261 6 years ago

You have my support Herg! If you can pull it off we are likely to buy some.

#262 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

You have my support Herg! If you can pull it off we are likely to buy some.

Ditto - GI LED solution would be a welcome step forward I would buy without hesitation.

#263 6 years ago

I'm going to try the Optiflux in my CFTBL dimming GI. I found a video on YouTube, it looks good, although the camera or YouTube may hide the flickering. I'll let you know how it works out.

#264 6 years ago

Things are starting to calm down with the OCD boards. I've had some time to work on my own machines and play a bit lately, and I'll probably get back into looking at the GI project sometime soon. I don't expect to finish them any time soon, though. There's still a good bit of work just to get a prototype working, and then I'd have to look into making something that would fit in the backbox, what the cost would be, etc. Plus, I'm down to 3 Stern OCD kits, so I'm deciding whether to start another batch of those.

#265 6 years ago
    Quoted from tjsynkral:

I'm going to try the Optiflux in my CFTBL dimming GI. I found a video on YouTube, it looks good, although the camera or YouTube may hide the flickering. I'll let you know how it works out.

Please do!

#266 6 years ago

Here's the verdict:

Optiflux is a flop for GI dimming. I wouldn't recommend buying these for a machine with dimming, unless your eyes can't see flickering (and if so, why are you spending extra to buy these?).

I posted a high speed video of how they look in my CFTBL compared with Cointaker and incandescent. Looks about the same as Cointaker, for a higher price. The only good thing I can say is they don't ghost like Cointakers do (you can see it in the CREATURE letters at the top, R and E are Optiflux). I'm hoping the vendor is at least classy about taking them back.

Does anyone have experience with Noflix? Are those any better in this situation? The shipping is a bit too much for me to experiment with those.

#267 6 years ago

Since you have a high speed camera ever thought about doing some gameplay?

#268 6 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Since you have a High Speed camera ever thought about doing some gameplay?
    ยป YouTube video

My camera only gives me about 5 seconds of high speed per shot.

2 weeks later
    #269 6 years ago

FYI, I'm planning to be at the York show on Saturday. I won't have a booth, but I can bring LED OCD kits and meet up. If anyone's interested in saving the shipping/PayPal fees, send me a PM.

#270 6 years ago

I put in my order for a Stern kit. Here's hoping I get a chance to install it and mess around with it before we record our next episode. I'd love to talk about it, even with all that's been said so far. It looks like an exciting product.

#271 6 years ago

Stern kits are sold out, but I still have WPC and Sys11/DataEast kits. I plan to have a few of each at York tomorrow. I won't have access to Pinside while at the show, so please let me know by tomorrow morning if you want one at the show.

4 weeks later
    #272 6 years ago

I just realized that my webhost has not been sending contact forms or pre order requests for the last week or so. I guess you get what you pay for. So, I've broken down, paid for a new host and domain name. The old links will forward to the new site.

If you have tried to contact me through the website and not received a response, the new website is up and running or you can PM me here.

http://ledocd.com

#273 6 years ago

great product, HIGHLY recommended!

by the way, herg, i sent you a message through the contact form but yeah i assume it didn't get through. not your fault.

anyway, i was having some issues getting the drivers to recognize the board on two different laptops -- in both cases, the LED OCD software would say "Attempting to detect LED OCD" but it would never say "Detected". Luckily, I was able to figure out the problem. I'm posting it here because others may have the same issue:

in both cases, when i plugged in the USB cable to the laptop, Windows was automatically connecting to the internet, downloading, and installing a driver other than the recommended ones. This driver it downloads doesn't work. Worse, you can't even tell it's doing it unless you notice a little icon in the task tray, click on it, and then click cancel before it successfully grabs the bad driver. There's probably some setting buried somewhere in the OS to tell it not to automatically download new drivers, but I don't know where. As long as you're fast enough to cancel the process before it downloads the "better" drivers, the manually-installed ones will work.

windows.

#274 6 years ago

I submitted a preorder for a Stern OCD board Herg. I can submit a new form through the new website if you need me to.

#275 6 years ago

Yes, Windows. I could reprogram the USB to be a custom device, but then I would have to create a custom INF file, and I think that would cause Windows 8 to complain about an unsigned driver. I'm glad you figured it out, and I'll try to at least add it to the troubleshooting page.

Quoted from metahugh:

I submitted a preorder for a Stern OCD board Herg. I can submit a new form through the new website if you need me to.

Yours came through before the website broke, but if anyone else is unsure, feel free to resubmit. I'll delete any duplicates. It helps me for two reasons.

1. I use them to decide when to make more kits.
    2. I notify people who have submitted before making them available to everyone else.

#276 6 years ago

Herg,

Is there progress on the European distributor ?

#277 6 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

Herg,
    Is there progress on the European distributor ?

I wish I could report better news.

I've had strong interest from a couple of well know retailers in Europe, and I would like to do business with them. Doing so, however, would cause me personally some headaches that I am not at liberty to discuss. I can't really see a good solution to the problem other than me selling to someone in the US and them taking care of the reselling and shipping overseas. I know that's pretty cryptic, but I really can't explain any more.

1 month later
    #278 5 years ago

I just put LEDs in my AC\DC over the weekend, so I went ahead and placed a pre-order for another LED OCD board on the website last night. Have you tossed around any ideas as to when you may run the next batch of Stern boards? I'm not sure what the pre-order demand has been so far.

#280 5 years ago
    Quoted from akm:

I'm not sure what the pre-order demand has been so far.

It has been really slow lately. I have set an artificial limit of 20 pre-orders before I pull the trigger on a batch, and yours put me at 13 Stern. I make them in batches of 50 to keep the cost down, and even with me building the cables myself, I have to sell about 35 to break even.

I've been focusing my efforts on the GI board, and it's starting to come together. Knowing my luck, I'll be ready to make the batch of Stern kits at the same time as the GI kits and have to decide between the two.

#281 5 years ago

Crazy how many people buy LEDs but not these boards. I may have to post some before/after videos to convince more people to buy so I can get my next order.

#282 5 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Crazy how many people buy LEDs but not these boards. I may have to post some before/after videos to convince more people to buy so I can get my next order.

Yes, it really is an amazing piece of work. I look at my Rolling Stones sitting next to my AC\DC--which TRS has the board, and AC\DC does not--and the difference is like night and day, TRS looks leagues better. The end result is a far more natural look, and once you've got this board in one game, there's really no going back.

#283 5 years ago

This is such an amazing addition to machines that I'm surprised more people aren't on it. I'm also surprised some of the big LED sellers aren't making orders for these as well and offering them up to customers.

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I'm not sure how you would get any more convincing than this review / video.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/altans-informal-review-of-led-ocd

It could be the price, although I can't really do much about that. I really am not making much off of them.

Maybe people don't have the same aversion to harsh lighting, or maybe they think the boards are snake oil that don't really fix the problems. Obviously, I'm biased, but I wouldn't use LEDs without the boards, either. If someone else made them, I would have bought theirs. Eventually, I decided it was only going to happen if I did it myself.

On the flip side, I didn't expect to sell as many as I have this quickly. The number of repeat buyers is very flattering, and I appreciate the support.

BTW, a few more pre-orders have come in today, so making another batch is starting to seem more worthwhile. I'm guessing this is due to the thread being bumped.

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

BTW, a few more pre-orders have come in today, so making another batch is starting to seem more worthwhile. I'm guessing this is due to the thread being bumped.

YES!!!!!

(obviously it's not a guarantee it will happen soon, but I'm glad it's at least a few steps closer now, haha)

#286 5 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

I couldn't agree more. I tried to drum up some sales a few weeks ago as I need several more boards. I put these into 8-10 games, and I can't believe the difference between those and the ones without it. I've nagged Herg about making more and I totally respect his needs to secure a set number of orders. I know he's close on the Stern boards (of which I will buy a couple). I'm more bummed that he doesn't sound like he's even close to the pre-orders he needs for the WPC boards.

#287 5 years ago

Guys at shows/showrooms need to put these in their games with a sign that says "LEDs with LED OCD" and have a machine next to it that says "Straight LEDs" and let people compare in person.

#288 5 years ago

wow, I don't know how I've missed this. This should be great for TAF and HS2. I also have a space jam I'm thinking of putting it into. Also WCS, although I'm pretty happy with the LEDs in there right now, it doesn't have the obvious issues that I notice with the others. Anyone have experience using the LED OCD on any of these specific pins?

#289 5 years ago

It's legit folks, got a board in all mine.

#290 5 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

wow, I don't know how I've missed this. This should be great for TAF and HS2. I also have a space jam I'm thinking of putting it into. Also WCS, although I'm pretty happy with the LEDs in there right now, it doesn't have the obvious issues that I notice with the others. Anyone have experience using the LED OCD on any of these specific pins?

Yep, I've got it installed in my TOTAN, HS2, TZ and AFM. I recently bought a TAF and can't wait for another batch of the WPC boards to be ready. Must have IMHO if you convert to LEDs.

#291 5 years ago

Just got in for LOTR.

#292 5 years ago
    Quoted from resipsa:

Also WCS, although I'm pretty happy with the LEDs in there right now, it doesn't have the obvious issues that I notice with the others.

You will like it even more with this board in it.

#293 5 years ago

I'd be interested in a Stern LED OCD.

#294 5 years ago
    Quoted from jazc4:

Just got in for LOTR.

One can skate by with good LEDs and no OCD board, but LOTR is not one of them.

Quoted from jayhawkai:

I'd be interested in a Stern LED OCD.

These boards are only built when enough pre-orders are received: http://ledocd.com/purchase.html

#295 5 years ago

Ah, thanks. Just pre-ordered.

#296 5 years ago

Well, I guess you guys have answered the question of whether there's demand for another batch. My inbox has basically exploded overnight. The only drawbacks to doing it now would be that both my free time and "OCD money" would be tied up for a while, resulting in a delay to the GI project. I'll give it some thought today, but my half asleep, no caffeine thoughts are that it is worthwhile to go ahead and run a batch of Stern boards and just let the GI beta testing run a little longer than I had planned.

Thank you for the support. I can't explain how great it feels to know that I can contribute to the pinball hobby in a way other than just my sub-par playing.

#297 5 years ago

Hrm...I may have to scrounge to get the money for it, but my new game is going to cry out for one of these....but it's WPC. Craps.

#298 5 years ago

Works with WPC I believe.

#299 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Works with WPC I believe.

If he was making a batch of WPC boards...

#300 5 years ago

no shipping to europe makes me sad
    would really like one of these in my spiderman.

There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside