7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 763 posts
  • 159 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 123 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png
    LED OCD Ramp Example (Standard).png
    IMG_7520.JPG
    Hasselhoff-Drunk.jpg

There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.
    #101 6 years ago

Put some frosted CoinTakers in there, they are rectified and flicker will be virtually unnoticeable.

#102 6 years ago

Not an option. The LEDs he's talking about are not standard socketed bulbs. LED.jpg

There is a comment on these about needing a capacitor for the rainbow ones. I wonder if the same capacitor on the solid colored ones would smooth the flicker.
    board_with_rainbow_fluxxies.jpg

#103 6 years ago

That would be good to know. I hope Ingo is monitoring this thread!

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Not an option. The LEDs he's talking about are not standard socketed bulbs.
    There is a comment on these about needing a capacitor for the rainbow ones. I wonder if the same capacitor on the solid colored ones would smooth the flicker.

Would it be possible to remove those non-socketed LEDs and mount sockets in place of them?

#105 6 years ago

I replaced the bulbs on my original clock board with LEDs a long time ago, but if I remember correctly, they are 6.3V bulbs, so theoretically, you could use standard bulbs if they physically fit. I just read this on Ingo's website, though:

"Fully rectified GI-voltage with a bridge rectifier for absolute flicker-free lightning of the Super-Flux LEDs."

Based on that, CT Frosted or another standard AC bulb would not be any better. Maybe a premium of some sort, but part of the attraction to Ingo's board is that it's a drop in replacement.

Slaymetender, if you go into the diagnostics and test GI, do you see flicker at brightness 8? If not, but you do other times, it's probably due to GI dimming. In that case, you could try disabling GI dimming in the adjustments.

#106 6 years ago

Ahh, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it and report the results.

#107 6 years ago

I just got one of these wired up to my Sorcerer.. This thing eliminates all the downsides to controlled leds. I'm a huge fan.

#108 6 years ago

Hi Herg - did you still have plans to sell just the boards and let people build their own harnesses? Seems like a ton of work on your end having you assemble all of them.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Kneissl:

I just got one of these wired up to my Sorcerer.. This thing eliminates all the downsides to controlled leds. I'm a huge fan.

Have you fired it up yet? I'm really interested in your results since it's the first System9 it has been installed in.

Quoted from SDobek:

Hi Herg - did you still have plans to sell just the boards and let people build their own harnesses? Seems like a ton of work on your end having you assemble all of them.

Yeah, if you're interested, we could work something out. The downside to this is that a lot of the parts are tough to get in small quantities (unless you use crimp and stuff connectors). I have also put a good bit of time into tooling to make them easier. I have jigs for measuring and cutting the wires, holding the connectors while I punch down the wires, etc. I have dramatically reduced the required assembly time, and it currently accounts for about $15 of the final cost.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Have you fired it up yet? I'm really interested in your results since it's the first System9 it has been installed in

Yeah, it looks great on default settings with mixed led & bulb lights. I Cant wait to start playing around with it. This board is a must have if you use any leds.

#111 6 years ago

Just throwing this in here. Out of the box the board works great on Whirlwind. I was quite happy with it + my frosted leds I tested it with

I may tweak it once I do the full led swap,if I do I will upload the profile.

#112 6 years ago

Does the LED OCD board work on both the playfield lights and that backbox lights? I've started replacing the lights in the backbox with LEDs and they flicker, and it's very distracting in the backbox.

#113 6 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

Does the LED OCD board work on both the playfield lights and that backbox lights? I've started replacing the lights in the backbox with LEDs and they flicker, and it's very distracting in the backbox.

If what you are talking about is the constant flicker, which only noflix LEDs cure...not really. This is more to cure the flicker caused by LEDs when a lamp fades.

#114 6 years ago

I'm going to switch them back to be regular bulbs. These is unbearable, imo.

#115 6 years ago

Backbox lighting is GI. To be honest if Herg made a small tie-in board to smoothen out the GI circuit (or even add fade effects via a capacitor) I would be all over that. When using LEDs for the GI on Addams Family, for example, the flickering during the start of multiball is a bit disorienting compared to the smooth fade of incandescents. I can't see it being difficult to make and it would only make sense given his taste in fading circuits. It would also allow people to save money on non-rectified and premium no-flicker/fading LEDs. Please do this Herg!

#116 6 years ago

As DrStarkweather says, LED OCD is only for the lamp matrix, not the GI. I still use incandescent bulbs in my GI other than a few here and there. In most cases, I even pull some of them out of the backbox so I get less glare off the playfield glass.

To do the GI the way I would want to, it would take a good bit of big hardware. To be honest, I already have my hands full with just the LED OCD work, my day job, and my 1 year old son.

1 week later
    #117 6 years ago

How difficult is this board to connect? What is involved?

#118 6 years ago

There are installation instructions with pictures on my website.
    http://herg.homeip.net/ledocd/install.html

I personally think it's very easy, but I've installed them hundreds of times, so I've had a lot of practice. Everything is cables with connectors. There is no soldering or hacking involved. You don't have to do any of the tweaking using a PC if you don't want to.

#119 6 years ago

its really just disconnecting and reconnecting IDC cables. Herg has detailed instructions and its really just this side of idiot proof. Super easy install.

2 weeks later
    #120 6 years ago

I have 1 WPC kit and 1 Sys11 kit left. If anyone wants either, I'll be in Allentown Saturday. The price at the show will be $140. No booth, just walking around.

PM me for a phone number or look for a blue polo shirt, white/black stripes and a 1yr old boy.

#121 6 years ago

Both have been claimed. Thanks, guys.

#122 6 years ago

Herg,

I can't tell you how great my IM looks after installing the LED OCD.
    Thanks again for a great product and great support.

Buy with extreme confidence!

Bill

#123 6 years ago

Bill,

That's great to hear.

As for others buying them, they're all gone until I have another batch made. Right now, I don't have enough interest to make more. If anyone wants one, please send me a preorder request, and I'll make more once the list is long enough.

1 month later
    #124 6 years ago

I've pulled the trigger on a new batch of LED OCD boards, and they should be available late July. This batch will include Stern kits only, no WPC/Sys11/DE kits will be made.

These kits use a newly designed PCB that simplifies both the cable assembly and installation. As a result, my cost to build them is lower, and I am going to lower the price of the Stern kits to $129. Functionally, they are exactly the same as the old design. If you would like to be notified when they are ready to purchase, please send a pre-order request here:
    http://herg.homeip.net/ledocd/preorder.html

I have a preliminary set of installation instructions on the website that will let you see how much easier these are to install than the previous design.
    http://herg.homeip.net/ledocd/install_whitestar_r3.html

#125 6 years ago

Awesome cant wait these boards are awesome.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

LED OCD is an add-on lamp controller that solves the following problems when using LEDs in pinball machines.

Looks great!

I think both you and the LED interface board are OCD.

Robert

2 weeks later
    #127 6 years ago

For those who would like to be able to export/import/share settings, I've added support to the configuration tool (v1.2.1). It's available on the website.

http://herg.homeip.net/ledocd/

#128 6 years ago

Man, I can't win with you lol...

First you don't have Sys11 boards, then I sell my sys11. Then you have Sys11 boards, but I have a Stern and you don't have them. I sell my Stern I wanted them for, then didn't have any money when I got a game that I did want it for, LOL..... now that I have a WPC, you don't have any WPC ones. Doh!!

Anyone got a WPC one they decided they don't want?

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Anyone got a WPC one they decided they don't want?

You missed that by a month as well.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-new-ledocd-board-wpc95

Once I can recoup some of the money I spent on this Stern build, I will probably be building a batch of the WPC/Sys11/DE ones. I use pre-orders to gauge interest, and I'm a few short of being able to break even on a batch of them.

#130 6 years ago

Yeah, I know lol. I'm working 147 hours this week and next, so at least I'll have money when you get around to running them lol.

1 week later
    #131 6 years ago

The new batch of Stern kits are now available for purchase on the website:

http://herg.homeip.net/ledocd/

Here's a couple pictures that I took during the QA testing. I just thought it was kinda cool, and this is only a fraction of the boards from this run.

IMG_7432.JPG IMG_7433.JPG

#132 6 years ago

BUMP for the night crowd.

#133 6 years ago

Tron is obviously lonely and anxiously awaiting the arrival of Metallica.

#134 6 years ago

That space should be filled soon enough. It does make it easy to get in there and test boards in the meantime, though.

1 week later
    #135 6 years ago

Just installed this board into Tron and SM. What a difference this board makes! One of the best mods I've had the pleasure to install. IM is next!!!

#136 6 years ago

I'm glad you like it, and thanks for the feedback.

There's still plenty of these available.

#137 6 years ago

I am planning on ordering one eventually. I hope I don't wait until you are sold out.

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from jints56:

Just installed this board into Tron and SM. What a difference this board makes! One of the best mods I've had the pleasure to install. IM is next!!!

When did you get Tron?? Fantastic game!!

#139 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

When did you get Tron?? Fantastic game!!

Last weekend.

#140 6 years ago

Sweet. Just picked up a HUO RBION and installed CT in all the inserts. It definitely flickers, but only in the attract mode. I have all no-ghost LEDs, so I'm debating Herg's board (it works better without the no-ghost). It definitely makes a difference.

#141 6 years ago

I installed mine in an DE LAH today - MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT (elimination!) with regard to ghosting- just out of the box. Haven't even tried to optimize it. I'll be ordering some LEDs for my just acquired tron then installing the stern version soon. Thanks!

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Sweet. Just picked up a HUO RBION and installed CT in all the inserts. It definitely flickers, but only in the attract mode. I have all no-ghost LEDs, so I'm debating Herg's board (it works better without the no-ghost). It definitely makes a difference.

From my experience, the LED controller will work with no-ghost LEDs just as well as with regular LEDs. We tested it in my SM with no-ghost LEDs and it worked great.
    For games that don't already have LEDs, it is probably best to get a less expensive LED (to save money) that is bright and then use the LED controller to lower the brightness to your selected optimal level.

#143 6 years ago

I haven't seen this thread until now, but I am definitely interested if you do another round of the other boards. I have a STTNG that still needs LEDs, and I will have a GnR that has LEDs by next month. Has anyone tried this on GnR yet?

Once I get the GnR in the gameroom, I will see if the flicker is an issue. I burned the non ghosting rom for STTNG, and it seems to really eliminate the ghosting in the few LED tests I have done. I haven't tested enough to know the fading on that game though.

Are you fairly close to the pre order level for the non Stern boards?

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I haven't seen this thread until now, but I am definitely interested if you do another round of the other boards.

Ditto!!

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

I installed mine in an DE LAH today - MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT (elimination!) with regard to ghosting- just out of the box. Haven't even tried to optimize it. I'll be ordering some LEDs for my just acquired tron then installing the stern version soon. Thanks!

Great! I'm glad you're pleased with it.

Quoted from DCFAN:

From my experience, the LED controller will work with no-ghost LEDs just as well as with regular LEDs.

As long as it's properly configured, the difference is minimal, but the no ghost bulbs do limit the minimum brightness you can use. It still looks a lot better with the board than without.

Quoted from Nexyss:

I haven't seen this thread until now, but I am definitely interested if you do another round of the other boards. I have a STTNG that still needs LEDs, and I will have a GnR that has LEDs by next month. Has anyone tried this on GnR yet?
    Once I get the GnR in the gameroom, I will see if the flicker is an issue. I burned the non ghosting rom for STTNG, and it seems to really eliminate the ghosting in the few LED tests I have done. I haven't tested enough to know the fading on that game though.
    Are you fairly close to the pre order level for the non Stern boards?

I guess I fail at marketing.

It's a judgement call on when I'm ready to make non Stern ones, but I am fairly close to the number of preorders. That said, I've had a lot of Stern preorders decline to order this time through. Maybe it's just because of the summer lull.

#146 6 years ago
    Quoted from jints56:

I just installed this in my Tron today as well. I agree, big improvement, and the build quality and packaging is top notch. Nice job!

#147 6 years ago

How well does the board work with a mix of LED and incandescent?

#148 6 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

How well does the board work with a mix of LED and incandescent?

I believe Herg may have it set up that way in his LOTR. I am sure he will chime in either tonight or early tomorrow morning.

#149 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I guess I fail at marketing.

The thread title is super obscure, I've read it before and still couldn't remember what it was before I clicked through again tonight.

#150 6 years ago

Will you be demonstrating these at Expo?

There are 759 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside