(Topic ID: 29684)

FS: LED OCD - Eliminate LED flicker/strobe/ghost - Control brightness

By herg

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5703E8D3-F92F-45D6-B6F5-4CC9794E3587 (resized).jpeg
    F09AB0F2-439F-49A9-9CD6-95B2E440C3EB (resized).jpeg
    AA6FAB3A-28EA-422F-913F-939E053D861F (resized).jpeg
    20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png
    There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.
    #51 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Which cables, and how much longer? I will try to address it if / when I make more. I don't want to make them too long and have to deal with a wad of wire, though.

specifically it was the 20pin connector one. I originally positioned my board 90 degrees different from your tutorial, as I wanted to avoid overlapping the big yellow sticker in the middle of my backbox. It was just about a couple inches too short to do it that way. So I had to position exactly like your tutorial to make it work.

2 weeks later
    #52 11 years ago

Just a quick update. I've pulled the trigger on another batch of these, and I should have them ready to ship by mid-March. About 60% of them are currently accounted for with the pre-orders I already have.

Quoted from DrStarkweather:

specifically it was the 20pin connector one.

I'm adding 3 inches to the cable length in this run. Thanks for the feedback.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad I could help. You are making an excellent mod here.

#54 11 years ago

How's the System 11 coming along?

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from gjbwalker:

How's the System 11 coming along?

It has been successfully tested in a BK2K, and your pre-order is one of the ones that should be ready mid-March.

#56 11 years ago

That's awesome! I'm going to put it in My Whirlwind (It was going into my Pinbot, but I'm restoring my WW, and I think that will complete the look)

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Just a quick update. I've pulled the trigger on another batch of these, and I should have them ready to ship by mid-March. About 60% of them are currently accounted for with the pre-orders I already have.

I'm REALLY excited about these! This platform has a ton of potential and the fact that each game can get completely customized, and then those settings can be shared, is awesome. I think we are just on the tip of the iceberg with this one...

-Jay

#58 11 years ago

PM sent
    I need one for spidey

#59 11 years ago

BDillon, I've added you for another Stern.

Anyone else that wants added can go to http://herg.homeip.net/ledocd/purchase.html. The waiting list is automated, and it will timestamp your request so that I know what order to contact you.

1 week later
    #60 11 years ago

Yesterday, gjbwalker installed a kit in his Data East TFTC, so that's one more boardset that has been confirmed working. Thanks for the help!

I'm in the process of building cables, and the board manufacturer is working on the boards for the next batch of kits.

#61 11 years ago

Posted this in a separate thread but here is some video of Hergs board in a LOTR LE. Softens the LEDs quite a bit IMO.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=plGBHuK66iE

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from BDillon:

PM sent
    I need one for spidey

Please post how it does with SM.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Please post how it does with SM.

DrStarkweather, I think, can tell you about that.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

DrStarkweather, I think, can tell you about that.

I feel like this was made with SM in mind (even though I know it wasn't).

First of all, there is no flickering on things like the venom and sandman inserts when they are only partially illuminated. Also same goes with the 2x and 3x shot indicators. Its all settable too. So its up to you how bright each level of brightness is. I was not going to put LEDs in my SM until I decided to do this. Too much is lost with all that flickering. But this fixes it up.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from Zdoor:

Posted this in a separate thread but here is some video of Hergs board in a LOTR LE. Softens the LEDs quite a bit IMO.

This just looks amazing... There is no reason to stick with incandescent in an LOTR now that the OCD board is available. I can't wait to get my Stern cables!

#66 11 years ago

Dam your out of stock on the web and I want one for tron

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from Zdoor:

It was probably my fault, but it took me a few minutes to figure out how to watch the video using that link. This one works better for me. Thanks for taking the time to make the video and mentioning it here. It's great to see the results people are getting.

#68 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar1:

Dam your out of stock on the web and I want one for tron

Yes, it is VERY rare that I will have these in stock. I'm an Engineer by day, and this is just a hobby. Having a bunch sitting around would be too expensive. If you want one, send a pre-order request. I don't ask for any money until I'm ready to ship. I'm expecting to be ready to ship a bunch mid-March.

#69 11 years ago

I gotta stop buying pins and save some money for these. Doctor Who and Tron would both benefit a LOT from one of these. =P

#70 11 years ago

Herg, I know you've said you'll be keeping your TZ all incandescent(as am I for the time being), but I can't remember if you ever posted a video or shared why the LED OCD doesn't look so good in it.

#71 11 years ago

It's not so much that LED OCD doesn't look good in TZ, it's more that I like the yellowish glow of incandescents in it. Even warm white LEDs are a little more cool in color than I'd prefer in TZ.

If you like the colors of LEDs in TZ, but you want them react more smoothly, rest assured that LED OCD works great with it.

#72 11 years ago

I agree that CoinTaker's warm white frosted LEDs aren't as warm as I would prefer, they are more of a pure white. The look more authentic under plastics and behind ramps.

#73 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

If you like the colors of LEDs in TZ...

That's just it, I don't.....yet.

I'm sure that someone will come out with LED's that are closer to the "real deal" in the future. Then, you and I will have a little chat.

#74 11 years ago

Another thing I want to mention! You don't need to buy CT Premiums or Ghostbusters with Herg's mod. It does the job that they would. So consider the money and flexibility you save by just getting regular LEDs and leverage that against the cost of Herg's mod and its pretty awesome if you ask me.

#75 11 years ago

Another thing I want to mention! You don't need to buy CT Premiums or Ghostbusters with Herg's mod. It does the job that they would. So consider the money and flexibility you save by just getting regular LEDs and leverage that against the cost of Herg's mod and its pretty awesome if you ask me.

It's a net loss. I did the math, but over time it will become LESS of a loss as you replace any LEDs that might die. There's about a 50-60$ difference between using single LED flattops from PBL and supers from CT for most games. I agree that if you're getting an OCD board, there's absolutely no reason to buy "premium" leds unless they have a color or lighting characteristic you like more. Flexibility in choosing your leds is through the roof.

I was a little surprised when I did the math, but then I remembered that it doesn't affect things like the GI lights... and for me, GI lighting and backbox is a LOT of bulbs. You still need premiums on those if the 60hz strobe bugs you. It drives me nuts.

#76 11 years ago

Use frosted LEDs for GI, they are also rectified. You really have to look close to notice the flicker on these vs the unrectified LEDs which give you a headache.

#77 11 years ago

I need one for SM too....pre-ordered on your web site......sweeeeet!

#78 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It's a net loss. I did the math, but over time it will become LESS of a loss as you replace any LEDs that might die. There's about a 50-60$ difference between using single LED flattops from PBL and supers from CT for most games. I agree that if you're getting an OCD board, there's absolutely no reason to buy "premium" leds unless they have a color or lighting characteristic you like more. Flexibility in choosing your leds is through the roof.
    I was a little surprised when I did the math, but then I remembered that it doesn't affect things like the GI lights... and for me, GI lighting and backbox is a LOT of bulbs. You still need premiums on those if the 60hz strobe bugs you. It drives me nuts.

True. I use CT Frosted more than anything else, and the difference between a Frosted Premium and standard Frosted is $0.80. Say 80 insert bulbs in a loaded Stern, and you're in the $60 range. If you're going for lowest cost, though, I'm sure incandescent would win mathematically. That's not the only reason to use OCD, though.

#79 11 years ago

I have one in my T2 and I love it. Do not hesitate to preorder one, really awesome product IMO.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I didn't mean to imply that you would end up ahead, but rather that the money you save on not getting premiums makes the OCD cheaper in my eyes.

#81 11 years ago

I didn't mean to imply that you would end up ahead, but rather that the money you save on not getting premiums makes the OCD cheaper in my eyes.

That's exactly how I see it.

I love the CT frosted for GI. When given the chance, I will absolutely not use ANYTHING else. I just put LED in all my GI for doctor who, but I can promise you, after TPF, every single one of those bulbs are coming out and getting swapped to CT Frosteds.... I already have had Stargate, Space Shuttle, Tron and STTNG with them...not about to stop now.

#82 11 years ago

Hey Herg. Can't believe I just saw this info. I already have Premiums in a SM so I'm guessing I should switch them out if I get the board. Guessing supers would be best. When selecting the game are there any presets as far as dimming, etc or is it mostly experimentation?

#83 11 years ago

If I had a machine that was already decked out in Premiums, I'd at least try OCD with them before replacing all of them. That is, unless you have another use for the Premium bulbs.

There are default settings, but they are a "best guess" that cannot take the particular machine, bulbs, etc. into account. It should look pretty good with the default settings, but will probably look better if you take the time to experiment. I'm happy to help suggest changes given information about a specific game/lamp combination, and I'm hoping that one day, other users will be able to share their experience.

#84 11 years ago

i put one in my bdk made a world of difference even in the defalt mode, easy install,would buy another in a second.

#85 11 years ago

p.s. i used it with cointaker premiums

#86 11 years ago

Curious how this would work with No Flix Plus. I use them exclusively and the only machine that they really don't seem to do well on is my Spiderman. I have flickering Villan inserts when I complete one. Other than that they look unreal

#87 11 years ago

Yeah, it would be interesting. I honestly do not know how they'd react. In my opinion, it would be more of an experiment than a real usage case, though. The cost of NoFlix Plus with OCD added on top would be pretty steep.

2 weeks later
    #88 11 years ago

Any time frame on the next batch?

#89 11 years ago

Cables are done! That was a LOT of work, but luckily, I had some child labor to help in the process.

// Error: Image 80991 not found // // Error: Image 80990 not found //

Actually, 35 sets of cables are built, based on the preorders when I placed my orders for parts. Now, there are very close to 50 preorders, so I will need to order more parts once I get a better idea of what I still need. I ordered 50 boards.

Boards should be here this week, according to the estimate from the fab house. I sent them a request for an update this morning.

Once I have boards, I will have to do final assembly, testing, and packaging. Assuming all goes well, they should be shipping no later than the last week of this month.

#90 11 years ago

Pictures didn't upload the first time.

#91 11 years ago

Holy crap and I thought I'd done a fair amount of cabling selling my splitters.

/fail!

2 weeks later
    #92 11 years ago

Just in case anyone is interested, I've shipped a bunch of these in the past week. The Stern ones are all spoken for, and I think I'll have a couple of WPC ones left once I get more parts and work through the rest of the preorders.

I have a few Sys11/DE ones that could ship now if anyone is interested in those.

#93 11 years ago

Looks like mine is on the way....

I've already built a data file for AC/DC Pro. I'm using CT LEDs. I'll send you a copy of the file and notes on what adjustments I make to dial it in.

#94 11 years ago

Once this really gets out there I think Robin should add functionality to the site where you can upload your own LED OCD configuration files so everyone has access to optimal per-game settings. This will allow people to enjoy the device without spending a tremendous amount of time fine-tuning the settings to make it look right. There can be versions for CoinTaker, Pinball Life, Ablaze, etc. Add it as a tab to the game info page.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from MadPole:

Looks like mine is on the way....

Yours should be there Friday.

Quoted from Crash:

Once this really gets out there I think Robin should add functionality to the site where you can upload your own LED OCD configuration files

As cool as that sounds, I don't think it's very practical. An example of why:

I have a HS2 that I LED'd and OCD'd. I think it looks great. For Christmas, I gave my brother an OCD board for his HS2 and the exact same selection of LEDs along with a map of where to use them. He installed all the stuff, but never got around to hooking up a PC and tweaking the settings. He said he was really happy with the way they looked without any adjustments.

I finally visited him a couple weeks ago, and while I was there, I was surprised at how good the default settings looked. We did finally hook up a PC and try some different settings here and there, but we settled back on the default settings for all the LEDs.

Same game, same LEDs, same PERSON even, but different settings. I'm not sure if it's the room lighting difference, the condition of his inserts, or what, but it needed different settings.

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

nce this really gets out there I think Robin should add functionality to the site where you can upload your own LED OCD configuration files so everyone has access to optimal per-game settings. This will allow people to enjoy the device without spending a tremendous amount of time fine-tuning the settings to make it look right. There can be versions for CoinTaker, Pinball Life, Ablaze, etc. Add it as a tab to the game info page.

Quoted from herg:

As cool as that sounds, I don't think it's very practical. An example of why:

Maybe it might be worth it for jump off points though? Some games like SM and IM have a few lights that have a very specific fade that could be useful to have someone else's input

#97 11 years ago

Good point. I do think it would be very useful to discuss techniques used to get the best results, and in some cases that could be used from one game to the next. I don't know the lighting on IM well enough to say that the SM procedure could be applied, but maybe.

As it stands, the only way to capture the settings is with screenshots. As time allows, writing the settings to a file would probably be useful. Applying them directly may not really work well, but maybe they would be useful to share ideas, or even to use as backups for your own games. I haven't done it yet since the time to write the code was better spent elsewhere.

#98 11 years ago

I've got a few LEDs in my TZ, not many, but I have a full set waiting to be installed. What is there though is Ingos new clock board with LEDs. There is a noticeable flicker on those LEDs. Will the LED OCD board reduce the flicker coming from these LEDs too?

#99 11 years ago

Unfortunately, no. The TZ clock lighting is not part of the lamp matrix.

#100 11 years ago

Ahh, damn. It's the one thing that bugs me on my TZ at this time;( I'll probably still get your board though, so it's the only LED issue once I put the LEDs in.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.