We're back!

After a disaster in our datacenter took down our server, we are now running Pinside on a brand new server. However, things may not work as expected as we are still polishing the playfield and adjusting some switches! We might be switching to maintenance mode a few times. Please see this forum topic for more info.

(Topic ID: 29684)

FS: LED OCD - Eliminate LED flicker/strobe/ghost - Control brightness

By herg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 835 posts
  • 168 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by pinballinreno
  • Topic is favorited by 126 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 17.
    #751 4 years ago

I just bought both LED OCD and GI OCD for my Monster Bash tune-up. Honestly, its had LEDs in it so long, I don't recall if there is any fading in the GI or controlled boards, so I'm curious what kind of difference I'll see. Strobing is pretty bad and the LEDs are kinda harsh so OCD should be able to help me with that.

#752 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

I just bought both LED OCD and GI OCD for my Monster Bash tune-up. Honestly, its had LEDs in it so long, I don't recall if there is any fading in the GI or controlled boards, so I'm curious what kind of difference I'll see. Strobing is pretty bad and the LEDs are kinda harsh so OCD should be able to help me with that.

you will love the softer transition between on/off states. also, if you use the software, it's possible to overdrive your bulbs to make them brighter, if you want.

#753 4 years ago

I absolutely cant live without my ocd boards. Some games are more noticeable than others and some simply make the game playable.

#754 4 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I absolutely cant live without my ocd boards. Some games are more noticeable than others and some simply make the game playable.

You got that right, my NASCAR, Avatar and BoP are beautiful even at the stock setting. NASCAR was the worst of the 3, almost made ya sick looking at it.

9 months later
    #755 3 years ago

Any deals on this for the holidays??

#757 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

How did this end up? I have an LEDOCD in my MB as well, and I certainly notice a difference - however, it's just not as drastic as the difference on TZ. The light show on MB isn't amazing or anything, so it is a little harder to tell. Still, LEDOCD is awesome to have in *any* game. Now I need to buy one for LOTR...

3 months later
    #758 3 years ago

Sorry for the 3 month late reply! LED OCD is fantastic in Monster Bash. Well worth the money and indeed I had forgotten how much better the incandescent lighting behavior looks. Now its the best of both worlds with the deep, vibrant LED colors and soft transitions of incandescent. Love it.

#759 3 years ago

I have both OCD's in my Jackbot and it's perfect now.

2 years later
    #760 3 months ago

I’m looking for something to reduce flicker on a Shrek pinball. Is this the right type of product and will it work on a Stern from 2008? Thanks.

#761 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m looking for something to reduce flicker on a Shrek pinball. Is this the right type of product and will it work on a Stern from 2008? Thanks.

Yup. $135 from Herg. Well worth it.

http://ledocd.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2

#762 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

It’s perfect, plus no anti-ghosting LEDs.

#763 3 months ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

It’s perfect, plus no anti-ghosting LEDs.

TigerLaw: That is statement is nonsense. LEDOCD does not benefit from anti ghosting LEDs. Quite the contrary is the case. It works best with non-anti-ghosting LEDs that don't cut off the low intensities. Checke their website for an in depth explanation, but definitely don't follow this bad advice.

#764 3 months ago

I put one in my Spider-Man. The cool thing is you can control the intensity of each bulb. It is an excellent product. You do not need anti-ghosting bulbs.

#765 3 months ago

Pretty sure the previous comment was that it has the additional plus that you don't need non-ghosting leds. Pretty sure you read his statement wrong.

#766 3 months ago

I have had one in my Tron for years. Love it.

#767 3 months ago
    Quoted from Sprudeldudel:

TigerLaw: That is statement is nonsense. LEDOCD does not benefit from anti ghosting LEDs. Quite the contrary is the case. It works best with non-anti-ghosting LEDs that don't cut off the low intensities. Checke their website for an in depth explanation, but definitely don't follow this bad advice.

I think he was stating that “with LEDOCD you do not / should not use anti-ghosting LEDs”. Perhaps you misread the statement

#768 3 months ago

Perfect. Yea, this 2008 Stern needs some help with the lighting. I’ll order the part today. Thanks.

#769 3 months ago

My statement is correct. I would agree it’s poorly worded, but if you read it properly then you would realise that “Nonsense” is a bit harsh.

#770 3 months ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

My statement is correct. I would agree it’s poorly worded, but if you read it properly then you would realise that “Nonsense” is a bit harsh.

Re-read it. You are right. In both of your posts

#771 3 months ago

Re-read it. You are right. In both of your posts

Thank you.

Hugs and kisses xxx

#772 3 months ago

The difference in lighting is pretty astonishing after installing the LED OCD and GI OCD. I put it in every game that I converted to LED...I could never go back to that blinky ghosting crap.

#773 3 months ago

Anyone recommend LEDOCD for a IMVE Iron Man VE?

#774 3 months ago

So if the game already has non-ghosting led’s throughout there is no benefit to add the LED OCD board ?

#775 3 months ago
    Quoted from Viperbsd:

So if the game already has non-ghosting led’s throughout there is no benefit to add the LED OCD board ?

LEDs are an instant on/off by nature. The LED OCD board makes them power on and off more like incandescent bulbs. It's a quick and subtle change, but once you see it, you can't unsee it...and you can't go back to the harsh on/off of before.

#776 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

That game came with LEDs from the factory so I would think it doesn’t need it?

#777 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Quoted from TigerLaw:

My own answer to this question above has me wondering if I need LEDOCD for my Tron Pro? It’s flicker is not near as bad as Shrek’s...but it does suffer from a bit of flicker as it was designed for incandescent bulbs...

#778 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yes I know it doesn’t need it, but I’d bet that it would smooth out the harshness of the instant ON/OFF of LEDs

“Simulate the fade on/off of incandescent lamps. By gradually changing the brightness of the bulbs, LEDs are made to fade on/off instead of their typical abrupt changes.”

#779 3 months ago

It works well for any game, new or old. Try it out and you'll see!

#780 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

My own answer to this question above has me wondering if I need LEDOCD for my Tron Pro? It’s flicker is not near as bad as Shrek’s...but it does suffer from a bit of flicker as it was designed for incandescent bulbs...

An LED OCD board for any game that was compatible was 100% mandatory for me. It adds a beautiful layer of dimming and fading effect during play and during attract.

Buy one, see the difference, and get ready to add them to your other games.

#781 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Yes I know it doesn’t need it, but I’d bet that it would smooth out the harshness of the instant ON/OFF of LEDs
    “Simulate the fade on/off of incandescent lamps. By gradually changing the brightness of the bulbs, LEDs are made to fade on/off instead of their typical abrupt changes.”

Pretty sure IMve already has the equivalent of an ocd board built in. I’m not sure about this, but don’t think you can put incandescent bulbs in the game.

#782 3 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Pretty sure IMve already has the equivalent of an ocd board built in. I’m not sure about this, but don’t think you can put incandescent bulbs in the game.

IMVE does have a board that deals a bit with the addition of LED’s in the vault edition but in no way is it equivalent to an OCD board. And I did not say anything about putting incandescent bulbs in the game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list/page/11#post-1783636

#783 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

An LED OCD board for any game that was compatible was 100% mandatory for me. It adds a beautiful layer of dimming and fading effect during play and during attract.
    Buy one, see the difference, and get ready to add them to your other games.

Got it. It looks like it is the exact same one for the Tron Pro.

So, basically, what you are saying is I’m going to end up getting this for my TZ, TAF, and BSD as well? I hadn’t noticed any flicker with those, but I’ve not really been lookin for it. The flicker is off the chain on Shrek.

#784 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

IMVE does have a board that deals a bit with the addition of LED’s in the vault edition but in no way is it equivalent to an OCD board. And I did not say anything about putting incandescent bulbs in the game.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list/page/11#post-1783636

I know you didn’t mention incandescent, just saying IMve is set up with a different lighting system. For example, It doesn’t have ghosting issues that many SaM and whitestar games suffer from. Led-ocd does offer it for the VE, but I’m not sure you will notice much of a difference relative to what you’d see in game that was originally built for incandescent bulbs.

#785 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, basically, what you are saying is I’m going to end up getting this for my TZ, TAF, and BSD as well? I hadn’t noticed any flicker with those, but I’ve not really been lookin for it. The flicker is off the chain on Shrek.

For the record, it's not necessarily ONLY for the flicker, but - as I think other people have stated - it also help with the HARSH "on" and "off" of LEDs. (The sharp warm-up and cool-down of the light being emitted.)

#786 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

To me, it’s less about the flicker than the fade. LEDs are on or off. With Herg’s board, there’s a fade pattern you won’t get with normal or even non-ghosting LEDs.

I rarely say trust me, but trust me.

Edit: Coyote beat me by 46 seconds.

#787 3 months ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I know you didn’t mention incandescent, just saying IMve is set up with a different lighting system. For example, It doesn’t have ghosting issues that many SaM and whitestar games suffer from. Led-ocd does offer it for the VE, but I’m not sure you will notice much of a difference relative to what you’d see in game that was originally built for incandescent bulbs.

But the VE is still really just like the original - built for incandescents. It just has boards are that are simply pullup / pulldown resistors. Their purpose is to minimize ghosting due to leakage current through the transistors. I’d have to think that the OCD board would dramatically change the way you see the LEDs turn on and off to more like incandescents do. Guess I’ll try it and report back. Also wonder if it would work on SMVE though I have seen no mention about it on Hergs website or here.

#788 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I rarely say trust me, but trust me.

Alright bro, I ordered four of these today based on your suggestion (you are officially an influencer). Shrek, Tron, TZ, and BSD are all about to get the upgrade. We will see how this mod does.

#789 3 months ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Someone asked the same question a while ago, so I tried to provide 2 useful replies over in the Iron Man thread. They even have pictures!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club/page/66#post-4374502

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-man-owners-club?tu=monkeyboypaul

In short, yes I use an OCD in IMVE, but it needs a little extra thought.

I’ve used OCD boards in Met Pro and TWD Pro too - they’re much better, especially TWD. Currently have them in all compatible games - TZ & FT (LED & GI OCD), IMVE, TRON & SM. MET PREM isn't compatible, MAIDEN PREM doesn’t need it as Spike pulled Stern’s finger out with regard control of LED inserts.

BUT like the product title suggests, the effect IS subtle (got OCD!), but once seen it cannot be unseen. Some people simply can’t (or refuse to) see it. Your money your choice.

#790 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

My own answer to this question above has me wondering if I need LEDOCD for my Tron Pro?

I absolutely love my LED OCD in my Tron. It's a night and day difference for me personally, once you see it you wouldn't ever want to go back.

#791 3 months ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Alright bro, I ordered four of these today based on your suggestion (you are officially an influencer). Shrek, Tron, TZ, and BSD are all about to get the upgrade. We will see how this mod does.

Ha, you won’t regret it. As mentioned before, make sure to use normal LEDs and not the non-ghosting type. They’ll work, but the effect won’t be as pronounced. I recommend Comet 2SMD.

Be sure to report back on the results!

#792 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Be sure to report back on the results!

Absolutely will.

Thanks for all the assistance and help with the questions yesterday gang. When I bumped this years old thread I was worried there would be no feedback.

#793 3 months ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

I recommend Comet 2SMD.

same!

#794 3 months ago

I’ve been reading through this thread and I’m a little confused as to what the difference was between the LEDOCD board & the GI OCD board... I’m thinking of picking some up for the LED ghosting in my TZ & CFTBL pins but I’m not sure which of the 2 (or both) will do what I need.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!

#795 3 months ago
    Quoted from qbass187:

I’ve been reading through this thread and I’m a little confused as to what the difference was between the LEDOCD board & the GI OCD board... I’m thinking of picking some up for the LED ghosting in my TZ & CFTBL pins but I’m not sure which of the 2 (or both) will do what I need.
    Thanks!!

LEDOCD - handles Insert and controlled lamps.
    GIOCD - handles GI lamps.

If your budget is limited, get LEDOCD first. If not, get both.

#796 3 months ago

My opinion is biased, but here's my take on IMVE. The LED vs incandescent option in the firmware (both for IMVE and original builds); for LED it dumbs down the lightshows to avoid any brightness control that results in flickering. The lightshow in Iron Man is spectacular, so I don't want it dumbed down in my game. Like monkeyboypaul , I use the incandescent mode along with LED OCD and LEDs.

#797 3 months ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

really depends. If you are sensitive to strobe effect, it can make sense to change GI first. if not, inserts first is the way to go.

#798 3 months ago
    Quoted from herg:

My opinion is biased, but here's my take on IMVE. The LED vs incandescent option in the firmware (both for IMVE and original builds); for LED it dumbs down the lightshows to avoid any brightness control that results in flickering. The lightshow in Iron Man is spectacular, so I don't want it dumbed down in my game. Like monkeyboypaul , I use the incandescent mode along with LED OCD and LEDs.

What do you know about SMVE? Does LEDOCD work with it too?

#799 3 months ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

LEDOCD - handles Insert and controlled lamps.
    GIOCD - handles GI lamps.

It’s the ghosting on the PF that really drives me nuts. There’s a couple like the gumball bulb that bug me but if I had to choose it’s the PF inserts.
    I’ll give the OCD a whirl. Thanks for the help!!

#800 3 months ago
    Quoted from qbass187:

Thanks!!

When you install LEDs in your GI lamps on a WPC game you will lose the mpu controllled dimming effect. I bet there are people who don’t even realize this is a thing (if their game was already LED’d). The GI OCD board returns this feature. I personally like this so i left my GI incandescent in my CV until i bought this board.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 17.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside