(Topic ID: 29684)

FS: LED OCD - Eliminate LED flicker/strobe/ghost - Control brightness

By herg

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5703E8D3-F92F-45D6-B6F5-4CC9794E3587 (resized).jpeg
    F09AB0F2-439F-49A9-9CD6-95B2E440C3EB (resized).jpeg
    AA6FAB3A-28EA-422F-913F-939E053D861F (resized).jpeg
    20150906_004712.jpg
    20150307_175823.jpg
    20150307_212411.jpg
    20140905_184450.jpg
    260112-i.jpg
    Untitled-917.png
    Untitled-912.png
    IMG_6153.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    4.jpg
    LOTR.png
    no-ghost change.jpg
    LED OCD Ramp Example (No-Ghost).png
    There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.
    #651 9 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

I always thought insane fast was faster than crazy fast.
    I'm with herg, but I don't know if I feel sorry for people being able to see 120Hz strobbing or if you're lucky for having such a super power.

I can see it, but only if I move my head or watch the ball in darker areas of the playfield. It's really not that bad, and I forget about it quickly.

#652 9 years ago

the receptors around the edges of our eyes are far better at detecting movement than the receptors in the center of our eyes. if you want to see a flicker that you normally dont notice, look at the wall and just watch the lights with your peripheral vision.

#653 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

if you want to see a flicker that you normally dont notice, look at the wall and just watch the lights with your peripheral vision.

Wouldn't that make it difficult to play the game?

#654 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Wouldn't that make it difficult to play the game?

D'ope! You got me. Strobing doesn't exist, your board is a hoax, etc.

#655 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I wish the LED OCD would work with the Stern Premiums, sucks that games like METLE have such crappy harsh animations on the inserts, and the GI is so smooth.

I won't say never, but it's not a high priority. Technically, it would be challenging since the SPI bus would have to be run at a higher rate, and in a high noise environment, that usually doesn't work very well. The Premium games already look better than Pro, so the benefits would be less. Last, but not least, I don't own any Premium games.

Quoted from Crash:

D'ope! You got me. Strobing doesn't exist, your board is a hoax, etc.

I know you're joking, but just to clarify.

The OCD boards are tools that can help people improve the lighting in their games, but they're not always the best tool the job. WPC GI has dimming that can be very annoying to use with LEDs without GI OCD. Stern GI doesn't, and that fact makes a Stern GI OCD much less attractive. Any strobing that people might be able to see in Stern GI is far less obvious than the WPC GI flicker.

The right tools for Stern GI are probably either LEDs with built-in rectifiers and caps, a DC supply like Kneissl is using, or maybe a dumbed down version of GI OCD. At some point, I'll probably mess around with a GI OCD in my Stern games, but unless I could get the cost down quite a bit, I don't see it ever being a serious option.

#656 9 years ago

Is there any support for Capcom games?

Thanks,
    Mike

#657 9 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

Is there any support for Capcom games?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Sorry, but no Capcom support. I'm sure it's discussed somewhere in this thread, but the summary is that with a limited number of Capcom games out there combined with the fact that there are two lamp matrices in Capcom games, I don't think there would be very much demand for them. ...and the decisive factor, I don't own any Capcom games, myself.

1 week later
    #658 9 years ago

Regarding Stern GI, this evening I tried hooking up a bridge rectifier and a big bank of capacitors to my Tron GI.

It does a pretty good job of smoothing the edges on things like the spinner hit while Zuse is running. It's really subtle, so it wouldn't be worth spending all that much on, but I'll take a look at it to see how simply it could be made. If it was just a piggyback board with no cables, it might be cheap enough to make sense. It worked in my RBION (Whitestar) as well, so one design would work for all the modern Stern games.

Oh, and a quick update on the upcoming batch of WPC boards, they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. A few days for final assembly and testing, and the estimated Dec 1 date should be pretty close to correct.

#659 9 years ago

I'm trying to stop the flicker on my Spiderman Villain inserts as they appears to be flickering a little at the lowest settings - i.e the 1st time you beat each villain.

Any suggestions from the crowd?

Would you rename an unused Profile (called Villains?) and change the lower end setting B1-4 to be a little higher perhaps?

I'm using a mixture of these simpler/cheaper Comet Pinball bulbs:

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/8mm-led.htm?1=1&CartID=0
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd-ct-ft.htm?1=1&CartID=0

In my SuperHero insert i'm using a slow RGB colour changer, also from Comet, but for some reason it's not changing colour.... it just sticks on red! I've tried another of the same batch and it's the same behaviour. Also tried a completely different faster coloure changer RGB and works but does't display the reds... tested it at 100% through the OCD board but still the same.

slightly confused...

cheers.

#660 9 years ago
    Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Would you rename an unused Profile (called Villains?) and change the lower end setting B1-4 to be a little higher perhaps?

Close, but the key is to set B2/B3 and B5/B6 to identical values. When villain inserts are at "level 1" brightness, they bounce between B2 and B3, causing them to constantly change brightness.

There's more info specifically on these inserts in the support section of the website.
    http://ledocd.com/usage_led.html

As for the color changer, even setting OCD to 100% does not give a bulb constant power. It is still chopped up in time due to the matrix configuration. Some color changers and blinkers will have problems with this since they reset when they lose power for even a very short period.

#661 9 years ago

Everytime I read this thread (and also the LED OCD club thread) I'm amazed at the level of support that herg provides for his product. Thank you herg for releasing this product and also giving the level of support to it that it needs/deserves!

If I were polled, I would say that the LED OCD stuff is the best aftermarket addition to a game that you can do (that has LED bulbs). Bar none, without question, you get what you pay for...twice fold.

#662 9 years ago

yeah, after seeing it in action on my tron, when we LED a game at work I can't get past the "flickeryness" is has without the LEDOCD.
    top mod for sure!

#663 9 years ago

Herg is a god among men. He was right there for me when I had a problem getting my LEDOCD working. Looking forward to buying another one for IJ!

#664 9 years ago

Speaking of which...when do you plan to get more WPC LEDOCD boards in stock?

#665 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Speaking of which...when do you plan to get more WPC LEDOCD boards in stock?

The boards arrived today, and I just need to program and test them. I'm still planning for Dec 1, maybe a day or two before.

BTW, I made a few changes to the GI OCD design this time around. It still functions the same, but the board is about 3/4" narrower, so it fits better. You can actually get to the back row of screws now. I also changed the cables around a little bit and made a breakout PCB to get rid of the Z connectors. The new installation instructions are up on the website now, along with pictures.

1 week later
    #666 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

As for the color changer, even setting OCD to 100% does not give a bulb constant power. It is still chopped up in time due to the matrix configuration. Some color changers and blinkers will have problems with this since they reset when they lose power for even a very short period.

Do you know of any specific RGB colour changer makes/models that do and don't work in this respect?

#667 9 years ago

Not really. I don't use them often, so I don't have a very big sampling of them. I could try the few that I have when I get a chance, but it might be difficult to know where they came from.

#668 9 years ago

I just got the LED OCD installed in my Stern Indiana Jones, and it works great! Looking forward to putting your boards in my Twilight Zone and Addams Family!

#669 9 years ago

Herg, have you tried the board with interactive backboxes? Like the ones from flipper fidelity for instance? I wouldn't expect any issues, but just thought I'd ask.

#670 9 years ago

I have a Flipper Fidelity backbox kit in my RBION, and it doesn't actually interact with anything. It has some LED strips that can be controlled by an IR remote, but it doesn't use any of the machine outputs to affect anything. As such, it works just fine. Maybe the newer ones do interact with the machine; I just don't know.

#671 9 years ago

I just bought the controlled one with flashers. We'll see what happens soon .

#672 9 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I just bought the controlled one with flashers. We'll see what happens soon .

If it's only looking at flashers, LED OCD won't affect it. Only the lamp matrix is affected.

I've shipped a bunch of these in the past couple of days, and I'm almost caught up with the orders now. Thanks, guys.

Also, I would like to update the list of confirmed working games. If anyone is using one of my kits in a game that is still on the "Should work" list, please let me know, and I'll update the list.

#673 9 years ago

Just ordered another board. Woo-hoo!

#674 9 years ago

You need an ledocd punch card... Like if you buy 9 the tenth one is free

2 weeks later
    #675 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Also, I would like to update the list of confirmed working games. If anyone is using one of my kits in a game that is still on the "Should work" list, please let me know, and I'll update the list.

I can confirm it works in Stern's 24.

2 months later
    #676 9 years ago

Just added this to my new Funhouse and man... this board should be a requirement_ when someone decides to add LEDs. I bought the GI board at the same time and I'm installing it tonight. I've never really played Funhouse before and it was impossible to understand what the insert lighting was telling me to do because of all the ghosting and flashing. As soon as I powered up with the OCD board in place, it was like a completely different game. Everything made total sense and I was able to see the lighting effects in the way that the programmer intended. Major, major kudos to the designer of this solution.

#677 9 years ago

Added one to F-14 tonight. Nice having the fade effects, definitely looks nice. Fine tuning was only needed on a couple of lights because of having incandescents in a few places. Very happy with the product!

I

20150307_175823.jpg20150307_175823.jpg
    #678 9 years ago

Wish I could add video but don't have a proper camera to film the effects.

#679 9 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Wish I could add video but don't have a proper camera to film the effects.

yeah, it's something that's gotta be seen in person, much like many lighting mods, pictures and video just don't do it justice.

#680 9 years ago

Added one to Bride of Pinbot tonight as well. Initial thoughts are good but I haven't had a chance to play a few games yet because I had to pick up my daughter from a thing. When I get back home, I'll play around with some adjustments.

I still need to do some cable management.

20150307_212411.jpg20150307_212411.jpg
    #681 9 years ago

Will this board work with X-Files? My buddy has one and I don't know if the hardware is similar to Stern.

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked at the site and it's listed as SHOULD work.

#682 9 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

Will this board work with X-files? My buddy has one and I don't know if the hardware is similar to Stern.
    EDIT: Nevermind, I looked at the site and it's listed as SHOULD work.

I'm pretty sure X-Files is on the Whitestar hardware, so it will work with a Stern board.

3 months later
    #683 8 years ago

Has anyone gotten the OCD software to work in Windows 8.1? I haven't tried it yet but am curious to know what others' results have been.

#684 8 years ago

I'm pretty sure my laptop had upgraded to Windows 8.1 before the most recent time I used the OCD software. I'd have to go back and test again to be sure, though.

#685 8 years ago

I just recently picked up a Fire! And converted to LEDs. I don't have any issues with strobing flickering or ghosting. Is it possible that these boards are not always needed? Sorry, I have only had experience with early SS games to this point.

#686 8 years ago

Yeah, some games have more issues than others.

I recently played a friend's F14 that looked fine without an OCD. Maybe it could have used the smoother on/off transistions, but it certainly didn't bother me while I was playing it.

Just like any other tool, you don't need it for every job.

#687 8 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Yeah, some games have more issues than others.
    I recently played a friend's F14 that looked fine without an OCD. Maybe it could have used the smoother on/off transistions, but it certainly didn't bother me while I was playing it.
    Just like any other tool, you don't need it for every job.

Great. Thanks for the info and making this product.

#688 8 years ago

Depends on your level of OCD too. I need it in all of my games

#689 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I just recently picked up a Fire! And converted to LEDs. I don't have any issues with strobing flickering or ghosting. Is it possible that these boards are not always needed? Sorry, I have only had experience with early SS games to this point.

Yep, just personal preference. I didn't have ghosting in my F-14, but wanted the smoother fade transitions. Personally I'm very happy.

I don't have one in my Demo Man, but feel like the abrupt on/off fits the title. Just my take.

My Bride had really bad ghosting with the LEDs it came with when I bought it so that's where it was a necessity in my eyes. Looks awesome now.

1 month later
    #690 8 years ago

Quick question about the LED OCD board...

I have an LOTR which I added LED's to. There are four (4) lights above the path of the dead, that correspond to the switches. I installed frosted green LEDs there and they are a little too bright for my liking. I like the color, like the frosted look, but a tad too bright. Would the LED OCD board allow you to control the brightness of these LEDs?

If I read everything correctly, the answer is yes - just looking for confirmation, if possible, on my specific situation.

Thanks in advance!

#691 8 years ago

Yes, in my space shuttle the green inserts wash out (white letters on them). I turned mine down to 10% and they look great

#692 8 years ago
    Quoted from dtowndobe:

Quick question about the LED OCD board...
    I have an LOTR which I added LED's to. There are four (4) lights above the path of the dead, that correspond to the switches. I installed frosted green LEDs there and they are a little too bright for my liking. I like the color, like the frosted look, but a tad too bright. Would the LED OCD board allow you to control the brightness of these LEDs?
    If I read everything correctly, the answer is yes - just looking for confirmation, if possible, on my specific situation.
    Thanks in advance!

yep, you can set the brightness level of each insert individually. it also adds a very short fade transition effect to them, to simulate how incandescents heat up over the course of a split second. it's much softer on the eyes in my opinion. this fade effect is also configurable.

#693 8 years ago

Excellent - thank you for the responses!

Looks like my LOTR violates my wallet yet again...

#694 8 years ago

Yes the OCD board works with thE POTD lamps, so long as a lamp is part of the lamp matrix it can be controlled with thr OCD board. LOTR looks simply brilliant with one, great choice

#695 8 years ago
    Quoted from Geocab:

My Bride had really bad ghosting with the LEDs it came with when I bought it so that's where it was a necessity in my eyes. Looks awesome now.

I have a new pf coming so I should really get one. I have them in my NASCAR and Avatar LE, I installed them right out of the box and they look fantastic with no adjustments. Did you do any adjustments to yours for your Bride? Did you have to buy the longer cables?

1 week later
    #696 8 years ago

So is this plug and play with a TSPP? Do i have to go in and change settings and / or program? a bit confused on all that....upgrading to LED's shortly and i know the flicker i have seen in videos would drive me nuts..... On the LED path regular or non-ghosting? I know i most likely will want the GIzmo board also.....

thank you for your help and patience with a modding newbie!
    -Jim

#697 8 years ago

usually it works great out of the box. the software config is generally for fine tuning. as for LEDs, try to get standard LEDs rather than non-ghosting or non-flicker ones. (the standard bulbs fade more smoothly)

#698 8 years ago
    Quoted from Homer714:

So is this plug and play with a TSPP? Do i have to go in and change settings and / or program? a bit confused on all that....upgrading to LED's shortly and i know the flicker i have seen in videos would drive me nuts..... On the LED path regular or non-ghosting? I know i most likely will want the GIzmo board also.....
    thank you for your help and patience with a modding newbie!
    -Jim

I have this in my TSPP. It's plug & play. I use Comet 2-SMD LEDs. Do not buy the non-ghosting LEDs.

#699 8 years ago

Hi Jim I have the OCD in T3, Avatar LE and NASCAR and like Mudflaps use the Comet 2-SMD's in the inserts. Right out of the box the board makes your game look OUT OF THIS WORLD! It's worth every penny and it's super simple to hook up. You won't regret the buy.

#700 8 years ago

I am about to buy three more. A great product. The only one I've programmed at all so far is ST. It requires a few sharper response curves on the toplanes and the lock target bank. TSPP is absolutely glorious straight out of the box.

There are 835 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-advanced-lamp-controller-shipping-with-wait-list/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.