Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Hi. I am an LED virgin. I have one bulb in my 10+ games. I was thinking of buying some from Comet and the sale they are going to have tomorrow.

Looking at the led rings for pop bumpers and some insert bulbs, maybe a game's worth of GI too.

Question: Should you match the color of the pop bumper cap / insert or just use white for everything, let the color of the cap / insert do the work?

#2 9 years ago

Depends on personal taste and the color of pop top. I'd send an email to Art as I'm told he has fantastic customer service and see what he recommends. Maybe ask about buying a few suggestions he has for different options that you can test and try.

Generally I color match but some platics like oranges and yellows look best with purple or warm white to me but again there's personal tastes that tie in.

#3 9 years ago

Buy enough for a few games and find out what you like
Get some warm white, cool white, red, blue and green

I'd leave the bumper rings until your next order. For now, just keep it simple

#4 9 years ago

What they said - get a variety so you can test and see what you like - you can't really go wrong with white so get a lot of those and then a variety of colors. I tend to choose frosted and natural white since it gives a nice spread of light. Luckily with 13 games you'll find a place for all your extra bulbs...

#5 9 years ago

i would definitely recommend color-matching pop bumpers and inserts. it makes the colors really stand out.

for GI, don't get too colorful. your best bet, especially as a beginner, is to stick with either warm or cool white, depending on the game and personal preference. to me, futuristic / space themes or games where the overall color scheme is blue / black / purple or similar colors at the cool end of the color scale, those games tend to look good with cool white GI lighting, and games with reds and yellows tend to look better with warm white in the GI. just my opinion, though.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i would definitely recommend color-matching pop bumpers and inserts. it makes the colors really stand out.
for GI, don't get too colorful. your best bet, especially as a beginner, is to stick with either warm or cool white, depending on the game and personal preference. to me, futuristic / space themes or games where the overall color scheme is blue / black / purple or similar colors at the cool end of the color scale, those games tend to look good with cool white GI lighting, and games with reds and yellows tend to look better with warm white in the GI. just my opinion, though.

Agree with Pez on all he said. Let the plastics look like they were designed to look with either whites. Comet's new sunlight 2 smd are incredible !! Inserts really pop with color matching, but white also looks great. Here's a pic of my TZ I just did last night with Comet whites.image.jpgimage.jpg

#7 9 years ago

Listen to Pez, I've seen a pic of his STTNG. It looks really nice.

#8 9 years ago

Edit: I also put a white 7 smd strip under the apron, shining out between the flippers.

#9 9 years ago

Sorry to jump on this thread but didn't want to open an almost identical thread just to ask another newbie question about LEDs.

I have been away from the pinball scene for probably best part of two years. Cointaker where all the rage now I'm seeing Comet recommended and other various LED companies so my question is:

Who provides the best LEDs now? Who is all the rage now? Best products most variety? I'm looking to LED a SEGA Goldeneye - will I need "ghostbusters" LEDs or has the quality of LEDs jump from 2012 to 2014 that all LEDs for pins dim now etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

#10 9 years ago

see, what you do, is pull out the old bulb. then if the LED your inserting has a plastic base with 2 little wires, you just push that into the socket.

Now if it has a metal cone shaped base. Things get a little more tricky. Those you have to line up the 2 little burrs on the side, with the slots cut out in the socket. Give it a firm push and rotate in a clockwise direction. I think there are youtube videos out there if your struggling.

#11 9 years ago

Any able to help with my questions above about which LED brand is best now?

Thanks

#12 9 years ago

I've only ever tried Comet and Cointaker and have been more than satisfied with both. I use Cointaker for most of mine, usually non-ghosted frosted premiums, with some super brights under large inserts.

I use Comet for their simple to install LED strips and their pop-bumper rings, as well as a few of their ultra-brights where I feel the need for them.

#13 9 years ago

Thanks Toyguy appreciate the reply and recommendation.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Any able to help with my questions above about which LED brand is best now?
Thanks

CometPinball and Cointaker are both great. Comet has an interesting selection of crazy and creative creations, but both sell high quality bulbs at a good price and have great customer service.

#15 9 years ago

Art at comet promptly answered my emails and gave me tons of info. I am waiting on the shipment to get started putting LEDs in my HS2. I saw one with LEDs and was sold.

I do notice flicker with LEDs in older games but they still look awesome. Side by side, games with LEDs and those without - there is no comparison. The other benefit is less stress on the electrical system so hopefully that spells longer lifetime.

#16 9 years ago

reduced heat and virtually no UV radiation are important benefits, too: less warping of plastics, and less fading of artwork.

#17 9 years ago

Does any led manufacturer make an 89 flasher with a clear or frosted dome on it?

I'd like some for the flasher bulbs that are visible and not hidden by a cap or dome. The only ones I can find have the LEDs exposed and aren't cosmetically appealing when not lit.

#18 9 years ago

All the leds come from the same place (china) so if you want to save money order from comet.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

Does any led manufacturer make an 89 flasher with a clear or frosted dome on it?
I'd like some for the flasher bulbs that are visible and not hidden by a cap or dome. The only ones I can find have the LEDs exposed and aren't cosmetically appealing when not lit.

You could just make a frosted dome yourself. Use that privacy spray that is like a frosting paint. Should work good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 169.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-noob-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.